Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I got this because my desktop PC with a 980ti has sat unused for a year in favor if my MacBook. So I figured I'd get this for a few reasons:

1. I can play games downstairs now
2. I actually have a windows dev environment now

I have bps5 and series x so probably overkill but it's nice to know I can play everything (?)on max settings at atleast 30fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have a couple hundred hours into the digital implementation of Gloomhaven and it's in a really good place, honestly. Most bugs I've found are either multiplayer issues (mostly fixed by restarting the turn) or minor UI/ability woes that get patched very fast - the open beta gets patches every couple days. I can't wait to see how the campaign launch goes. Hopefully they get hired to add content from the expansion and standalone sequel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What exactly did you buy?

Also, don't buy gaming laptops, they are a rip off.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the GPU market over the last year.

They definitely aren’t a rip off anymore and that trend is probably going to continue for the next year at least.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that doesnt make them not a rup off it just makes u impatient lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I agree it would have been great to be able to bring a New York gang member to an Israeli secret military base or an ADHD French nerd to a Japanese evacuation cruise ship but I think the mini-stories of the campaigns do their job well enough. Like I never thought any of the L4D characters were all that interesting but what I will say is that what L4D did have that WWZ doesn’t is a ridiculous amount of voice lines for the characters, the locations, how well/poorly things are going, and so on. In WWZ you’ll be hearing a lot of the same dialogue.

This is something I noticed with Aliens: Fireteam Elite - a little bit of incidental dialog variety goes a long way toward keeping repetitive maps fresh. There's one point in Aliens where a new enemy type scurries past you on the wall and your Handler says "What was that?" - if you happened to look at them your character discusses it with the handler, if you were looking in another direction your character says "I didn't see anything".

It's not like it makes the maps feel different but if you play through a map 5 times and hear the exact same dialog with the exact same trigger points each time then suddenly it becomes routine and you start subconsciously timing it on your internal clock and it begins to feel very repetitive.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You guys have me.double thinking my purchase now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fixins posted:

Why? Good luck getting any desktop GPU.

Gaming laptops aren’t terrible if you have a use case for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah it's not gonna be as powerful as a desktop but it'll be fine for what you're using it for. just don't literally sit it on your lap when you game or you'll have a bad hot time

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fixins posted:

It has good specs except for the small SSD. In practice, right now, a desktop 2070 Super roughly equivalent to your 3070 will cost you like 1200 bucks all by itself too. The 300hz refresh rate is honestly a gimmick you will never use but you'll be able to run plenty of games at 120hz while keeping graphic settings high.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 23, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

If you heard about Kingmaker you probably heard no end of horror stories about bugs, glitches, and unplayable game states.

Well, this is technically better in that you can currently beat the game. There's quite a lot of rough edges they're going to be fixing for the next few months, but it's still mostly fine. In 120 hours I never experienced anything that killed progression, but had quite a few graphical or technical issues that annoyed the hell out of me. Act 4 in particular was bad for getting stuck outside the map when teleporting, but it was specific to that location. They're put out several major patches since they launched the game, and while there are some hiccups, like breaking a fixed part of the game, the turnaround for the fixes was a matter of hours. If you are concerned, maybe wait a few months but there's no chance they just leave the game as is, as they kept on working and improving Kingmaker for almost a year.

The game itself is massive, and has a ton of reactivity for almost everything. Given how different the mythic paths are playing chapter 3-5 might be a completely different experience. For me, I went with Lich. I got a nice shiny skull with a crown for my state symbol.

The game starts like the typical isometric crpg, similar to Kingmaker, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate etc. You're going to gather a party, explore, fight things, level up, repeat. The story starts off with high stakes and keeps up a context of pressure for most of the game, like there is a rapidly counting down timer you have to beat (you don't, there's tons of time). You are a new arrival to a crusader city that has just been wrecked by a demon army led by a Demon Lord (they're one step below a god) and you take up arms to fight back. As it progress, you start gaining some strange powers and can pick the theme you want it to be focused around, the mythic paths.

Mythic Paths
Demon: Rage monster who destroys your enemy with fury and bloodlust
Angel: Righteous savior of the innocent or vengeful crusader
Azata: Fairy superhero
Aeon: True neutral Judge Dredd of the Cosmos
Trickster: Pranking genius who toys with the rules of reality
Lich: Master of all Undead

Late game paths unlock as
Golden Dragon: Redeem the irredeemable
Swarm-that-Walks: Become the worst thing in existence
Legend: Reject the power, achieve mortal perfection
Devil: Letter of the law deal making rear end in a top hat

The first six are going to shape how you experience the game for a large part. Having only played as one, Lich, I don't know what the differences are like but there was so much undead specific content in general in gameplay and Crusade mode it must be significant. So, the game overall

Combat
The Real Time With Pause style combat should be familiar to most people, and there's also Turn Based, which you can toggle on/off like a switch for trash encounters or hard boss fights. Turn Based is much superior because that laundry list of cool spells you get that do area effects are now 10x easier to use since everyone is running around constantly while you're trying to cast. Your party can be guided to avoid the yawning pit traps you drop down to consume your enemies.

