Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, the shortage was caused by panic buying and hoarding in the first place. Toilet paper as a target was not a rational act, but rather a hysterical game of telephone which then spiralled out to affect everyone. China starts lockdowns due to covid -> Hong Kong residents panic buy toilet paper and other supplies which come from China -> people in the US and Australia see this in the news and rush out to buy toilet paper without really understanding why but they saw it on the news -> other people see these people buying a metric ton of toilet paper and feel like they should follow suit because there must be a reason for it -> things suck for months.

The amount of toilet paper used at homes increased by 40% practically overnight. Average purchases went up by 70% instead of by 40%. The increase was mostly people not making GBS threads on company property.

Retailers keep about 2 weeks of normal demand in stock, and supply chains are fairly lean due to corporate penny-pinching. There'd have been empty shelves even with only 140% normal demand. But it's way easier for companies to spread news stories blaming the unwashed masses than to say their ruthless cost-cutting is why you can't find toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

The amount of toilet paper used at homes increased by 40% practically overnight. Average purchases went up by 70% instead of by 40%. The increase was mostly people not making GBS threads on company property.

Retailers keep about 2 weeks of normal demand in stock, and supply chains are fairly lean due to corporate penny-pinching. There'd have been empty shelves even with only 140% normal demand. But it's way easier for companies to spread news stories blaming the unwashed masses than to say their ruthless cost-cutting is why you can't find toilet paper.

How did you arrive at a 40% increase in demand? What is your source on that? The source is your rear end, isn't it?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
regardless of increase in demand or whatever all it takes to have shortages is for everyone to decide to buy toilet paper at the same time, even if they don't end up buying more in the long term

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Lol the news reported that stores were being gutted and by the next day all of them were out of any toilet paper/tissues, dry foods, and cleaning supplies here. It was literally overnight

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When things started getting really bad last March I stocked up on toilet paper and bought a bidet right before the national shutdowns started and people started panic buying everything. I have never felt that an investment was so worth the money in my life as I have with this bidet. People I knew were scrambling to find toilet paper anywhere they could, some driving way the gently caress out to the chudlands across the cascades to find it, meanwhile I turn a knob and get my poop chute rinsed and clean, only needing a single washcloth wipe to dry off before tossing it in the laundry

I was king of poo poo mountain

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*calmly went to the asian grocery storess where everyone was masked up, bought everything needed with ease*

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chinatown posted:

*calmly went to the asian grocery storess where everyone was masked up, bought everything needed with ease*

Lmao yeah same. Both the local Asian and Middle Eastern grocery stores had tons of stuff.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

Shh don't give away that secret.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

HonorableTB posted:

I was king of poo poo mountain

You can’t be king of poo poo mountain if you have a squeaky clean rear end. And a washcloth?! I can’t trust this story at all.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Lmao yeah same. Both the local Asian and Middle Eastern grocery stores had tons of stuff.

We had a big Turkish market I used to shop regularly and they were almost always stocked full that got us through the first six months of the 20.

All supermarket slots were booked forever and there was chaos in the big chains.

They gave me the day and night cashiers numbers so I could message them ahead about what I need and they'd prep that and bring out to the loading exit. Tipped them £5 or £10 if it's a big order each time and they dropped a Turkish citrus cologne each time for free as hand sanitizer :shobon: (I mean, obviously being fr the same country helped but pretty sure they did the same with other people as well).

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Galewolf posted:

People couldn't find fukin flour or yeast for months lmao (well, in the plague island that is).

I bagged a 20kg flour (and a whole container of yeast) one day before UK announced first lockdown thanks to my brown person danger sense and made so many terrible breads for weeks!

Yeah, I remember that. I ordered some yeast and flour online to send to my parents because their local stores were all out. My wife also bought 50lb of flour a few months ago along with a bunch of pizza making accessories and then we find out that my daughter is allergic to wheat a couple of weeks later.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Lol the news reported that stores were being gutted and by the next day all of them were out of any toilet paper/tissues, dry foods, and cleaning supplies here. It was literally overnight

Canned chili never quite made a full comeback to the shelves here. Neither did Spam, but I think there might be a non-Covid reason for that, lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
spam is too expensive for what it is. IMO.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How did you arrive at a 40% increase in demand? What is your source on that? The source is your rear end, isn't it?

