Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/09/08/air-quality-apps/

quote:

Wildfire smoke is everywhere now. Here are the best apps to check air quality in your area.
Bad air can make it unsafe to spend time outside but technology can help with air quality alerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This isn't a problem at all if you're already wearing your respirator for covid.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

GWBBQ posted:

Those same white rear end people are the ones who buy dog DNA tests because they have a burning need to know exactly what breed their dog is.

Yeah its for wine moms to have another list of dumb bullshit to rattle off at brunch. The breeds their rescue mutt is.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I used Wisdom Panel and it let me know this guy isn't susceptible to a bunch of different diseases so :shrug:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1440838033222242309?s=19

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i did the dog decoding in the mistaken belief that it would confirm my suspicion that the beast is infected with vampirism. after the fact i inquired with customer service and they were not helpful at all.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Maybe someone on her staff should have googled the Chinese flag

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

This thread is incredible:

https://twitter.com/repkord/status/1440908464625106946

this guys steering locked up up in the middle of the highway and there was no way to override he's just like "aw well, shucks, thats just owning a tesla"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

McPhearson posted:

I used Wisdom Panel and it let me know this guy isn't susceptible to a bunch of different diseases so :shrug:

Extremely high genetic risk of being stolen by dog-coveting thieves tho

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Blockade posted:

this guys steering locked up up in the middle of the highway and there was no way to override he's just like "aw well, shucks, thats just owning a tesla"

oh man wait to the NTSB gets ahold of this. the DO NOT fuvk around they will LITERALLY KILL Elon munsk!! Lol $TSLA is SO fucKKKed now!!!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The wind would scatter the tiny microchips, which could sense their surrounding environments and collect information. The scientists say they could potentially be use to monitor for contamination, surveil populations or even track diseases.

Hmm

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tiny microchips to monitor contamination, just blowing in the breeze

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm so excited for technology to save us

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
covering an area in microchips is a good way to make sure its contaminated

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh good it's the real life Larsen Localizer, can't imagine literally every piece of dust being part of the surveillance state ever being used for ill

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ususally when a journo makes a poo poo sandwich the bread is supposed to make you overlook the domestic spying poo poo loaf in the middle but this npr writer has hosed it up with the same contamination fantasy stated slight differently

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hope we run out of microchips faster than expected

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blockade posted:

Holy poo poo you can't shift into neutral if it's dead :psyduck:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Blockade posted:

https://twitter.com/repkord/status/1441027419146649610?s=20

"Tesla does a lot of things right."

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

it's okay, they naturally degrade into the environment to prevent e-waste (by dissolving into microplastics)!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qzqy1fcFpF1r0uzl6.mp4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo you can't shift into neutral if it's dead :psyduck:

Not quite as bad since it won't happen in motion, but there's no way to release the parking brake on my Honda if it has a dead battery. I really hope I never have to push it partway out of a parking space so the jumper cables can reach.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

:cursed:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Powered Descent posted:

Not quite as bad since it won't happen in motion, but there's no way to release the parking brake on my Honda if it has a dead battery. I really hope I never have to push it partway out of a parking space so the jumper cables can reach.

My Outback has an electric parking brake and I curse Subaru every goddamn time I reach for a nonexistent handle like I should have next to my manual shifter. But nOoOo, it's gotta be eLeCtRiC, because ReAsOnS.

I just leave it in first or reverse all the time anyhow.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Griz posted:

https://futurism.com/neoscope/home-genetics-test-dog-human

this was a human DNA test kit. the animal ones are even less regulated.

I wonder if there are some SNPs that are common between humans and dogs and the company just said "gently caress it, give a report with what we got". Though they don't seem to give the raw data results for download, so no way to check how broken the sequencing became. They might just fabricate everything for all we know.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

hell yeah, death

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh good it's the real life Larsen Localizer, can't imagine literally every piece of dust being part of the surveillance state ever being used for ill

What's a larsen localizer

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

are you talking about a polyasychronous larsen localizer or a non-polyasynchronic larsen localizer?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

larsen localizer deez nuts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a plot point in how many cyberpunk books?

Pretty sure it’s in The Diamond Age.
Xeriscaping rocks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Platystemon posted:

Xeriscaping rocks.

before or after the undersea tube sex orgy that lasts for decades

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tokin opposition posted:

before or after the undersea tube sex orgy that lasts for decades

Are there nonsexual orgies?

Anyway, the orgy both lasts for decades in narrative time and is sprinkled throughout the book, so the answer would have to be “during”.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Terms like "orgy of destruction" exist in nonsexual ways

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Platystemon posted:

at least one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WNbUpyano

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not much, what's larsen localizer with you?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

"other than that, mrs lincoln, how was the play?"

this is popular in areas where the hoa mandates green laws with zero excuses like "we live in a desert and there is no water to grow grass"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eh, better option during the dry season than wasting water every day to try to keep it green. It would suck to sit on or walk on barefoot since dead grass is ouchy, but a lot of lawns are purely decorative.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

"I know it's weird for my $80,000 car to shut itself off but I'm not really that surprised "

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

Anyway, the orgy both lasts for decades in narrative time and is sprinkled throughout the book, so the answer would have to be “during”.

the ones that are also a potluck and some brain genius brought a maximum bean taco spread are usually nonsexual unless everyone has enough willpower to not eat the delicious tacos

considering its a fuckin' orgy it's safe to assume nobody has any willpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

On the scale of disturbing things in A Deepness In The Sky it's pretty high up there, definitely beating out the 4 foot tall industrializing spiders.