Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nice. I'm really tempted to put my next build in an A4 despite the extra hassle, because they're just so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Scythe posted:

that's pretty sick. I wish the regular NR200 supported a top mounted rad without modifications.

I wonder if it'd be possible to order the top rails and cover from the MAX and convert an NR200P - the case seems to disassemble very well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If anyone is interested I have a Dan A4 V3 that I really need to sell. I switched to a Dr. Zaber a while back.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just came home from Micro Center quite excited with an NR200P, ready to build but when I started gutting my existing machine (in an NZXT H210) I was reminded that when I got my 3080 I also switched to an ATX power supply

:negative:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I just came home from Micro Center quite excited with an NR200P, ready to build but when I started gutting my existing machine (in an NZXT H210) I was reminded that when I got my 3080 I also switched to an ATX power supply

:negative:

I'm using an ATX in mine, just gotta use a 3d printed adapter bracket. It's cramped, but I've got a Fuma2 and 3070ti ftw3 ultra crammed in there no problems.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm using an ATX in mine, just gotta use a 3d printed adapter bracket. It's cramped, but I've got a Fuma2 and 3070ti ftw3 ultra crammed in there no problems.

I don’t think I’m gonna fit a 3080 FE and a Corsair 280mm AIO in there with the PSU, but I’ll look around for some 3D printed stuff. I was going to look into mounting the radiator to the top anyway and that’s going to require some modding anyway, that might give me enough room.

edit: looks like everything will fit with this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4806769

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 19, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I don’t think I’m gonna fit a 3080 FE and a Corsair 280mm AIO in there with the PSU, but I’ll look around for some 3D printed stuff. I was going to look into mounting the radiator to the top anyway and that’s going to require some modding anyway, that might give me enough room.

edit: looks like everything will fit with this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4806769

Not all ATX PSUs will fit but it's worth measuring them. If you have a 150mm or less one you will have a chance. You can always ziptie the PSU in place to get a little more clearance as well.

I tried with a 160mm ATX PSU and no amount of finangling would make it fit.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Crossposting to the PC Build megathread.

I purchased an HTPC with input from this thread and the (now dead?) HTPC thread back in 2014 and am looking for some advice on a minor upgrade. While I use a Roku for most of our streaming purposes these days, I do occasionally need a computer to watch something online and have a moderately large library of movies and music stored on this machine.

I’m not a gamer and have a dedicated work laptop; based in the US.

The old HTPC build was:
• MB: ASRock B85M Pro4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/b85m%20pro4/
• CPU: Intel Core I3 4130 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77480/intel-core-i3-4130-processor-3m-cache-3-40-ghz.html
• RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089JIDLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• HDD: Samsung 120GB SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W15P0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• HDD: WD 2TB HDD https://www.amazon.com/AV-GP-Intellipower-Cache-Drive-WD20EURX/dp/B00DXOJJQQ
• CD/DVD: Pioneer BDC-207DBK https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDC-207DBK
• Case: Silverston Grandia GD06 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MKNNGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Following a change of interior furniture, my new cabinet size is ~ 17” W x 13” H x 16” D. The current case can fit, but the fans are up against the side of the cabinet and air circulation is effectively stopped.

It would be great to find a case that works with my current motherboard, but I’m not opposed to shifting down to a MITX case if everything else could be accommodated. The DVD player also isn’t very important – we have a separate Blu Ray player – so changing to a case that can’t accommodate it is not a big deal.

I was looking online and it seems like Silverstone has some MATX cases that fit my dimensions and would accommodate my peripherals but it’s been a while since I’ve built anything and I was hoping to get a second opinion.
Silverstone SG11 https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Micro-ATX-Mini-DTX-Compatible-SG11B/dp/B00U8IS830/ref=psdc_572238_t1_B07PF919BY

Am I going about this the right way?
Any other cases that I should look at instead?

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 19, 2021

brains
May 12, 2004

Anza Borrego posted:

Am I going about this the right way?
Any other cases that I should look at instead?

if your use case here is truly nothing but watching video and accessing local content on your tv, i'd recommend just getting a raspberry pi or whatever and streaming it from your current machine using parsec, moonlight, steamlink, or any of the dozen or so desktop streaming options out there. throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse and you have a <$100 replacement that will fit in any media cabinet. hell, you could stick it to the back of the tv. just put it on a wired connection, though.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

brains posted:

if your use case here is truly nothing but watching video and accessing local content on your tv, i'd recommend just getting a raspberry pi or whatever and streaming it from your current machine using parsec, moonlight, steamlink, or any of the dozen or so desktop streaming options out there. throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse and you have a <$100 replacement that will fit in any media cabinet. hell, you could stick it to the back of the tv. just put it on a wired connection, though.

