Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lobster shirt posted:

its a madness rune

it summons cars, so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why are the lanes on the bridge backwards

so that no one has to turn left, which is the most dangerous thing

poor car, turned left and exploded

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

better things...possible?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

some serious liberal brain here even in their wildest fantasies they have to compromise to seem "practical" but it's moronic unpractical nonsense?

i can't see myself taking a train from new york to LA but i definitely would from dc to chicago so why not connect the networks up??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
extremely felt

my 2-month study abroad in rome studying structural engineering while loving around was the happiest time in my entire life, and will in-all-likelihood remain so. just being able to walk everywhere (and there's so much stuff to see/do while on said walk) or hop on the a-line if you really needed to be somewhere quick owned so hard. i technically live in one of the more favorable "walkable / transit" cities in america and it still sucks rear end.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Cars support an insane amount of jobs, which I suppose is a part of the problem.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Man Musk posted:

Cars support an insane amount of jobs, which I suppose is a part of the problem.

owning a car dealership is the US equivalent to being a fuedal Baron and they will absolutely never surrender this power

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

all iths could be yours

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There's only one good car and it's Brum and he's real and strong, and my friend,

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mila kunis posted:

better things...possible?

Not on your side of the Atlantic, unfortunately

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Reading the crew old Russian romantic novels on the ferry ride home seems to go over well...

🤔

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Sep 24, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a lot of love for europe itt despite it being the birthplace of the automobile and extremely high volume builder of cars :thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

10 gallon hat for a 0 gallon brain

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

a lot of love for europe itt despite it being the birthplace of the automobile and extremely high volume builder of cars :thunk:

they were more successful at resisting the drive to destroy their towns and cities with parking and roads

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gay_crimes posted:

they were more successful at resisting the drive to destroy their towns and cities with parking and roads

walking to my job in hamburg to export ICEs around the globe :)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gay_crimes posted:

The Netherlands in particular was on track to surpass the US in deaths caused by automobiles a few decades back but then some environmentalists and people whose kids had been hit and killed by cars started a movement literally called "Stop Killing Children" to pressure the government to rebuild their cities with fewer cars, and it loving worked. The difference here is we openly do not care when children are killed

e: further reading https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

10 gallon hat for a 0 gallon brain

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

omg

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

The Netherlands in particular was on track to surpass the US in deaths caused by automobiles a few decades back but then some environmentalists and people whose kids had been hit and killed by cars started a movement literally called "Stop Killing Children" to pressure the government to rebuild their cities with fewer cars, and it loving worked. The difference here is we openly do not care when children are killed

e: further reading https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord

Well we got MADD for similar reasons, but being america we mostly just made it a pain to drink alcohol.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Polo-Rican posted:

"All Vehicles Matter" I post from behind the wheel of my chevy tahoe as I vaporize a dozen kindergartners crossing at a crosswalk I couldn't even see

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Does the bike drive itself around? Does the bike actually weigh 14lbs 15oz, and the rider is a 1oz bird??

Anyway my wife was hit by a bike going the wrong way down a one-way street in brooklyn because bikers are entitled shits that are complete oblivious exactly like car people. Hell cars are actually safer since if you are on the sidewalk you will never see a car coming toward you and expecting you to move.

From a few pages back but you live in NYC and somehow are more worried about the bikes than the cars. There's no helping this kind of poor judgement regarding the real threats in your environment. Shouldn't have to point out you're far more likely to get hurt by a car than a bike in the city, as if the non-stop automotive mayhem on any given street wasn't evidence enough.

This thread has got me paranoid about the exhaust fumes from the constant traffic outside my building, so thanks for that. Could those jury-rigged box fan+filter cube assemblies help, or is it futile?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

From a few pages back but you live in NYC and somehow are more worried about the bikes than the cars. There's no helping this kind of poor judgement regarding the real threats in your environment. Shouldn't have to point out you're far more likely to get hurt by a car than a bike in the city, as if the non-stop automotive mayhem on any given street wasn't evidence enough.

This thread has got me paranoid about the exhaust fumes from the constant traffic outside my building, so thanks for that. Could those jury-rigged box fan+filter cube assemblies help, or is it futile?

AFAIK you're not going to feasibly* escape ultrafine particles with anything but distance

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Sep 25, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Nocturtle posted:

lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

AFAIK you're not going to feasibly* escape ultrafine particles with anything but distance

Looked into it and MERV13+ filters will get most ultrafine particles (<100nm), though 14+ is better. Not sure if those will work with the duct-taped filter cubes teachers are currently using to try to make in-person learning safe. At least without causing a fire.

Alternatively wear your pandemic N95 at all times, it will catch most of them too. Fun!

Regarding living with endemic cars, have no idea how people bike on some of the city streets in what are laughably called bike lanes. Bicyclists on the sidewalks are mildly annoying sure, but tbh can understand why they're doing so vs the alternative.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/8ZoVBj0.mp4

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I bike where I please

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
No brakes or lights renders my bike non street legal making me at fault for any MVAs. So I just bike or hobble away from the scene. Silly motorists don't know the law and think they're at fault so they are happy to see me flee

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

If one wishes to become a bride, they must enter the belly of the Serpent in the Valley

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mila kunis posted:

some serious liberal brain here even in their wildest fantasies they have to compromise to seem "practical" but it's moronic unpractical nonsense?

i can't see myself taking a train from new york to LA but i definitely would from dc to chicago so why not connect the networks up??

When you don't have Comrade Xi level of leadership

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

reading about daylighting streams and salivating at all my citys streams turned bad unmaintainable streets

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don’t know why a Chicago to Philly route wouldn’t be the priority over Chicago to Minneapolis.

Granted, it isn’t even that the US needs a true nation wide network, but we can’t even get a single real line up and running. The longer we wait, the harder it is going to get as well.

It is also why the infrastructure bill is such a joke because it is only 569 billion of new spending over 8 years and there is barely any more transit or rail spending in it beyond the minimum.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what’s the point of high speed rail between cities if the cities have poo poo internal public transit?

the ne corridor already exists and only NY makes it easy to get to subway lines and get elsewhere. otherwise you roll into philly 30th st and then just take taxis or Ubers so you’re not preventing any city congestion

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We're pushing for both of those, so

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Just had a fat boomer in an old BMW M 5-series rev and honk at me for daring to slightly delay his Saturday afternoon recreational drive. Posting to reiterate that all cars must be destroyed and all unrepentant motorists sent to re-education camps.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
30th street connects to all the Philly regional rail and is half a block away from a subway line

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

reminder: it is legal to kill someone with your car https://sports.yahoo.com/driver-in-crash-that-killed-jets-coach-greg-knapp-will-not-be-charged-135022018.html

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1441041977815052296/photo/1

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I remember a Japanese guy I worked with getting a message from his parents that the parking space they had requested when he was born had been granted. He was 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001