Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chaper-18-page-26

Bit of a flashback while we wait for 10 to roll over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
:stare:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to seeing how much convincing Tessa needs to buy the argument "Our mutual problem here is that your friend wasn't wheelchair'd the first time around."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how much convincing Tessa needs to buy the argument "Our mutual problem here is that your friend wasn't wheelchair'd the first time around."

"Your problem is, that she stole your power. I must kill her to set things right. You can feel strong again. No more doubt, no more people feeling petty for you. No more pain!"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"You want her off the streets so you don't lose your last friend, I want her off the streets because gently caress the police. We can work this out."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"Deep, deep down, you still believe that you aren't responsible for the deaths of your friends."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Your problem is not having your powers anymore, and mine is that I work too hard."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Goop powered evil Tess coming up.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
On one hand, Dark Mahou yes
on the other, No Tess Nooooo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Congratulations!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Man you are fast.

Disconcerting how little she is bothered by this. I guess her plans did not need Tessa to cooperate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, writing "clap" over and over again as mocking sarcastic applause is a goddamn power move.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

girl dick energy posted:

Honestly, writing "clap" over and over again as mocking sarcastic applause is a goddamn power move.

How fast does goops write, though. I'm imagining her taking 5 minutes slowly scrawling all the claps while Tessa gets more and more annoyed.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1439092085597085696

:unsmith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh, dear.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com//chapter-18-page-28

I doubt she's going to take that well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know it's serious when there's no alt text.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

50/50 on this being honest and this being a convenient lie meant to inflict maximum emotional pain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Twibbit posted:

50/50 on this being honest and this being a convenient lie meant to inflict maximum emotional pain.
I'd say it's more likely to be the latter, considering that her end goals have been suggested to be more about the goddess and the little rat-thing than any one specific girl. And there was no way killing the rest of Team Alchemical was some big long-term plot, they were a target of opportunity. That, or Goops deliberately seeded discord in the team, but them falling apart because of external sabotage instead of just who they were as people totally undercuts all their character development, positive AND negative, since then.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No way that's the truth, because Tessa saved Undine and Goops didn't do anything about it. If she wanted to kill Tessa, she would have ambushed her at the scene of her dying friends and finished the job (possibly after she transferred her power to save Undine). Goops has been shown throughout the comic to lie and insult the magical girls to try and manipulate them and demonstrate a surprisingly accurate knowledge of their psyche, this is definitely more of that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It does seem like she had a personal reason to go after Team Alchemical though based on what she says to Undine. That said, she definitely wasn't aiming to kill Tessa, but maybe driving her into depression/guilt over the deaths of her team while she wasn't there was part of the plan.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

You know it's serious when there's no alt text.

The alt text always disappears when goops is on screen. It's afraid of her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Undine went out of her way this chapter to remind us just how powerful Tessa was, specifically pointing out that she was stronger than Heartful Punch, who has her mother's power as well as her own and is the biggest name in the city.

Goops definitely wanted that power, and was willing to kill the rest of her team to get at it. Guess that didn't go according to plan.

She must still be able to get something out of Tessa, though, to be doing all this talking-through-the-window stuff. And I don't think she'd be gloating like this if she hadn't already got it, whatever it is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sirtommygunn posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice that before?

Here's Goops' first appearance: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-16

....and here's Goops distracting Undine in battle: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-31

...and yeah, no alt text at all! Nice catch!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

jng2058 posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice that before?

Here's Goops' first appearance: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-16

....and here's Goops distracting Undine in battle: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-31

...and yeah, no alt text at all! Nice catch!

It also get meta about it. Chapter 5 page 12 has alt text, but the two pages after that, in which Goops shows up, don't. Then, on page 15, the alt text is: "...Is that weirdo gone? Phew, I can talk again."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Twibbit posted:

Disconcerting how little she is bothered by this. I guess her plans did not need Tessa to cooperate.

