Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The substitution rule for this tournament seem ill defined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Darth TNT posted:

I''m getting a little tired of this fight. I was fine with how it ended with Zerofuku, but now this guy comes along. :shrug:

:same:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ethiser posted:

The substitution rule for this tournament seem ill defined.

The tournament has been runnning on rule of cool since the beginning.
its technically a transformation so its kosher, besides everyone wants to see fightan

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie 51

Beelzebub is the worst.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ooh this fight is giving me chills.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And knowing how big of a poo poo Beelzebub is makes me incredibly hype for his eventual fight.

This fight is making up for the Raiden-shiva borefest.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, and I'm wondering who the gently caress is gonna fight Beelzebub? Rasputin?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, and I'm wondering who the gently caress is gonna fight Beelzebub? Rasputin?

A redeemed Zerofuku

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Every chapter of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie that comes out continues to be absolutely awesome and I just get more disappointed in how awful the anime was. As bad as the CG berserk show. These cool seinen series deserve better.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress'em up Buddha!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Ethiser posted:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Di-di-di-decade!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Aw poo poo, Buddha's lost his cool.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If anyone wants a ladies-only Shuumatsu no Valkyrie ripoff Majo Taisen has been slowly being pulled out of the Bad Scanlation Zone over the last week. Everything up to chapter 6 has a decent scan at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Someone gifted me Uzumaki for my Birthday. I've never read it before but did read some of Ito's other stories. So that's a nice surprise.

Ibblebibble posted:

If anyone wants a ladies-only Shuumatsu no Valkyrie ripoff Majo Taisen has been slowly being pulled out of the Bad Scanlation Zone over the last week. Everything up to chapter 6 has a decent scan at least.

And wow, that's quite a blatant borrow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of Junji Ito, i picked up a copy of No Longer Human purely out of excitement over it being a Junji Ito manga not written by Junji Ito and jfc it was a garbage loving story. Apparently a crowning pillar of japanese literature is just some lovely dude bragging about how many women's lives he's ruined and how TOTALLY hosed UP I AM BRO.
Great art though, obviously. For me when it comes to Ito it's Uzumaki first, followed by Cat Diary which is amazing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Speaking of Junji Ito, i picked up a copy of No Longer Human purely out of excitement over it being a Junji Ito manga not written by Junji Ito and jfc it was a garbage loving story. Apparently a crowning pillar of japanese literature is just some lovely dude bragging about how many women's lives he's ruined and how TOTALLY hosed UP I AM BRO.
Great art though, obviously. For me when it comes to Ito it's Uzumaki first, followed by Cat Diary which is amazing.

drat, Osamu Dazai will never recover from this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

drat, Osamu Dazai will never recover from this
He ain't gonna recover from much anything these days.
It struck me as typical of the sort of misogynistic poo poo considered "great literary canon". Though funnily enough Ito tweaked it to be even more woman-hating.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

hUmAn FeMaLeS

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It struck me as typical of the sort of misogynistic poo poo considered "great literary canon". Though funnily enough Ito tweaked it to be even more woman-hating.

I think I encountered this story a while ago in the “Blue Literature” anime series which was adapting a few of Japan’s classic masterpieces of literature to animation. I remember not really enjoying it but feeling I should watch it because it was supposed to be important.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Call it a hunch, but I don't think the novel about a man who thinks he isn't deserving of humanity or life because of all of the awful things he has done is exactly endorsing his behavior! I guess you'd know more than me, though, having read the manga adaptation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't consider it a wholesale endorsement but the story as presented absolutely frames it as this dark mystic charm. It's all very romantic about its darkness in a very teen dude way. THE FEMALES OF THE SPECIES just throw themselves at him and he repeatedly destroys their lives. Ultimately, for something called No Longer Human he finds himself sort of blameless in the end, presenting the women in his life as some sort of plague. From what I can tell Ito's is a fairly faithful adaptation

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't consider it a wholesale endorsement but the story as presented absolutely frames it as this dark mystic charm. It's all very romantic about its darkness in a very teen dude way. THE FEMALES OF THE SPECIES just throw themselves at him and he repeatedly destroys their lives. Ultimately, for something called No Longer Human he finds himself sort of blameless in the end, presenting the women in his life as some sort of plague. From what I can tell Ito's is a fairly faithful adaptation

From what I've read, Ito's version HEAVILY cranks up the volume on the darkness as well as changing some stuff on who dies. The stuff I've read about it frames the book as having been about a person who lived a VERY sad and depressing dreary life

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hUmAn FeMaLeS

Bobby Hill goes to Japan?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished reading the first chapter of Endevi by the author of Witch Hat Atelier and I REALLY want her to draw a manga version of Good Omens. Manga is super good as well and her is absolutely gorgeous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who cares about those nerds from good omen when there are stylish garbage lesbians?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

who cares about those nerds from good omen when there are stylish garbage lesbians?

Compromise. Manga of Good Omens by this author and an anime or TV Series about this one. Best of both worlds in that we see more of her awesome artwork and we get an series TV or anime of this preferably by the same people who did Good Omens or Heaven's Design Team.

Edit: This REALLY does need an anime for sure. Same with Witch Hat.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 13, 2021

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I just binged 21ish volumes Dance Dance Danseur after hearing it got an anime announcement. It's a bit of a blend between Welcome to the Ballroom and Glass Mask in that it's about a boy who gets into ballet and has to learn both how to dance properly and how to express emotion on stage. Quite a bit of bullying in the beginning, though, and the romance parts lean more bitter than sweet. Overall very enjoyable, however, and a prime example of why I love manga so much, with how great the medium can be at making the reader imagine that these performers are doing something truly magical beyond the frames.

Lots of this stuff to be found:

For me it fills part of the big hole left behind by Act-age. Hopefully it'll get a decent studio that can give it the animation it needs to come alive.

Edit: Oh, apparently it's Mappa.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 18, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
100 Girlfriends continues to be one of the best things in life.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The joke towards of the end of Rentaro having a DJ persona/skit prepared to help out that he never got around to using was very good.
The follow up joke of the delinquents not having actual cigarettes the entire time but being so impressed by Chiyo's iinchou-powers that they copied her was even better.

It's good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

Sailing the seven seas confirmed less harmful than cigarettes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

doomrider7 posted:

is the lovely british slang in the manga or did someone add it because it is terrible

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think its funny. Though an odd translation decision if not intended by the author.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I imagine it's edited in since all the british slang is a different font than the surrounding text.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
that's actually how XuN translated it. couldn't tell you their translation philosophy or what the original is like, tho.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

verbal enema posted:

is the lovely british slang in the manga or did someone add it because it is terrible

Terrible as in cringing hilarious due to how awful it is or terrible as in a legit bad translation choice? Because I find that poo poo stupidly loving hilarious and 100% on brand for the series, same with Ms. Naddy's absolutely atrocious "Murican" accent.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I assumed that they were probably clumsily using English slang to try and seem tough in the original, and this was a fairly funny way to translate the goofy poseur vibe?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
it just sucks? idk just tellem to gently caress off like anyone else would?

screw you and piss off woud have worked much better but then again i havent read the series soooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It has been a while since parent induced misery: the manga has been posted about but it seems to be headed for an ending.

Its always been a very torturous read just because of its pacing and paneling.

Context seiichi basically pinned his moms crime on himself in the hopes hed see her again because she gaslit him into believing he did it. She got released and led him along promising she would visit but never does. This is during his trial and the first time hes seen her since he got arrested

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 23, 2021