Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

theironjef posted:

With a title like "What if.. Thor was an only child" I admit I was sort of hoping for a Hela appearance or mention in some fashion. Probably just sort of in the same spot where Loki shows up here, just menacing for a second then "Oh no, she's already a friend, she's gonna be running the part of the party where goths hang out" or something.

I totally read the title as "What If Thor was only a child"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

I totally read the title as "What If Thor was only a child"

This is what I read lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That wasn't Brie Larsen or Rene Russo was it?

But that was a lot of fun. I liked all the cosmic characters showing up at the party. I always love when someone shoots energy of some sort at Carol and she just absorbs it.

EDIT: Also Darcy completely geeking out over Captain Marvel

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was very Looney Tunes when they zoomed out and it had France written on the map from overhead. Loved it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

It was very Looney Tunes when they zoomed out and it had France written on the map from overhead. Loved it.

That absolutely got a laugh out of me, yeah.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

And they got dropped right into Roadrunner country at one point, too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Need a Howard & Darcy show now, thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

Need a Howard & Darcy show now, thanks.

Oh my God, yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

That wasn't Brie Larsen or Rene Russo was it?
Yeah, those characters had replacement VAs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Natalie Portman brought so much more life to her character here than she ever did in the Thor movies. Gives me hope for Love and Thunder.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was totally charming, really funny, and a badly needed palate cleanser after some real downer episodes. I"m really glad they made this.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The solemnity and reverence as Frigga gives her little monologue about the Odinsleep followed immediately by WINE MOM SPA DAY TIME was incredible.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought that was kind of the weakest episode yet. Good gags here and there. It's funny that this Thor and Loki get along better than their prime counterparts. Seeing Howard was funny. Seeing Jane have more of a personality was a surprise. The ending though. The Vision shows up with an Ultron suit and all of the Infinity Stones? I can't even begin to understand the sequence of events that would lead to that. It makes no sense. It wasn't even like a big shocker, it just came from nowhere. Bizarre.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Doom Patrol is back today. First three episodes dropped but episode 1 is obviously the Covid delayed finale from last season so it might be worth your time to rewatch a couple of the last episode from season 2.

Otherwise it's good as expected. I just wish HBO Max would put it in 4k like the streaming dc thing did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I thought that was kind of the weakest episode yet. Good gags here and there. It's funny that this Thor and Loki get along better than their prime counterparts. Seeing Howard was funny. Seeing Jane have more of a personality was a surprise. The ending though. The Vision shows up with an Ultron suit and all of the Infinity Stones? I can't even begin to understand the sequence of events that would lead to that. It makes no sense. It wasn't even like a big shocker, it just came from nowhere. Bizarre.
I was going to try to piece this together, but without Loki working for Thanos, Avengers 1 never happens, so Loki's scepter, given to him by Thanos and containing the Mind Stone is never on Earth, so Tony and Bruce never create Ultron who doesn't create Vision and Avengers 2 never happens. I guess it's *possible* that Thanos could create Ultron for whatever reason, who then creates Vision who kills Ultron and Thanos but yeah that's a sequence of events I'm having a hard time seeing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

SonicRulez posted:

Age of Ultron Spoilers: The vision body was perfect body that Ultron had created for himself until the smart crew from the avengers coopted it with the mind gem. I'm just seeing this as a ripple from Thor not being a party boy instead of an Avenger

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

RevKrule posted:

Age of Ultron Spoilers: The vision body was perfect body that Ultron had created for himself until the smart crew from the avengers coopted it with the mind gem. I'm just seeing this as a ripple from Thor not being a party boy instead of an Avenger

So like do The Avengers exist in this timeline? SHIELD seems to only have Carol around. Surely they would've been deployed against the "alien invasion" if they were around, no? Like Endless Mike said, I can't figure when Ultron would be created in the first place.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

So like do The Avengers exist in this timeline? SHIELD seems to only have Carol around. Surely they would've been deployed against the "alien invasion" if they were around, no? Like Endless Mike said, I can't figure when Ultron would be created in the first place.

I assumed it's Ultron from another universe/episode. Would explain why the Watcher was surprised too, since he'd only been watching this one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assumed it's Ultron from another universe/episode. Would explain why the Watcher was surprised too, since he'd only been watching this one.

