Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

chaosapiant posted:

This is amazing.

Thanks! The interior is a Glitch Museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sometimes, you're the precursors making weird poo poo for no reason.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, now I wish I had money for a PS5 this year, on PS4 making something that large is asking for trouble. (Though after the latest round of updates at least the limited bases I have are now stable, if not still a little bit wonky: My biggest industrial base still has blizzards just going straight through, for example. But at least the animals now won't get in and the default drawing distance is now high enough the upper levels at least render before you try to go up there and ram your head into the glass!)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The next gen versions still run like poo poo but the grass is prettier.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Libluini posted:

It would probably be to deeply unfun. Remember how your hazard protection drains at around +100 °C temperatures? Now imagine it drains 4x faster. Also, the effect of a highly acidic atmosphere has to be added in. 8x faster. Also, huge pressure. 16x faster.

Good luck keeping yourself alive! Very "fun".

Yeah but i want some fear and trepidation when youre entering a planets' atmosphere, like theres that small chance you'll start descending through the clouds expecting any moment to see the surface but you just keep going down and down and it gets darker and darker and your ship starts groaning and suddenly the screen shatters and its all over!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh who's bright idea was it for you to build a base before getting a flyable ship? Spent likely an hour shuttling back and fourth with a stolen minotaur because i had to find a clear spot to build a base. Next time choose a multi planet system and scatter everyones spawns THEN have them jump first and build a base afterwards so you don't got this server melting cluster gently caress.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Libluini posted:

It would probably be to deeply unfun. Remember how your hazard protection drains at around +100 °C temperatures? Now imagine it drains 4x faster. Also, the effect of a highly acidic atmosphere has to be added in. 8x faster. Also, huge pressure. 16x faster.

Good luck keeping yourself alive! Very "fun".
It could be fun, if it was done right, because it might actually add some sort of progression to the game. "That place contains incredible rewards but you're gonna have to tool/level up if you want to survive there" is a pretty fundamental game mechanic that NMS is totally lacking.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah kinda like subnautica. The more you venture out for different resources, the more dangerous it gets.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Planets with extreme conditions would also give more use for the exocrafts.

By the way, what's the Minotaur for, exactly?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

HoboTech posted:

god its so loving bad, ive never used it before this expedition and dang, its awful

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HoboTech posted:

Nms gundam! Also you can scan for certain building types with it. Its movement feels slughish just walking, but the jet pack jumping makes up for it.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

queeb posted:

god its so loving bad, ive never used it before this expedition and dang, its awful

ZombieCrew posted:

Nms gundam! Also you can scan for certain building types with it. Its movement feels slughish just walking, but the jet pack jumping makes up for it.

It is the single worst-controlling vehicle from any game I have ever played, especially in first person. It has the turning radius of a twelve story office building, and while the jump is... fine, it doesn't make up for the handling when you're on the ground. Honestly I use the Roamer to collect things on planets for cash and nanites and little else, though at least the other crafts are fun to pilot.

I wish the huge one (forgot the name) was more of a mobile base that you could get into a walk around in. That's one thing this game is missing, large mobile land bases.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Better than the nautilus for some underwater poo poo, especially "before you have the weird underwater poo poo needed to make the nautilus worth using in any situation ever in the first place"

Free hazard protection in all biomes with no additional crafting needed

Harvest poo poo from in the suit including pickups, aka "easiest way to get storm crystals fast if you can't afford a single major hazard tech upgrade and a stack of ion batteries"

That's pretty much it in terms of "actually using it" though, waypoint scanning excluded (since that's always just dropping an exocraft for 0.5 seconds to scan and flying away). Always be cboosting in it, too, why they even bothered to give it legs in the first place is a mystery

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HoboTech posted:

It is the single worst-controlling vehicle from any game I have ever played, especially in first person. It has the turning radius of a twelve story office building, and while the jump is... fine, it doesn't make up for the handling when you're on the ground. Honestly I use the Roamer to collect things on planets for cash and nanites and little else, though at least the other crafts are fun to pilot.

I wish the huge one (forgot the name) was more of a mobile base that you could get into a walk around in. That's one thing this game is missing, large mobile land bases.

