Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Here is a thought, make tuition free.

Wait, poo poo, that doesn't make profit by making people suffer, nevermind :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Wolfy posted:

I'm just here to center divs and cash modest checks

i need this framed on my desk if i ever go back to work in an office

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Xarn posted:

Here is a thought, make tuition free.

Wait, poo poo, that doesn't make profit by making people suffer, nevermind :v:

Just make textbooks even more expensive and have them all require subscription based software to do the exercises.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 14, 2021

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Can I get a sanity check on what's the remote dev work market like for a junior/recent grad (2 years exp) from Canada?
Hopping back into the market being so green is p intimidating.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Can I get a sanity check on what's the remote dev work market like for a junior/recent grad (2 years exp) from Canada?
Hopping back into the market being so green is p intimidating.

My company in Denver underpays and I think we start around 75k

Also I'm so happy I don't touch css at all at my job.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
But what about quality of education? A traditional uh "brick and mortar" school has to be better than WGU right?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to land an entry level cloud gig, focusing on AWS at the moment. Being new to all of this, I'm not committing haram by putting together a very simple portfolio on <name>.github.io am I?

My idea is to have a short little blurb about myself at the top, then a list of projects with short descriptions. Each description would link to the repo, and link to a (likely AWS) site that is demonstrating the service (i.e. s3bucket.us-east-2.amazonaws.com )

I'm looking at more architect or administrator roles so I'm not wanting to spend a lot of time initially on learning how to stand up a blog framework or a fancy front-end for my portfolio, initially at least.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

Trying to land an entry level cloud gig, focusing on AWS at the moment. Being new to all of this, I'm not committing haram by putting together a very simple portfolio on <name>.github.io am I?

My idea is to have a short little blurb about myself at the top, then a list of projects with short descriptions. Each description would link to the repo, and link to a (likely AWS) site that is demonstrating the service (i.e. s3bucket.us-east-2.amazonaws.com )

I'm looking at more architect or administrator roles so I'm not wanting to spend a lot of time initially on learning how to stand up a blog framework or a fancy front-end for my portfolio, initially at least.

That's fine but be aware that entry level and architect are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's fine but be aware that entry level and architect are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I'm currently learning the different AWS services, and my interests lie in compute and data and putting together solutions to serve toy projects. I'm not a front-end guy.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I'm currently learning the different AWS services, and my interests lie in compute and data and putting together solutions to serve toy projects. I'm not a front-end guy.

??? Front end has nothing to do with this. I'm saying you are not going to be getting hired as a cloud architect at your current skill level. At best you'll be able to land a gig as a devops or infrastructure engineer who helps implement an architecture designed by someone else.

[edit] I think I was unclear. When I said architect and entry level are at different ends of the spectrum, I meant the experience spectrum.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 20, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would expect at minimum three years real world experience to even discuss the title architect at even the smallest company. There's so many ways to foot gun yourself, I can't imagine hiring a first year infrastructure guy to run point on architecture at any company.

Typical progression

Guy off the street -> Junior -> Not Junior -> Senior -> Principal/Architect

There is a CI/CD thread, feel free to float any theories over there and see how they are received. It's not uncommon for a senior level guy to come in and get things off the ground but that's not being an architect

At my last job we started hiring increasingly baby infra engineers with very wobbly legs, a large part of why I left, and they made some weird decisions at first, but they did improve with time. It takes time to be able to realize certain tasks are much more complex than they seem on the surface and planning that work out in advance so it's delivered before the heat death of the universe/database can't scale out any further

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 20, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
All that said, the portfolio idea is a good idea for entry-level stuff. I hire entry level people though not Cloud. I like to see 1-2 polished projects and 1 project that is maybe a stretch even if isn't super polished.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
You all are right. My #1 goal at the moment is to get my foot in the door with an entry-level cloud job. I'm not going back for another degree, and I only have tangentially related experience (clinical informatics instead of traditional IT). Given that, my current train of thought is to pick up a certification to hopefully get past the HR Resume Screener. That will give me an opportunity to talk about my projects, or at least provide them an opportunity to view my portfolio.

The associate level certs I'm looking at are AWS SysOps Administrator or Solutions Architect. I definitely have no illusions at coming in to anything but a junior position.

I'll keep plugging along, thanks for the portfolio advice.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hi thread.