This makes way more sense.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's all definitely getting explained next week.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Uatu was momentarily surprised which besides that thing having nothing at all to do with this reality or any logical change Party Thor would bring about is a big clue that's something reality jumping. Combine that with Dark Strange begging Uatu to help and him saying 'I never get involved' (comic spoiler: bullshit) and most of the What If's endings sort of leaving the protagonists fate\story dangling you can kind of work out where this is going

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

SonicRulez posted:

It kinda has to be set during Iron Man, possibly during the time Tony is a hostage, because Tony Stark would not have missed partying with Party Thor, which means there would be no Avengers and as far as we know, no other Superheroes are active.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The trailers, especially the mid-season trailer makes it apparent that the finale episode is about representatives from all the prior episodes teaming up to take on the Ultrons. It looks to be Captain Carter, T'Challa Star-Lord, Murder Mystery Black Widow, Strange Supreme (who I guess summons the Marvel Zombies as cannon fodder), Killmonger Black Panther, Party Thor and Daughter-of-Thanos Gamora (from next week's episode). It looks to be loosely based on the What If: Age of Ultron miniseries.

The whole thing suggests to me that Pym failed to kill Black Widow in the serial killer episode. He probably over-shrunk her, not realizing that that's not the same thing as death. My guess is that she's going to eventually return to her world and will join the war against Loki by picking up Mjolnir. Black Widow wielding Mjolnir was coincidentally a major part of What If: Age of Ultron.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BooDooBoo posted:

It kinda has to be set during Iron Man, possibly during the time Tony is a hostage, because Tony Stark would not have missed partying with Party Thor, which means there would be no Avengers and as far as we know, no other Superheroes are active.

It's probably pretty inconsequential but there's nothing in particular separating Party Thor from taking place in the same What If... universe as Killmonger saves Stark. They'd be happening about the same time, there's no shared characters, and Stark could easily just be holed up in his building, not going to crazy parties because he's a little more security obsessed in that reality, building that Liberator drone for Killmonger, or even dead by his hand already.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Looks like Doom Patrol s3 is up. Fantastic so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is DP up on Crave? I didn't see it when I watched Lower Decks earlier.

I figure with the end of What If... showed an Ultron where the Avengers saved Widow rather than taking Dr Cho's cradle so the Vision was never created and so Ultron was able to defeat the Avengers using the vibranium body, and once that was done, he realized he had access to two more infinity stones so it wasn't hard for him to get the others. Its possible that he took the ones Thanos had, and that's why Gamora has taken up his armor and blade.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Is DP up on Crave? I didn't see it when I watched Lower Decks earlier.

I figure with the end of What If... showed an Ultron where the Avengers saved Widow rather than taking Dr Cho's cradle so the Vision was never created and so Ultron was able to defeat the Avengers using the vibranium body, and once that was done, he realized he had access to two more infinity stones so it wasn't hard for him to get the others. Its possible that he took the ones Thanos had, and that's why Gamora has taken up his armor and blade.

I think crave is a week behind

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

The trailers, especially the mid-season trailer makes it apparent that the finale episode is about representatives from all the prior episodes teaming up to take on the Ultrons. It looks to be Captain Carter, T'Challa Star-Lord, Murder Mystery Black Widow, Strange Supreme (who I guess summons the Marvel Zombies as cannon fodder), Killmonger Black Panther, Party Thor and Daughter-of-Thanos Gamora (from next week's episode). It looks to be loosely based on the What If: Age of Ultron miniseries.

The whole thing suggests to me that Pym failed to kill Black Widow in the serial killer episode. He probably over-shrunk her, not realizing that that's not the same thing as death. My guess is that she's going to eventually return to her world and will join the war against Loki by picking up Mjolnir. Black Widow wielding Mjolnir was coincidentally a major part of What If: Age of Ultron.

Fair play, we never did get to see if Widow was worthy or not in Age of Ultron.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Can anyone suggest any good reasons for why Darcy should not have been Beverly\ from day 1?

maybe it can be a middle name

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who is Beverly

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Beverly_Switzler_(Earth-616)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
idgi what does she have to do with jane foster or thor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

idgi what does she have to do with jane foster or thor

Dated Howard the Duck is the only connection I can suss, and Darcy didn't date Howard the Duck, just married him the same night she met him in a during a drunken bacchanalia.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i took the "from day 1" to mean back in the first Thor movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

i took the "from day 1" to mean back in the first Thor movie

So literally no commonality. I doubt Marvel Films thought there'd even be something like that brief Howard cameo post credits in Guardians when they were making Thor 1.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My main reasoning is that Darcy seems like a good character for getting into wacky random adventures (Across different "franchises" so far, even) which is a very Beverly trait.

But they probably don't want to pay the cost of a CG duck every time they put Cat Dennings in a thing, either

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say my only complaint about Thor Ragnorak was Kat Dennings wasn't in it.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1441813573152411662

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

If they are adapting the first arc I kind of hope they leave out 24 hours. Looks cool at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

If they are adapting the first arc I kind of hope they leave out 24 hours. Looks cool at least.

I just listened to the audio book and had forgotten how hosed up that was.