Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
For decades I thought it was charming/weird that in UK cop shows they call their (female) boss "Mom".

Now even though I know that it's "Ma'am", my brain has calcified and I will forever think of British cops as having some kind of arrested development issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

For decades I thought it was charming/weird that in UK cop shows they call their (female) boss "Mom".

Now even though I know that it's "Ma'am", my brain has calcified and I will forever think of British cops as having some kind of arrested development issue.
This was complicated for me by the phrase "Queen Mum." Clearly it can't be "Queen Ma'am," right? So all the servants and everything were definitely saying "mum." :dumb:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Tad Naff posted:

This was apparently an issue for American viewers of the Bodyguard TV series, where they thought the relationship was incestuous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If it's Britain that much is assured

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Tell me you're a white Gen Xer without telling me"

"Rammstein still holds up."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finnish - unlike English - has a word for malaria. (Horkka in case anyone gives a poo poo. I knew of horkka but never made the obvious connection.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The English word for malaria is malaria, in case you were wondering.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Preposterous.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I didn't realize that Rock and Roll McDonald's was real.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Finnish - unlike English - has a word for malaria. (Horkka in case anyone gives a poo poo. I knew of horkka but never made the obvious connection.)

American English uses the word "hork" fairly often.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rodbeard posted:

The one in Chicago? God, I haven't thought of that place in ages. When I was a kid, that place was magical.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Hirayuki posted:

This was complicated for me by the phrase "Queen Mum." Clearly it can't be "Queen Ma'am," right? So all the servants and everything were definitely saying "mum." :dumb:

You sure they’re not talking about the Queen Mother? Which is the widowed mother of the current monarch. Unless the widow is in the line of succession she doesn’t get to be the Queen anymore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Sadly it’s now like, ultra-modern/pseudo-futuristic McDonalds.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Hammersmith Apollo is not the Apollo Theatre, which is not the Apollo Theater. :psyduck:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My family has taken road trips for years growing up. On almost every trip, I'd inevitably see someone with a flat tire having to change it. Also being on a road trip, they've got all their luggage out of the car to the side of the road. I, as a child, assumed they were doing it to unload weight from the car to jack it up. I have never questioned this and even recently have seen the same thing.

I am 38 god drat years old and I just realized they take the luggage out to get to the jack and spare tire. I am also 38 years old and never had a flat while on a road trip, obviously.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vulgar posted:

You sure they’re not talking about the Queen Mother? Which is the widowed mother of the current monarch. Unless the widow is in the line of succession she doesn’t get to be the Queen anymore.
Absolutely they were. My brain knew it was Queen Mum = Queen Mother (obviously not Queen Ma'am), but it also heard "mum" when these folks said "ma'am" and just kind of went hog wild autocorrecting "ma'am" to "mum" from there.

eta: This was a LONG time ago. Like, second or third grade. I think it was Danger Mouse that started it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ma’am is a shibboleth. Pronouncing it ‘marm’ marks you as clueless to anyone on the far right hand side of the class bell curve, in the UK anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ma'am, this is a Wendy's drive through.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Torquemada posted:

Ma’am is a shibboleth. Pronouncing it ‘marm’ marks you as clueless to anyone on the far right hand side of the class bell curve, in the UK anyway.

You're not my real ma'am

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s mam as in ham when addressing the queen mother the second time you meet her, the first time it’s your majesty.

Mam in Newcastle, and parts of the north, is your mother
Mum in the south and if you are posh is your mother

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Who is it that has listened to Simon and Garfunkel since he was a kid but only now, as a 37 year old man, just figured out that the "canticle" in Scarborough Faire/Canticle referred to a parallel story Garfunkel was singing about a general "ordering his soldiers to kill" for a cause they've "long ago forgotten"?

<---- This moron!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It’s mam as in ham when addressing the queen mother the second time you meet her, the first time it’s your majesty.

Mam in Newcastle, and parts of the north, is your mother
Mum in the south and if you are posh is your mother

The Queen Mother is properly addressed with "loving hell I thought you were dead".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Dead One (Not Thatcher)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder if all the gin embalmed her.

