Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Before they invented the dry gas meter, the only way of counting gas was with a wet meter, which bubbled the gas up through water to turn a paddle wheel to drive the counter. In order to be even vaguely accurate these meters had to be huge - like a metre or so across - and also could only deal with large flows, the tiny amounts used in homes were basically uncountable, so everyone just paid a fixed weekly amount based on how many gas jets (for lighting) and burners they had in their house.

If you flick through turn-of-the-century housekeeping magazines they're full of handy hints and terrifying gadgets designed to take advantage of the fact that you could just leave all the burners on all the time (and in fact were a fool if you didn't do so because your neighbours definitely were and so you were subsidising them if you didn't) - from stuff like quickly-removable adaptors to turn a single lamp jet into a multiple-jet fitting (requiring you yo saw through the gas pipe to fit it) to actual internal combustion engines to run wash agitators and mangles. It's frankly a miracle our great*n grandparents ever survived long enough to have kids.

And that’s why they are still called gas meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

serious gaylord posted:

SSE or British Gas.

Anyone else is legit a risk.

SSE was bought by Ovo, who are apparently now the 2nd or 3rd biggest supplier in the UK

I used to work for Ovo, and while it was a poo poo job (customer service) and I got sacked (lol) I felt that they were a pretty decent company. I'd go for them if I were in the UK

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah he said that so that the 'left' wouldnt immediately fall into doing exactly what the right did and just wreck things for the sake of it. As soon as Kiers colours came out he was ripping on him as he should do.

Also Starmers essay is strikingly similar in both words and tone as David Camerons manifesto. Almost like it was stolen and rewritten.

we're going back to the golden age... 2012... her maj is parachuting in with James Bond!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Paperhouse posted:

SSE was bought by Ovo, who are apparently now the 2nd or 3rd biggest supplier in the UK

I used to work for Ovo, and while it was a poo poo job (customer service) and I got sacked (lol) I felt that they were a pretty decent company. I'd go for them if I were in the UK

Hah that's funny, I work at ovo and used to be in CS too but that was waaaay back like 7 years ago, in a much nicer job now. Can confirm that ovo isn't going under any time soon and as far as big private energy firms go (please nationalise for gods sake) it's an alright one. Although the CEO is still a massive dick but that's just par for the course I guess.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i've seen the accusation of Starmer plagiarising Cameron elsewhere. don't think it's necessarily the case, Starmer's precisely the kind of dupe who would wholeheartedly buy into and believe as a fundamental part of his being the PR horseshit that Cameron at least had the nous to know he was spewing. also Starmer's advisers are cut from the same cloth and will be relying on those ideas as a common sense floating around in the political consciousness.

and never fear for Owen Jones! no doubt as soon as the first softest of soft-left challengers presents themselves against Starmer, Jones will be back on the unity horse again

ed: not paying the aminal tax, for shame

the Hooded Pitohui

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was thinking :circlefap: how on earth do 'they' know whether someone is trans or not unless, I dunno, they issue transpersons with armbands, with maybe some sort of pink square or blue circle or green star on them?

Then this popped up on my FB feed:

Who is going to define a woman?
There was that nonsense a couple of months ago about defining a woman as being under 5ft5" tall. That knocks me and my boss out for a start.

Ed: Seeing the comments under the image on FB - this has been described as being both pro and anti-terf. Interesting the different ways of seeing it.
I was thinking it is anti-terf as in who has the right to define a woman.

Welcome to the patriarchy, you'll be seeing a salary/pension increase shortly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It really can’t be overstated what a failure of regulation this whole energy thing is. OFGEM have been encouraging as many of these tiny little energy companies to start up as possible with no capital requirements, no hedging requirements, no financial buffer whatsoever against a price spike.

They’re essentially all just a commodities trading bet that the price of gas wouldn’t go up too much, where if they’re wrong they go bust immediately.

