Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

Why wouldn't you be on board with frictionless energy. Just think how efficient our systems would be.

But then I wouldn't be able to stand :saddowns:

Just slip-sliding' everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

I think the funniest part is that they've convinced themselves that buying land would be meaningful in the event of total societal collapse.

Because even though government and the economy have completely collapsed, this piece of paper from the before-times means you and your well-armed gang are going to have to find shelter elsewhere!

What do you think the guns and ammo are for, libtard?

Leans back in electric scooter. :smug:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

What do you think the guns and ammo are for, libtard?

Giving the raiders something to stock up on as they dump my corpse and plan their next conquest.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Guys check out my new Long Blade ETF, featuring Cold Steel and BUDK IPOs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why is nobody powering their bitcoin mining rig with bitcoin to create a perpetual value and energy device?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It really is the perfect energy source. You can use the copious amounts of waste bonus heat to warm your home while you mine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

SettingSun posted:

It really is the perfect energy source. You can use the copious amounts of waste bonus heat to warm your home while you mine.

You can even dry out strawberries!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

The stock market isn't coming back from this one. The smart money knows this. Bitcoin, force projection (firearms, martial arts training, exercise equipment, knives and longblades), gasoline and petroleum, water, and food are the only investments with a possibility of return today.

Behold, my investment portfolio!

*opens door to present overheating computers, guns, nunchaku, elliptical machines, daggers, katanas, jugs of gasoline and water, and canned beans.*

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Behold, my investment portfolio!

*opens door to present overheating computers, guns, nunchaku, elliptical machines, daggers, katanas, jugs of gasoline and water, and canned beans.*

Or as I like to call it, my Wrath IRA.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't know why but it especially bothers me that these doomers don't realize that cryptocurrency is going to be one of the first things to go away in this global apocalypse they're so excited about. But I guess if they understood how cryptocurrency actually worked they wouldn't be bad with money and buying it in the first place.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Bitcoin, Water, Machine guns: Behold my Wrath IRA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just noticed, but the "bitcoin is perfect frictionless energy generation" has a degree from MIT and a lot of other wild takes about what bitcoin is.

MIT is a safety school anyway.

https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1307029562321231873
https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1440661794884763648
https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1440402951323807755
https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1440014692001402881
https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1439734820993748995
https://twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine/status/1438080418658590721

In summary class, here is a list of things that "bitcoin is" according to Michael Saylor

- Bitcoin is pure digital energy.

- Bitcoin is frictionless transfer.

- Bitcoin is obeying the laws of thermodynamics.

- Bitcoin is digital property.

- Bitcoin is "the most universally desirable property in space and time."

- Bitcoin is a reflection of the human condition and the means to escape it.

- Bitcoin is "a swarm of cyber hornets serving the goddess of wisdom, feeding on the fire of truth, exponentially growing ever smarter, faster, and stronger behind a wall of encrypted energy."

- Bitcoin is triple accounting.

- Bitcoin is the new fiat standard.

- Bitcoin is a bank in cyberspace.

- Bitcoin is for personal defense.

- Bitcoin is a savings account that billions of people can share.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 23, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Imagine a perfectly spherical scam in a lawless void.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Imagine a perfectly spherical scam in a lawless void.

Bitcoin Wins Money - A Perfectly Spherical Scam in a Lawless Void

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
- Bitcoin is the thing that the IRS agent on the phone is demanding I buy and send to him right away or else they'll arrest me!!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I just noticed, but the "bitcoin is perfect frictionless energy generation" has a degree from MIT and a lot of other wild takes about what bitcoin is.

MIT is a safety school anyway.

FWIW, they probably graduate less true crazies than the school up the river.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

how to say that you don't know anything about accounting without saying you don't know anything about accounting

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Strong timecube vibes with this one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
At "triple entry accounting" I thought for sure it's a parody account... But no, dude has podcasts and poo poo. Jesus Christ.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

This must be a recent(-ish?) thing health insurance companies are doing whenever the codes come back indicating an injury that someone could be liable for.

