Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

2 is the best for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I was talking it over the other day and out of the UK seasons I’ve seen (all of them except 9, which isn’t on YouTube anymore), the only one that I enjoyed a little less was 6. The contestants didn’t really gel with each other, which I think would have been fine otherwise, but Liza Tarbuck sitting in the middle and rarely looking like she wanted to be there really sucked the energy out. Hell, I even liked Russell Howard for the first time!

I’ve heard that 9 is kinda universally thought to be the worst because of Jo Brand (seems to want to be there even less) and David Baddiel (does a bad job leaning into being the season’s inept contestant), but I still want to watch it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I was talking it over the other day and out of the UK seasons I’ve seen (all of them except 9, which isn’t on YouTube anymore), the only one that I enjoyed a little less was 6. The contestants didn’t really gel with each other, which I think would have been fine otherwise, but Liza Tarbuck sitting in the middle and rarely looking like she wanted to be there really sucked the energy out. Hell, I even liked Russell Howard for the first time!

I’ve heard that 9 is kinda universally thought to be the worst because of Jo Brand (seems to want to be there even less) and David Baddiel (does a bad job leaning into being the season’s inept contestant), but I still want to watch it.

I actually really liked Liza Tarbuck. I liked how silly and chaotic she was willing to get in comparison to someone like Jo. Honestly, no matter the season, there was always one or more people to root for, which was nice. Even in 9, I really liked Rose, plus Katy was good and to a lesser extent, Ed. I would actually say 8 was probably my least favorite overall, and I kinda thought that was something I've heard a lot from others.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

Seven is probably the peak of Taskmaster so far.

+ season 2 of the NZ one. Which is all on Youtube free to watch if somehow ya'll missed it being discussed i this thread.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

9 is on YouTube, they just don't have a playlist for it for some reason. Here's episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNpnbiFlTk

(It's possible this might be a region thing - I can see it in Canada but it may be blocked in the UK?)

*edit* apparently they do have a playlist for it, although again, if you can't see it, it might be a regional thing.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 23, 2021

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
It's not available in the US at least.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, once they let one episode of season 11 or something through the region lock, just to mock me.

Maybe one day I'll figure out how VPNs work.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm a recent convert (like I started last week and have watched 4? eps of S11 so far) and I can't wait to watch in real time!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Just bought Alex Horne's book and some of the tasks are very clever, in this scavenger hunt style game.

Also, I just finished the Season 2 Taskmaster New Zealand which might be one of the best seasons of any taskmater, everybody came to play from the very first Prize Task

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
People have said that some of the clues in the book are "time-locked" somehow, you can't solve them yet. Think the idea is to give everyone a chance to receive their books before someone solves the whole thing. What I just wondered is whether any of the clues might be time-locked by being somewhere within Series 12? Given how far back the shooting starts, it seems possible that Alex could have incorporated something he knew was coming up while writing it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I like Jo Brand, and if it had been just her it would've been fine. Baddiel just sucks the fun out of everything though and having two people doing the grumpy old sod routine together was too much. Jo at least seemed to be in on the joke but Baddiel just couldn't give less of a gently caress and doesn't have a clue what's going on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

The absolute worst are some of the foreign versions that stunk. Everyone loves to poo poo on the US Taskmaster at every opportunity although I watched it and enjoyed Ron Funches performance.

As to OG TM, I think S10 is clearly the low point. Alex did a poor job creating the tasks, then covid badly effected the filming and the studio chemistry suffered.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The absolute worst are some of the foreign versions that stunk. Everyone loves to poo poo on the US Taskmaster at every opportunity although I watched it and enjoyed Ron Funches performance.

As to OG TM, I think S10 is clearly the low point. Alex did a poor job creating the tasks, then covid badly effected the filming and the studio chemistry suffered.

The first channel 4 season was just the worst of taskmaster, mostly because Alex Horne I think REALLY got tired of the loophole/lateral thinking comedy that year.

"Get the blank to the blank, your time starts now" has become "Get the blank to the blank, you may not touch the blank, you may not use a blank, you can't move the blank or the blank, your time starts now"

I also think the US version faultered because it was comedy central and they were given a half-hour not the full hour, they really wanted the prize task to be a "prize possession" task (which isn't in spirit of the show celebrating lateral thinking) and the rehashing of old tasks, but now with a pool in a hollywood hills house.