I applied for a job i saw pop up on LinkedIn recently for a Junior front-end developer. I sent the recruiter my stuff and he's got me an interview with one of the Big Four :spooky: on monday.

The job is specifically for using React, which is great because that's all i do front ends in, and the skill requirements line up very closely for me, and im pretty confident im at the right level for this job. But ive only got three days to study up and get ready.

I'm going over common React interview questions, and fortunately most of it i already know. I'm gonna get up on my git knowledge because ive basically been using it for 'just in case my computer explodes'. Im also gonna get some ping pong balls and get my missus throw them at me while i recite interview trivia.

Can anyone who interviews for/has been interviewed for Front-end React developer recommend some other crucial things i should wrap my head around before this goes down? i am making GBS threads my pants.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Glassdoor might have interview questions from the company.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
make sure you know redux

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Ill do both those things. Thanks!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Would y'all be up for giving some feedback on my resume? This version is specifically for new grad data science jobs, but I also use a version with some skills/projects swapped around for data engineer positions too. There's a couple things in particular I'm not sure on:

1) I started my current internship a week ago, so I have no accomplishments, but it will use skills from coursework that don't come up elsewhere (esp on the data engineering/infrastructure side of things), and has a lot more name recognition than other places I've worked. Basically I want enough there that I can chat with an interviewer re: what I'm doing without misrepresenting my experience. Tbh I'm still kind of baffled they hired me for the role at all.

2) The most recent completed internship (second in list) specifically wasn't focused on business outcomes, but instead on making design decisions - which I loved - but that doesn't translate as well to clear numbers/impact. Are these bullets alright, or should I try and cut/quantify more?

3) At the bottom, I just added a section with two research projects I completed for classes, with links to the Github and paper. They're also on my portfolio site, but the basic idea is to get across the idea that I've completed substantial ML projects (which aren't under NDA or otherwise disallowed from being put on Github) and can do that kind of work despite not having a grad degree. Not sure if the section is getting that across as-is though - maybe I should be more specific re: the techniques/tools used, or just cut it and leave them on the portfolio site only? The 'impacts' are also strictly 'here is some small contribution to the field', and idk if that really comes across as substantial

3.5 - I left out my other experience during college, since some of it was social science research, and the rest was product management at a start-up and neither felt as relevant. It does mean I have a gap for 2019/2020 though, not sure if that matters

More broadly, does this seem like a reasonably competitive resume for like, FAANG/big tech companies? I haven't applied to those kinds of roles in the past since I was more oriented towards social science research, but would like to this time around. I have gotten a decent number of recruitment messages from those kinds of places, but I'm not sure if it's just because some search for major + school + gpa threw me out as a result, or because I'd actually be a solid candidate. I'll apply either way ofc, and will go over it again at my uni's career center once I finally get an appt, but just kind of wanted to set my expectations.

On a related note, if anyone has good resources they'd point to slash tips for negotiating offers I'd appreciate it (reading through the one from the OP). The place I was at over the summer should be sending me a full-time offer in the next few weeks, and is pretty great in terms of work-life balance, has a uniquely interesting career progression, and is at a v specific intersection of a lot of my interests - I loved working there. The one issue is, from looking on Glassdoor/h1b sites, salaries there average ~80k, whereas it looks like equivalent roles in the Bay Area are more like 110-130k (the place I'm furthest along with in the interview process apparently has like 140k total comp for the Cloud SWE III role I'm for some reason being considered for). I honestly didn't realize that new grad salaries were that high here, but that's a pretty tough salary difference to overlook, and I'm worried about anchoring salary expectations for my career going forward. It does feel kind of absurd when compared to the non-profit stuff I'd done before going back to school, but hey.

e: Ok, I found a typo/some inconsistent capitalization looking back at it, will fix that

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 30, 2021

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I've been an Ignition developer for the past 3 years.
My focus for the past 3 years has been manufacturing data analysis. Basically making data analysis programs for the production side and managing the databases.

I'm ready to move on. Would data analyst jobs be the closest fit?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Data analyst is a different career path from developer and has a pretty different skill set. Do you have any experience doing data analysis?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know that I fully understand "Making Data Analysis Programs". Are you mostly managing data streams and doing ETL? Then Data Engineer. Are you mostly building Dashboards? Data Analyst, maybe Data Scientist if you are putting some intelligence behind it.