Our daughter fell off her bike a few months ago and got a mild concussion, so we had an ER visit. 2 weeks ago we got a survey from our insurance company digging for info to see if it's possible we could sue the poo poo out of someone for it.

lmao just imagining one day this happens on our own property and our health insurance sues our homeowners insurance. I say lmao, but I'm not actually laughing because I feel like the day is coming where your insurance company forces you to sue yourself so that your OTHER insurance foots the bill...

They seem to send those out regardless of the codes. I thought it was odd when I got one after having hip surgery to correct an issue I've had since birth. I realized they're a blanket "we want someone else to pay" tool when I got one after having my gallbladder removed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Residency Evil posted:

FWIW, they probably graduate less true crazies than the school up the river.
Does MIT give legacy admissions to the sons of alums that donate a lot of money?

I think MIT just gets some cases of severe libertarian FYGM brain.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CannonFodder posted:

Does MIT give legacy admissions to the sons of alums that donate a lot of money?

I think MIT just gets some cases of severe libertarian FYGM brain.

Technically no legacy admissions, but...lol.

And yeah there's definitely a subset of libertarian FYGMness.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's also a lot of undiagnosed schizophrenia.

quote:

Bitcoin is "a swarm of cyber hornets serving the goddess of wisdom, feeding on the fire of truth, exponentially growing ever smarter, faster, and stronger behind a wall of encrypted energy."

Very strong TimeCube vibes from this one.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Michael Saylor is a huge fraud: https://cryptowhale.medium.com/heres-why-michael-saylor-is-bitcoin-s-ultimate-snake-oil-salesman-fa75b0691761

Oh, and was apparently found with enough cocaine and meth for not one, but seven felony charges back in 2004. MIght explain part of his weird energy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I was wrong, I guess it's very much Dennis Reynolds energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr8YI9xaRNw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

So I think I accidentally committed structuring.

I work as a bartender and had a shoebox of cash savings that I recently realized was unwise to keep unprotected. I went to the bank yesterday to deposit it. I did it in three transactions because I only wanted to bring in as much could fit in my pocket. (I had six hundred in singles.) The total deposit was 13,000 and I thought it was strange that they asked me to write down where I worked and what I did. The lady asked me why I didn't deposit it all at once and I explained I didn't want to bring in the whole shoebox and also thought it would be easier for them to not have to run the entire thing through the machine at one time. She informed that I had not made things easier.

This morning I looked it up and found out that deposits over ten grand are an issue and breaking it into smaller amounts seems even worse. The money isn't from anything illegal but is more than I would have fully reported on my next tax return.

Do I need to be worried?

quote:

quote:

You didn't admit that you broke up the deposits to avoid an IRS Form 8300. As long as you pay your taxes, there is no crime here.

I seriously doubt OP paid taxes on his shoebox of cash tips.

:qq:

quote:

The upsetting thing about the law is it was never indexed to inflation. $10,000 in 1970 is equivalent to about $70,000 now. They went from never reporting on vehicle transactions or even people who saved a whole year of cash tips. As inflation continues, more and more things will fall under that level.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The money isnt from anything illegal, attempted tax evasion is a long time American tradition

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he'll be fine. The AML algos probably won't even look at him twice.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The upsetting thing about the law is it was never indexed to inflation. $10,000 in 1970 is equivalent to about $70,000 now. They went from never reporting on vehicle transactions or even people who saved a whole year of cash tips. As inflation continues, more and more things will fall under that level.

it's not upsetting at all. changing it would only make it easier for the rich to loophole poo poo

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

- Bitcoin is pure digital energy.

- Bitcoin is frictionless transfer.

- Bitcoin is obeying the laws of thermodynamics.

- Bitcoin is digital property.

- Bitcoin is "the most universally desirable property in space and time."

- Bitcoin is a reflection of the human condition and the means to escape it.

- Bitcoin is "a swarm of cyber hornets serving the goddess of wisdom, feeding on the fire of truth, exponentially growing ever smarter, faster, and stronger behind a wall of encrypted energy."