It's from Georgia Pacific (of Angel Soft and Quilted Northern). It's a modeling estimate so there's likely some wiggle room there, but I personally think it's pretty likely that increased consumer demand and stockpiling were comparable effects over March/April/May, not 99% stockpiling (where did you get that number?) Stockpiling is a shock effect after which demand stabilizes, while increased usage increases demand constantly while it's in effect. I would personally suspect that stock would have stabilized a lot quicker if stockpiling were the only issue but it's not really possible to tease apart the effects with publicly available information.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Everywhere here was out of TP for a while so I had to get nutty with some kitchen paper towels for a bit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That number came from Georgia-Pacific, the paper products company which makes Angelsoft and Quilted Northern for TP, and other brands like Brawny.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wasn't pulling 99% from a source, more from observation. It just rankles me when people seem to engage in weird apologetics and try to rationalize the mass hysteria of panic buying rather than acknowledge it as pathological social contagion.

People in Hong Kong had a reason to be concerned about toilet paper. People in Australia and the US didn't.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I'm at the Pizza Hut.

I'm a the vaccine clinic.

I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and vaccine clinic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/23/would-you-like-pfizer-with-that-new-zealanders-could-get-covid-jab-with-fast-food-fix

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CaptainSarcastic posted:

People in Hong Kong had a reason to be concerned about toilet paper. People in Australia and the US didn't.

People in Australia didn't know that. Most had no idea where their toilet paper was produced and when the social media storm about toilet paper supply coming from China got underway, they took it at face value.

A lot of very basic stuff was in short supply which made it very easy to believe they needed to stockpile.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

People were (rightfully) shopping less often and many wanted to have stock on hand in the case of required quarantine/isolation. That snowballing together with a (probably) very real consumer shortage is a pretty far cry from "mass hysteria". That might have ultimately been the result as people were unsure when they might be able to buy TP again and some proportion took advantage of the situation before stores got it together to limit mass purchases, but it's unlikely there would have been shortages if those silly Americans just didn't act so irrationally. Even without the real shortfall in stock, in the absence of a rational distribution system that's really what you get from individual actors acting rationally.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Everywhere here was out of TP for a while so I had to get nutty with some kitchen paper towels for a bit

Now that we're talking about, I never saw any reports about what the shortage did to the sewer / folks' septic systems, but it couldn't have been pretty :P.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I have a few expat friends in E. Asia who were all freaking out in chats about covid pretty early on and so I bought some extra stuff that I would have used anyways in case there were shortages as well as masks/cleaning supplies and since the roni hadn't been detected in the states yet- my friends and family looked at me like I was an idiot. Then TP-ageddon happened and they were all hitting me up for tp rolls, cleaning wipes, and rice. lol.

Also pretty freaky to realize that most people just never think to prepare for emergencies or disruptions to supply chains.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

when covid started i was making GBS threads my pants literally multiple times a day, i was using all the extra toilet paper i bought up, weren't you guys??

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I thought we were supposed to eat it?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Tunicate posted:

The increase was mostly people not making GBS threads on company property.

No, it would be because more people were urinating at home.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lolie posted:

People in Australia didn't know that. Most had no idea where their toilet paper was produced and when the social media storm about toilet paper supply coming from China got underway, they took it at face value.

A lot of very basic stuff was in short supply which made it very easy to believe they needed to stockpile.

That does not contradict my central thesis.

Stores instituting quotas once it became clear that panic buying and hoarding was going on could have helped it from becoming the shitshow (heh) that it ended up being.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

So, uh, am I having a stroke or Florida just decided that kids don't need to quarantine after getting in contact with someone who is positive if they are asymptomatic (Parents will decide instead)?

Like, that can't be right, can it? Please say that's fake news. (Sorry if this is already discussed)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Florida gonna Florida.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ron Desantis is actively trying to kill people, yes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Florida's new SG is a blood-gargling psychopath who is a big proponent of the Swedish model (infect all the young people and "natural" immunity protects the people at risk). I.e. the thing that absolutely does not work at all and is utterly ridiculous as an alternative to vaccination and epidemic control.

E: Well, Swedish model minus the few control measures it had, the population willing to follow recommendations, and the universal healthcare.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 24, 2021

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The problem is if they've been measuring data and granting exemptions from restrictions based on people being "fully vaccinated" which would now mean 3 shots and not 2, I guess if people haven't gotten the booster yet they're relegated back to "partially vaxxed" status??

Ooh that's a really good question, I guess here in Sweden it would be fairly easy since we've got a pretty good way of booking appointments for vaccinations (I live in the capital though which has an app for most medical stuff so take this with a grain of salt) to fix that, not sure how it actually works (or perhaps doesn't work) in the US.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Actually it has to be three because otherwise you'd only have 2/3 of the Mark of the Beast. That last shot takes you to 666.