I'd probably look towards Data Engineer in general as that fits the developer mold, though I'd probably want more than just Ignition there unless you are a Python pro. Learning some Scala would probably help, and if you don't have noSQL experience I'd probably try to get familiar with that.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
To clarify
I built the data entry programs for production data.
I manage the database. ( Created the tables, responsible for their maintenance, and backup)

I built the tableau style programs for viewing and exporting the data in graphical and table form. This includes writing the SQL queries to pull the data

Languages I am familiar with are:
Python/ Ignition
SQL
C#
Visual c#
Php
React
Node

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

joebuddah posted:

To clarify
I built the data entry programs for production data.
I manage the database. ( Created the tables, responsible for their maintenance, and backup)

I built the tableau style programs for viewing and exporting the data in graphical and table form. This includes writing the SQL queries to pull the data

Languages I am familiar with are:
Python/ Ignition
SQL
C#
Visual c#
Php
React
Node

Oh, so you're a full-stack engineer, leaning backend. I'd look at data engineer, backend, and full stack jobs and find something you like. Data Analyst probably is going to be mostly stuff not as interesting for you.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Thank you so much. I appreciate your help

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I just wanted to thank you guys. I posted a while back about being unsure if my experience as self taught would make me not be taken seriously. I had experience building random stuff for big non tech companies.

You all told me to stop being a whiny idiot, and that I was qualified for senior level roles.

Well you all were right. I've been applying to senior react/javascript roles and I'm getting an insane response rate. I started applying on Tuesday, and I had an interview today, have another one tomorrow, and I have to call back people to schedule more interviews.

My favorite has been this

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Follow up on my interview for anyone who's interested. (junior front end role)

My interview was mostly a conversation about myself and previous projects. I did a lot of studying on JS/React trivia but they didnt ask me a single technical programming question, or give any programming challenges. I'm guessing they just went off my portfolio. I have a job now!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vilgefartz posted:

Follow up on my interview for anyone who's interested. (junior front end role)

My interview was mostly a conversation about myself and previous projects. I did a lot of studying on JS/React trivia but they didnt ask me a single technical programming question, or give any programming challenges. I'm guessing they just went off my portfolio. I have a job now!

Sweet!

I also got a job. I really appreciate the advice this thread gives.

Entire process took about 5 weeks over 4 interviews. I'm just glad it's over.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Sweet!

I also got a job. I really appreciate the advice this thread gives.

Entire process took about 5 weeks over 4 interviews. I'm just glad it's over.

drat, i am happy my waiting period was shorter than that, i was freaking out the entire time. Being in limbo is a drain.

What did the interviews consist of if you dont mind me asking?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vilgefartz posted:

drat, i am happy my waiting period was shorter than that, i was freaking out the entire time. Being in limbo is a drain.

What did the interviews consist of if you dont mind me asking?

1st interview was with a HR manager. Normal cultural interview. I come from a background in hospitality management, so talking to people is super easy for me, and I always do well on cultural interviews.

2nd interview was with the team lead. Again, cultural.

3rd interview was with one of the department managers. Not really a tough technical interview, just did some code review for some of my projects. Seemed like they wanted to know if I really understood what I was doing and how well I explained it.

Final interview was with the CTO. Just a formality really. It's not a huge company, a little less than 100 people, about 16 of which are devs. He said he liked to meet people who were in the final stages of the interview process, and I got an email from HR like 20 minutes after the interview ended saying they wanted to make an offer. They actually offered above what I asked for, which was above what they initially said the salary was during the second interview. I ended up taking a pretty nice package, more than what I expected. I ended up having to reject an offer from a huge company and had to take a couple days to choose between the two. The larger company would have looked great on my resume, but it was more for a project management position, had to work on site, and the salary was a little lower than the offer I ended up taking. The one I took is fully remote, great benefits, and isn't far from where I live in case I do have to go to the office for something (but they said I wouldn't).

I'm honestly glad I failed the 10 or so interviews I went on previously. I learned a lot from those, from knowing what people commonly ask to what to expect for a code review or coding challenge (I completely bombed my first coding challenge). I was way more comfortable now than I was after I graduated the bootcamp I did.

