Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I cant tell if this is an impression of Boris or Kieth or both.

There is no difference. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

BP is running out of petrol and diesel which is another sign that everything is fine.

Mad Max chasing tankers part by Tuesday.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol a bloke filling up jerry cans at the BP garage near my house now. Good stuff.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Stella Creasy's also got that GoFundMe running, so maybe she's lining up a run at the leadership.

I’m kinda surprised Dan Jarvis seems to have fallen off the Labour right radar. He didn’t give up his seat when he became mayor and I was under the impression he was going to go back to national politics.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

Skill Builder on YT has a few vids on heat pumps, the good & bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAKMAcmJFg

First comment on that video:

quote:

I live in Sweden and my house has a heat pump as do almost all houses here in the far North. Mine works down to about -15c below that I use electric radiators. My neighbour has one that will work down to -25c. The heat pump is not the problem. It's the type of housing that the UK has. Even new builds are not that well insulated. We have no gas but we have surplus electricity.
Now I'm no expert, but this sounds about right to me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Of course some car drivers will be less impacted by fuel shortages than others.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Of course some car drivers will be less impacted by fuel shortages than others.

I'd imagine you'd be panicking more about a CO2 shortage, less fire extinguishers that way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jaete posted:

First comment on that video:

It's absolutely this. British homes are poo poo at dealing with high temperatures or low temperatures, on the whole.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Well blow me down with a feather, who would have thought it? I can't believe the tory government would do such a thing! My faith in the system is dashed. Erm.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/23/emails-emerge-of-vip-route-for-uk-covid-test-contracts

quote:

Further evidence has emerged that the government operated a “VIP” fast-track process for favoured companies leading to accusations that ministers misled the public about billions of pounds of Covid-19 testing contracts.

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has previously denied operating any VIP process for companies referred by ministers for possible Covid contracts. In June, when it emerged that civil servants had passed on referrals labelled “fast track” from ministers, a government spokesperson said: “These claims are completely false – there was no high priority lane for testing suppliers. All offers of testing went through the same robust assurance checks and there was no separate ‘fast track process’.”

etc

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

What happened to people actually having ideas?

There's no market for it.

ThomasPaine posted:

tldr: I just want something to get behind and fight for and have even the smallest chance of winning.

Seriously though this is a really good post. Thanks for this.

Also (on Owen Jones):

feedmegin posted:

:shrug: apart from a brief wobble he was always pro-Corbyn, I generally think he's a good egg

Yeah this is basically my take. I don't 100% agree with him 100% of the time and there are certainly things he handles poorly but I think he's generally a good egg with genuinely good intentions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

one of my neighbours is building a summerhouse and it is an absolute abomination

Tell me your neighbour doesn't know what they're doing without telling me your neighbour doesn't know what hes doing.

The good news, its 100% going to fall down in about 3 years when the weather rots through the random bits of non marine plywood hes using as structural reinforcement since its certainly not built with proper framing timber.

The bad news, if hes building the easy bits like that I can assure you the electrics he runs into there by himself (Because no fuckin legit electrician will touch it) will torch the place and possibly the fence its right next to.

It could also subside given it looks like hes run a few courses of brick on the patio instead of putting it on proper footings.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

Also (on Owen Jones):

Yeah this is basically my take. I don't 100% agree with him 100% of the time and there are certainly things he handles poorly but I think he's generally a good egg with genuinely good intentions.

He's basically decent but like a lot of the Labour left is staggeringly naive & doesn't really seem to have the gut for a fight. Obviously doesn't deserve a fraction of the grief he gets from the absolute ghouls & psychos out there.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Knew I should have got a diesel so I could pootle around on vegetable oil for a bit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not well publicized, but many British petrol cars and bikes of a certain age will run better on alcohol with a splash of acetone than they will on petrol. Thank Harry Ricardo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yew shudnt vite fur Commie Corbyn becayse off the las5 tim in the 70#s when we had n9 bins collected and there wus rubbish in the streets!! An had to que for petrol rationing!!!!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's going to be very funny at the next election when labour run the world's most expensive campaign pointing out the fuel and food shortages etc and the tories just put out a 30 second ad saying 'jeremy corbyn though' and increase their majority, and by very funny I mean for fucks sake

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
And the ad will have Starmer nodding in agreement mouthing 'Yeah Jeremy'.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's not well publicized, but many British petrol cars and bikes of a certain age will run better on alcohol with a splash of acetone than they will on petrol. Thank Harry Ricardo.

how old are we talking here?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Convex posted:

Prince Andrew wouldn't be interested.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

that doesn't narrow it down by much mate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Definitely any engine that he touched in the 30s, but a lot of the 50s and 60s engine designs that he had anything to do with were low key alcohol burners. The only thing likely to go wrong is that the new 'suitable for unleaded' replacement fuel hoses aren't as resilient to alcohols as the originals. Triumph especially took on a lot of his design work in that era.