Funny story, I avoided using the PRAWN in subnautica for forever because I just assumed it would be as poo poo as the minotaur, until I was forced to use it and found out about it's pro tier god punching capabilities

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Better than the nautilus for some underwater poo poo, especially "before you have the weird underwater poo poo needed to make the nautilus worth using in any situation ever in the first place"

Free hazard protection in all biomes with no additional crafting needed

Harvest poo poo from in the suit including pickups, aka "easiest way to get storm crystals fast if you can't afford a single major hazard tech upgrade and a stack of ion batteries"

That's pretty much it in terms of "actually using it" though, waypoint scanning excluded (since that's always just dropping an exocraft for 0.5 seconds to scan and flying away). Always be cboosting in it, too, why they even bothered to give it legs in the first place is a mystery

Yeah minotaur is probably the most useful exocraft because of how versatile it is but it's control scheme is loving terrible. Why it doesn't use directional controls for it's feet and mouse for torso twist is beyond me--just copy mechwarrior.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Okay, another question - sometimes when I'm buzzing around in space I'll come across an event that's a blown-up freighter just hanging out. Is there anything you can do with those? I flew around one of them for a bit, even flying into the remains of the parking bay, but nothing pinged at me. Are these just for atmosphere? I know the ones you find crashed on planets have cargo pods you can loot.

edit: I'll try the minotaur out for the storm crystal thing, seems to be the most practical use of it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
95% of those "anomalies" are basically screenshot/picture fodder, the blown up freighters sometimes have some cargo floating around that you can shoot for a couple minerals but thats it

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish they would do a full derelict freighter encounter when they do those. It's a little confusing as-is. I assume the pulse drive anomaly thing came first before they added those.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

95% of those "anomalies" are basically screenshot/picture fodder, the blown up freighters sometimes have some cargo floating around that you can shoot for a couple minerals but thats it

The best one is the moon-sized skull.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The best one is the moon-sized skull.

im sorry the what

Does the game start showing your weirder and weirder things the closer to the center you get? I'll be honest I've had this game since day 1 and never really made the attempt to get there.

e: Also just wanted to say it's really nice when you find a planet with buried tech modules, the buried bones that are worth a lot of money, and just a ton of the cargo expansion pods. You can roll around, collecting money/nanites/data thingies and it's actually incredibly relaxing, and your inventory is continuously expanding as you find and repair the pods. I'm sure there's more effective ways to make money but it's just so chill.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 22, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HoboTech posted:

im sorry the what

Does the game start showing your weirder and weirder things the closer to the center you get? I'll be honest I've had this game since day 1 and never really made the attempt to get there.

Not necessarily, no. Every solar system has a specific associated RNG seed that determines (at least initially, I'm not sure if it resets or stops after N anomalies) "which anomalies you run into and in what order", which is how people can do things like "farm a specific anomaly for stuff" by going to a system that has that one first in the list and then save/logout/login and get the same anomaly again.

I think in theory you could just squat in one system wherever forever and eventually see all of them, even if it would take a long drat time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HoboTech posted:

Being really annoying. In 3rd Person mode it feels like the dumb thing is always blocking your view, and in 1st Person mode you realize that the cockpit window has the visibility of a batysphere-window. You feel totally blind stumbling around in your mech.

Also, it's too slow ugh :mad:

Exocraft are kind of hit and miss, overall. The Nautilus is neat because subs are always neat, but all the exotic materials you'll need to keep it running and upgraded only being available underwater generates an odd Catch-22. Imagine if submarines IRL depended solely on stuff you have to harvest from the oceans first. It would be kind o strange, wouldn't it?

The space motor cycle looks fancy, but isn't actually that much faster than the Roamer. The good old space car became my favorite exocraft after I realized it's as fast as the motor cycle.

The huge exocraft I never found an excuse to use for: I already have all the storage I could feasibly need, and I'm guessing it's slow as all hell. No thanks.

