Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd39zSY9F04
I blast this everyday on my way to the Gym before work. You really just gotta put yourself in a positive mental headspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Magus posted:

look, all i'm saying is that A Short Hike is literally the most well designed game i have ever played

this was my #6 game of 2019, like it is the open-and-shut "the wholesome games movement is done because this game already did it perfectly"

although i should play that painting game i guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/1440728953941999628

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hades won the official GotY 2020 award, as seen on somethingawful dot com slash forums (by gamers, for gamers)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

Hades won the official GotY 2020 award, as seen on somethingawful dot com slash forums (by gamers, for gamers)

Maybe they meant best game of 2020 to poop on. Twitter does have that character limit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think 13sents was like 3rd (p good for a console “sclusie” (exclusive))

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

13 Sentinels owns

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I think 13sents was like 3rd (p good for a console “sclusie” (exclusive))

The top ten for 2020 was as follows:

10. The Last Of Us Part II
09. CyberPunk 2077
08. Disco Elysium
07. Ghost of Tsushima
06. Final Fantasy XIV
05. Animal Crossing New Horizons
04. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
03. Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon
02. Final Fantasy VII Remake
01. Hades

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd love to see where cyberpunk lands this year. People stopped taking about it pretty fast.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d be surprised if it was on a single list

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I still think of the person who listed it as their goty before it even came out, sometimes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Animal crossing would be a bigger surprise to me, it’s not bad ofc but it was a real right-place-right-time deal for many of us I think

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

unfortunately 13 sentinels doesn't exist for me since it's only on ps4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hey that’s not fair, it’s on PS5 too!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Far cry 6 is definitely gonna be on my GotY list this year, idk if it’s out yet but I really like the watch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sable devs, please, I beg you, let the characters animate at 60fps instead of 24 it looks like dogshit

Edit: If you wont do that please let me put sprint and or jump on the otherwise unused trigger buttons

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VideoGames posted:

09. CyberPunk 2077
08. Disco Elysium
07. Ghost of Tsushima
06. Final Fantasy XIV
01. Hades

Three of the top four were my top three last year, and the other one will be on my list this year

I am either an arbiter of taste, or a sheep

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yo, Sable is what Breath of the Wild should have been in my opinion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: HEY FELLAS :siren:

WANT A PS5 THIS YEAR

COME DOWN TO BEST BUY FOR TODAY ONLY AND GET A TICKET TO GET ONE CONSOLE PER PERSON

DOOR OPEN @7:30 AM LOCAL

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

09. CyberPunk 2077
08. Disco Elysium
07. Ghost of Tsushima
06. Final Fantasy XIV
01. Hades

i only played one of these and im only interested in two others. very bad list!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

I still think of the person who listed it as their goty before it even came out, sometimes

There are still some heroes in this world

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hades is weird because it's like objectively a very good well made game and I played it for maybe 50 or 60 hours this year but I have no desire to put it in my top 10

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I tried to do that today and I really really underestimated demand. At 7 the line at my store ran so long they went around the building and into the street. In the rain no less. I should have gone at like 5 am.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

yeah for me Hades felt insanely good as i was playing it, but then i reached a point where i was like... yep, this is over now, i'm never touching it again. it WAS great but the GOTY bas to be a game i'll still be playing for years to come. like Skyrim

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

i only played one of these and im only interested in two others. very bad list!

Play Yakuza: Like a Dragon, it is extremely good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i will, when i play all the others

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Hades is Supergiants 4th best game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Two of the games from that top 10 list I have played and completed this year and will be featuring on my list.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played one of the games on that list this year and am quite confident it will not be placing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pyre is still the best Supergiant game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've only played Bastion, it was good

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

Pyre is still the best Supergiant game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked Bastion pretty good and then I've never really liked another Supergiant game so maybe 5th time's the charm

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I never played Pyre because I never understood what it was and any time I looked at a stream it was just a creature that looked like it came from Monster Rancher doing VN stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I never played Pyre because I never understood what it was and any time I looked at a stream it was just a creature that looked like it came from Monster Rancher doing VN stuff

It's kinda half VN, half magical sports RPG with shades of Valkyrie Profile (not the gameplay, but the story idea that doing well means you lose your friends one by one). Does pretty cool stuff with branching narrative, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its half vn and half 3 on 3 wizard basketball

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

It's kinda half VN, half magical sports RPG with shades of Valkyrie Profile (not the gameplay, but the story idea that doing well means you lose your friends one by one). Does pretty cool stuff with branching narrative, too.

homeless snail posted:

its half vn and half 3 on 3 wizard basketball

math says that this means valkyrie profile is 3 on 3 wizard basketball

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pyre isn't really like any other game I can think of, it sort of alternates between VN dialog segments and a real-time mode that can only be described as Wizard Basketball. If you get into the characters and their development it can be incredibly compelling and moving but if you aren't I could see how it would be hard to tell what if anything is actually happening

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think one of the design goals for Pyre was to make a game with no "game over" state, but where the narrative can continue to make sense if you lose a "battle." They did this again with Hades just by making a roguelite with an immortal protagonist, but with Pyre, they did it by making the "battles" magical basketball matches instead of actual fights, and then using some light branching narrative stuff so that the story can just continue and continue to make sense even if you lose every single match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

If you’re sad, do you listen to sad music or happy music?

when i'm sad i listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iIzvm02XY