Ricardo was one of those "inventor with opinions/ideas that he clung to regardless of popularity or sanity", except in his case the unpopular ideas were "burning mineral wealth from the ground instead of distilling wealth from the soil will probably come back to bite us" and "we should love-bomb the West Indies for sugarcane instead of bomb-bombing Persia and Mesopotamia for crude oil" that seem pretty sane in retrospect.

He nearly managed to make some headway with a deal involving National Distillers and Wilson's first government well before the oil shocks of the 70s, which would have created a fuel blend that was far more ethanol than E10, but the oil companies hated it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEqqlqqf4Q

(also makes the Express articles about "my old car won't run on this E10 shite :mad:" pretty funny. your car's too new, there's your problem)

serious gaylord posted:

Starmer otoh probably adds it to his morning tea.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Things are going to have to get pretty desperate before I'm putting my booze in my car rather than me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just found this page that has some claimed recipes for 'racing spirits' Ricardo played around with, with the main aim to prevent pinking, which reminded me of another of his crazy unpopular opinions when he heard that America was adding organolead compounds to achieve the same effect, along the lines of "bloody hell, they'll poison us all."

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

jaete posted:

I'm Finnish and moving to Scotland years ago to study sure was a shock. The bulding regulations here in Finland are rather strickt, especially when it come to heating, ventilation and insulation. Pretty much nothing in the UK would pass an inspection here. Then again, even the cheapest council housing must be and is built to endure -20C temperatures, otherwise people would freeze to death by the thousands.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Definitely any engine that he touched in the 30s, but a lot of the 50s and 60s engine designs that he had anything to do with were low key alcohol burners. The only thing likely to go wrong is that the new 'suitable for unleaded' replacement fuel hoses aren't as resilient to alcohols as the originals. Triumph especially took on a lot of his design work in that era.

Ricardo was one of those "inventor with opinions/ideas that he clung to regardless of popularity or sanity", except in his case the unpopular ideas were "burning mineral wealth from the ground instead of distilling wealth from the soil will probably come back to bite us" and "we should love-bomb the West Indies for sugarcane instead of bomb-bombing Persia and Mesopotamia for crude oil" that seem pretty sane in retrospect.

He nearly managed to make some headway with a deal involving National Distillers and Wilson's first government well before the oil shocks of the 70s, which would have created a fuel blend that was far more ethanol than E10, but the oil companies hated it.

Well I suppose it's technically true pre-unit Triumph engines will run as well on random booze and twigs as they will on the finest petrol, in that in either case something else is going to detonate before you ever hit the bottom of the tank.

However technically any petrol-burning engine can run on 100% ethanol[1] or methanol, you just need to rejig the fueling and timing a bit; while technically alcohol is less susceptible to preignition and detonation than standard petrol, it's *much* more dependent on ambient temperature and humidity than dino juice, so you have to run it richer and/or with lower compression to be on the safe side - modern engines could probably run it much more safely with EFI and sensors allowing them to get much closer to the line.

However you would need to completely redesign a large number of components - any rubber and most plastic components would have to be replaced with stuff that doesn't dissolve in alcohol, like you say, but also you need to completely redesign the fuel tank because of how much more easily and quickly alcohol evaporates at high daytime temperatures - your fuel tank would have to be a pressure vessel with all the extra complexity for filling, pressure equalisation etc that that entails, and of course the much less fun failure modes (see below) - it's this, not any other consideration, that is the reason alcohol is just used effectively as a bulking agent in petrol instead of a fuel in its own right. Below 15% the existing vapour systems for petrol work just well enough - above that you run into the problems I mention, plus the fact that alcohol/petrol mixes are hygroscopic and can pull in enough moisture to start causing corrosion issues in the engine and exhaust if the engine is started and stopped frequently (unburnt fuel left behind in the fuel system and engine evaporates leaving the water behind).

The real problem is that you'd need to dedicate a truly spectacular amount of arable land to it. The US corn industry (not the most impartial source but gently caress going to the second page of Google) says 462 gallons of ethanol per acre, which sounds pretty high to me, but if we just stick with that, according to the RAC we used 16 billion litres of petrol in 2019 in the UK, which is 4,226,752,837 (US) gallons, needing 9,148,815 acres - in total we only have 23 million acres of arable land in the UK, so we'd need to dedicate almost half of our land just to corn, which is also very fertiliser-intensive.

Now biodiesel is a different matter - properly made it can be a drop-in replacement for conventional diesel and more importantly most biodiesel crops (in particular rapeseed) can be grown over winter and actually help improve the soil, but of course diesel is a loving nightmare for urban air quality and we should be moving away from that too.