It’s like if the FCA ran a years long campaign encouraging everyone to switch to new startup banks, but didn’t require those new banks to follow any capital regulations whatsoever and then looked surprised when everyone loses their cash.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 23, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't forget Centrica, which owns the actual gas network, just recently closed the largest gas storage facility in the country because - after years of private sector efficiency - it was dangerous, and uneconomical to repair. Of course unspoken in that decision was the fact that Centrica make more money from this kind of shortage - natural gas demand is extremely inelastic, even more so than electricity, because it's not like most people are absent-mindedly leaving the cooker on for days at a time and a price rise reminds them to switch it off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is a bit sad:

Of their top rated companies at least 2 have gone bust recently and of their worst rated, it looks like those most likely to pick up the business of those whose suppliers have gone bust are in the worst rated.

https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/guides/best-and-worst-energy-companies-2021/

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Hah that's funny, I work at ovo and used to be in CS too but that was waaaay back like 7 years ago, in a much nicer job now. Can confirm that ovo isn't going under any time soon and as far as big private energy firms go (please nationalise for gods sake) it's an alright one. Although the CEO is still a massive dick but that's just par for the course I guess.

Aren't Ovo Tory part super-donors? I know there was a list out last year that had them on (along with all the usual suspects) and it was company donations, not just "CEOs personal donations" (though I know for some companies there isn't a big difference).

EDIT: I checked and it seems I was wrong and it's just the CEO's personal donations and below comment notes this

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 23, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DroneRiff posted:

Aren't Ovo Tory part super-donors? I know there was a list out last year that had them on (along with all the usual suspects) and it was company donations, not just "CEOs personal donations" (though I know for some companies there isn't a big difference).

I know the CEO is a tory donor, not sure how the company donations work but it's still a private company and which he owns so maybe? :shrug:

All I know is that the vast majority of people who do work here do it for the renewable philosophy and it's only when you go super high up that the cunts emerge. The company is very good to its employees though which is honestly why I've stayed for so long.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget Centrica, which owns the actual gas network, just recently closed the largest gas storage facility in the country because - after years of private sector efficiency - it was dangerous, and uneconomical to repair. Of course unspoken in that decision was the fact that Centrica make more money from this kind of shortage - natural gas demand is extremely inelastic, even more so than electricity, because it's not like most people are absent-mindedly leaving the cooker on for days at a time and a price rise reminds them to switch it off.

Centrica don't own any network now, it's National Grid at Transmission level, then Cadent (McQuarie, Qatar), SGN (Canadian Pensions), NGN (Hong Kong Investment Firms) and Wales and West (Hong Kong Investment Firms)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

forkboy84 posted:

When you're too loving worthless even for Behr boy have you hosed up somewhere along the line

someone turned him off and on again and he has resumed normal operation

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1440933105381089285?s=19
https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1440936738730414080?s=19

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1440939157048680448?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also love essays, especially from politicians, love to read essays all day long.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Centrica don't own any network now, it's National Grid at Transmission level, then Cadent (McQuarie, Qatar), SGN (Canadian Pensions), NGN (Hong Kong Investment Firms) and Wales and West (Hong Kong Investment Firms)

Yeah I brain-farted there and I really can't work out how (maybe some distant tattered synapse remembering that they were once British Gas so owned the whole lot? Who can tell).

Point remains though, there's almost no slack in the gas network any more, because there's no economic incentive to guard against sudden price shocks - the big players are perfectly happy to absorb the occasional spike (especially as they're generally also wholesalers) if it saves them day-to-day costs in the good times, and the fact that it drives the smaller players out of the market is a happy side effect.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I want my labour leader to be as far removed from actual labour as possible

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ralf got his marching orders this morning.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I brain-farted there and I really can't work out how (maybe some distant tattered synapse remembering that they were once British Gas so owned the whole lot? Who can tell).

Point remains though, there's almost no slack in the gas network any more, because there's no economic incentive to guard against sudden price shocks - the big players are perfectly happy to absorb the occasional spike (especially as they're generally also wholesalers) if it saves them day-to-day costs in the good times, and the fact that it drives the smaller players out of the market is a happy side effect.

Oh absolutely, the drive to JIT deliver utilities is a loving nightmare.

Funny how HK own the gas and electricity distribution networks for London as well. I can't imagine the same flying anywhere else tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is all over some Russian dude profiting off the annexation of ukraine isn’t it? Something about how he wants a new pipeline, the EU haven’t given permission and he’s cut the gas off out of revenge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The OVO man also sells flying electric cars... think I might have to switch to them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Blame Canada Russia

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Flayer posted:

Blame Canada Russia

Russia is only reason number 2, the main culprit is the damnable Chinese deciding they want to use lots of gas at the same time everyone else wants to use lots of gas

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/21/what-caused-the-uks-energy-crisis

quote:

China’s post-Covid bounce back

China’s appetite for energy is always a key driver of global market prices. In 2021 its post-Covid economic ramp-up has coincided with an uptick in demand across Asia and Europe too.

