Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

nonathlon posted:

That is a good one. Just tweaks the original formulae enough to tighten the game up and puts it in an interesting setting.

Amongst the other weird variants (not infections but water / Cthulhu / barbarians), what's interesting? I've always wanted to try them but no one local owns them.

I enjoyed Rising Tide, but have only played a few times. The way water floods to equal levels is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jedit posted:

Rodney just put up the Watch It Played video for Wrath of the Lich King. He quite likes it.

I'll chase that down, thanks.

I'm interested in the idea but hope that they're more than just a retheming. As in, does it really matter if these are microbes or barbarians or cultists or could I get the same experience by pretending real hard?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

nonathlon posted:

I'm interested in the idea but hope that they're more than just a retheming. As in, does it really matter if these are microbes or barbarians or cultists or could I get the same experience by pretending real hard?

I believe the games actually do a very good job of feeling different and thematic while still having the Pandemic bones, however I haven't played any of them besides some of the Legacy games to be sure.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

nonathlon posted:

Just as an example, the Fall of Rome pandemic has the barbarians spread along routes instead of popping up anywhere, you have to bring legions with you to fight them, and you roll combat dice. It’s fair to say they use the same system of shuffling cards back into the deck to create escalating tension, but these are fundamentally different games (except the Cthulhu one, I forget how that’s different)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triskelli posted:

Just as an example, the Fall of Rome pandemic has the barbarians spread along routes instead of popping up anywhere, you have to bring legions with you to fight them, and you roll combat dice. It’s fair to say they use the same system of shuffling cards back into the deck to create escalating tension, but these are fundamentally different games (except the Cthulhu one, I forget how that’s different)

I didn't find that the Cthulhu one was meaningfully different. You have little guys in cult robes instead of cubes and the map is structured a little differently, and there are a couple of different character interaction maguffins.

I gave an AAR on it after I played it a couple times a few years ago and all I remember is that my bottom line was "If you look at this as a Pandemic variant you'll probably wonder what the point is, but if you look at this as a stripped-down Arkham Horror which you can play in under an hour you'll be pleasantly surprised."

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Theme is important. Root is more palatable than COIN because cute animals and not directly reflecting real military conflicts. Probably a huge part of its success.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Getting together with a couple friends over the weekend to play a masked board game day. Gonna pull out Root and its expansions for the first time after getting it, was thinking of playing the moles, anything I should keep in mind with them?

Also hoping to get the Crew, maybe Arboretum, maybe another game. Man, I am pumped.

Also if I have the Crew, but want to get the Deep Sea one as well, is there any purpose in keeping the original or should I just make plans to sell it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah I'm exploring some new meetups this weekend as well. If they work out, I could be playing board games five days a week (but probably will give up the late starting Game Brain Game night instead). I realized I was spending a lot of money on games that were never getting to the table, so either I needed to sell them or find more opportunities to play them. I'll report back after the weekend.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am v bad at figuring out what games of mine I want to sell. Either I never get them to the table but might in the future, and would still want to, or they're a game that'd be really hard to find and so I'd feel bad getting rid of it (or is a kickstarter with shiny deluxe components) or it's a game that Im not super excited for, but I know that for example my partner's family would love to play it whenever I brought it over, so I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

Then there's, like, Eldritch Horror which is a ton of expansions that would be a giant pain to get together and figure out what is where.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

nordichammer posted:

You are the best.

I went to a Blitz event at a local shop with the Boltyn deck, I lost every game but aside from one super-competitively tuned deck I was still able to play ‘my’ game and actually kept pressure up on a few people before I would lose.

One person gave me a full box of about ~200 commons to help cover some deck building gaps, and the event organizer made sure I got a few goodies since I had just started playing. I had a lot of fun and it definitely scratched some different itches than M:TG used to.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Getting together with a couple friends over the weekend to play a masked board game day. Gonna pull out Root and its expansions for the first time after getting it, was thinking of playing the moles, anything I should keep in mind with them?

This is general advice for Root but make sure at least 1 other person plays someone with a need for area control to compete against you. Cats/Birds/Lizards. Drop the vagabonds for a better experience or play with them both if someone wants to run it.