So my personal ranking list of NMS-exocraft would be:

1.) Roamer: Fast, reliable, sweet looking
2.) Hovercycle: Can float on water. Arguably more useful on water planets than the actual submarine.
3.) Spacy cycle: Well, it looks really good and has no obvious drawbacks!
4.) Nautilus: Needs exotic materials and is kind of sluggish and slow. But it's a submarine which gives it a lot of bonus points
5.) Minotaur: I really want to love this thing, because mech. But ugh it's so bad! :mad:
6.) Huge Roamer Thing: It's big and that's it. Next!

Is there any exocraft I missed?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I exclusively use the Nomad (floaty small craft) because you can just bomb over every terrain type at top speed. Its only real downside is the lack of environmental protection.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 23, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i rarely use any of the exocraft because it seems like no matter what planet im on it always like driving for about 30 seconds and then falling into a cave. i dont know why there are so many caves all over the place. on every single planet

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's me, I'm the one guy who really loves the mech. You just gotta figure out how to use it, because it's not intuitive. It's not at all what I thought a mech should be (like, able to actually walk anywhere at speed). As I posted earlier in the thread:

quote:

Mech Tips:

Don't try to turn and walk at the same time. Turn while stationary to whatever direction you need to go. It doesn't turn as slowly if all it is doing is turning.

Always be jumping. Don't walk anywhere unless you're going like two feet. Jumping is your primary mode of movement in the mech. So, turn to face whatever direction you are going and then hold forward and that jump button and never let go until you are there.

If you slam three S-rank movement upgrades in it, it's a pretty fast way to travel, and it never flips/get stuck in holes/etc. And you can collect storm crystals from inside of it as a bonus. I love the dumb thing, but it's definitely different than what I originally thought a mech would be like.

Basically never try to walk and turn at the same time. Never try to use the torso twist for...anything, unless you're actually trying to use its lasers for some reason, just forget that stick is even there. ALWAYS BE JUMPING. Spin to aim at your target direction and jump jump jump

It really needs the S-class movement upgrades to feel any good, so it's probably still trash for getting started in expeditions. But I love the drat thing for hazardous planets or getting across terrain quick if it's not far enough to want to use the ship. Also it looks rad in VR

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see the Minotaur isn't completely useless!

But still, nothing beats just sitting in your Roamer and rushing through the landscape at high speeds, with nothing able to stop you!

(Holes can be defeated by climbing up with your jetpack and re-summoning your car. It's probably as fast as having the Minotaur climb out on its own.)

More importantly, how behaves the Minotaur under water? We have one exocraft that swims, one that hovers, and the Roamer has to move very slowly over the ground, or it starts to float and stops. (I haven't used the Pilgrim and the Colossus under water yet.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

Nice to see the Minotaur isn't completely useless!

But still, nothing beats just sitting in your Roamer and rushing through the landscape at high speeds, with nothing able to stop you!

(Holes can be defeated by climbing up with your jetpack and re-summoning your car. It's probably as fast as having the Minotaur climb out on its own.)

More importantly, how behaves the Minotaur under water? We have one exocraft that swims, one that hovers, and the Roamer has to move very slowly over the ground, or it starts to float and stops. (I haven't used the Pilgrim and the Colossus under water yet.)

Underwater, it jumps pretty much the same as it does on land. Only caveat is if you're dealing with an ocean that's really deep and there's no commonly found incline to get out. It doesn't have unlimited upward thrust underwater. I almost got stuck once when I tried to use it on a world that was pretty much all deep ocean and all of the islands were mushroom shaped (so broad on top and thin underneath) which meant I couldn't land on one of the island stalks and then get around the edge to get on top. I eventually found a rock formation that I could jump up to get out, but it took awhile. But for normal oceans and lakes where you have a shore to get out on, it works well.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The big exocraft is actually amazing for base building early on and just grabbing every resource you can see but beware sentinels as you'll create a path of destruction behind you haha. I would drive to close things in it just mining literally everything my laser could reach and with multiple mining laser upgrades you'll denude the landscape in seconds.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Libluini posted:

sure but imo that kind of constant starting and stopping is a lot more irritating than simply flying in a spaceship

