Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
the dome video made me realize that to fight climate change i should have gone into helicopter maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

today a friend and i went out for lunch. he was complaining about personal liberties* because ontario has proof of vaccination requirements for dining in restaurants now. i was kind of annoyed about his whining so i said something like "you ain't seen nothing yet, i promise that in the next decade or so we'll be talking about this as the good old days because one way or another our lives are going to get a lot less free thanks to climate change"

he said something like "isn't the government doing stuff about this though? there are lots of windfarms in alberta now and we get our power from nuclear and hydroelectric" and i just kinda loled and shrugged but i didn't press it

*he's not an anti-vaxxer or anti-masker specifically but he's experienced a lot of racism so he doesn't trust cops or anything that even smells a bit like "papers please"

I think everyone in this thread has probably had that conversation.

"Hey things are pretty hosed"
"What do you mean? Tesla!"
"....What?"
"Vote."

kater
Nov 16, 2010

“have you given any more thought to moving”
“have you”
“lol”
“lmao”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kaxman posted:

the dome video made me realize that to fight climate change i should have gone into helicopter maintenance

lol new thread sub-title (except i really like the og title so maybe not yet)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1440861768155217922

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Look, you aren't allowed any more from your water ration today.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but you only have 30L on your daily payment plan for the duration of Q3.

No, sir, that's for Premium customers only.

Let us know if we can do anything else for you today.

Alright, I'm sorry that we couldn't help you, good night.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
the conclusion of that kurzgesagt video is a joke right? i watched it expecting a record scratch but it never came

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

I wonder what kind of achievements they're thinking of. Like... All the impressive walls, monuments, buildings, machines, etc. made with free energy from slave labor and/or oil?

"Stupid Colombo, you will run out of provisions before you reach Cathay and there is NOT two continents full of people without firearms or antibodies to kill"

or maybe

"Stupid Janszoon, no way Terra Australis actually exists and is ALSO filled with people lacking guns and immunities"

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

kater posted:

“have you given any more thought to moving”
“have you”
“lol”
“lmao”

If you dont like the disasters that will murder you where you're at you still have time to move some place with disasters that will murder you that you do like

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Serf posted:

well clearly i need to up my plastic-eating game

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
eating the babies would have a far better effect on the environment though

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also who cares if there's microplastic in poop doesn't that mean it's just passing through us nbd? not like they're finding it in our blood

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

500 good dogs posted:

A Modest Proposal to Solve Climate Change

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

the conclusion of that kurzgesagt video is a joke right? i watched it expecting a record scratch but it never came

it's the principal skinner meme.

"Could it be that the climate is hosed and we can do nothing about it?"
"..............................Well we need to vote and advocate for better change"

It is definitely progress though as the questions get more frantic and the awkward silences get longer. We are still at the point where people just choose the more comforting answer regardless of the real one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

boofing gengineered saccharomyces cerevisiae to give myself microplastic fueled auto brewery syndrome

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Buck Turgidson posted:

kurzgesagt are cornucopians

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

500 good dogs posted:

also who cares if there's microplastic in poop doesn't that mean it's just passing through us nbd? not like they're finding it in our blood
uh no because some percentage gets permanently absorbed into tissue; which they do find. throwing a bunch of hormonal/endocrine disruptors in a developing mushy fetus to infant is loving horrible; and even so for an adult

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Xaris posted:

uh no because some percentage gets permanently absorbed into tissue; which they do find. throwing a bunch of hormonal/endocrine disruptors in a developing mushy fetus to infant is loving horrible; and even so for an adult

got it, back to eating the babies then while they're relative low-plastic level in the meat

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Capitalism and bioaccumulation SHOULD work the same way, how do we get this plastic into Bezos

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

Did you not just see they are full of microplastic

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

500 good dogs posted:

got it, back to eating the babies then while they're relative low-plastic level in the meat

lol you'll just end up bioaccumulating microplastics from your all baby diet

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I'm Jeff and I can afford to get the plastic filtered out of my blood

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Perry Mason Jar posted:

He really is a coward though, he kept following them. Activism is pointless, let's get that out of the way. Anyhoo, who cares if his own protestors die? They are taking that risk. They will die prematurely, as their children will, and they had no choice in that. In this at least they get to exercise choice. Who cares if an old lady died cause she couldn't get to hospital cause of protests? How many seniors died in England in the heatwave two summers ago? How many will die when the roads split in half, and loving nobody can get to hospital? I think he's a little squeamish for activism. He invokes Churchill and war but doesn't see it as a war at all or else doesn't know what war is.