- Bitcoin is triple accounting.

- Bitcoin is the new fiat standard.

- Bitcoin is a bank in cyberspace.

- Bitcoin is for personal defense.

- Bitcoin is a savings account that billions of people can share.

this is just timecube

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like "Bitcoin is a reflection of the human condition and the means to escape it." the most.

Plato is kicking himself he didn't think of crypto as a means of escaping the cave.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

William Bear posted:

I like "Bitcoin is a reflection of the human condition and the means to escape it." the most.

Plato is kicking himself he didn't think of crypto as a means of escaping the cave.

Socrates knew that it is actually suicide that is a reflection of the human condition and the means to escape it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58678907

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/puh90n/evergrande_fud_didnt_work_so_now_theyre_using/

quote:

They’re doing this poo poo over and over so the whales can buy more at a lower price. Don’t be fooled. Don’t panic. Crypto will never go away. It’s like banning the internet. Don’t let these dips scare you. DCA, HODL. Take some time away from the charts. Constantly watching charts can be stressful especially in times like this.

They’re doing this poo poo over and over so the whales can buy more at a lower price. Don’t be fooled. Don’t panic. Crypto will never go away. It’s like banning the internet. Don’t let these dips scare you. DCA, HODL. Take some time away from the charts. Constantly watching charts can be stressful especially in times like this.

China is destroying Evergrande and then banned all crypto transactions just to buy cheap crypto!!!!!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

https://old.reddit.com/r/fatFIRE/comments/pur94p/advice_for_33_yo_no_kids_no_wife_can_i_safely_buy/

quote:

Hi. first time, long time. This is a throwaway account.

I am 33 y/o male with no kids and no wife. I make exactly 100k a year and another 100k-ish in interest on my bitcoin (this amount varies based on the price of BTC, at 42k it's 112k). My NW swings a lot day to day since I am nearly 95% in BTC. As of today, my NW is 3.5M.

I've been very frugal and only have owned beater cars and drove them into the ground. I want to buy a luxury EV, thinking Taycan 4S or Model S Plaid.

Am I crazy for buying a 100-150k car or should this be something I shouldn't worry about. Thinking about a lease FWIW.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

China announces complete ban on cryptocurrencies

quote:

quote:

This is good for bitcoin

Is it??…

quote:

It's a joke, in the early days anything was "good for Bitcoin"

quote:

This IS good for bitcoin and I'm not joking. There is no future where bitcoin doesn't overtake fiat and other exchanges of value. That is hwy governments are clamping down on crypto. Because bitcoin is the inevitable conclusion, every progressive second is good for bitcoin because it is a second closer to the inevitable outcome.

quote:

China isn't stupid though. They are very tactful in their approach to power. My guess is that they weighed the cost of controlling bitcoin too unrealistic. Bitcoin is too well designed to prevent total ownership as time moves forward. It really is designed to be owned and operated by collective people. The only obstacle bitcoin faces today is educating the misled masses that their faith in money doesn't need to be put in the hands of their rulers.

quote:

quote:

There’s no gap left by crypto. The RMB is already digitalized as nearly all fiat currencies are.

When you live in the fiat matrix, no other money exists other than fiat.

quote:

quote:

The Chinese government knows they have corruption among their ranks so, even though it is somewhat centralized (owned by them), they could distribute the solution across the country to reduce the chance of someone gaining ultimate power.

Nailed it. Bitcoin is freedom made physical. That is why those who want to dominate hate it.

quote:

Pyramid schemes imply a few select people are gaining at the expense of all the people at the bottom.

