Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm thinking of getting a visor (dark and GOLD REFLECTIVE) for my HJC helmet since RF1400s won't be in stock for a million years. Does the outside coating have any effect on how you see the road? Will the gold/silver/blue make it harder/easier to see road irregularities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

I'm thinking of getting a visor (dark and GOLD REFLECTIVE) for my HJC helmet since RF1400s won't be in stock for a million years. Does the outside coating have any effect on how you see the road? Will the gold/silver/blue make it harder/easier to see road irregularities?

Regardless of color my robovisors were all very dark, darker than a dark smoke visor so not very good for lower light conditions but very good if you live somewhere like Arizona. They didn't really help see shadows any better. FWIW I find the coated ones are easier to scratch.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coated ones scratch pretty easy but nothing beats looking like an astronaut so just get a gold one and call it a day

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Why i live in exactly that place and want to look like an astronaut. Cheers! This will hold me over until Christmas when hopefully rf1400s will be in stock.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Different colours of mirror finish don't filter the light differently, they're effectively just a block that stops some amount of light getting through to your eyes, this is true regardless of whether you're talking about sunglasses or visors or whatever. It's a surface finish so the underlying glass/polycarb can have a separate colour tint though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth helmet headset that won't break the bank? I'm currently looking at a Cardo Freecom 1+ headset for $125 but I'm wondering if there are better deals. I don't care about mesh networks or connecting with other people, I just want to hear my phone GPS.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just bought a used (return to Sportsbikeshop, basically new in box) Sena SMH5 for the missus' helmet for £72.

Pros:

Easy to install.
It will hook up to:
1. Your phone.
2. Your GPS.
3. Other Sena intercoms, up to 700m away. I've tested intercomming the SMH5 and the 20S together, work fine.

Cons:
It comes with a single speaker for your left ear, no dual speakers. I think you can change out the speakers for duals if you want to (standard 3.5mm connection).

e: left ear.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 15, 2021

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth helmet headset that won't break the bank? I'm currently looking at a Cardo Freecom 1+ headset for $125 but I'm wondering if there are better deals. I don't care about mesh networks or connecting with other people, I just want to hear my phone GPS.

This is exactly what I bought for exactly what I paid for it and I’m super happy with it. I might upgrade the speakers eventually, but I don’t have anything bad to say about it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Sena 3s is only like $80 (usually), and it does everything I need it to. Not giving a poo poo about mesh or other people is basically why I bought it, and it holds up really well. I've ridden for like 10 hours on a single charge, and the audio quality is fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't remember if I asked this, but are there any armoured hoodies or "flannel" shirts that are worth even looking at? Literally just to throw on to ride to the store or for coffee 2 minutes away, no highway no backroads no commuting, nothing.

Obviously tradeoffs but is there anything to be said for them that isn't "eh I guess it's not a t-shirt at least".

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Eh, I wouldn't bother. I ride to my physio appointment and it's only a kilometer and a half away, just wearing whatever gear is appropriate for the weather.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

I don't remember if I asked this, but are there any armoured hoodies or "flannel" shirts that are worth even looking at? Literally just to throw on to ride to the store or for coffee 2 minutes away, no highway no backroads no commuting, nothing.

Obviously tradeoffs but is there anything to be said for them that isn't "eh I guess it's not a t-shirt at least".

Scorpion makes a flannel but it kind of sucks.

Tobacco makes a riding shirt but it only has elbow protection (no shoulder/back) and it's super expensive.

This is kind of a combo of both. I bought something similar at a bike event with some gaudy branding on the lower back area, and it works for decent covert motorcycle protection, but the Kevlar makes it much warmer than a normal hoodie would be.

Just wear a mesh jacket.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Neo_Crimson posted:

another one for this. I have this exact model for this exact use (more music and less GPS but still works for both just fine). no complaints, it's exactly what I wanted since all I do is solo riding.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
On the other end of the scale if you are like 2 brothers and the dad mesh is soo good. We got him a sena 30k like we have and sold his old 20s Sena so all we need to get riding com wise is "hit power buttons, antenna must be up, hit the mesh button.
No " oh you do two presses, I do 1 press on the bt com button, oh wait you need press once" while all have all gear on sweating like pigs.

AND NO loving NOT PERFECT TOTALLY ALL IN LINE OF SIGHT SIGNAL NOISE.

So slow riders and field stretching out is not a cacaphony of interference. Sidecar with passenger (slow) and single rider brappo can go in and out of range without reconnecting via buttons and no drat radio noise.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Knox Orsa MkIIs to replace my rapidly disintegrating MkIs, on sale at £90 down from £130 :toot:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Any recommendations for a warm weather two season jacket? I'm trying to stay below $400, prefer textile. I tried an Astars T-GP R v2 Air but the zipper was weirdly backward (pulled from the left) and was cheap as poo poo. The thing split the first time I zipped it then misfed the second. Sent it right back.

Edit: this is a supplemental short ride jacket to use as a backup to my Roadcrafter. Doesn't need to be hyper protective but I'd still like some CE armor protection.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Weirdly my Dianese jacket has a backwards zipper too. Is that a euro thing?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My Rev'it is also backwards and that's US right?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

CloFan posted:

My Rev'it is also backwards and that's US right?

