Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1440829359921586179?s=20

edit: Peter Hotez said on an interview recently that he would recommend anyone older than 40 to get a booster, but it was not his decision to make... just sayin

Australia just announced pretty much the exact same thing except they said "It's not a booster, it's a planned part of the primary vaccination program" and of course the news media instantly ignored that and called them boosters anyway. :v:

quote:

The federal government's vaccine advisory body says some Australians might need a third dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to be best protected against the virus.

But the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisations (ATAGI) has not yet made a call on what shape a widespread booster program should take, if it is needed.

In a new statement, ATAGI says some Australians – particularly the severely immunocompromised – will likely need a third jab to get the full benefits of vaccination.

This would be part of their primary vaccination program, and not considered a "booster".

As for a separate booster program for the broader community, ATAGI is holding off on deciding for now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/atagi-puts-off-decision-covid-booster-vaccine-shots/100487154

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Goddamn, should've gotten a Pfizer booster when I was in states then the UK booster could've made me a super saiyan!

Welp, it's all on you double AZ to hold until boosters become available for general public :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh looks like the US doesn't want to call them boosters either

https://twitter.com/BLaw/status/1440776007510679557

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Booster implies the virus has gotten stronger which is bad, three planned however works well with the holy Trinity which will please the church.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greggster posted:

Booster implies the virus has gotten stronger which is bad, three planned however works well with the holy Trinity which will please the church.

The problem is if they've been measuring data and granting exemptions from restrictions based on people being "fully vaccinated" which would now mean 3 shots and not 2, I guess if people haven't gotten the booster yet they're relegated back to "partially vaxxed" status??

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My area keeps having shortages of these and similar products from Oscar Mayer and other companies. I usually have one for lunch, and it's annoying having them frequently out of stock.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's more effort than I can usually spare in my workday. And these help with portion control, so I don't end up eating an excessive amount of salami or something, which I have been known to do in the past.

A lot of my workday is pared down to simple routines, and I know it isn't the most cost-effective (or dignified) thing in the world, but little bits of convenience are worth it to me.

A food scale and a Tupperware container will cost you about $12 on Amazon.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Greggster posted:

Actually it has to be three because otherwise you'd only have 2/3 of the Mark of the Beast. That last shot takes you to 666.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So what's the messaging when we need a 4th shot in another 6 months from the 3rd shot? I mean that's pretty likely, no? Isn't Israel already planning on that?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What determined how long between shot 1 and shot 2 in the first place? That time varied wildly between countries, didn't it? Was it shown that a longer time between them had better results?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

What determined how long between shot 1 and shot 2 in the first place? That time varied wildly between countries, didn't it? Was it shown that a longer time between them had better results?

Supply mostly. Not everywhere was as lucky as the US with shot supplies. Back in the winter it was judged to be more critical getting as many people partial immunity as possible so the second shot was pushed off for weeks or months to save supt for first shots.

That's also why a bunch of places mixed shots. No Pfizer deliveries this week? Well you're getting Moderna for shot 2, etc...

That being said the longer interval may have had an effect, it's too early to say for sure though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One of our network engineers just got Covid AGAIN.

He hasn't been in the office for months though. He also claims he's vaccinated but he's also a chud who wants about mask and vaxx mandates so... I'm ever so slightly doubtful he's being 100% honest with us.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

So what's the messaging when we need a 4th shot in another 6 months from the 3rd shot? I mean that's pretty likely, no? Isn't Israel already planning on that?

Thank you for keeping me alive doctors?

I don’t care if I have to have a shot literally every week.

My parents didn’t raise no quitter like these Chuds.

Weaklings.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Thank you for keeping me alive doctors?

I don’t care if I have to have a shot literally every week.

My parents didn’t raise no quitter like these Chuds.

Weaklings.

I don't think I'd like weekly injections.

Now if they can administer the vaccine in suppository form....

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

A Strange Aeon posted:

The clinical trials try several dosage spacings, but some countries chose a sub-optimal 'recommended' spacing based on supply.