BUT AT THE SAME TIME- they aired the original on The CW and got cancelled after one episode. (TBF it was Season 8, so maybe a person saying "hello?" in a baby monitor wasn't really the best introduction compared to melon buffet)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I believe The CW thought they were getting Marvel's Taskmaster and didn't pay close attention. It's the only turn of events that make sense...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 23, 2021

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Taskmaster S12 - Not Another Marvel Series

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've been trying to find any S13 line-up leaks on twitter and all the MCU Blackwidow stuff is getting in the way...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm at work so spoiler free reaction to the new episode?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not directly related to Taskmaster, but I think people in this thread might be interested in The Cleaner - a new show starring Greg Davis. It's an episodic show based on a German comedy called Crime Scene Cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_xaJ7eKBLE

First episode guest stars Helena Carter. Second episode guest stars David Mitchell.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The Cleaner is very good.

Re the new series: censoring? *ding* that!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A strong start to the new season.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

thehustler posted:

The Cleaner is very good.

Re the new series: censoring? *ding* that!

I liked the Cleaner but episode 5 (? the one with the 'influencer') had a strong old man yells at cloud, 'just put down your phone and climb a tree kids' flavour to it.

Re Taskmaster, apparently the bleeps were a fuckup and the unbleeped should be on All4 tomorrow (according to some guy on reddit)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The youtube version isn't bleeped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah watching it now and came to the thread just to make sure I wasn’t going mad and ensure the bleeps are a new thing. Glad it’s a mistake though, it drives me mad in any show.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Often thought a lot of effort must go into picking the tasks to screen for the first episode, so that they teach the audience who these new contestants are, their basic strengths and weaknesses. A show that was less confident in their premise might contrive to use the interview tasks for that. Clearly did a good job of it here, everyone got a good showing. Greg also seems to be implying that these tasks were filmed early on, when the contestants were new - and there were bit that supported the idea; people not knowing where the lab is or where to find a ball.

Scoring spoiler: the contestants with 11 points going into the live task only had the slenderest chance of winning the episode, they needed to win and each other contestant get ranked exactly in reverse scoreboard order, to eek out a win 16-15-15-15-15.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A fantastic first episode of the series. Everyone has their owm prominent quirks that Greg can latch on to in various ways, and their approach to tasks is equally diverse so far.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait what this is out already

Seriously makes my day

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I am enjoying Greg vs Victoria already. I knew it’d be good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Had my reservations with Alan Davies and Victoria being on it.
But thats gone, its one of the best first episodes imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that was an incredibly strong opening. Seems like a good variety of demeanours and approaches to tasks. I’m pumped for more.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The biggest thing lacking is the outfits. I don't think anyone of this cohort has gone with something memorable.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Definitely hyped for this series, seems like every contestant is a good one and the tasks were great!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Seems they've decided that Canada doesn't get season 12 on youtube... is there an official way to watch it here or do I just have to use a VPN?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Had my reservations with Alan Davies and Victoria being on it.
But thats gone, its one of the best first episodes imo.

I feel like Alan may end up being a pretty strong contestant; he's a lot smarter than his comedic persona, but I think he's also the type to not over think a task and just take the straightforward path in those cases when the straightforward path is actually the best option (like he did with the balloon).

Victoria I think will be fun because the show has such a great way of really breaking down contestants that have a very dignified public persona and getting them to laugh at themselves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like Alan may end up being a pretty strong contestant; he's a lot smarter than his comedic persona, but I think he's also the type to not over think a task and just take the straightforward path in those cases when the straightforward path is actually the best option (like he did with the balloon).

Victoria I think will be fun because the show has such a great way of really breaking down contestants that have a very dignified public persona and getting them to laugh at themselves.

With the exception of David Badiel of course.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

If you watched the live, accidentally censored version of last night's episode, here's a chance to catch up on the foul language
https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1441426769819602944

Also, here's a bit of a personal TM project - a gift I made for my housemate's birthday

Derived from the following concept piece:
https://mobile.twitter.com/1000_Monsters/status/1422657911537508354

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Heavy_D posted:

Also, here's a bit of a personal TM project - a gift I made for my housemate's birthday

Amazing. Is that David Tennant?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
That's awesome. If you tweet it at Alex I bet you'd get retweeted. He likes to feature fan projects like that.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Is anybody else playing with the TASKMASTER app?

https://taskmaster.tv/app

It seems like a ton of pay-extra content like more tasks/more music/etc but it sounds like fun

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Amazing. Is that David Tennant?
Well spotted, it is a 10th Doctor under the sculpt - good facial resemblance, wearing a suit that's buttoned up high.

The costume needs a bit of tweaking, have to get rid of the tie, bring the shirt collar out, and change it into a double-breasted jacket. Also the hair needs to be a bit messier to really resemble James. Those changes were all done with modelling putty, here's a blurry scan of how it looked at that stage:

Then it was just a case of repainting everything into the correct colours

I would share it over twitter with Alex, but it just seems a bit much to register an account specifically to do that...

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The biggest thing lacking is the outfits. I don't think anyone of this cohort has gone with something memorable.

Alan's obscure Simpsons hoodie got a big reaction from me.