The old case sat on a crappy ikea shelf next to my TV and now I have a nice media bookcase that all of my media devices need to go inside of. There is no place for the old case to go otherwise, and it doesn’t fit into my new media bookcase in a way that allows it to be used. I’ve got a Roku and wouldn’t be opposed to Plex or whatever is best now, but sometimes I need a PC browser to watch things. Im already running a wireless keyboard and mouse in this setup.

brains
May 12, 2004

Anza Borrego posted:

The old case sat on a crappy ikea shelf next to my TV and now I have a nice media bookcase that all of my media devices need to go inside of. There is no place for the old case to go otherwise, and it doesn’t fit into my new media bookcase in a way that allows it to be used. I’ve got a Roku and wouldn’t be opposed to Plex or whatever is best now, but sometimes I need a PC browser to watch things. Im already running a wireless keyboard and mouse in this setup.

the pi would just be an endpoint to stream to, so the HTPC can be anywhere else in the house as long as it has a wired network connection. no need to colocate it next to the tv anymore with such a setup.

it doesn't seem like you have enough computing need to waste the money on a full-fledged PC here, especially if you're not using it for anything more than light web browsing and media playback. you could use a pi 4 directly for web browsing if you're not using youtube that much, or a cheap NUC if you are, and host your media collection off it. it's just a low bar in terms of hardware needed, that's all, and it seems like an SFF build here is extreme overkill.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If this is just to watch things in a web browser and not, say, play the latest PC games on a TV, wouldn't a $200 Intel Celeron box or stick work just fine?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Z the IVth posted:

Not all ATX PSUs will fit but it's worth measuring them. If you have a 150mm or less one you will have a chance. You can always ziptie the PSU in place to get a little more clearance as well.

I tried with a 160mm ATX PSU and no amount of finangling would make it fit.

I printed a bracket but the power supply cables were going straight into the fan on the back of my 3080 founders edition in the highest position, I wasn’t able to put any fans on the top, and there wasn’t enough room to side mount the radiator so I bit the bullet and went back to micro center and got an SF750 (they had a shelf full of them)

Really love how it turned out. Nice and small, and much quieter than the h210 since the increased airflow is keeping everything cooler.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

I wonder if it'd be possible to order the top rails and cover from the MAX and convert an NR200P - the case seems to disassemble very well.

I was looking at that too, but the motherboard tray and back panel is different as well. Might be easier just to go with the 3d printed top hat.

edit: Working on the cable management, getting ready for the AIO. The tubes coming out of the pump on the cpu rub against the ram, is that going to be an issue? Or can I flip the pump upside down?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 21, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As long as it's not too much pressure and physically moving the RAM, it's a non-issue. Shouldn't be any problem flipping the pump either but worth double-checking the AIO manual on that.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hi, I'm looking to do a build and I've become enamored with the idea of going Mini-ITX. My plan for it is fairly casual gaming and WFH stuff, nothing intensive. Budget probably tops out around $2000, though obviously the lower the better. Here's what I threw together after about 30 minutes of looking around yesterday:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($272.66 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($173.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($216.22 @ Amazon)
Total: $1151.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-22 10:22 EDT-0400

I'm not super attached to the case, though I checked measurements to make sure the parts I picked would fit. I already have 16gb of new 3200 RAM sitting in a box on my desk, so that's why that isn't included. Assuming I don't win the lottery and get my hands on a 3070 within the next 3-6 months I'd be using my current GTX 970 (which I also made sure would fit in most cases I looked at). The 2TB SSD is probably a little excessive, now that I think about it.

Any suggestions for improvements? Anywhere I could save money? Any cool cases I may have missed? Some of the other cases I looked at were the Thermaltake The Tower 100 (which is so hideously goofy I almost love it) and the Thermaltake Core V1 which I find ok but I'm not crazy about it.

My only hard requirement is to avoid RGB wherever possible. I find it distracting and tacky and don't like it. I tolerate it on my mouse but don't really want it anywhere else in my setup.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

My only hard requirement is to avoid RGB wherever possible. I find it distracting and tacky and don't like it. I tolerate it on my mouse but don't really want it anywhere else in my setup.
The best part about programmable rgb is that you can turn it off.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Any suggestions for improvements? Anywhere I could save money? Any cool cases I may have missed?