As economies begin to recover from the fallout of the pandemic, countries across the northern hemisphere, which experienced a long, cold winter in 2020-21 that depleted gas storage levels, have been left scrabbling to secure supplies.

Gas prices in the UK have more than quadrupled over the last year to highs of 180 pence per therm, from around 40p/th this time last year. In the last month alone, prices have climbed by 70%.

Market experts at S&P Global Platts said earlier this year that China’s demand for gas was likely to rise ​​to 360 billion cubic metres (Bcm) this year, up 8.4% from an estimated 332 Bcm in 2020. To satisfy its record demand for gas, China’s imports of gas via super-chilled tankers was expected to surge by almost a fifth, meaning fewer shipments travelling to Europe from countries such as Qatar.

the fact we have a tiny amount of gas storage gets an oblique mention but as far as I can tell it's not explained that the storage facility was sold off, as this is clearly less relevant than China specifically having increasing demand for gas at the same time everywhere else has an increasing demand for gas

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

When I was looking for a new job about t years ago, Ovo were one of those companies I was looking into joining.

At that time it seemed like a lot of staff were reporting that it was a crap place to work so I never went for it.

It's why I moved away when Ovo bought my last electricity provider. I hope that they are better now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who was it who said….

Guze posted:

Find something you love as much as this guy loves getting coronavirus

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1440838351829958657?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
remember he nearly died that time from being full of poo poo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CGI Stardust posted:

i've seen the accusation of Starmer plagiarising Cameron elsewhere. don't think it's necessarily the case, Starmer's precisely the kind of dupe who would wholeheartedly buy into and believe as a fundamental part of his being the PR horseshit that Cameron at least had the nous to know he was spewing. also Starmer's advisers are cut from the same cloth and will be relying on those ideas as a common sense floating around in the political consciousness.
Starmer is Mr - sorry, Sir Establishment, and is as dedicated to making sure nothing important ever changes for them as Cameron was. It's telling that the only thing he seemed remotely forceful about in his 14,000 word beige paint swatch was ensuring that Scotland never escapes the Union.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
idk he reiterated his commitment to hard working families a lot, which in combination with his opposition to "divisive identity politics" seems pretty suggestive

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JoStevensLabour/status/1440947422411345921

Labour Austerity is back baby! It's poo poo again! Awooo ( wolf howl)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JoStevensLabour/status/1440947422411345921

Labour Austerity is back baby! It's poo poo again! Awooo ( wolf howl)

I hate this poo poo so much. Show me a large private company that is 100% efficient and not at all wasteful.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
They should both be 0/10.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The government should be run like a business.

Now if I was running a business that could borrow for 40 years for a fraction of a percent the first thing I'd do is raise finance for a housing bond and collect properties that I'd rent out below market rates in the short term to corner the market, and drive out competition, thereby no not like that

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They just mean "no pay rises"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So the new episode of Podcasting is Praxis dropped, and they have new artwork for the show.

And the artwork shows Great Britain with the Hammer and Sickle over it.
But as far as I can see it doesn't show Northern Ireland on the image.
So the podcast image seems to be showing Great Britain as opposed to showing the United Kingdom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

So the new episode of Podcasting is Praxis dropped, and they have new artwork for the show.

So the podcast image seems to be showing Great Britain as opposed to showing the United Kingdom.

Yes. Seems appropriate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe they're just getting ahead of the 2024 Reunification, seems like a lot of effort to re-do the logo every time England loses a colony

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

Northern Ireland is no longer part of the UK since December 2020 hth.

Someone tell Arlene Foster and Mason Boyne.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
one of my neighbours is building a summerhouse and it is an absolute abomination

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

one of my neighbours is building a summerhouse and it is an absolute abomination

Is he just making it out of stuff he found in a skip?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Correct terminology is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

and never fear for Owen Jones! no doubt as soon as the first softest of soft-left challengers presents themselves against Starmer, Jones will be back on the unity horse again

:shrug: apart from a brief wobble he was always pro-Corbyn, I generally think he's a good egg and the only one left at the Guardian after Gary Younge moved to America. I don't think him saying 'ok if Starmer is actually serious about this whole unity candidate thing let's not gently caress his poo poo up from the get-go' was a bad take, and he has fully recognised that Starmer is a lying shitweasel since.