The old lady didn't even die

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I will simply embrace symbiosis and transcend humanity

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

lol you'll just end up bioaccumulating microplastics from your all baby diet

since we'll all be eating bugs soon enough, have they checked those for microplastic?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

500 good dogs posted:

since we'll all be eating bugs soon enough, have they checked those for microplastic?

The world’s birds eat up to 550 million tons of insects annually, and every one of those bugs could be carrying around microplastic, according to a new study published in the journal Biology Letters.

A team of researchers came to this conclusion after feeding microplastic to mosquito larvae and then observing how the plastic remained in the insects throughout their lives. Since microplastics pervade bodies of water where mosquitoes form, it’s likely that the insects, and many others, are naturally consuming microplastics in the wild. And that means that creatures who eat bugs could be getting an extra dose of plastic in their already plastic-stuffed diets.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

people are feeding them plastic on purpose? geez no wonder it’s in everything’s poop.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

The world’s birds eat up to 550 million tons of insects annually, and every one of those bugs could be carrying around microplastic, according to a new study published in the journal Biology Letters.

A team of researchers came to this conclusion after feeding microplastic to mosquito larvae and then observing how the plastic remained in the insects throughout their lives. Since microplastics pervade bodies of water where mosquitoes form, it’s likely that the insects, and many others, are naturally consuming microplastics in the wild. And that means that creatures who eat bugs could be getting an extra dose of plastic in their already plastic-stuffed diets.

lol it's funny how many different ways we're all hosed

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

life in plastic
it's fantastic

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpTIrx6uAA
Liberal vs. liberal.
e: sorry, this has already been posted itt.
here's a cool interview with the great ksr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se7kWYWuvq0 about climate change/his book/etc. spoiler alert: he thinks tech will save us but otherwise is rather on to it imho

Lampsacus has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Sep 23, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Buck Turgidson posted:

John Oliver has done a bunch of episodes like this. he details some important hugely problematic issue that is rarely if ever covered in other media and even sometimes mentions how people have been trying for years to get reforms only to watch as everything keeps getting worse, but then he ends with “give to this charity that has failed continuously” or “call your senator who I mentioned in this piece as being a major corrupting part of the problem.”

he is incapable of saying there is nothing that can be done, he always wants to end on a hopeful note, but he really should just start being honest.

nothing is ever going to get better.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

lol

lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

yes and no. a lot of the bad poo poo is baked in. if we can do stuff the next 10 years though then the future will be Tolerable. if we don't (we won't) the future will be Intolerable.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

RIP Syndrome posted:

Forgot to rip on this

I wonder what kind of achievements they're thinking of. Like... All the impressive walls, monuments, buildings, machines, etc. made with free energy from slave labor and/or oil?

the new iphone

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the moment that guy in the chapo interview was like whoa... what if they managed to be eco friendly but still made money... is it still capitalism? i started lollin

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

yes and no. a lot of the bad poo poo is baked in. if we can do stuff the next 10 years though then the future will be Tolerable. if we don't (we won't) the future will be Intolerable.
Oh man, I was having cringeish flashbacks when watching the Khruangbin - in a nutshell climate change video when they mentioned footprints. There is a big new mural downtown emphasising and centering "your personal carbon footprint". (wellington, aotearoa). I did a epstein-thread-esque small research into who is funding the mural and it's a small business association in the UK :whatthechrist:
I mean, I'm glad the video mentioned the marketing birthing of the personalcarbonfootprint meme but I'm annoyed they didn't go further and say BP literally planned it for years to, according to leaked internal docs, to literally move the responsibility on them in a very cynical and aware way.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How hard would it be to spraypaint "corporate" over the first two words

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

SKULL.GIF posted:

Within our lifetimes it'll be intolerable either way; the difference is more about mitigating the risk of human extinction a couple centuries further down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hubbert posted:

Look, you aren't allowed any more from your water ration today.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but you only have 30L on your daily payment plan for the duration of Q3.

No, sir, that's for Premium customers only.

Let us know if we can do anything else for you today.

Alright, I'm sorry that we couldn't help you, good night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANZUU_ev5HU

"I'm sorry, sir - we're only allowed to include 5% real water in your imitation aqueous solution."