[1] although you'd want an ethanol/petrol mix for safety - ethanol flames are invisible in sunlight and it burns without soot and hence smoke, leading to some hilarious but grisly accidents in Indycar when they were running 100% ethanol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7TdLeEGsQ

Ironically they used ethanol ostensibly for safety reasons - it evaporates quickly enough that being soaked in it and it being on fire is safer than with petrol, and because it mixes easily with water it can be extinguished with water (they use CO2 extinguishers in the cars and pits in case of lubrication oil fires, the last thing you need is confusion over which extinguisher to grab). However the main reason they used it was because they were getting a big kickback from corn farmers trying to get ethanol accepted as fuel for road cars.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

FiftySeven posted:

I got an email through from Bulb 2 days ago saying that my electricity usage in my shop was higher than their assumed usage from my old provider and therefore I owed them £450 and my monthly payments needed to go up by £300. Needless to say, that was absolutely ludicrous and when I checked, they hadn't had a meter reading from the so called smart meters in 3 months since it was installed and somehow came to the insane conclusion that I would have used 4 times the energy I actually had done when you look at my meter.

What the actual gently caress are they playing at with this poo poo? They didn't get a reading from their own equipment so they just make a random guess and charge according to that rather than contacting me and asking for me to check it?

Needless to say, I had to contact the bastards and got my payments reduced back down and my account re-debited back into credit, but I am pretty angry with them

Bulb are ridiculously short of cash for being a relatively large supplier. There's a non-zero chance that they're running an exercise to see how much cash they can gin up from re-estimating and billing people to help them over the short term shortages.

October is going to be a wild month for supplier insolvencies - the 31st is the Renewables Obligation late payment deadline, where suppliers that didn't buy enough Renewables Obligation Certificates have to make cash payments into a buy-out fund that can then get redistributed to those who did. If you're a small supplier that doesn't have the cash to buy the ROCs in advance, you end up with a nasty bill falling due.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol apparently ambulance drivers are quitting left right and centre to earn 30k more driving HGVs instead. Good job we're not in a health crisis or that would be a real bummer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

if ambulance drivers could drive artic lorries the whole time why werent they our picking up busloads of patients everytime?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Lol apparently ambulance drivers are quitting left right and centre to earn 30k more driving HGVs instead. Good job we're not in a health crisis or that would be a real bummer.

Same for busses here. They've had to reduce the timetable - half their drivers have quit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

You can see the point where he was told he'd be an MP if he shut the gently caress up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

but he never shut up?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Recommending Hothands hand and feet warmers before the prices shoot up. Probably not good for the environment as they're single use, but they heat up when exposed to air and stay warm for a good 8-10 hours. They do a decent job of keeping extremities warm if you have poor circulation, and putting them in bed or under blankets gets you toastier quicker.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm Finnish and moving to Scotland years ago to study sure was a shock. The bulding regulations here in Finland are rather strickt, especially when it come to heating, ventilation and insulation. Pretty much nothing in the UK would pass an inspection here. Then again, even the cheapest council housing must be and is built to endure -20C temperatures, otherwise people would freeze to death by the thousands.

People don't believe me when I say the biggest shock in visiting England was just how shoddy everything was.

The racism was even worse than expected, the food was about as expected, but why was everything built like poo poo?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

cos we did it ages ago before you even knew wtf you were doing

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife just asked me why energy companies kept going busy and why it wasn’t happening on the continent, and I was, thanks to this thread, able to give a comprehensive answer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

therattle posted:

My wife just asked me why energy companies kept going busy and why it wasn’t happening on the continent, and I was, thanks to this thread, able to give a comprehensive answer.

any other help you need with your wife?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ambulance drivers are just on normal car licenses though, I wouldn't have thought they'd be any more likely to quit to go get their HGV license than any other driver? Surely we should be more worried about a sudden loss of minicab and multi-drop delivery drivers, as those are both paid way less?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ambulance drivers are just on normal car licenses though, I wouldn't have thought they'd be any more likely to quit to go get their HGV license than any other driver? Surely we should be more worried about a sudden loss of minicab and multi-drop delivery drivers, as those are both paid way less?

nah ambulance drivers have better licenses than just normal.

Interestingly theyre changing our licenses soon, we'll be able to drive bigger trailers and stuff soon.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

nah ambulance drivers have better licenses than just normal.

Interestingly theyre changing our licenses soon, we'll be able to drive bigger trailers and stuff soon.

Weird, my mate's a paramedic and (although he's done IAM and specific on-job training to drive an ambulance) I'm fairly certain he's not done an LGV test. Maybe it varies between trusts or something, because unless they're over 3 tons you don't need a Cat C endorsement to drive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Tory MP:
"Crops are rotting in the fields and on the trees because there are no pickers and no drivers"

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1438236266760376325?s=20