Ginette Reno posted:

It's got diminishing returns so who knows. Sooner or later they're going to have to optimise the recipe. It's entirely possible it ends up being a yearly booster like the flu. Alternatively I guess we cap out at a couple more boosters as delta infects everyone around the world, and hope that it does so fast enough before a mutation that negates the protection of the existing recipes pops up.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 23, 2021

naem
May 29, 2011

the last two years suggest that the dumbest possible thing is what will happen

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

naem posted:

the last two years suggest that the dumbest possible thing is what will happen

This.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hilarious to think that there's going to be like 5 years of death just slowly circling around the right wing in Florida and Texas, occasionally lashing out and hitting other places because MY FREEDOM until eventually a superstrain comes along and turns the US into The Road

Wait a minute that's not hilarious at all

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

Hilarious to think that there's going to be like 5 years of death just slowly circling around the right wing in Florida and Texas, occasionally lashing out and hitting other places because MY FREEDOM until eventually a superstrain comes along and turns the US into The Road

You know as much as I will definitely hate living in a dystopia it'd be cool to agree with everyone on something.

"poo poo SUCKS"
"Yes it does, friend"

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Are there any plans to formulate a delta-strain booster, or would it have to go through another year of clinical trials?

Seems kind of dumb to be even more immunized to a spike variant that isn't really circulating in the wild anymore.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I haven't had even a runny nose since this thing started (sometimes one side of my nose closes up for a bit, but I've read this is somewhat normal), I should get a prize

Bad sleep, anxiety and other problems yeah, but no Covid :sun:

Oh, unless I'm one of the asymptomatics, but honestly I've never left my house without a mask and a face shield and being paranoid, so :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scaevolus posted:

Are there any plans to formulate a delta-strain booster, or would it have to go through another year of clinical trials?

Seems kind of dumb to be even more immunized to a spike variant that isn't really circulating in the wild anymore.

I thought pfizer and moderna were trying to roll out a new delta specific booster by december this year but I know fuckall

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scaevolus posted:

The current crop of vaccines give a high degree of efficacy against delta, especially after a booster shot to top up your titers

Moderna is also trialling a combination covid/flu shot: https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-significant-advances-across-industry-leading

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

AHH F/UGH posted:

Wait a minute that's not hilarious at all

Lmao if you're worried about catching the Florida variant

https://www.palmcoastobserver.com/article/manny-diaz-wants-to-review-existing-non-covid-19-vaccine-mandates

And not Florida mumps measles and rubella

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

dk2m posted:

The problem is that I didn’t wear a mask for a long time because my friends, who are doctors and scientists mostly, actually yelled me with those talking points for trying to wear one. I didn’t really realize that it changed until I was scolded by a Target employee for not wearing one and I actually argued with them that they’re the irresponsible ones

This is all to say that we were and continue to be so ill prepared for any of this and the constant mixed messaging has brought us to the point now where masks as truck nuts is apparently our reality. Country is hosed.

To be honest that "do not use masks because they make it worse" was a fumble that also other countries which had nothing to do with Trump also stumbled through. Here it was the the politically appointed chucklefucks in our health department who overruled the actual professionals because "giving a mask mandate would be bad optics for the sitting government".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
IMO that all started with the WHO saying 'there is no evidence that masks prevent spread', which is true because there hadn't been time to gather that evidence yet. meanwhile we knew it was a respiratory virus and it was highly likely that mask-wearing would have an effect, but all the WHO was pushing was hand washing (IMO because that's something they wanted everyone to do anyways because it's generally good)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://twitter.com/KatherineJWu/status/1440401556768124934

The media is starting to push the "learn to live with it" narrative.

With evidence piling up that COVID tricks your immune system into attacking your brain and other organs, I question this lady's definition of "weathering".

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I look forward to a future where 20% of the population has brain damage and memory problems. I can't see anything bad happening with that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://twitter.com/KatherineJWu/status/1440401556768124934

The media is starting to push the "learn to live with it" narrative.

Realistically though, “live with it” is basically our only option at this point. We’re never going to hit vaccination rates that would actually wipe it out, so what is left to do?

The doctor sounds like a dipstick about “becoming more tolerant” though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

smoobles posted:

I look forward to a future where 20% of the population has brain damage and memory problems. I can't see anything bad happening with that.

Putting lead to gasoline and frying the ozone layer with hair products didn't have enough of an effect, so lets try this neat trick.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Crackbone posted:

Realistically though, “live with it” is basically our only option at this point. We’re never going to hit vaccination rates that would actually wipe it out, so what is left to do?

The doctor sounds like a dipstick about “becoming more tolerant” though.

My problem is that she's callously downplaying survivorship consequences and as a result encouraging the vaccinated to forego caution. I have trouble defining airborne brain damage as brief or mild.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You’re forgetting the lung scarring and permanent loss of senses

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

smoobles posted:

Something had to take the place of leaded paint and gasoline.