In general starting out the combat is either fairly easy while paying attention or punishingly difficult. Early on, Owlcat's love for the "rules as written" mean you get a lot of permanent status damage that becomes a chore to manage if you don't enable "rest dispels as negative effects". On that note, the difficulty menu for this game includes a dozen+ options you can adjust, including a slider for enemy damage and drop down menus for general enemy strength and abilities. If you want to play with weak enemies but in much greater numbers, go for it.

The big thing for combat is the variety of classes. Mounted combat is a thing, and you can charge into combat on a wolf, boar, velociraptor, bear, horse, and more. If you go Azata you can get a fairy dragon and do the same. There's huge variety in play-styles, where you can be alchemists and chuck bombs, witches casting hex/curses constantly, or a Magus fighting with a sword in one hand and casting spells in another.

Crusade Mode
Many people's experiences with it will find it to suck at worst and tedious at best. It's Heroes of Might and Magic style campaign mode, but not really done well. There's a big reason not to turn it off though, and I'll get to that.

You have the same map as the normal exploration map, but your armies attack the demon armies and clear forts blocking progress. The way the army management works, having to recruit units, waiting for weekly replenishment, paying for mercs (alot of $$ too depending) incenitives you to only hire 3-6 types of units, the ones in your main army. Throughout the game you'll get say 10 Rangers, or 5 Paladins, but as a small stack they are useless as part of an army since you are limited to 3-6 stacks depending on your general. The only useful troops are the ones you've been accumulating or plan to keep hiring. All others are just a waste of space.

Once you get a good size army though, you can steamroll the demon armies. Sometimes even in a single round. Your general is a big part, and you want the one that gives increased army size, cure wounds, and firebolt as soon as you can (Setsuna Shy). The basic army recover system is not great so often times you'd just leave one weak enemy alive and heal your units until recovered.

The reason you don't want to turn it off is you get a ton of things to do in the 'management' mode, events you pick how to resolve, decrees you issue, and various council meetings with your npcs to discuss what plans you decide on. Also, specific to the Lich path, you have to complete some decrees for it, and auto-mode won't know to select your Lich projects from the general "fix this relic" project and can screw up the whole thing.

Story and Writing
Epic tale of war and adventure. It avoids being tedious for the most part and has some pretty great moments in the story but overall is sufficient for the purposes of the game.

Overall
So, aside from that, is the game fun/playable. Yes, if you already know how to play the system. If not, it's a bit of a learning curve and you might want to have some game resources handy or places to ask questions. The biggest draw would be the frankly insane amount of potential characters you can build. There's 20 main class with 5-7- archetypes each, most all doing something unique or specific. Add into that all the various mythic paths and the same character could branch out in extremely different ways. From the start to finish, it's easily 100+ hours for someone who digs deep into the game, and wants to explore every part of the map and chase down every side quest and encounter.

As far as difficulty? Well, there are "traps" in the game currently in the sense that things are not working as written. Some classes are just better then others when comparing (bloodrager vs barbarian), and some highly specific ones are noticeably worse then alternatives. Nine Tailed Heir gains some pretty bad abilities compared to what they give up, and Hellknight Signifier is built around casting in heavy armor but there are several superior ways to achieve that. Assassin is very bad, either not working or not effective at all. It's not super important, but you do need to be aware of it.

Pathfinder is a game that expects you to specialize. If you play a caster with a lot of fire spells, take feats and mythic powers that make those spells more powerful. If you're trying to tank enemies, look for ways to increase AC. For damage, duel wield, increase raw damage, higher number of attacks, etc. The goal is "what does this person do best, and how do I improve it". And if you screw up, you'll get several free respecs in your base to fix it.

But, if you really want to play those "weak" classes? Just turn the difficulty down. Enemies do 0.4 damage instead of 1.0, reduced enemy count etc. Play what you like and play to experience the role you pick. If you want a more XCOM tactics strategy, then delve into the game mechanics and start learning the details because it can get pretty intense on core or above.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Good review.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rinkles posted:

can you disable it on the browser store?