Tenebrais posted:

She must still be able to get something out of Tessa, though, to be doing all this talking-through-the-window stuff. And I don't think she'd be gloating like this if she hadn't already got it, whatever it is.

I feel like it's more that, whatever Goops wants, making Tessa feel like poo poo is how she's going to get it.

She doesn't need to hide her intentions and make Tessa think that there's some sort of hope in working with this mysterious stranger. She knows Tessa is liable to blame herself and withdraw from people further, and is playing into that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

The sole exception being when Cassidy stabbed her as she died, which implies the attack did something

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh yeah… I forgot Cassidy actually got one in on her. Good for you Cass.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Given Anemone's habit of addressing the audience and omniscience, I always sort-of assumed the alt text was her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

Given Anemone's habit of addressing the audience and omniscience, I always sort-of assumed the alt text was her.
This theory has legs, I like it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

I feel like it's more that, whatever Goops wants, making Tessa feel like poo poo is how she's going to get it.

She doesn't need to hide her intentions and make Tessa think that there's some sort of hope in working with this mysterious stranger. She knows Tessa is liable to blame herself and withdraw from people further, and is playing into that.

Yeah this seems about right. Her entire thing seems to be about taking advantage of poo poo like this. She's messed with all the girls in very personal ways, this is just her latest knife to use at her disposal.

Especially since I think she kind of implied Undine in particular was someone she had beef with before; most likely that too was just goading her on purpose.

Julius CSAR posted:

Oh yeah… I forgot Cassidy actually got one in on her. Good for you Cass.
It's SUCh a good page https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-26
nothing but respect for Cass to see her time's up but still successfully striking Goops as she dies.

I'm real excited to see goops outside of text just to see if this damage still lasts

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mikl posted:

It also get meta about it. Chapter 5 page 12 has alt text, but the two pages after that, in which Goops shows up, don't. Then, on page 15, the alt text is: "...Is that weirdo gone? Phew, I can talk again."

Multiple times, after two pages of goops https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-32 has "I'm pretty sure she's still around, so I'm just gonna lie low for now."

Malpais Legate posted:

Usually it talks about Anemone in third person though.
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-1
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-interstitial-2
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-interstitial

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's just her being egotistical.

(The text is Mary, the teacher stuff is just a cover)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
You know I’ve always been interested in this panel where Goops does the “Wait, did you just take that literally?”

It’s some extremely petty mean girl poo poo. I wonder if goops was a magical girl who was such a bully and rear end in a top hat that she just became evil purple goo. Like that thing that kills Tasha Yarr

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/SleeplessDomain/status/1440893394264416256

Prediction: I don't think Tessa is going to the dark side so easily - "all my friends have been killed, I'm insane now, so I work for the murderer" is just too tired as an idea. Goops as immensely powerful and petty but maybe not very bright fits in with previous characterization.

Rather, she tells Goops to buzz off and now has the more interesting challenge of trying to communicate the existence of a threat that programmatically wipes itself from one's memory whenever one looks at the Outer Barrier or triggers any number of other autoforgetting traps. Paging the Mahou Antimemetics Division to the red telephone...?

e: mirror since site is down

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Widen out in that last panel and Tessa's other hand is just frantically scribbling in shorthand. I wonder if you can get cheap video cameras in this universe she could quietly aim at her window? Probably not, things seem pretty clunky on that front.

She's not dumb but she's in a very bad place right now (obliviously), I hope she doesn't get suckered but she might be. Hopefully she's smart enough to go 'yeah, sure' and get more information before going 'lol no changed my mind' but she's probably a bit too shattered to pull that off right now.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Wonder what happens if Vedika is talking to someone whilst they are being mindwhammied

hence this foreshadowing, I guess

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, this feels mean. Everyone is talking in spoilers now and I can't sate my curiosity, because the website is down.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Hiveworks' hosting has been down for a few hours now. Here's the page.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Goops can kill servers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am confused. Tessa mentioned a 'Forgetting Thing' that Goops told her about? When was this?