Ofcourse, right now people are only 444 which honestly looks just stupid.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Ron Desantis is actively trying to kill people, yes.

Goddamn, that's morbid as gently caress and legit scary if US starts to import that kind of thinking to impressionable idiots like BJ and his gang.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Galewolf posted:

Goddamn, that's morbid as gently caress and legit scary if US starts to import that kind of thinking to impressionable idiots like BJ and his gang.

Boris Johnson already flirted with the whole herd immunity strategy. It didn’t work so well.

America seems to be mostly unique in that a large portion of the population is eagerly doubling down on a non-working strategy as it continues to not work.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

There was a big hurf durf about "pingdemic" where people got told to isolate by the NHS app complaining about it en masse so they tweaked the "sensitivity" settings of the track and trace app.

I wouldn't count plague island out yet on doubling down on stupidity.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/americas/covid-vaccine-assault-nurse-canada-trnd/index.html

Man punches nurse in the face multiple times after his wife is vaccinated for Covid

quote:

Police are looking for a man in Canada they say punched a nurse in the face multiple times, knocking her to the ground after she administered a Covid-19 vaccine to his wife without his permission.

On Monday, around 9:15 a.m., a man walked into a Brunet Pharmacy in Sherbrooke, a city in southern Quebec, and accused a nurse in her 40s, who police have not named, of vaccinating his wife, Sherbrooke Police spokesman Martin Carrier told CNN.
"Right at the beginning, the suspect was very angry, very aggressive, he asked the nurse why she vaccinated his wife without approval, without his consent," Carrier said. "And he punched her right in the face multiple times so the nurse didn't have the time to defend or explain herself ... and she fell to the ground and the suspect left running out of the drugstore."
There are no laws in Canada that say individuals need their spouses' permission to get vaccinated, and it is unclear if his wife had given consent.

loving Canadian ninja nurses

Seems he follows the religious 'My Wife, My Property' code of conduct.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wasn't pulling 99% from a source, more from observation. It just rankles me when people seem to engage in weird apologetics and try to rationalize the mass hysteria of panic buying rather than acknowledge it as pathological social contagion.

Literally all of the other posters in the thread are acknowledging that there was widespread irrational panic buying. In the US a demand-induced shortage led to a much larger panic-induced shortage. No one is rationalizing the mass hysteria of panic buying

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We're about 2 weeks from reaching the first of our vaccination targets for restrictions to start being lifted. The government is trying to avoid any "freedom day" type messaging, so it will be interesting to see what narrative the media pushes as we get closer to the trigger point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The problem is if they've been measuring data and granting exemptions from restrictions based on people being "fully vaccinated" which would now mean 3 shots and not 2, I guess if people haven't gotten the booster yet they're relegated back to "partially vaxxed" status??

That's what Israel did with their booster program; if you're eligible for the booster then you're only considered "fully vaccinated" once you've gotten it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Galewolf posted:

So, uh, am I having a stroke or Florida just decided that kids don't need to quarantine after getting in contact with someone who is positive if they are asymptomatic (Parents will decide instead)?

Like, that can't be right, can it? Please say that's fake news. (Sorry if this is already discussed)

Isn't the governor bankrolled by the manufacturer of regeneron, which the state is paying for to anyone who wants it?

Everyone in Florida who gets sick and takes that drug makes his donors wealthier, so it's in his best interest to get everyone in Florida sick.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OgNar posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/americas/covid-vaccine-assault-nurse-canada-trnd/index.html

Man punches nurse in the face multiple times after his wife is vaccinated for Covid

loving Canadian ninja nurses

Seems he follows the religious 'My Wife, My Property' code of conduct.

loving Christ. Violently protecting my wife's right to bodily autonomy, which I control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah people in Australia were panic buying kitchen paper towels when the supermarkets ran out of TP. They were also stealing toilet paper and hand sanitizer from truckstop restrooms and hospitals and anywhere else they could find it

E: there were also insane rumours of "busloads of Asians" being driven out to regional areas to swarm their supermarkets and buy up all their toilet paper (which of course turned out to be false), it was really nuts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/are-busloads-of-shoppers-really-stripping-australias-regional-supermarkets-bare

Home Affairs minister Peter Dutton vowed to "come down like a ton of bricks" on the "possible crime syndicates" who were raiding supermarkets and snatching essential supplies out of the hands of good honest hardworking Australians and possibly shipping them off overseas for profit (even though there was zero evidence that anything like this was happening at all), things got REAL DUMB
https://www.2gb.com/im-gonna-come-after-you-peter-dutton-issues-stark-warning-to-busload-hoarders/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 24, 2021