Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

It's because they made a change to Teams where it doesn't deliver messages to you if you are in "away" status. If you just sit with the laptop open beside you you will miss stuff unless you have some way of keeping it "alive". Simple as that.

Lol, what version is that because I have Teams set to away all day and still get bombarded by people's dumb bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Spatule posted:

You need *something* to manage your customers, and there are CRMs that are like 20$ a month and can generate quotes, do inventory management, remind you of tasks etc. Sure, you can do all that with gmail and excel, but it's gonna be extra work.

yeah im finding the $20-$100 month ones are just fine, its the next tier up that seems to be overdoing it, but they seem to market so aggressively towards those clients they know are on the borderline.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lol, what version is that because I have Teams set to away all day and still get bombarded by people's dumb bullshit.

Teams does a lot of A B testing and pointless changes, which is fun in meetings when explaining how to do something and the process or button locations are different between the various participants.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TjyvTompa posted:

It's because they made a change to Teams where it doesn't deliver messages to you if you are in "away" status. If you just sit with the laptop open beside you you will miss stuff unless you have some way of keeping it "alive". Simple as that.

No, it’s not, it’s because of busybody micromanagers who pester their employees because if you’re not active at your laptop at all times, you are WASTING COMPANY MONEY

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
They really don't like when you tell them not to call you after hours because they're wasting your time.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My last manager would brag about "work ethic" and how he'd get emails at like 4 in the morning from his boss and would have to get up and take care of something.

Yo, that is absolutely toxic, unacceptable work culture and expectations. He kept telling us about these occurrences as if he expected everyone else to do the same thing. When your work IS your life, there is no "work/life" balance anymore. Some people have kids and social lives and spouses and obligations and daily life needs and sleep requirements and meals and like what in the gently caress

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I like my dog more than my job. He makes me get up early but he also gives me kisses, my boss just approves my timesheet.

Maybe if my boss gave out more kisses I'd answer emails after 4:30.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Today we found out that our accounts payable department never stopped sending the $850 a month subscription fee to a vendor that we stopped using in July of last year. :buddy:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Powered Descent posted:

Today we found out that our accounts payable department never stopped sending the $850 a month subscription fee to a vendor that we stopped using in July of last year. :buddy:

Man, I have a lot of these don't I?

My company once asked me to perform an audit of the number of accounts active on a larger account we had. For the most part, that company would (get this) trust the customer to just tell us how many accounts were active in our system and we charged per-account. "Yeah, we have 17." and that's what we'd charge for. Well, on this one company's account, I found over 600 unaccounted for active accounts using us. The money was just sitting there for god knows how long. I made up the documents with the proof, sent them to their sales rep at our company, he contacted them, and they were like "Oh yeah, that sounds about right." and just increased their monthly bill by thousands without blinking an eye. That was the first time at that company I got an award for exceptional service at an all-company meeting.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I’ve never been in a place like that but I imagine that it’s gotta be boomers that mostly think like that. That sounds like garbage.

I did however have a manager that promised waaaaay too much to his boss/other people about what our team could do and we busted our asses off to attempt to meet his insane timelines which meant waking up at 5 am and working until atleast 6-7 every day for weeks. Didnt help that we had offshore devs which also meant late night meetings as well.

He would force us in sink or swim situations while ducking meetings which meant that I was out on my own nearly all the time doing reviews and apologizing for poo poo that I shouldn’t have been. So if I didn’t pull insane hours to cobble together some nonsense, I probably would have been let go for not hitting milestones, which in hindsight was probably the move to make. That 15 months was so bad I developed a goddamn nicotine addiction

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That’s funny people were talking about reply all storms because yesterday we had the first one in like 3 years.

Somehow every email address in the company started being sent tickets by some software, which when someone replied to it, made a new ticket that was sent to everyone, so all these dummies going “stop replying this is spam!!!” just created more emails, and then of course there were people going “what is this” and then people respond to THAT email saying “don’t reply it’s spam” which made a new ticket email sent to everyone and it just went on for 30 minutes until like 200 emails had flooded in. Of course there were clowns going “anyone got any cool project cars for sale? nyuck” and poo poo just making it continue endlessly.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I just figured it'd look bad if I was away for six or seven hours a day (meaning absolutely no activity on my laptop). Nobody's gonna care if I show as away while I'm waiting for a backup/restore to finish or anything.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Powered Descent posted:

Lol there must be entire business models based off people forgetting to unsubscribe. My MegaCorp pays for our thousands of IT employees to have access to an online training service at probably $30 each a month. It's a good service but the team managing it is indifferent to letting users know they have access and many don't need it or have awareness it exists. Meanwhile non-IT depts often request access to train staff but are rebuffed as it's for IT only. If they had sense they'd review who in IT has taken any training in the last year and quietly cancel unused licenses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worked at a company where we paid for a license that cost $4,000 per user and then the authorized user to access it never logged in once and the global team that said they would upload all their data into the system didn't either.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

when WFH started i just installed what i needed to on my personal computer and i work on my PC. i guess that's pretty dumb of my company to let me do

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ben shapino posted:

when WFH started i just installed what i needed to on my personal computer and i work on my PC. i guess that's pretty dumb of my company to let me do

The one reason I would be against this is if you're work is not paying you for wear and tear on your home PC. Essentially you're having it on 8 hours a day it wouldn't normally be on so they should compensate you for that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Software licensing will always be a lark.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ben shapino posted:

If you have a data leak on a company PC it's the company's liability. If you have a data leak on your personal PC it's your liability.* So I guess it comes down to what your work entails.

