Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

Someone’s gotta be Ric Flair.

given that flair just got #MeToo'd, i don't know if that's the particular heel i'd attribute towards him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Matt would have had a huge payday yesterday if he hadn't missed the Alan Turing DD. :(

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Being this unstoppable juggernaut and not knowing a 200 dollar level clue Final Jeopardy about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is really funny. Then again Ken lost on a fairly easy one (but not that easy).
I don't think this question was anywhere as near as easy as you're characterizing it. I barely got it right, and I just saw the movie for the first time 6 months ago.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

thrawn527 posted:

Some people do consider Holzhauer the new standard. I'm not saying they're right, but people like this exist, and make some pretty good points, and things I see Matt doing.

I meant that the huge money totals (as opposed to merely betting bigger on DDs) hasn't become the standard.

wa27 posted:

James has been doing a trashtalking bit on twitter ever since his original run (and really ramped it up around the GOAT tourney). It's pretty funny and everybody is in on it, so don't read too much into his tweets.

I'm fine with him being the heel of the Jeopardy! contestant universe. I don't care about his trash talking, but this was just sort of lame. Like when dipshits like Ted Cruz try to dunk on people online, but just show that they don't really understand the premise of their own joke.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I can see that Roger Rabbit final being difficult if you weren't traumatized as a child by the utter terror of a cartoon shoe.

When Matt was up 30k and had a daily double, I thought he should have bet it all; instead he just bid 15k. Go for it all: Either you make it sporting for the others, who never would have had a chance otherwise; or, crush them utterly under your feet and hear the lamentations of their women.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Golbez posted:

I can see that Roger Rabbit final being difficult if you weren't traumatized as a child by the utter terror of a cartoon shoe.

yeah if you were born after a certain time (matt was born in 1990) and didn't see the movie there's just not really an in, it's not exactly a cultural touchstone (i didn't know it, b. '88)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

yeah if you were born after a certain time (matt was born in 1990) and didn't see the movie there's just not really an in, it's not exactly a cultural touchstone (i didn't know it, b. '88)

Yeah, same, born the same year as you.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Oh dang, you all have to go watch it. It's very good! I'm surprised to find that trivia people don't all know it. It was the highest grossing film in the US in that year, and it was awarded a special achievement Oscar, which is rare. I think it was rarely available on streaming sites before Disney+ launched. Maybe that's why it might be fading from memory a bit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone should watch it. Like I said earlier, it's just a good detective noir story that's (mostly) kid friendly, has Christopher Lloyd chewing scenery all over the drat place as a character named Judge Doom, the special effects actually hold up to this day because they're achieved by brilliant yet simple tricks, and (I believe this is still true to this day) is the only movie to feature both Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny on screen at the same time due to some magical contract negotiations. It's film history, and drat entertaining.

The movie manages to be fun for kids and adults, while also making a statement about the changing nature of the world (be it through the film industry, using cartoons as a stand in for the move from silent movies to talkies, or moving from god drat trolley cars to automobiles). It's a delight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
and then get a little hosed up and watch Cool World after

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thrawn527 posted:

and (I believe this is still true to this day) is the only movie to feature both Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny on screen at the same time due to some magical contract negotiations. It's film history, and drat entertaining.

They aren't just on screen at the same time, they're onscreen for the exact same amount of time- they enter together, do their bit, and then leave together. This is even preserved in the pan&scan home video release, the panning is done so they both get obscured in favor of the other for the same lengths of time.

There's another scene featuring both Daffy Duck and Donald Duck, but I don't think it's so carefully arranged.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

haveblue posted:

Daffy Duck and Donald Duck

I didn't realize these were two separate characters until this exact moment.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

and then get a little hosed up and watch Cool World after

Good lord, don't do this. I watched Cool World for the first time last year during quarantine. That might be the worst movie I've ever seen. It's just...yikes.

To be fair, I was stone cold sober for it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

thrawn527 posted:

Good lord, don't do this. I watched Cool World for the first time last year during quarantine. That might be the worst movie I've ever seen. It's just...yikes.

To be fair, I was stone cold sober for it.

The Folding Ideas channel did a youtube video on Ralph Bakshi recently where he pointed out that when Bakshi started animating as an independent filmmaker he never had enough money at any one time to film a movie all in one go, so he would only ever script and animate individual animated sequences and then eventually he would try to assemble whatever parts of a movie he had managed to put together into a cohesive whole. It's a technique that works fine for a surreal day-in-the-life movie like Fritz the Cat, works somewhat on a movie with a preexisting narrative structure to act as a framework to like Lord of the Rings, and doesn't work at all in Cool World. Cool World absolutely feels like a movie that was haphazardly assembled like a Frankenstein monster from disconnected narrative threads. It makes no sense and is not fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cool World was rewritten behind Bakshi's back if I remember right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lester Shy posted:

I didn't realize these were two separate characters until this exact moment.

what the duck

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

thrawn527 posted:

Everyone should watch it. Like I said earlier, it's just a good detective noir story that's (mostly) kid friendly, has Christopher Lloyd chewing scenery all over the drat place as a character named Judge Doom, the special effects actually hold up to this day because they're achieved by brilliant yet simple tricks, and (I believe this is still true to this day) is the only movie to feature both Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny on screen at the same time due to some magical contract negotiations. It's film history, and drat entertaining.