Edit: drat, beaten like a pair of lungs by COVID.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mozi posted:

IMO that all started with the WHO saying 'there is no evidence that masks prevent spread', which is true because there hadn't been time to gather that evidence yet. meanwhile we knew it was a respiratory virus and it was highly likely that mask-wearing would have an effect, but all the WHO was pushing was hand washing (IMO because that's something they wanted everyone to do anyways because it's generally good)

There was also that period of time where they were saying covid is droplet spread, not aerosol, so face shields were an acceptable alternative to a mask.

Personally I thought that was a highly dubious claim, and treated it as aerosol from just about the beginning. I'm no virologist, but I pay attention and the whole argument it was just droplet spread just seemed to go against common sense.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The US needs to eradicate the right-wing media bloc entirely. It will never happen, I know that, but that is what needs to happen if the US is going to move forward to a less COVID-19-infested state.
My own country is at over 90% of the over 16s vaccinated, and that it absolutely down to the fact that we have a robustly normal media array. I remember one time an ordinary Irish reporter interviewed GWB. I think it was Carol Coleman. She asked him the kind of hard, undodgeable questions that every single politician gets asked here, and she was lambasted by the US political establishment and US media for 'lack of respect for the office'.
Your news media is absolutely hosed from top to bottom

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember all those jokes about people holding covid parties so they could 'strengthen' their 'natural immunity'? Welp

https://twitter.com/CityNewsYEG/status/1440834817159884807

Stickman posted:

It's all somewhat moot because it all becomes correct usage if we just say COVID "will likely become endemic" instead of "is endemic". It just irks me that even folks working in health who should know better are misusing "endemic" to support nonsense "and therefore we need to stop doing X" arguments (and we're definitely in agreement there!) Same with the various MSM conflations of "endemic" with "not much of a problem on the population level" (endemic disease can have huge burdens) or "here to stay, nothing to be done" (there's a laundry list of formerly endemic diseases that have been effectively eliminated).

Yeah we're definitely on the same page here, they've latched onto this concept which has a very specific technical definition the same way they latched onto "herd immunity" and forced it into a nebulous position outside of its usual definition and started pumping out opinion pieces about "Maybe we're already at herd immunity???"
When it became super obvious that it wasn't going to pan out they needed to latch onto a new buzzphrase for their "Maybe if we just stopped all this stuff everything would be fine?" dumbshittery and settled on "endemic".

Half of them don't even realise it's an adjective and not a noun

Xenocides posted:

So I guess this means we can’t have sex with deer right? Is kissing okay? Or is it okay if we wear a mask.

Asking for myself.

Far be it from me to stand in the way of love in the time of coronavirus, you have my blessing :thumbsup:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There was also that period of time where they were saying covid is droplet spread, not aerosol, so face shields were an acceptable alternative to a mask.

Personally I thought that was a highly dubious claim, and treated it as aerosol from just about the beginning. I'm no virologist, but I pay attention and the whole argument it was just droplet spread just seemed to go against common sense.

Yes, and since it is a virus, so using masks, cleaning your hands, especially with sanitizer, using condom, and using visor/safety goggles/eyeglasses makes it more difficult for it to transfer whatever its preferred method of hopping around is.

Saying that "masks are making it worse so do not use anything before we say so" is offensive negligence but politics before public health, so gently caress the people.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pookah posted:

The US needs to eradicate the right-wing media bloc entirely. It will never happen, I know that, but that is what needs to happen if the US is going to move forward to a less COVID-19-infested state.
My own country is at over 90% of the over 16s vaccinated, and that it absolutely down to the fact that we have a robustly normal media array. I remember one time an ordinary Irish reporter interviewed GWB. I think it was Carol Coleman. She asked him the kind of hard, undodgeable questions that every single politician gets asked here, and she was lambasted by the US political establishment and US media for 'lack of respect for the office'.
Your news media is absolutely hosed from top to bottom

Yeah, this is the elephant in the room that tends to get ignored. Rupert Murdoch set up a propaganda machine that is continuing to run unchecked in the US, and Sinclair Broadcasting is feeding slightly more subtle propaganda through its network of "local" TV stations. There is all sorts of handwringing about social media, but the active brainwashing that has become endemic (heh) in our broadcast media is glossed over or ignored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

smoobles posted:

The US is already at least 60% brain damaged

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The US is already at least 60% brain damaged

I personally like all of the international polls where "sane" option gets at max 65% approval in the USA because the 35% is "that group".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We need to build more hallways

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1441105768829239310