Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I never really understood there being controversy over their Patreon. They use it for income, pay staff, and pay guests. They still have plenty of free content and deliver the promised bonus Patreon content. They don't claim poverty or plan to switch to a pay only model, or threaten to cancel if they don't get more subscribers. They aren't a charity or non-profit and have no obligation to divulge specifics and given the nature of obsessive fans that probably wouldn't be a good idea. Where's the problem?

Sean Clements of the Hollywood Handbook podcast and Mike “Mitch” Mitchell of the Doughboys food podcast are joking around with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I never really understood there being controversy over their Patreon. They use it for income, pay staff, and pay guests. They still have plenty of free content and deliver the promised bonus Patreon content. They don't claim poverty or plan to switch to a pay only model, or threaten to cancel if they don't get more subscribers. They aren't a charity or non-profit and have no obligation to divulge specifics and given the nature of obsessive fans that probably wouldn't be a good idea. Where's the problem?

lol you should google what that quote is from because there's a joke here you've missed

also congrats to the flagrant boys on also hiring the drop king

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I never really liked Hollywood handbook but I love the flagrant ones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm sure there are weirdos genuinely mad about it or whatever but whenever the patreon is brought up like that it's pretty much always just a general joke of 'ha ha you guys get paid a nice amount of money to eat burger king and go 'the fries...are gud!!!!' and not actual anger.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm sure there are weirdos genuinely mad about it or whatever but whenever the patreon is brought up like that it's pretty much always just a general joke of 'ha ha you guys get paid a nice amount of money to eat burger king and go 'the fries...are gud!!!!' and not actual anger.

especially when the person joking about it has a patreon that gets tens of thousands of dollars a month lol

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

These guys both have patreons. Doughboys hides their $ numbers, and it's a long running HH bit for the doughboys to reveal how much they make.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Reveal The Number

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Didn’t they hide it after the harmontown guy made a stink about it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Didn’t they hide it after the harmontown guy made a stink about it

he made a stink about it because they were hiding it iirc

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

he made a stink about it because they were hiding it iirc

Why is it anyone's business?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Imp of Nipples posted:

Why is it anyone's business?

I don’t think it is. It was a pretty cheap and pointless shot by Spencer imo. He took the tweet down I think so they must have hashed it out privately. Anyway it was years ago now

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t think it is. It was a pretty cheap and pointless shot by Spencer imo. He took the tweet down I think so they must have hashed it out privately. Anyway it was years ago now

Ah, thanks for the info.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Jack Allison also roasted Spencer on reddit about the issue

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Live At Five! posted:

Jack Allison also roasted Spencer on reddit about the issue

Jack Allison just loves to roast though.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Mr. Squishy posted:

Jack Allison just loves to roast though.

yeah, roasted potatoes!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Wow, Derek Waters is such an unpleasant guest, I had to turn it off after he made the "spoiled" "joke" that accidentally sounded so xenophobic that Wiger went dead silent and Mitch pinwheeled as hard as he could to paper over the discomfort. Only episode I've ever turned off other than the one with Esther what's her name who started talking about a bug in her food and then it turned out the bug fell out of her hair because she doesn't bathe.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Huh, I guess I didn't get that far or missed it. What'd he say?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How little does one have to bathe to have bugs move into your hair?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

WEH posted:

Huh, I guess I didn't get that far or missed it. What'd he say?

Wiger was talking about how the owner opened the chain using his parents money and he was like “sounds like that kid was spoiled, much like the food” or something. It was an awkwardly delivered joke but it didn’t strike me as xenophobic personally. Maybe I missed something

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I don't think he meant it xenophobic but I think it came out way more acid laced than he meant; listen to Mitch try to smooth it over. Too uncomfortable for me, that's all.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there is no way to interpret that as xenophobic

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is this like the twitter thing of making the most disingenuous interpretation of what was actually said in order to make up a guy to get mad at online? I'm not planning to listen to the ep til later.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I haven't listened to it yet but it sounds like he just made a kinda lame joke that didn't get a laugh? Not sure how the xenophobia comes in.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Is Derek Waters half drunk in this ep or is that just how he always is?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tacier posted:

i also wondered this, not in a haha kinda way but to explain the odd, uncomfortable energy

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
which will win? mitch's love for nintendo or his need to defend chris pratt's casting?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tacier posted:

was the drunk history guy half in the bag, I wonder

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

duomo posted:

which will win? mitch's love for nintendo or his need to defend chris pratt's casting?

"Hollywood" Mike Mitchell will never speak ill of a co-star, at least not in public (and especially not such a high profile one)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just listened to the ep and I'm baffled at the xenophobia take. I think some of the Drunk History guy's jokes weren't landing throughout the ep (and not because he was like trying to be an offensive edgelord or anything) and Nick and Mitch were being good hosts by juicing them up a bit. It certainly wasn't them nervously laughing and pivoting hard after a racist comment or whatever that poster was framing it as.

Just so no one else is gaslit, the conversation is literally Nick bringing up the chain's founder was a South Korean emigre who started his business as a junior in college after getting a loan from his mother. The guest then jokes that that makes sense since he's as spoiled as the food tasted. So I guess if you don't understand spoiled means rich/privileged or if your mind somehow automatically equates spoiled as a derogatory byword for South Koreans, I have no idea where you get xenophobia from that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/BDayBoysMitch/status/1441185016361340931?s=20

👀👀👀

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

drat Mitch is gonna play King Boo and get roasted by Bowser in the first 35 minutes

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Mitch being flustered in conversations aced him the King Boo audition.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Live-action Mitch is going to play Wario

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Narrator posted:

Live-action Mitch is going to play Wario

They’ll save a bunch of money on special effects when Wario gets stung by a bee and his head swells up

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
On behalf of all Koreans I say that we are not offended.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

drunk history guy wasn't xenophobic but he did suck. resorting to prop comedy mid-episode is a weak-rear end move.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was going to say that Doughboys has the highest strike rate with guests of anything i listen to but remembered I pruned my podcast subscriptions to mostly guest-free shows cause I got tired of clunker guests in general. just pick good guests. I’d rather have any random Quincy friend than this poo poo

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

drunk history guy wasn't xenophobic but he did suck. resorting to prop comedy mid-episode is a weak-rear end move.

To be fair the slide whistle did make me laugh. Made me want to get a slide whistle

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought Derek Waters sucked. I gave it 30 minutes before I shut it off. Idk it felt like he was nervous or something and the vibe was awkward as gently caress. Once he was like “let’s turn off cams and just talk” I was done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought he was fine