Any reason you're not considering the NR200?

I'd not bother getting 3TB of storage split between an NVMe and SSD, just get a 2TB SN550.

With that hardware you'd be bottlenecking yourself with a 1080p screen. 27" 1440p high refresh rate screens are the new hotness, ask in the monitor thread for the best ones.

If you do go for the NR200 you'll want an SFX power supply but you don't need 750W to power a 5600x and 3070, the Corsair 600W Platinum would be plenty.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Mr. Humalong posted:

Any suggestions for improvements? Anywhere I could save money? Any cool cases I may have missed? Some of the other cases I looked at were the Thermaltake The Tower 100 (which is so hideously goofy I almost love it) and the Thermaltake Core V1 which I find ok but I'm not crazy about it.

Yeah, get a better case so you don’t have upgrade-itis. Ncase, formd, sliger, new lian li q58, meshlicious, nr200 etc etc

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

The best part about programmable rgb is that you can turn it off.

They usually charge extra for it being on the part in the first place :)

Butterfly Valley posted:

Any reason you're not considering the NR200?

I'd not bother getting 3TB of storage split between an NVMe and SSD, just get a 2TB SN550.

With that hardware you'd be bottlenecking yourself with a 1080p screen. 27" 1440p high refresh rate screens are the new hotness, ask in the monitor thread for the best ones.

If you do go for the NR200 you'll want an SFX power supply but you don't need 750W to power a 5600x and 3070, the Corsair 600W Platinum would be plenty.

Honestly hadn't looked at the NR200 but I like the color options and the room for fans. I'm not super interested in water cooling so that's awesome to have the versatility. Also triple guessing the 3TB, yeah. I'd probably do as you suggested. 27" is a bit too large for the type of games I play, but I can definitely look into it. My monitors are 10 and 12 years old so I'm, uh, a bit out of the loop. I picked the 750W partly at random, I didn't think I really needed more than 650 so that's good to know that I was right.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hi, I'm looking to do a build and I've become enamored with the idea of going Mini-ITX. My plan for it is fairly casual gaming and WFH stuff, nothing intensive. Budget probably tops out around $2000, though obviously the lower the better. Here's what I threw together after about 30 minutes of looking around yesterday:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Amazon)

I'm not super attached to the case, though I checked measurements to make sure the parts I picked would fit. I already have 16gb of new 3200 RAM sitting in a box on my desk, so that's why that isn't included. Assuming I don't win the lottery and get my hands on a 3070 within the next 3-6 months I'd be using my current GTX 970 (which I also made sure would fit in most cases I looked at). The 2TB SSD is probably a little excessive, now that I think about it.

That case sucks. ITX cases have moved ahead by light years, and the pricing sweet spot now is in the ~100 to 150 range, (though some of the better options include a CPU cooler and/or PSU and will run 2-300 as a result. If you like one of those, they're perfectly fine deals, just do the math etc.)

NR200 from cooler Master is the gold standard right now. The ssupd Meshilicious, Hyte Revolt, and Lian Li Q58 are all attractive new kids on the block that offer a lot as well. A lot of the better ITX cases (though, not the NR200) are designed to want an AIO liquid cooler, so keep that in mind, but otherwise, should be able to straight swap in to your intended build.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mr. Humalong posted:

They usually charge extra for it being on the part in the first place :)

Honestly hadn't looked at the NR200 but I like the color options and the room for fans. I'm not super interested in water cooling so that's awesome to have the versatility. Also triple guessing the 3TB, yeah. I'd probably do as you suggested. 27" is a bit too large for the type of games I play, but I can definitely look into it. My monitors are 10 and 12 years old so I'm, uh, a bit out of the loop. I picked the 750W partly at random, I didn't think I really needed more than 650 so that's good to know that I was right.

Appreciate the suggestions!

The NR200 has been the go-to SFF case since it was released due to the good value, high build quality, wide part compatibility and general ease of building in it. Generally most people go for a 1TB NVMe and if they want a load of dumb media storage add a larger HDD in (which is possible in the NR200). I did the same and ended up getting an additional 2TB NVMe a few months later when I realised how big modern games were, hence me recommending that straight up. I'll sell the 1TB drive in the future if PCIe 4 NVMe speeds become relevant and drop one of those in instead. With prices between PCIe 3.0 NVMe and regular SATA SSDs being roughly similar there's not much point in getting SATA drives anymore unless you're desperate for space and have used up all your M.2 slots imo.

