Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Are there any literature classics or good books that have not been translated to the English language yet? I ask because I enjoyed the decagon mysteries thread but that took along time to be translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, loads. What are you looking for?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Are there any literature classics or good books that have not been translated to the English language yet? I ask because I enjoyed the decagon mysteries thread but that took along time to be translated.

there are hundreds of insane literary masterpieces you haven't heard of that aren't in english yet.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Even hundreds is way too few :D

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe Korean historical stuff. Non fiction if possible.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 30, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lex Neville posted:

Even hundreds is way too few :D

There are a few million books published in the world every year. Even if only 0,01% of them are good, that's a few hundred new good books every year. Historically, probably fewer books were published yearly, but there have been a lot of years in history.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_awards

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been readong 1Q84 as of late. It's good, and there'a ton going on in this book it feels like, but man the pacing feels incredibly slow.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah, it was too slow for me. Just finished Murakami's new short story collection and it's quite good though not on the level of The Elephant Vanishes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

I've been readong 1Q84 as of late. It's good, and there'a ton going on in this book it feels like, but man the pacing feels incredibly slow.

there's basically a solid-ish 300 page book hidden in that tome. which, honestly, you could probably come up with a mathematical ratio for "actual book:pages about getting horny for teenagers" to describe Murakami

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

IQ8Bore!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Part of me feels like I should have cut my losses already, but I'm half way through so it I'd just feel like I wasted my time if I dropped it now

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't remember who recommended The locusts have no king by Dawn Powell, but thank you. Depictions of old New York are so comfy, and she has an unbelievable eye for picking apart the neurosis high society and middle class strivers to satirize it. Reminds me quite a bit of Confederacy of Dunces but with more convincing pathos.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Roth posted:

Part of me feels like I should have cut my losses already, but I'm half way through so it I'd just feel like I wasted my time if I dropped it now

Sunken cost fallacy.

You've already wasted x number of hours, how does that become more meaningful if you waste an additional y number of hours? You're just wasting more time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I have to drop it after sex scene between Tengo and Fuka-Eri. Really not my thing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Another TBB success story.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A freshly made ear and a freshly made vagina look very much alike

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone know if Amazon ever has big sales on Kindle books like steam does with games?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

LiterallyATomato posted:

Anyone know if Amazon ever has big sales on Kindle books like steam does with games?

I check the daily deals everyday but otherwise there's no black friday sales of ebooks I can remember and the reason I think is that ebooks are sold on the agency system: publishers set their own prices, Amazon doesn't control it. Publishers will also
randomly put ebooks on sale that you'd completely miss if you were only looking at Amazon's Kindle Deals page. What works best I think is making a wishlist with only ebooks on it and then like everyday check it, sort it from Price Low to High and check; I've caught many great ebook deals over the years that never showed up on Amazon's ebook deals pages.

Sometimes the wishlist sort filter doesnt work right so I have 2 ebook only wishlists, a shorter one for things I dont want to miss, since my main ebook wishlist is very long and sometimes a book will be on sale for like $1.99 but it's still sorted at its normal price of $14.99 in the wishlist, so it's not as foolproof as you'd hope.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Also to add your local library system may have an ebook loan system that would be worth checking out, mine does and it's easy and convenient.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

whats a good app for my kindle that i can use to read ebooks that ARENT sold by amazon
i have the files on my NAS and before someone suggests the calibre companion app, i tried that, it's a pile of steaming dogshit, it does not work whatsoever

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Calibre is what pretty much everyone uses but it can take a little setup. What's your problem with it precisely? Maybe we can help troubleshoot.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Calibre is what pretty much everyone uses but it can take a little setup. What's your problem with it precisely? Maybe we can help troubleshoot.

my problem is i got the companion app, got it all set up, the servers running on my pc n poo poo, but the companion app can't find it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Also, what kind of files do you have?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What companion app? What's a NAS? I use calibre the program and use USB to go from my computer to my kindle.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Also, what kind of files do you have?

EPUB and PDF files

StrixNebulosa posted:

What companion app? What's a NAS? I use calibre the program and use USB to go from my computer to my kindle.

calibre on my actual PC works just fine
a NAS is basically a fuckinn storage server you connect to your network so you can have a dedicated cloud server running on your own hardware or whatever
mine's a synology DS220+, one of these fuckers

there's a calibre companion app for the kindle fire (couldnt find a regular app i guess) which requires you to connect it to an already-running instance of regular calibre - except it doesnt work

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hbag posted:

EPUB and PDF files

calibre on my actual PC works just fine
a NAS is basically a fuckinn storage server you connect to your network so you can have a dedicated cloud server running on your own hardware or whatever
mine's a synology DS220+, one of these fuckers

there's a calibre companion app for the kindle fire (couldnt find a regular app i guess) which requires you to connect it to an already-running instance of regular calibre - except it doesnt work

It’s a known issue that the companion app can’t find files it didn’t put there, or you can make it scan for new titles. Could it be that? Also, condolences on your PDFs, I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Calibre and Amazon are in a bit of a drm Arms race anyway; a lot of people use calibre plug-ins to strip Amazon's copy protection (amazon will slap rights management onto anything from the Kindle store, even free download ebook files that still have the project Gutenberg front language in them).

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

It’s a known issue that the companion app can’t find files it didn’t put there, or you can make it scan for new titles. Could it be that? Also, condolences on your PDFs, I guess.

its not that it isnt finding books, its that it isnt connecting at all

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hbag posted:

its not that it isnt finding books, its that it isnt connecting at all

Would downloading the Kindle app on your fire, using calibre to convert your books to mobi and emailing them to your kindle mail address work for you? It’s a bit of work but the best way I can think of. I guess there are probably decent epub apps on Android, but I’m not familiar with the platform.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Calibre and Amazon are in a bit of a drm Arms race anyway; a lot of people use calibre plug-ins to strip Amazon's copy protection (amazon will slap rights management onto anything from the Kindle store, even free download ebook files that still have the project Gutenberg front language in them).

This is me, stripping away DRM from books I bought on amazon because gently caress that, I want my book to be free.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Would downloading the Kindle app on your fire, using calibre to convert your books to mobi and emailing them to your kindle mail address work for you? It’s a bit of work but the best way I can think of. I guess there are probably decent epub apps on Android, but I’m not familiar with the platform.

honestly i figured amazon would piss and poo poo if you tried to use books with the kindle app that you hadnt paid them for but i could try it i guess

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I just copy them over via USB

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hbag posted:

honestly i figured amazon would piss and poo poo if you tried to use books with the kindle app that you hadnt paid them for but i could try it i guess

Most of my library is mobi files I've emailed over and Amazon has even stored them for me when I upgraded devices. They don't care yet.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hbag posted:

honestly i figured amazon would piss and poo poo

Don’t worry, they have a bottle for that

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah i guess theyve moved on to selling literally everything and slave labor so they dont care too much about peddling books these days

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hbag posted:

yeah i guess theyve moved on to selling literally everything and slave labor so they dont care too much about peddling books these days

*looks at the trashfire goodreads is*

You're onto something here

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

hbag posted:

whats a good app for my kindle that i can use to read ebooks that ARENT sold by amazon
i have the files on my NAS and before someone suggests the calibre companion app, i tried that, it's a pile of steaming dogshit, it does not work whatsoever

https://www.sendepubtokindle.com/

?

I use that to send epubs from my computer to my kindle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1440706501463605251?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Megazver posted:

I think people's brains worked different back then. We've been rewired by the internet.

I like wordy descriptive books. I love stuff like GRRM's depictions of medieval feasts or RJ detailing the backstory of every random villager from Emonds Field. (Not being ironic.)