For Moles in particular, if the other players let you get away with swaying and keeping most of your ministers you will probably win, so protect your buildings above all else. Tunnels are not buildings. To sway a minister you must reveal a certain number cards, and each of those cards needs to match a unique clearing which you have a piece in. You must have a crown on your board to sway, and you don't get them back when Price of Failure kicks in.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Morpheus posted:

Some of the most important Mole concepts happen by revealing cards instead of discarding them. Make sure you remember that or you will be down a bunch of cards. When you lose a minister their crown is gone forever instead of being returned to the board.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I am v bad at figuring out what games of mine I want to sell. Either I never get them to the table but might in the future, and would still want to, or they're a game that'd be really hard to find and so I'd feel bad getting rid of it (or is a kickstarter with shiny deluxe components) or it's a game that Im not super excited for, but I know that for example my partner's family would love to play it whenever I brought it over, so I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

Then there's, like, Eldritch Horror which is a ton of expansions that would be a giant pain to get together and figure out what is where.

I'm fortunate to live in Los Angeles CA where it's relatively easy to get rid of big games because there's enough people who can pick them up, either from a con or from a mutually agreeable place. I only have so much space I'm willing to give to games, I'm not a collector, I'm a player and if the game isn't getting played and has little chance to be played, out it goes. Certainly I have games that don't get played much but that fit a certain criteria. For example, Las Vegas is a game that is easy to explain and resonates with a lot of people both heavy game players and family players so it'll never leave, even if I haven't played it in a couple of years. On the other hand a game like Merchant's Cove where we've played it five-seven times and we've seen all there is to see will be sold off at the next con.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Jcam posted:

I went to a Blitz event at a local shop with the Boltyn deck, I lost every game but aside from one super-competitively tuned deck I was still able to play ‘my’ game and actually kept pressure up on a few people before I would lose.

One person gave me a full box of about ~200 commons to help cover some deck building gaps, and the event organizer made sure I got a few goodies since I had just started playing. I had a lot of fun and it definitely scratched some different itches than M:TG used to.

This would strictly be for kitchen table play. I am fine never playing another live card event for anything again due to the time commitment. Just heard good things about it, saw that decks were cheap when they were mentioned, and figured I would throw it on the pile of other CCG to try.

It's a curse to be so enthralled by CCGs when their business model sucks as a consumer.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

I'm fortunate to live in Los Angeles CA where it's relatively easy to get rid of big games because there's enough people who can pick them up, either from a con or from a mutually agreeable place. I only have so much space I'm willing to give to games, I'm not a collector, I'm a player and if the game isn't getting played and has little chance to be played, out it goes. Certainly I have games that don't get played much but that fit a certain criteria. For example, Las Vegas is a game that is easy to explain and resonates with a lot of people both heavy game players and family players so it'll never leave, even if I haven't played it in a couple of years. On the other hand a game like Merchant's Cove where we've played it five-seven times and we've seen all there is to see will be sold off at the next con.

I *might* hold off on that (although it's up to you) as the designers have said they're expanding it pretty shortly with the intent of adding more depth/complexity, as opposed to breadth/additional roles and games. I think it's very simple initially, but agree that it needs something more to make the core game more interesting and it seems the designers follow suit. That said, totally understand if you feel like you aren't interested in more Merchant's Cove, even if it winds up a deeper game down the line.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

I *might* hold off on that (although it's up to you) as the designers have said they're expanding it pretty shortly with the intent of adding more depth/complexity, as opposed to breadth/additional roles and games. I think it's very simple initially, but agree that it needs something more to make the core game more interesting and it seems the designers follow suit. That said, totally understand if you feel like you aren't interested in more Merchant's Cove, even if it winds up a deeper game down the line.

Thank you for the information, I hadn't heard that. Yes it seemed like all they wanted to do was add more choices and I honestly wonder how they are going to make the game deeper without destroying why people would want to play it in the first place. It's a 'play the game in front of you' type of game (instead of a planning style game where you think more of what will happen in the future) and those types of games tend to lack depth but I guess we'll see.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

The digital version of Concordia finally got a release date yesterday, it's set for next Tuesday the 28th for PC/mobile, with a Switch version later. Same developer as the Istanbul app, which I get a fair bit of use out of. It also supports cross platform play, which is always nice. https://youtu.be/kTgE7XkzaWU

Other game related, we just played the first case of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Baker Street Irregulars and had a blast, can't wait to dive into the rest. Still have not had a chance to try Imperium Classics since I picked it up a couple weeks ago, hopefully I'll sit down with it in the next few days. Has anyone played it yet?