I hadn't had a PC for 15 years so was also out of the loop but I got the LG27GL850 as recommended by the monitor thread and having very quickly got used to it there's no way I'd want to go back to a smaller screen now. I don't think there's any kind of content that isn't better served by being on a bigger screen.

Lots of people seem to love getting power supplies way higher than their actual needs. I'm running a 3080 and 5600x off a 600W PSU and it's absolutely fine. It's good to have some overhead for extra components/a bigger GPU down the road but you don't need to have literally twice the wattage.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chevy Slyme posted:

Lian Li Q58

God drat it, I just got a Meshlicious.

Speaking of the Meshlicious, I never knew you could lower the GPU bracket. I have it on the lowest spot, my right angle DP cables fit just fine (I have some feet I bought off Etsy), and I was able to move the motherboard try back to it's original position. So much more room for routing cables and AIO tubes and the side panel closes without issue now.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 22, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

NVMe drives can be had pretty cheap. Unless 3TB is your sweet spot, you may as well grab a 2TB Intel 660p and call it a day. Caveats are don't use it for 100GB uncompressed video transfers and it's not going to win a race against, like, a Sabrent Rocket. I used the 660p in my build and I'm pretty drat happy with it. Debating getting another to make a RAID 0 pair. It should land you a little cheaper that way dropping the extra 2TB SSD.

If you're doing WFH stuff, you might also want to consider a second monitor. I know for productivity I will suck down as many monitors as you give me. Otherwise consider a 1440--the 3070 should drive it just fine. This'll use more of your budget, but I upgraded from 2x 1080 to 2x 1440 in January and boy howdy.

Beyond that, all the case recommendations have already come out. You're not doing anything wet and wild with your build, so everything looks sane to me.

edit: If you absolutely need a bulk storage drive, grab a 5+TB external drive. Mine is collecting dust right now because I have almost zero need for more that 2TB of space unless I'm archiving :filez: or something.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
As heads up, Amazon Canada has been clearing out white NR200P for the last little while at 80 Canadian pesos with free shipping, so like 60 usd which is such a total no brainer for first itx build.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh loving goody, had to spend $47 on a price-gouged TPM module so I could upgrade to W11, and I can't fit the loving thing into my ITX pc because Asrock makes it an inch long and it hits my CPU fan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265261897405

I guess all I can do is try to desolder the connector and hook up some ribbon cable to it so I can turn it 90 degrees then tuck it in?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Oh loving goody, had to spend $47 on a price-gouged TPM module so I could upgrade to W11, and I can't fit the loving thing into my ITX pc because Asrock makes it an inch long and it hits my CPU fan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265261897405

I guess all I can do is try to desolder the connector and hook up some ribbon cable to it so I can turn it 90 degrees then tuck it in?

Asrock makes smaller ones too

https://asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=TPM-SPI

No idea if it’ll work because TPM is non standardized in hardware implementation between oems.

There are stories of people successfully using multiple USB internal 10pin extenders because female/male connectors are from the same family.

So you can try that or try finding connectors by part numbers on mouser and build a custom extender.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'll skip the backstory, but I may have jumped on the chance to order a mini version of the RTX3060 for less than what they seem to go for now and that has sent me down the SFF path for my current build. I'd been tempted for ages, so it's not an unwelcome outcome.

The only thing that gives me pause right now is that I live in a hotter climate and the ambient temps in the room can easily exceed 30-32C/86-90F when AC is not on.

Are modern small cases and fans up to working well in higher ambient temps? I was considering the NR200, but the Lian Li posted just now looks amazing too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd just skip Windows 11. Windows 10 has been great, which by Microsoft's tick-gently caress cycle means 11 will be hot garbage.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

a podcast for cats posted:

I'll skip the backstory, but I may have jumped on the chance to order a mini version of the RTX3060 for less than what they seem to go for now and that has sent me down the SFF path for my current build. I'd been tempted for ages, so it's not an unwelcome outcome.

The only thing that gives me pause right now is that I live in a hotter climate and the ambient temps in the room can easily exceed 30-32C/86-90F when AC is not on.

Are modern small cases and fans up to working well in higher ambient temps? I was considering the NR200, but the Lian Li posted just now looks amazing too.