My favourite story about her (the queen mother) is that she was secretly pro-gay rights, and let it be known to the Household Cavalry that it was well known gay men couldn’t grow moustaches *wink wink* so the guard became a haven for gay men who identified themselves to each other with glorious moustaches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Queen mother weed herself and played Donkey Konga all day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

learnincurve posted:

According to Chumbawamba, yes!

https://youtu.be/4XmNNb63TVo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Who is it that has listened to Simon and Garfunkel since he was a kid but only now, as a 37 year old man, just figured out that the "canticle" in Scarborough Faire/Canticle referred to a parallel story Garfunkel was singing about a general "ordering his soldiers to kill" for a cause they've "long ago forgotten"?

<---- This moron!

I mean, for me it's all the drug references.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RoboRodent posted:

I mean, for me it's all the drug references.

Drug references? I guess I'm a moron again because I've never noticed any.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Parsley, k2. Sage, clearly salvia, Rosemary? More like rose Mary Jane - it’s weed. Thyme? Heroin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Queen mother weed herself and played Donkey Konga all day.

Can't say my retirement plans are any different

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I can't believe I just figured out that AC/DC is really loving good. Exactly my kind of music.

I mean, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S69xWkV4uM

came out seven years before I was born. Wtf? What took me so long?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Marvel happened, suddenly you couldn’t get away from back in black and shoot to kill which aren’t their best work by a long shot, just the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKlO0hM-zMw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Wtf? What took me so long?

Happy birthday! You're now officially middleaged which means your metabolism now sucks, your knees no longer function properly, you have opinions about how to mow the lawn correctly and you develop a sudden interest in dad rock

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hyperlynx posted:

I can't believe I just figured out that AC/DC is really loving good. Exactly my kind of music.

I mean, this:

I discovered them in college! I was listening to the radio on the way home from class and a song came on that sounded like the opening of Phantom of the Opera, which got my attention, then this suave sounding fellow proceeded to regale me about his big balls. I cracked up laughing and looked up what the song was later. (It's called Big Balls- phone posting so I can't link it easily.) The album that song is on was the first CD I bought- yes I'm old...

Anyway yeah they're great! For my graduation present I had my mom bring me to see them in concert. It was a blast!

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

learnincurve posted:

My favourite story about her (the queen mother) is that she was secretly pro-gay rights, and let it be known to the Household Cavalry that it was well known gay men couldn’t grow moustaches *wink wink* so the guard became a haven for gay men who identified themselves to each other with glorious moustaches.

drat, this sounds way better and also more brave than openly supporting gay rights. every country should have a ruling class made up of those born with a divine mandate!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

learnincurve posted:

Marvel happened

Always wondered why it didn't do anything for Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.

Ah, that's right. Because it's Never Say Die.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, everything ACDC did with Bon Scott was loving great. There's some great some with Brian Johnson too but the Scott stuff is unimpeachable. Gotta love Bon Scott, the man's last name is a first name and his first name is not a name. Brilliant stuff. Just a wonderfully ugly little gnome of a man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, this:

Bon Scott AC/DC being the superior AC/DC is far from being a controversial opinion. Brian Johnson has been their singer for far, far longer (40 years to Bon's 5 or so) and most of their big hits, including Back in Black, were from the Brian era, but the Bon songs are just more fun. (Back in Black, the album, was written when Bon was still alive, but he died of alcohol poisoning before he could record it.)

I mean, the music's also sleazy and misogynistic and male-gazey and they're very much a product of their time and place, 70s blue-collar Australia, but they're still fuckin fun. I dunno, I'm no music critic, it's like Bon has this joy to his sleaziness that's absent from Brian's voice. And maybe it's also cause the band was fresher back then, and if they were a little more serious with their new singer after their old one drank himself to death, well, who can blame em

Also I like Malcolm's guitar parts better'n Angus, fight me

Source: some years ago I decided that I liked Bon Scott Acdc and bought most of their studio albums

On CD

Cause I'm old

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

learnincurve posted:

Marvel happened, suddenly you couldn’t get away from back in black and shoot to kill which aren’t their best work by a long shot, just the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKlO0hM-zMw

Maybe we just ran in different circles, but AC/DC seemed to have a flatline of generic "classic rock" popularity for the past 3 decades. I always remember Back in Black being a thing. By the time Marvel got to it, it was almost kind of a punchline. Like a slightly more modern version of using "Bad to the Bone" when a guy puts on sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phy posted:

(Back in Black, the album, was written when Bon was still alive, but he died of alcohol poisoning before he could record it.)

I'm not sure this is entirely true, at least the lyrics. I think they were incomplete at best, and it's really hard to imagine Bon singing some of those songs. As much as "she told me told me to come but I was already there" feels like him I think it was more trying to mimic his style.