I thought Rev'it was Australian for some reason which would make it upside-down. But then I looked it up and they're actually Dutch.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Knox Orsa MkIIs to replace my rapidly disintegrating MkIs, on sale at £90 down from £130 :toot:

Get inn deal of the century.

Leather or textile?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Leather, naturally. Got the first pair 6 years ago so I'm well due a replacement.

e/vv not in my size or I'd have gotten a pair then.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Get inn deal of the century.

Leather or textile?

Knox Orsas were for sale for £30 at Christmas time.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

anyone got a backpack they like? Just want something small to toss a couple of thermoses in for the morning coffee run

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My Kriega R20 has lasted me for over a decade with no complaints.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Walked posted:

anyone got a backpack they like? Just want something small to toss a couple of thermoses in for the morning coffee run

read back two pages of the thread

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Weirdly my Dianese jacket has a backwards zipper too. Is that a euro thing?

Zipper on the left is a most-places-except-the-US thing. Dainese/A*s/Rukka/Rev'It usually have zippers on the left. American brands like Klim/Joe Rocket/etc. have them on the right

e: phrasing

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 22, 2021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My favorite hoodie is from a Japanese company and I bought my raincoat in Canada so the Dianese zippers seem normal to me at this point.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gloves arrived, unexpectedly, after the shop told me there'd been a stock error and they didn't have any. Guess they double-sold the last pair and somebody else just asked for a refund rather than wait. Anyway!

Differences from MkI:
- they've widened the fingers out a lot; break-in won't take nearly as long this time, which is nice
- index fingertip is suede leather which will let me use my phone with gloves on
- the action on the right hand boa wheel has been reversed, bizarrely. Previously both of them tightened with a clockwise motion, now they're mirrored so you move your thumb up on both hands. I guess somebody thought this was more intuitive or comfortable? idk, I'll get used to it

Goat leather continues to be extremely comfortable, here's to 5 more years of riding :toot:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Kriega R25 here and like it

And ya euro zippers being reversed is very annoying, but I chalk it up to just a bunch of lefties there or some poo poo. My scuderia sweater/sweatshirt thing has the same zipper on the left dumb

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I tried out that Specialized ANGI crash monitor on my trip last week. It's quite small and sticks firmly to the back of my helmet, powered by a watch battery, and it stayed on in 200 km/h headwinds. (Ssh.)

I did some preliminary testing with it before I stuck it on. It alarmed when: I threw the sensor down the stairs, and I lobbed it underhand at my bed. Guessing it's just an accelerometer or three and part of what it looks for is freefall. Once on my helmet, it did not alarm doing hard takeoffs or high speeds or lots of linked turns. I haven't tested it in anger because I don't want to purposely crash my bike, but it'd be interesting to try it out on a motocross track or doing some woods riding.

It's just a crash sensor. It bluetooth links to your phone, and the Specialized app is what handles the callout. My biggest worry about it was its survivability in a motorcycle crash, but it actually alarmed in the air when I tested it. So even with the harder impacts we can take compared to MTB riders, if the sensor can get an oh-poo poo signal to your phone before it's smeared along the pavement, you should still get a message out if you're in reception (and your phone survives).

You can set the app to message multiple people, and send both a text and an email. That's good because sms texts can often get through in places with marginal reception.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Looking to buy battery-powered heated gloves so I can also use them on my bicycle. Any recs or any features to keep an eye out for?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Prefer gloves that don't have a built-in temperature controller if you can find them, or if they do make sure it remembers your last heat setting when you power cycle it.

I can't recommend any specific models unfortunately, I just remember that the Keis pair I had were a massive pain in the rear end because the electrical connection was very spotty and every time the power dropped they'd switch off and be impossible to reset without pulling over because the buttons were on the backs of the gloves.

Gerbing used to do a set where the controller was built into the battery, with a pouch in the glove cuff for putting the battery in; I'm not sure if you can still get those though

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

T Zero posted:

Looking to buy battery-powered heated gloves so I can also use them on my bicycle. Any recs or any features to keep an eye out for?

I think mosko will be coming out with some sooner than later, but tbh I never found anything better than some lovely chinese snow gloves that were battery powered. best bet is gonna be glove liners that run off your bike battery imho but that doesn’t help for bike riding :(

(I used the chinese gloves pedal biking and they were gr8, but would definitely be shredded in a bike crash, let alone a motorcycle crash, but you make sacrifices to ride in the snow lol)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Just posted a bunch of stuff in the CA marketplace.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=85#post517993088

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My D-air jacket has stopped working :argh:

Fortunately it has a 2 year warranty as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the only service centre in the country is in Lugano, the other side of the Alps. What a pain.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

My D-air jacket has stopped working :argh:

Fortunately it has a 2 year warranty as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the only service centre in the country is in Lugano, the other side of the Alps. What a pain.

That bites but it's the Italian part of Switzerland so the logic holds I guess. Can you mail it or does that cost way too much?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

They apparently have to be returned in person because the gas canister and battery are dangerous.

https://www.dainese.com/it/en/dair-return.html

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Incredibly stupid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

They apparently have to be returned in person because the gas canister and battery are dangerous.

https://www.dainese.com/it/en/dair-return.html

In hindsight that probably should have been obvious, though I'm a little surprised they won't let you do ground shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How do they ship them from the factory in the first place? :confused: