Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

About four hours of attempts, but radiant Absolute Radiance is down! A few more and I'm done with the hall of gods. I'll probably give bindings for the third and fourth pantheons a try after that, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to go through the fifth a bunch of times. Depends on how far away silksong is I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hobojim posted:

About four hours of attempts, but radiant Absolute Radiance is down! A few more and I'm done with the hall of gods.

jesus christ. that's gotta be one of the worst. what's even left? markoth?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You're allowed to play other games. It's ok.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

b_d posted:

jesus christ. that's gotta be one of the worst. what's even left? markoth?

Markoth, Zote, the nailsages and the pure vessel. Also Marmu, who I'm weirdly terrible at. Radiance was definitely the hardest yet, with lost kin probably second worst.

Serephina posted:

I've been filling the fighting game void with hollow knight randomizer lately because of a work related wrist injury, and I used to play a lot of fighting games. I miss them. 😢

Grinding radiant bosses feel like training mode, it's fun to zone out and hammer away.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Serephina posted:

for me as well there was a good month or so where the only game i could play was hollow knight. this was just about a year ago. i had put it down for a long time earlier thinking the pantheons were beyond me but something inspired me to give them a go. after a solid month or so of playing through it again, trying out randomizers, and attacking the pantheons, i finally narrowly beat pantheon 5. i was pretty burned out and haven't touched the game again since.

Hobojim posted:

I've been filling the fighting game void with hollow knight randomizer lately because of a work related wrist injury, and I used to play a lot of fighting games. I miss them. 😢

drat that sucks, i hope you can play them again sooner or later

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

b_d posted:

for me as well there was a good month or so where the only game i could play was hollow knight. this was just about a year ago. i had put it down for a long time earlier thinking the pantheons were beyond me but something inspired me to give them a go. after a solid month or so of playing through it again, trying out randomizers, and attacking the pantheons, i finally narrowly beat pantheon 5. i was pretty burned out and haven't touched the game again since.

The randomizer has been keeping me sufficiently entertained, adding more and more ridiculous things to randomize. I'm surprisingly good at beating bosses like false knight and brooding mawlek without getting hit by just pogoing now because randomizing nail directions and starting at one mask is a lot of fun.

quote:

Thanks! As long as I'm back to normal by February for KoF 15 I'll be content. It's nothing serious or permanent, but I keep reinjuring it at work so I'm trying to be careful.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hobojim posted:

Unrelated, but did you ever fix your dash button not working periodically? I had the same problem and posted a fix in the LP thread, but a few videos later you said you were still having issues.

Turns out if I unplug my controller and plug it back in after booting Hollow Knight I don't get the problem.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

All radiant bosses down, all bindings done for pantheons 1-4, just finished the first binding for pantheon 5. This is going to be a grind.

I started with soul binding, charm binding probably won't be THAT bad (even though it makes collector a bit more irritating), nail might be a bit rough, but masks is going to be hard. Having only 6 health is going to make NKG and absolute radiance really stressful.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You’re crazy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
personally i just settled for writing fanfiction

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I take it back, charm binding absolute radiance is really fuckin hard

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Well, I'm doing this. The Pantheon of Hallownest can't be that hard right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwbEzEdjGM

This guy's channel is so awesome, I feel like I learn a lot

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwbEzEdjGM

This guy's channel is so awesome, I feel like I learn a lot

That was very cool. I look forward to his take on Silksong’s music in 12 years.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Geforce Now may have leaked February 1st as a Silksong release date, and there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow...

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 22, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t do this to me my heart can’t take it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HMS Beagle posted:

Geforce Now may have leaked February 1st as a Silksong release date, and there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow...

:allears:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I did it earlier this week. I defeated the Pantheon of Hallownest. I had made it to Absolute Radiance on six straight runs but choked everytime. I swapped my charms from Soul Shaman to Quick Focus for the last two fights. Ended up clearing it right after that.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I don't really believe it, but imagine if Elden Ring and Silksong came out within almost a week of each other.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

DTaeKim posted:

I did it earlier this week. I defeated the Pantheon of Hallownest. I had made it to Absolute Radiance on six straight runs but choked everytime. I swapped my charms from Soul Shaman to Quick Focus for the last two fights. Ended up clearing it right after that.

Congrats! It's a pretty big achievement.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

HMS Beagle posted:

I don't really believe it, but imagine if Elden Ring and Silksong came out within almost a week of each other.

LMAO Silksong is probably the only game that could tear me away from my PS5 to play my Switch

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonna go ahead and get fully hyped for tomorrow, there's no way this could go wrong!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting FEB1//SILK knuckle tats to celebrate

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm doing my first run of hollow knight since I had first tried it and hated it, and I wanted to know where I could get spoiler free help. Then I realized I could probably ask here as long as I don't look at anything too closely.

So I got lost for a bit down in the depths, and found my way to bug lady who what sells the pins for. And I wanted a pin. BUT! I only have 280 uh... Bug Souls, and I don't know what to get, I'm thinking of not getting the compass, and just buying the quill and pins, since hypothetically, having things marked on the map will be landmarks to get around anyways.

[url]If you want to read about my playthrough I'm writing a reaction journal here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980089[/url]

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I personally would rather die than play without the compass and never use the pins. But you'll have plenty of dough to buy everything eventually so don't worry too much about what you spend it on right now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, money is plentiful and it only seems like a burden during the very early moments of the game. Keep playing and don't sweat it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I mean if you want to go absolutely hardcore explorer you could do that, but you are going to be making the game much much harder unless you have an extremely strong sense of direction. I guess nothing wrong with that if that's how you want to experience the game though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HMS Beagle posted:

only reasonable choice would be to boot up both at once and use some kinda UI app to automatically swap between them every time you die

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm doing my first run of hollow knight since I had first tried it and hated it, and I wanted to know where I could get spoiler free help. Then I realized I could probably ask here as long as I don't look at anything too closely.

So I got lost for a bit down in the depths, and found my way to bug lady who what sells the pins for. And I wanted a pin. BUT! I only have 280 uh... Bug Souls, and I don't know what to get, I'm thinking of not getting the compass, and just buying the quill and pins, since hypothetically, having things marked on the map will be landmarks to get around anyways.

[url]If you want to read about my playthrough I'm writing a reaction journal here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980089[/url]

Just buy everything except pins. You don't really need pins. I mean, buy them, but get everything else first. They are helpful for marking things to come back to later. Everything is useful all the time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I loved the pins! I used them to mark obstacles I couldn't cross, or bosses that were still too hard, or areas I needed to explore!

But yeah, don't have too much FOMO or try to minmax: you will get everything, in time, and everybody has different preferences.

I always kept pocket change for a new map, though. :homebrew:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was totally joking about expecting Silksong news, and am definitely not mad. Please don't put in the papers that I got mad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The next Direct won’t usually be till January, but there might be an Indie only direct before then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bumpeing this so i stop clogging up the switch thread

this game is cool. i think i'm finally near the end (one dreamer, the one in the City, left to go, and I got both halves of the king's soul). i was going to no-guide it but ended up spoiling myself when i looked up the stuff you could get from the dream nail rewards.

highlight so far: dying to Traitor Lord twice on the final hit meaning i despawned right when his death animation began. Cloth has died three times now. a few of the other bosses gave me issues until i kind of cheesed them - both Traitor Lord and the upgraded False Knight got wrecked by abuse of the upgraded dash power, and Hornet II just straight up got facetanked and DPS-raced because i figured there was no way i was going to dodge her poo poo and get damage in at the same time

traitor lord was kind of a pain until i figured out that the bench in that lower area in Greenpath near the Stone Sanctuary is a better respawn area. tons of easy enemies to get Soul off, and it's not as long as it looks because a lot of it can be crystal dashed

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 18, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can also use the dream nail to teleport to just outside his chamber. Makes the runback a lot less irritating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

You can also use the dream nail to teleport to just outside his chamber. Makes the runback a lot less irritating.

true but bench runs to bosses ended up being less of a thing because i tended to grind a bit for soul gauge anyway

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the real strat for the traitor lord runback is to get dream gate and put one right under the boss room.

same for a certain other boss in a certain orange-ish area.

efb!!!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Finally bought this after a long time because I was bored and I really wish I'd bought it sooner, it's very good. The pacing does feel...odd, though. Like I've killed 1/3 dreamers so far and I'm ASSUMING it's kill 3 dreamers, get access to last boss, kill last boss. but i barely have any charms, all things considered, and i feel like there's probably really cool builds and stuff you can put together with enough charms and make things that are fun/weird, but I can't tell how much of the game I'll actually be able to gently caress around with. I'm guessing probably a lot since there's a bunch of DLCs and stuff, I'm just having some issues grasping where exactly I am in the game, progress-wise. i've been using the same charms for like the entire game almost, i've yet to find anything more useful than like. dodgemaster, longer nail, charge arts.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Did find Salubra?

Also killing all three Dreamers gives you access to AN ending

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Finally bought this after a long time because I was bored and I really wish I'd bought it sooner, it's very good. The pacing does feel...odd, though. Like I've killed 1/3 dreamers so far and I'm ASSUMING it's kill 3 dreamers, get access to last boss, kill last boss. but i barely have any charms, all things considered, and i feel like there's probably really cool builds and stuff you can put together with enough charms and make things that are fun/weird, but I can't tell how much of the game I'll actually be able to gently caress around with. I'm guessing probably a lot since there's a bunch of DLCs and stuff, I'm just having some issues grasping where exactly I am in the game, progress-wise. i've been using the same charms for like the entire game almost, i've yet to find anything more useful than like. dodgemaster, longer nail, charge arts.

There's a lot more to the game left than just killing the 3 dreamers + the boss in the egg, but a good deal of it is optional.

One of the DLCs, Godhome, is basically just post-game content there for you to gently caress around with configurations and fight bosses, and some of the best boss fights in the game are only found in Godhome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I picked this back up after getting my Switch OLED and things are going a lot better than the first time, but I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing it. Fighting my way back to boss fights is so frustrating.