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

If you're in the Roamer you can hop with the spacebar. Combine that with the booster and I usually either hop over/just out of most of the holes. There are planets that either don't have the holes or don't have a ton of them but you've got to get lucky with that. Seems like I'll be cruising along just fine for a long stretch until I come to a segment of the planet that the procgen just decided to make swiss cheese out of.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Knowing the 'shoot everything with your spaceship' trick to harvesting resources is making the expeditions base building so much easier haha. I have literally blasted away everything around my base and now i'm shooting the advanced mining laser stuff from the landing pad every time i need to top off.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

Knowing the 'shoot everything with your spaceship' trick to harvesting resources is making the expeditions base building so much easier haha. I have literally blasted away everything around my base and now i'm shooting the advanced mining laser stuff from the landing pad every time i need to top off.

My personal base building cheat has been building bases to harvest building resources for me: I have bases to get chromatic metal, a base solely for harvesting huge masses of magnetized ferrite, a base for oxygen and so on. If I ever run out of stuff, I just need to make a collection run and my maxed-out cargo inventory is back to full. :v:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arghy posted:

Ugh who's bright idea was it for you to build a base before getting a flyable ship? Spent likely an hour shuttling back and fourth with a stolen minotaur because i had to find a clear spot to build a base. Next time choose a multi planet system and scatter everyones spawns THEN have them jump first and build a base afterwards so you don't got this server melting cluster gently caress.

Yeah I just started this season and it's not fun. Basebuilding is already the weakest part of NMS, but putting you down surrounded by other people with objectives you just can't do because other bases are already placed is just bad design.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It's kinda nuts how i'm choosing stars off the beaten path and finding out others have gotten there first AND scanned everything. I really hope the reward goes across my characters because i already have a save i've invested a ton in so having another char with unique stuff isn't really my jam. Gonna be pissed if i find out i wasted 6+ hours on a char i don't even want haha.

My new base building jam is build really really high with a teleport pad going to the ground but the fact that landing pads don't have supports is irking me. So far i've just surrounded a landing pad with 4 prefabs with the foundation under the 4 prefabs. Once again i'm just let down by no 2 story buildings though i suppose i could just use the alloys to create a 2 story building on the 4 prefabs but it'd just be easier if i could snap some prefab buildings together so i don't need ugly wires.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arghy posted:

It's kinda nuts how i'm choosing stars off the beaten path and finding out others have gotten there first AND scanned everything. I really hope the reward goes across my characters because i already have a save i've invested a ton in so having another char with unique stuff isn't really my jam. Gonna be pissed if i find out i wasted 6+ hours on a char i don't even want haha.

I don't remember having to scan unique stuff for the latest expedition, but expedition rewards do carry over between saves (but stuff bought with quicksilver doesn't)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Colossus was really good back in the day when it was still a lot of work to upgrade your personal storage and now it's still useful as just moving strip mine machine.

These days I basically just have it set up as my stasis machine assembly factory and it doesn't go much farther than one side of my base to other if it moves at all.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah I just started this season and it's not fun. Basebuilding is already the weakest part of NMS, but putting you down surrounded by other people with objectives you just can't do because other bases are already placed is just bad design.

Yeah whatever algorithm they used to distribute players really screwed some people over. And just the nature of the game, and the tricks that people use to extend the size of their base, they encourage people to box everyone else in around them.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

After finishing the expedition I went back and deleted my base on the off chance that it makes one persons life a little easier.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

PeePot posted:

After finishing the expedition I went back and deleted my base on the off chance that it makes one persons life a little easier.

Oh poo poo that's a good idea, I might do that with my basic base (but not the JUMP TOWER)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I got lucky and 2nd freighter encounter was an A class robocop but for some reason i don't see the exocraft summoner in the upgrades. Is there a reason or is it just compressed into the the teleporter module now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PeePot posted:

Does this actually remove the claim? I'm beginning to think part of the bugginess when on a heavily populated planet is it'll still show up as a claimed base even if everything is removed since I saw a few plots of land near where I started with no base, but sure enough I couldn't dig or even drop my my foundry due to no dig permissions.
Either that or the person had subterranean bases that had been fully absorbed by the geography rebuilding around them.