I mean...that's basically true of all ownership. However the other difference is someone is defrauding everyone else in a pyramid scheme, when they know it's a scam. There's no such thing with Bitcoin, it basically follows the whitepaper and this is the result.

quote:

Read the whitepapers. Why would anyone create something with the power to liberate and use it to scam for a currency that will soon be valueless? It is mechanically impossible for bitcoin to be a scam.

quote:

quote:

To be pedantic, bitcoin is a speculative bubble, not a pyramid scheme. It's more akin to the South Sea Bubble than something like Amway or its more rapey cousin NXIVM

Regardless, both speculative bubbles and pyramid schemes have the same fatal flaw: since they don't produce anything of tangible value, if you don't bring in exponentially increasing buyers, the value will crash, so there's an incentive to further inflate the bubble by bringing in new buyers

Lol

You're Ignorant and proud

quote:

quote:

I feel this is going to slowly make it's way to other countries too. Either ban or highly regulate it. Here in Canada they actually regulate/tax it. Worse is you need to do all the legwork yourself and it's very complicated. Pretty much need a CPA or lawyer to figure it out.

They invented a new tax in the US for bitcoin to try and shut it down. It is called capital gains and you have to pay it just for buying and selling bitcoin. For some reason, fiat dollars don't get taxed for sitting in my savings account... wonder why.

quote:

quote:

Good, now everyone else do it too. Crypto is massively wasteful of energy and components without producing anything of value.

"Wasteful" is a subjective word. They are not wasteful of energy, if that's what you mean.

quote:

The sun "wastes" most of its energy by shooting it into space or the ocean. Guess you are against solar power too?

quote:

Let me ask you then: what are your hobbies?

If you play video games, that electricity is wasteful. If you read fiction, a tree had to be cut down to make that book.

quote:

The 7 types of bitcoin FUD spreaders:

1) The sadistic nihilists. They don’t care about what is true. They simply want to cause mayhem and emotional distraught because that is something they enjoy doing and gently caress everything else.

2) The scammers. They spread misinformation to get people to sell bitcoin, they want to accumulate more at low prices. If you sell bitcoin to them they view that as a victory. If you too stupid to fall for their scam, for their lies, in their view it means that you deserve it.

3) The useful idiots. The victims of propaganda. Those that believe everything they read in “mainstream” news. If some media conglomerate said that bitcoin is bad for the environment, the victim of propaganda will spread it. They tend to lack critical thinking skills and let those who position themselves as figures of authority decide for them how they should think and act. They are basically jump on the wagon, follow the trends conformists that have no strong conception of self. They hate the idea of personal freedom, and the responsibility that comes with it. They secretly desire to be enslaved, yet pretend otherwise.

4) The parasites. Too invested in the current system of mass exploitation to admit that they are wrong and that the world is changing.

5) The delusional. Those that drank the kool-aid, bought into the post-scarcity, “for the greater good”, star-trek pipe dream future. Future that doesn’t include individual freedom, money, property and certainly not bitcoin. For them the end justifies the means, so gently caress truth, gently caress history, gently caress human nature. They are ideologically driven to undermine bitcoin. Bitcoin success means the end of collectivist utopian bullshit societies and they know it.

6) The shitcoiners. Their obvious incentive is to promote their shitcoin and try to attack bitcoin anyway they can. The logic is simple, they want you to get rid of bitcoin and buy their shitcoin. If it means lying so be it. They don’t care about “green” blockchain or any of that nonsense. They just want those 100X-1000X gains. The tech mambo-jumbo is just a cover story to pump their bags.

7) The resentful. Those that believe that they missed the bitcoin boat. They probably heard about bitcoin when it was relatively cheap and foolishly dismissed it. Granted, it is hard to swallow your pride and admit that you were so colossally wrong about something as fundamental as money, so in order not to admit that they missed out on the opportunity of their lifetimes and take responsibility for their financial decisions they prefer to continue to spread FUD.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Bitcoin waste monument: The sun "wastes" its energy by shooting it into space. Guess you're against solar power too?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

laughing irl at ‘they invented capital gains taxes to control bitcoin’ and ‘but they don’t tax fiat currency for being in accounts’

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the capital gains thing has to be a troll.

Like a google search would make that obvious

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It’s just too perfect to be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
DysonSphereCoin, the perpetual miner for converting all solar energy to the infinite energy of crypto