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does anyone want a scan of the Unfathomable rules? FFG did something interesting and transitioned to technical manual style rules reference (but still have a dodgy learn to play of course). I know a lot of people are curious so I could scan it later if anyone wants.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone want a scan of the Unfathomable rules? FFG did something interesting and transitioned to technical manual style rules reference (but still have a dodgy learn to play of course). I know a lot of people are curious so I could scan it later if anyone wants.

If you get it post it. I love reading rules in general and I would love to read this one.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

nordichammer posted:

This would strictly be for kitchen table play. I am fine never playing another live card event for anything again due to the time commitment. Just heard good things about it, saw that decks were cheap when they were mentioned, and figured I would throw it on the pile of other CCG to try.

It's a curse to be so enthralled by CCGs when their business model sucks as a consumer.

The three new characters with Tales of Aria are all very fun and overall have a cool aesthetic and theme compared to the established stuff. All three are getting blitz decks that I think are supposed to be out this coming weekend with the official release of things, so maybe keep an eye out for them if any of those heroes pique your interest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

+1 to the Nisei decks for Netrunner. A few goons played some games at Gencon and convinced me to finally get those sets myself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jcam posted:

I just got into the game a couple of weeks ago by picking up the Boltyn and Levia decks. I'd say stay away from Levia in the beginning as it really feels like she really suffers the most without access to the actual card pool of Flesh & Blood, whereas Prism, Boltyn, and Chane all seem to at least demonstrate their basic game plan with the Blitz deck.

I want to add my 2c here, I haven't been to any actual events but play a bit with my friends who are all huge card game nerds. I think Levia's blitz deck is mostly workable out of the box but it does need a pretty solid understanding of the action economy and stuff to really make it work, it took me a few games before I got a win with it. The one deck/matchup I really want to call out/warn against is Prism vs Levia - most of Prism's that light illusionist attacks completely whiff if they're blocked with a Shadow card with 6+ attack, which is most of Levia's deck. It's nowhere near as dire as it sounds because Levia still needs to know when to pay to make an attack whiff, and sometimes Levia's going to be in a situation where they have to guess whether the attack damage or next turn's Blood Debt will hurt her more, but it's a weird complication to have to wrap your head around for new players.

One of my favorite things about F&B is that it has no qualms about leaning on three decades of card design, like, yeah there's a zone for "banished" cards but right there in the rulebook it calls it out as essentially just another discard pile with slightly different interaction verbs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I loved Netrunner from the moment I saw the promotional how to play video ("Welcome to the future. Welcome to Android: Netrunner") and talk about how good the revival is really makes me want to get it.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Rockman Reserve posted:

I want to add my 2c here, I haven't been to any actual events but play a bit with my friends who are all huge card game nerds. I think Levia's blitz deck is mostly workable out of the box but it does need a pretty solid understanding of the action economy and stuff to really make it work, it took me a few games before I got a win with it. The one deck/matchup I really want to call out/warn against is Prism vs Levia - most of Prism's that light illusionist attacks completely whiff if they're blocked with a Shadow card with 6+ attack, which is most of Levia's deck. It's nowhere near as dire as it sounds because Levia still needs to know when to pay to make an attack whiff, and sometimes Levia's going to be in a situation where they have to guess whether the attack damage or next turn's Blood Debt will hurt her more, but it's a weird complication to have to wrap your head around for new players.

Listen to this instead of what I said, I really don’t know much about F&B and was just offering advice based on some beginner’s impressions. Nice to see there are actually a few people on SA who play though.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/factorygames/status/1440759169242451972?s=19

Why would anyone think this was a good idea?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Viper915 posted:

The digital version of Concordia finally got a release date yesterday, it's set for next Thursday the 28th for PC/mobile, with a Switch version later. Same developer as the Istanbul app, which I get a fair bit of use out of. It also supports cross platform play, which is always nice. https://youtu.be/kTgE7XkzaWU

Heyyyy nice. I hope this is a good version of the game. Some of these can be hit and miss according to the reviews. I haven't played Istanbul on there so cannot vouch for the developers or not.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barbelith posted:

Why would anyone think this was a good idea?