The movie manages to be fun for kids and adults, while also making a statement about the changing nature of the world (be it through the film industry, using cartoons as a stand in for the move from silent movies to talkies, or moving from god drat trolley cars to automobiles). It's a delight.

Depends on your definition of "kid". We watched it last night and it's got some good filth in there. Target audience was definitely adults who grew up on Loony Tunes.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the problem with Holzhauer is that he doesn’t go hard enough

https://twitter.com/themonkeyjungle/status/1440840684756357125

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I really want someone's stupid anecdote to be that they always skip the contestant interviews segment when they watch.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"I always watch Jeopardy after my DVR records it and whenever I fast-forward through the first commercial break I always seem to hit play right after the first contestant interview is done but I never rewind and see it so I'm always just watching two and leaving one person out"

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I watch it live-ish - I start watching at ~7:07, which is usually enough slack to skip all of the commercials and the interviews.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm a madman, I fastforward through the interviews, and I skip FJ if I know the correct response. Any contestant who has a shtick of any kind automatically gets an F from me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zesty posted:

Depends on your definition of "kid". We watched it last night and it's got some good filth in there. Target audience was definitely adults who grew up on Loony Tunes.

I mean, I watched as a young kid, born in 1983, and there were things I didn't understand, but I still loved it. I just loved it more as I got older.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

and I skip FJ if I know the correct response.

You can't see if people wagered like morons if you do this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Any contestant who has a shtick of any kind automatically gets an F from me.

I was literally laughing to myself when I thought of the guy who brought horse hands for his interview THIS MORNING.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
e.l.f. cosmetics having a bit of fun with Matt's incorrect DD answer yesterday:

https://twitter.com/elfcosmetics/status/1441159408533196800?t=NqgWN_s3dd_le3sN7fD7ow&s=19

Changed the profile photo too, on all their social media.

Lucania fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 24, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I guessed the Final Jeopardy answer based on the category and I thinking to myself "What's the most obscure food in the Bible?"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I did the exact same thing as Matt, locusts popped in my head first but then I just assumed that it was more likely that Leviticus contained frog-eating than locust-eating.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ror posted:

I did the exact same thing as Matt, locusts popped in my head first but then I just assumed that it was more likely that Leviticus contained frog-eating than locust-eating.

Same :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also same. Always go with the first guess, I guess?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I figured it was either locusts or frogs, and leaned towards the latter because I liked the film Magnolia and the comic B.P.R.D., which had an arc called Plague of Frogs. This (and the fact that I'm an idiot) is why I would be a horrible contestant.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I knew it because I knew that locusts are the only type of insect which is kosher.

Frogs are treif.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah chalk me up as another person who thought locusts was too much of a gimme and went with frogs instead. :sigh:

Shoutout to Guhan too, if he had gone all in on his first DD he'd have had Matt tied up going into Final and won the game. Tough break dude, but at least he gave Matt more a fight than anyone since the break ended

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah chalk me up as another person who thought locusts was too much of a gimme and went with frogs instead. :sigh:

Shoutout to Guhan too, if he had gone all in on his first DD he'd have had Matt tied up going into Final and won the game. Tough break dude, but at least he gave Matt more a fight than anyone since the break ended

:same:

Also yeah, seems like the way Matt is going to go down is if they keep the DDs away from him or he does what he did last night and goes big on the last one but whiffs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How did Jennings and Holzhauer eventually get beaten? Lost an aggressive bet late? I don't have any memory of those that dethroned them being particularly noteworthy.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Zesty posted:

How did Jennings and Holzhauer eventually get beaten? Lost an aggressive bet late? I don't have any memory of those that dethroned them being particularly noteworthy.

The details are a bit fuzzy but I'll try:

Ken whiffed on Final since he did his own taxes (Final was 90% of this company's employees only work 4 months). Nancy Zerg (who beat him) lost the next day

James got outplayed by Emma by doing his strategy. She won three games, Qualified for the TOC, met up again and split two games. He won due to a massive total in game 1

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

In terms of how Nancy even got close enough to make Final competitive, Ken whiffed a couple DDs and put her within striking distance. And yeah, Emma just straight-up outplayed James, she went just as aggressive as he did with DD hunting and big bets with the trivia knowledge to back it up.

Emma might be the giant-killer with the best streak afterwards though, there's a real trend of upset winners going on to get trounced the next game unfortunately.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah to me he essentially threw in the towel and acquiesced to 2nd/3rd when he made that wager. If you're serious about trying to unseat a player like Matt, you need to bet huge when you luck into a DD even if the category is Legends of Badminton. Otherwise you're just hoping he makes a disastrous unforced error late in Double Jeopardy or violates the Claven Rule in final which ain't happening.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I don't quite remember, but weren't Emma's scores on her run only not record setting because she was coming after James'? She was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Andorra posted:

I don't quite remember, but weren't Emma's scores on her run only not record setting because she was coming after James'? She was really good.

She was; she won $80-something thousand in her three days.