It's in account preferences so as long as you're logged in then I'd assume so.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's a good review but wow it sounds less appealing than Kingmaker even.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh after kingmaker, I knew I'd be waiting for 1-2 years until I got the sequel. Good games but they launch super rough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kanfy posted:

It's in account preferences so as long as you're logged in then I'd assume so.

thanks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Tbh after kingmaker, I knew I'd be waiting for 1-2 years until I got the sequel. Good games but they launch super rough.

It's kind of funny because they were firing out updates in 24-48 hour windows and I was literally losing exploits that carried me effortless through the game as they were fixing things. I was using Magic missile, 5 hits of 1d4+1 damage. One of the new feats, Bolster magic, was supposed to add 2 damage dice to the original, and do 2 dice of damage to nearby targets. It, uh, skipped a step somewhere.

They fixed it within the first week.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Antigravitas posted:

I think it's better than Kingmaker at launch, but there are more moving parts (the Mythic paths add a bunch of interactions and branches), so there are more things to complain about.

Still, unless you really, REALLY want to play right now, I'd give it at least a couple of months. And download the Bag of Tricks mod equivalent to turn off whatever annoyance you find.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't think they can fix the writing in a couple of months, though. I need to be invested in a game to enjoy it, and Kingmaker features sub Larian-tier writing, from characters (I don't remember a single name) to the laughably cliched plot. Calling it "sufficient" is pretty damning.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually think Owlcat's writers do much better with the grandiose power fantasy that Wrath presents rather than the more subdued setting of Kingmaker. At the very least, the Angel and Azata paths seem to work out, at least for me. Fair warning for the latter though, the Azata path is very much Power Of Friendship™ all the way, and the Trickster's 4th wall breaking seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it sort of thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I actually think Owlcat's writers do much better with the grandiose power fantasy that Wrath presents rather than the more subdued setting of Kingmaker. At the very least, the Angel and Azata paths seem to work out, at least for me. Fair warning for the latter though, the Azata path is very much Power Of Friendship™ all the way, and the Trickster's 4th wall breaking seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it sort of thing.

The writing for the other mythic paths might go a long ways to making it better. Lich was good but not like great because it's laser focused on the one guy who helps you turn into a Lich. The main story and the companion quests were pretty good for the flexibility I saw from my play-through.

Just from my awareness, Angel and Aeon should have wildly different Act 4 experiences then I did, and that was a big chunk of the main quest story playing out and being revealed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always think RPG makers go the wrong way by frontloading all this character creation stuff to the very first parts of their game.

I'm going to play your hundred-hour RPG one time. Maybe 1.2 times, if I feel I screwed up my character or to try out a different build after I finish. I don't need a million character classes, prestige classes, subclasses and races, I just need one that's good to play as. Have a few different choices, (EG: Male and female Commander Shepard, do I want my Geralt to mostly lean on magic, bombs or swords) but it's much better to have a few differences in the player character that you really lean into and represent in the gameplay than a million choices - you're just opening yourself up to a balance nightmare and a terrible new user experience, and all the choices you worked on that I didn't pick when making my character were wasted time.

Use all the time you just saved from creating and balancing 1,000 character options to make the remaining options impactful and make the party members have cool custom powers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Why? Good luck getting any desktop GPU.

Gaming laptops aren’t terrible if you have a use case for it.

you cant get a gpu currently: buy anything regardless of its acutual value proposition

vs

you cant get a gpu currently: wait

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't think the genre is for you. Any RPG based on a PnP RPG is going to lean into that, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to get the license.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

you cant get a gpu currently: buy anything regardless of its acutual value proposition

vs

you cant get a gpu currently: wait

You are defining its value and rather poorly.

Also that wait could be late 2022 and if you want something now because your current machine isn’t cutting it then well guess what you need to do.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You can get a GPU if you buy a prebuilt I think, but you'll end up paying about 400 - 500 more for the entire system, but still better then scalper prices for all the parts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

You are defining its value and rather poorly.

Also that wait could be late 2022 and if you want something now because your current machine isn’t cutting it then well guess what you need to do.

you dont need to do anything, its a graphics card for video games. there is no rush.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I don't think the genre is for you. Any RPG based on a PnP RPG is going to lean into that, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to get the license.

Eh, I enjoyed my playthroughs of the Baldur's Gate series and Pillars of Eternity just fine, so I'd argue it's not the genre at fault. I would probably have enjoyed them more if they focused on making the Bhaalspawn/Watcher character a bit more mechanically distinct from the rest of the characters instead of doing the "Pick any one of these 15 classes and we'll tack on 5% extra plot powers at the end!" song and dance. I'd have preferred it if the main character had their own class with their own powers, and it would've meant they would've both felt a lot more special, and would've likely been a lot easier for the devs to balance and make content for.