Oh Stefan, which idiot signed off on that dumbass idea.
Doesn't he operate via 'Start new KS to help fund/fulfil the previous KS' as well?

Just checked the Hamburg/Amsterdam KS and they don't even have production photos yet, and are looking to fulfil next year.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/queengames/stefan-feld-city-collection-hamburg-and-amsterdam/posts/3247973

Double lol showing off something like this

and then having a wiiiiiideee box for Marakesh. Will it fit on your shelf in line with the others? Who knows!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

nisei is very good but i am genuinely concerned that everyone talking about it and liking it is going to lead to a lawyer parade sooner than later so instead i'm going to say NISEI is bad, Netrunner was bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I loved Netrunner from the moment I saw the promotional how to play video ("Welcome to the future. Welcome to Android: Netrunner") and talk about how good the revival is really makes me want to get it.

Netrunner remains one of the best card games ever made. Like i'm not going to lie it's had some balance issues but it bundles so much game into such a neat package.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rockman Reserve posted:

nisei is very good but i am genuinely concerned that everyone talking about it and liking it is going to lead to a lawyer parade sooner than later so instead i'm going to say NISEI is bad, Netrunner was bad.

That's why I bought all the cards while I could :shh: I love copyright law! It adds value! This boot tastes great! Do not look at the man behind the spoiler tag!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm interested!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The low-player-count market board for Eastern Empires doesn't sound terrible?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2729818/3-4-player-scenario-market-board-how-does-it-work

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SelenicMartian posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2729818/3-4-player-scenario-market-board-how-does-it-work

FYI, my friend was a play-tester for the market-board and had mixed at best feelings about it. It might shine with a different group or click for some but we're Civ vets and he was not happy with it. I think ultimately if you can't get at least 5 or more people together to play a game, you should think of trying something else.

EDIT: looks like Asmodee is being shuffled to someone for a cool couple billion

https://twitter.com/PodfatherGaming/status/1441016235723010050

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 23, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sure do hope I can still get a copy of 3D Catan for $500 AUD!

SelenicMartian posted:

As an FYI Eastern Empires just launched on KS.

Crossposting from the KS thread

Infinitum posted:

Want some Hobbyist Board Games? 'COURSE YA DO!

Eastern Empires just launched
Which can be combined with Western Empires
To form Megazord Empires for up to 18 players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peN_7t9U31A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBXSGZtS5E

I.. I might go all in..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MOD EDIT: a link was here, but now it's gone. Sorry! See the next few posts for why.

Unfathomable rulebook. Sorry about the rotation, the scanner app I used was fiddly.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 23, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ummm, gonna go ahead and call that :filez:. You can privately share poo poo, whatever, but please don't link it from the forums.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Sure do hope I can still get a copy of 3D Catan for $500 AUD!

As an FYI Eastern Empires just launched on KS.

Crossposting from the KS thread

I.. I might go all in..

The price on the bundle is actually shockingly good, all things considered. Add to that their outlandish promise of free shipping(!) and you've got yourself quite the deal...

The free shipping astounds me though as I thought that was one of the worst aspects of the KS process at the moment. In fact, I just received an email from a game I backed last year mentioning that their shipping costs have gone up dramatically and are gently asking for people to buy some extra promo stuff to help offset the increase in price. And unless I'm misremembering, did the Glory to Rome Black Box implode all because of promises related to shipping?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Hey board game thread! I just picked up Dune. (I’m sure it will get to the table, one of these years) The shut up sit down boys tell me it’s a great design but with quite a few awkward elements, and that what the new edition needed was a “directors cut” ruleset of some sort. Is there a generally agreed-upon set of house rules somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FulsomFrank posted:

The price on the bundle is actually shockingly good, all things considered. Add to that their outlandish promise of free shipping(!) and you've got yourself quite the deal...

The free shipping astounds me though as I thought that was one of the worst aspects of the KS process at the moment. In fact, I just received an email from a game I backed last year mentioning that their shipping costs have gone up dramatically and are gently asking for people to buy some extra promo stuff to help offset the increase in price. And unless I'm misremembering, did the Glory to Rome Black Box implode all because of promises related to shipping?

The "free shipping" is 60 euros bundled into the price.