Higher ambient temperature is going to mean higher hardware temps but the nr200 and the meshlicious are both very well ventilated ITX cases and should be able to cope well if you set them up right.

Although they're both large enough that they don't need mini GPUs so maybe you're looking to go smaller still.

For reference, in my nr200 I am keeping a 100w (a tad over what a 5600x draws stock, a bit under what a 5800x draws stock) CPU heatload under 45C over ambient and a 260w (idk is this around what a stock 3070 pulls?) GPU load to about 50c over ambient all completely inaudibly. That's gonna be totally fine for 35c ambient, but your mileage may vary depending on component choice, fan layout, heatsink size etc.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Undercoating would help with the GPU heat concerns, too.

Plus it’s stupidly easy to do.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a podcast for cats posted:

i live in the tropics, and its 27C in my apartment right now at 10:30pm, and i have a 5600x and an rtx 3060 in a meshlicious. its fine. i havent had any thermal throttling and after spending 2 hours messing with fan curves it's pretty silent with a 240mm aio, unless i'm rendering stuff. highest cpu temp ive seen was low 80s, highest gpu temp was mid 70s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

some temperature tests i did while doing some cpu and gpu 3d rendering in a slightly less than 30C ambient environment. that 650rpm fan #2 are the aio radiator fans and they're nearly silent during it, so is the 1950rpm aio pump. i havent done any overclocking or undervolting.

i think you'll probably be fine.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2021

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

i live in the tropics, and its 27C in my apartment right now at 10:30pm, and i have a 5600x and an rtx 3060 in a meshlicious. its fine. i havent had any thermal throttling and after spending 2 hours messing with fan curves it's pretty silent with a 240mm aio, unless i'm rendering stuff. highest cpu temp ive seen was low 80s, highest gpu temp was mid 70s

27C at 10:30 pm, 3 hours after sundown, is the exact temp I'm looking this week, so that's an excellent datapoint. Thank you.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NnMm68

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($356.75 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $41.99)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($228.87 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($114.09 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card (Purchased For $946.87)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $86.22)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($189.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Memory and storage is fluid the other stuff is pretty set or already bought.
I decided on vetroo cooler cuz the other options with similar performance like the noctua one are like 80 cad or the scythe stuff is over 100 to import.

So I'm just trying to decide between the itx b550i mobos. Are the asus or gigabyte variants worth the extra $30-$40 price difference or is the MSI fine. I'm aware of the higher CPU placement and weird backplate.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'd pay to not have that unnecessary whiny chipset fan on the board

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd just skip Windows 11. Windows 10 has been great, which by Microsoft's tick-gently caress cycle means 11 will be hot garbage.

As an IT person who has dealt with this for decades, I actually caught on to the pattern and was talking about it by the time Vista was out.

With that said, 11 seems like an OS update in name only. I think they just want to look as if they haven't all been Toobin' for the entirety of Covid.

edit:

Ah what the gently caress, I didn't even need to buy that scalped TPM module anyway. Apparently you can just update your BIOS and the newest CPUs can give you TPM 2.0 without the dongle. It just worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/o7a16s/psa_windows_11_and_the_tpm_20_requirement/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 23, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Are there any lower-profile tower air coolers that work well with the 5900X? I have a Cerberus X and currently have the half-mesh side panel, which worked well with a Dark Rock TF. But I want to change it out to the window panel, which would probably starve the Dark Rock at that point. The Cerberus X has about 148 mm of clearance/height available.

Alternatively I could do an AIO but that'd require placing the radiator on the bottom of the case...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
NR200 question

Is there any downside to mounting disks 2.5" disks to the front bays? I'm thinking of condensing my scattered drives into one machine.

On a related note, what's the most cost efficient storage solution? I'm assuming 2.5" HDDs are cheapest. Should I get a 5tb drive or 2x 2tb drives? I hazard that all the data I need to condense is maybe 2tb in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Zero VGS posted:

As an IT person who has dealt with this for decades, I actually caught on to the pattern and was talking about it by the time Vista was out.

With that said, 11 seems like an OS update in name only. I think they just want to look as if they haven't all been Toobin' for the entirety of Covid.

edit:

Ah what the gently caress, I didn't even need to buy that scalped TPM module anyway. Apparently you can just update your BIOS and the newest CPUs can give you TPM 2.0 without the dongle. It just worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/o7a16s/psa_windows_11_and_the_tpm_20_requirement/

Glad to know I'm not the only person thinking about this.