* gross oversimplification but you get what I mean.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i loving hate this email. this reality loving sucks.

quote:

Subject: Cornhole Tournament Team Names

Good morning!
Many of the teams have come up with team names.
Do you have a name for your team?
Here are some suggestions that have been used in the past:
Pirates of the Cornibbean
Corn in the U.S.A.
The Courne Identity
A-maize-ing Tossers
Cream Corn
Ah Shucks!
So Corny
Shut Your Cornhole
Shucking Amazing
Me So Corny
Is it in yet?
In The Bag
The Last Bag Standing
Can’t Corn This
If you choose a name from this list, can you please choose an alternative in case the name has already been claimed by another team?
Thank you!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Chinatown posted:

It's Ah Shucks! op, hth

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gotta go with "Aw Shucky Ducky" for our dearly departed Herman Cain.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

yeah im finding the $20-$100 month ones are just fine, its the next tier up that seems to be overdoing it, but they seem to market so aggressively towards those clients they know are on the borderline.

MORE SIGNALS!

https://c3.ai/products/c3-ai-crm/

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Cornchug FTW!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Team name is “Cornholing Means Gay Anal Sex”

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Choose "Children of the Cornhole", OP.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Love when users demand replacement laptops because "This thing is so slow, there's no hope for it" but when pushed the only slowness they can demonstrate is that Outlook takes 10 seconds to send an email.

Also when I time it with a stopwatch so I can tell them it took 10 seconds because they'll inevitably claim it took a minute.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Go with names where the corn reference is only implied.

High Fructose
TP For My Bunghole
Paul Newman's Gonna Have My Legs Broke

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Bilbo Baggins, OP

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

Cornstars is what my wife uses for her company mandated Cornhole team name.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chinatown posted:

No Freak on a Leash? Disappointing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Love when users demand replacement laptops because "This thing is so slow, there's no hope for it" but when pushed the only slowness they can demonstrate is that Outlook takes 10 seconds to send an email.

Also when I time it with a stopwatch so I can tell them it took 10 seconds because they'll inevitably claim it took a minute.

I use Outlook.com for work, and it feels like they have added a delay to sending there in the last couple weeks. Presumably to allow a window of time to cancel sending if you notice a mistake or have second thoughts. I haven't used any version of local Outlook in a while, but I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that puts in a delay, either client or server side.

When I first noticed the delay I was mildly worried and/or annoyed, but now I kind of appreciate it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I use Outlook.com for work, and it feels like they have added a delay to sending there in the last couple weeks. Presumably to allow a window of time to cancel sending if you notice a mistake or have second thoughts. I haven't used any version of local Outlook in a while, but I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that puts in a delay, either client or server side.

When I first noticed the delay I was mildly worried and/or annoyed, but now I kind of appreciate it.

Nah, in our case it's because we have a coddled username who are getting migrated to the parent company's much stricter domain and now there's security software that likes to suck up as much CPU and RAM as possible so people are learning the hard way they can't leave they're computers on and running for a month with 20 applications running.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Nah, in our case it's because we have a coddled username who are getting migrated to the parent company's much stricter domain and now there's security software that likes to suck up as much CPU and RAM as possible so people are learning the hard way they can't leave they're computers on and running for a month with 20 applications running.

Ah, that would do it, too.

I've always been mostly in the shut down at night camp, outside of some places like work where the machines are so decrepit that boot times are measured in minutes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I like my dog more than my job. He makes me get up early but he also gives me kisses, my boss just approves my timesheet.

Maybe if my boss gave out more kisses I'd answer emails after 4:30.

I floated this with my employees and we decided against adopting this. I'm honestly pretty happy because I really wasn't looking forward to waking up to send the 4:30 emails.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's a ghost in our office that makes the rudest employee's computer run really slow all the time except when I look at it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That must be the same ghost that causes my inept coworker’s VPN to not work and take her a whole day of back and forth with IT to figure out that the ghost turned her caps lock on

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i have a workstation and a laptop, and my work's IT is telling me to surrender my laptop because i ignored the "it's time to refresh your pc!" emails earlier this year. the laptop is 2yrs old and still works fine. my manager told me to ask them to just extend the lease for another year. they told me to surrender the laptop and they'll give me a loaner for a year lol

welp going back to ignoring those emails

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol there must be entire business models based off people forgetting to unsubscribe.

AOL

AHH F/UGH posted:

Team name is “Cornholing Means Gay Anal Sex”

:hmmyes:

Zil posted:

Cornstars is what my wife uses for her company mandated Cornhole team name.

Even better

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol there must be entire business models based off people forgetting to unsubscribe.

AOL.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Powered Descent posted:

I was laid off from a job in February 2012. While I was there, their health insurance was through Blue Cross. I got another job that used United as their health insurance provider. In August 2014 I had a medical claim that involved an ambulance ride.

I got a letter from Blue Cross saying that they wouldn’t cover the ambulance. I didn’t expect them to because as far as I was aware they hadn’t insured me for over a year.

I called the HR guy at the previous workplace and asked him if they ever cancelled my coverage. He did a corporate “oh poo poo”.

I was let go with four other people, so it’s possible they were paying premiums for five terminated employees for a couple years.