Pillars of Eternity wasn't built on a PnP RPG or license as well, so the issue extends past official DnD/Pathfinder adaptations.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 23, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gort posted:

I always think RPG makers go the wrong way by frontloading all this character creation stuff to the very first parts of their game.

I'm going to play your hundred-hour RPG one time. Maybe 1.2 times, if I feel I screwed up my character or to try out a different build after I finish. I don't need a million character classes, prestige classes, subclasses and races, I just need one that's good to play as. Have a few different choices, (EG: Male and female Commander Shepard, do I want my Geralt to mostly lean on magic, bombs or swords) but it's much better to have a few differences in the player character that you really lean into and represent in the gameplay than a million choices - you're just opening yourself up to a balance nightmare and a terrible new user experience, and all the choices you worked on that I didn't pick when making my character were wasted time.

Use all the time you just saved from creating and balancing 1,000 character options to make the remaining options impactful and make the party members have cool custom powers.

Yeah. I've played a fair amount of TTRPGs in my time, though not Pathfinder specifically, and even with that foreknowledge the character generation was borderline meaningless. You've got a billion options, but absolutely no context about how significant any of their features are. Is 1d6 damage a lot in this system? How often will a certain favoured enemy type come up? Is a +1 modifier to a save significant or meaningless? How often can I expect to have a full rest? All of that is information that you'd only have after playing for a while, so putting it right at the start is basically the worst time. At least there's a respec option, but it's still a rough intro to the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

Eh, I enjoyed my playthroughs of the Baldur's Gate series and Pillars of Eternity just fine, so I'd argue it's not the genre at fault. I would probably have enjoyed them more if they focused on making the Bhaalspawn/Watcher character a bit more mechanically distinct from the rest of the characters instead of doing the "Pick any one of these 15 classes and we'll tack on 5% extra plot powers at the end!" song and dance. I'd have preferred it if the main character had their own class with their own powers, and it would've meant they would've both felt a lot more special, and would've likely been a lot easier for the devs to balance and make content for.

Pillars of Eternity wasn't built on a PnP RPG or license as well, so the issue extends past official DnD/Pathfinder adaptations.

Technically wrath actually has this, as you can toy with the mythic path you get later on which is basically a seperate class system all in its own, and you slowly pick through abilities before settling on one entirely.

technically feats but in pathfinder there are Correct choices, so.

#dnd things

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stux posted:

you dont need to do anything, its a graphics card for video games. there is no rush.
Ah yes, and someone in game dev or graphic design or animation can "just wait" because clearly they don't need a computer to do their jobs. And if your current GPU is just straight busted you can also just wait, even if you use your PC for work. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't see it before.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Commander Keene posted:

Ah yes, and someone in game dev or graphic design or animation can "just wait" because clearly they don't need a computer to do their jobs. And if your current GPU is just straight busted you can also just wait, even if you use your PC for work. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't see it before.

:goonsay:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh??? you think they dont need to buy a gpu??? well whaht if theyre going to use it to cure cancer IDIOT

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Seriously, who the gently caress cares if someone bought a gaming laptop instead of waiting an indefinite amount of time for a desktop graphics cards to be in stock for non-bots to buy.

Yes, buying a pre-built computer is more expensive than building one piecemeal from similar parts, and a gaming laptop won't be as powerful as a desktop. But really, who cares. It's an upgrade, and now OP can play games that they probably couldn't on their older computer.

This is some weird gatekeeping poo poo that someone didn't upgrade in the "right way" or isn't "gaming properly."

OP, congrats on your new laptop. And to reiterate what others have said, definitely don't game with it on your lap. Those bastards get really hot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thhats right its gatekeeping to say theres no rush to pay inflated prices currently when you havev a pc with a 980ti. im gatekeeping eveyrone from gaming, using a large gun, for saying this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why do you care?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Stux my 980ti was fine but it sits upstairs cuz it's a desktop and I don't get to use my upstairs stuff as often as my MacBook since I can play it downstairs on couch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bcios its funny to wathc people get extremely defensive over dumb purchases :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Fixins posted:

Stux my 980ti was fine but it sits upstairs cuz it's a desktop and I don't get to use my upstairs stuff as often as my MacBook since I can play it downstairs on couch.
You're going to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was looking at building a PC for my daughter and a loving like 1070 is more than i paid for my 2070 super when i bought it.