All in all, it took about 5 months for me to land a nice job after finishing a bootcamp, and I'm pretty happy I don't have to wear a suit every day anymore. Or even pants for that matter.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
drat 5 months! Congrats!

Im halfway through a comp sci degree, and did a bunch of udemy 'bootcamps'. All in all i've been doing web dev in my own time for a few years now. I wonder if i would have gotten a job faster if id gone the bootcamp route. :shrug:

e. Badly worded

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

You're all great and congrats.

I am very close to starting my job search -- I have 15 years in retail management and am more than halfway through UConn's Full Stack bootcamp and I have been taking full advantage of the career services there.

All I need to do is re-make my portfolio (I'm going to learn React early and make it with React) and do a couple of more projects so I have better ones to put on my resume. But I'm probably under a month away from looking.

Vilgefartz/Romes/anyone else, did you have connections at all? ie. did you know any developers who could have helped you get interviews or were you totally out on your own?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
My bootcamp had a partner program which they sent us openings and if we applied they contacted the recruiter and put us at the top of the list. Half of my interviews I got through there. The rest were through LinkedIn job postings and Angel.co.

I know a couple programmers but I didn’t really ask them for help other than general advice and what I should I expect on the interviews.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Romes128 posted:

My bootcamp had a partner program which they sent us openings and if we applied they contacted the recruiter and put us at the top of the list. Half of my interviews I got through there. The rest were through LinkedIn job postings and Angel.co.

I know a couple programmers but I didn’t really ask them for help other than general advice and what I should I expect on the interviews.

Mine has that as well.

A friend of mine told me she has a ton of tech connections and likely knows a few people who would be willing to take on a vouched-for junior dev, so I'm hoping that will cut my job search short!

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I saw the job postings through LinkedIn. I had also just finished an internship with some charity and a did web app for them top to bottom, which probably looked good on the resume, and the charity owner was very happy to refer me, so i imagine that helped. But otherwise i dont have any contacts in the industry either.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I'm honestly glad I failed the 10 or so interviews I went on previously. I learned a lot from those, from knowing what people commonly ask to what to expect for a code review or coding challenge (I completely bombed my first coding challenge). I was way more comfortable now than I was after I graduated the bootcamp I did.

I feel this. I had a number of HR screening calls and an interview with the hiring manager and felt like I got a lot out of those ~1hr long conversations. Being forced to talk about myself in a higher pressure situation was good practice and I learned quite a bit about what other companies are doing with their tech stacks and their expectations. I feel like when more/better opportunities come up in the future I'll know how better to prepare and present my experience.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

mes posted:

I feel this. I had a number of HR screening calls and an interview with the hiring manager and felt like I got a lot out of those ~1hr long conversations. Being forced to talk about myself in a higher pressure situation was good practice and I learned quite a bit about what other companies are doing with their tech stacks and their expectations. I feel like when more/better opportunities come up in the future I'll know how better to prepare and present my experience.

Yeah I think it's important to be able to craft a narrative about your experience, even for your first job. Considering how little time you have to explain your entire life story, it's important to be able to condense important details into an arc that is interesting to listen to. Every question you answer should reinforce that story, whatever it is.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just got an interview invitation from a mid-size bank here in Canada. This will be my first ever job interview for a software engineering position.

As part of the interview process they want me to do a programming test prior to the interview with Codility.

Has anyone done one of these before? Any tips?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Just got an interview invitation from a mid-size bank here in Canada. This will be my first ever job interview for a software engineering position.

As part of the interview process they want me to do a programming test prior to the interview with Codility.

Has anyone done one of these before? Any tips?

It's basically a third party company that does coding challenges. I've done one.

Either you're doing it in front of someone from that company, or recording yourself taking the test. Either way they'll grade you and provide a summary to the company you're interviewing with. Pretty much treat it the same as if you would be doing any code challenge.

Thoroughly explain what you're thinking and doing. If you don't understand something always try to ask questions if it's live in front of another person (they may or may not give you a hint).

Have you done any code challenges? Usually you can google company + code challenge or something similar to see some examples of stuff they've asked other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Romes128 posted:

Have you done any code challenges? Usually you can google company + code challenge or something similar to see some examples of stuff they've asked other people.

This will be my first time doing any kind of coding challenge. Thanks!

The interview is in two days so I have some time to do some research.