Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Episode 13: Hanyuu gets to react to the recap. There's some name drops, and Rika has some memories of Satoko walking up at the end of Tatariakashi, possibly care of Hanyuu, but the episode ends at basically the same point as Gou 17, so... either there's finally some movement past that point, or we're in for some St. Lucia from Rika's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sotsu 13: The fireworks factory is on the horizon!

After dragging things out so much for the past two episodes I was shocked to see the rest of Nekodamashi get the speed run treatment. I thought for sure we'd spend some time getting Satoko's thoughts on the perfect world. Silly me for thinking Sotsu would ever want to explore anything about Satoko beyond her being an inhuman monster. It's my own fault for having expectations that all of this season's stalling of the plot would be worth something I guess.

So as far as we know the Rika that Satoko has been after was not the original Mastsuribayashi-hen Rika who was last seen heading to Angel Mort. Hanyuu doesn't seem to recognize this, saying "this is not the world you chose." It's possible next week could flash back to that original world and show us that Rika was killed by Satoko or maybe that she decided to suicide after finding Satoko dead (anything to further delay the gun scene, right?). This also seems to keep the door open to getting back to the world Rika "chose" somehow. I hope something to that effect is addressed because that split from the original Rika has always bugged me. If not, what even would be considered the ideal world at this point? I think it would have to be one where Satoko and Rika's memories of these loops are completely wiped.

Hanyuu is confirmed to be a part of Eua, although no real insight was provided on how they split or why Eua would be such a monster. I was disappointed we did not see Satoko drop in on them.

I'm pretty convinced this will end in two episodes after that fast forward. There's not really that much to wrap up now. We'll see what Hanyuu's miracle amounts to provided we do get back to the gun scene rather than go off on a tangent next week. I still think she'll turn the gun on herself and we'll get another Satoko vs Satoko battle. Some character development for Satoko in Sotsu would certainly be a miracle. Ah, who am I kidding? The ending will be this:

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 16, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Pretty sure as far as Hanyuu is concerned this isn't like Rick and Morty, they are all the Real Rika as she sits outside of time and space.

We've also already have plenty of investigation into Satoko's motivations; that was the entire point of the beginning of Gou with Satoko at St Lucia and her meetings with Eua.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

We've also already have plenty of investigation into Satoko's motivations; that was the entire point of the beginning of Gou with Satoko at St Lucia and her meetings with Eua.

Yes, we know her motivations. My complaint is that her character arc has been a straight line for the entire season apart from like 5 minutes in episode 10 that was immediately discarded. That inner conflict she showed then is something that should have taken much more focus. I wouldn't have minded the plot being at a standstill all season if there were meaningful character development that would have provided more insight into her thinking leading up to the gun scene, but as of now flipping the evil switch back to good might be the best we can hope for. R07 claimed that he wanted to tell this story because Satoko hadn't grown any at the end of the original. There are two episodes left and I'm still waiting for that growth.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 16, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What a complete waste of time.

Actually, probably worse than that since it makes the show weaker by revealing that it actually was an accident that Rika outed Satoko instead of her cleverly outsmarting her. Now it really was just another 'miracle' brought on by sheer chance and loop memories. Oh and Hanyuu had no clue about Satoko so I guess she actually was telling Rika to kill herself with the sword. Super cool. :thumbsup:

Eua vs Hanyuu was done about as poorly as you could possibly have done it. Nothing interesting, just Eua = Evil but strong, Hanyuu = Good but weak. Absolutely nothing done with Satoko the whole episode in what could have been her most interesting moment yet.
Sotsu really has been a complete letdown the whole way through.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 16, 2021

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Well at least it got through a lot of content.

...Man, I was defending it long after most people gave up, but the miracle is just...Why. Give that to the other club members goddamn it! Rena was literally in that exact memory scene! And then you have the additional narrative satisfaction of "Satoko's loop abuse bites her" and "we don't need gods we have the Power of Friendship".

Well, there's still time for a magical girl transformation into Lamba. That's what I'm holding out for.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Yeahhhhh... Sotsu does look to be going out like a wet fart.

Well, since it doesn't look like it's gonna happen, I see no harm in spilling my theory about why the Answer Arcs were so pointlessly dragged out: I was expecting a film finale. It was honestly why I thought we were returning to the "Satoko pulls a gun on Rika" scene so late. But nope, looks like we're getting a rushed and anticlimactic wrap-up in two episodes.

What really grinds my gears about this episode is that the miracle was Rika outing Satoko as the other looper by accident rather than on purpose. That makes the entire confrontation significantly less awesome and shits on any character development Rika got both in Gou and in the original Higurashi.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In a series already with improbable character survivals, Rika somehow being alive enough to realize Satoko was coming at the end of Tatariakashi is some absolutely contrived nonsense.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Raxivace posted:

In a series already with improbable character survivals, Rika somehow being alive enough to realize Satoko was coming at the end of Tatariakashi is some absolutely contrived nonsense.

Those aren't her memories, its Hanyuu inserting them from the Sea of Fragments.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Those aren't her memories, its Hanyuu inserting them from the Sea of Fragments.
I'm not sure this is true. Even if it is that's still pretty lame.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I haven't watched the newest episode yet but I gather it's bad huh

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nyoro posted:

It's fine.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nyoro posted:

It continues the trend of taking everything you thought might have made for an interesting development and confirming it was actually nothing.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Well, gently caress https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...h-virus-outbrea

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Look who showed up in Higurashi Mei: https://www.reddit.com/r/Higurashinonakakoroni/comments/pqdu2b/so_we_met_again_child_of_man/

Some interesting stuff:

- Theatregoing is mentioned in her card title, which is another soft-confirmation that she is Featherine.
- Satoko both knows her and her name instinctively and doesn't remember her but still obeys her.
- She gets Satoko to bring her some interesting food but they can't go into the Sea of Fragments with her so she reads Satoko's mind to get the 'future' taste of them even though Satoko hasn't eaten them yet.
- She tells Satoko to "Now return, to that broken 'world' you desired."
- Eua says a bunch of weird, cryptic stuff to someone unseen. It could be the player or maybe Bernkastel.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Man the censorship in 13 was pretty ugly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

marumaru posted:

Man the censorship in 13 was pretty ugly

on the one hand I really didn’t need to see the ritual again in full awful gory detail but on the other hand at least the first time through the episode was so disturbing that Hulu didn’t poo poo it up with five full ad breaks

E: also I thought the episode was pretty okay overall but would have been Actually Good if the end was due to Rena giving a warning

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 19, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Episode 14: On today's episode of Dragon Ball Z...

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Episode 14 random thoughts: Well, that was something. Satoko's multi-loop rant has to count among the best villain explains their motivation speeches ever. Loved the callback to the Tsumihoroboshi roof battle. I was surprised at just how few fucks Rika gave about Satoko being a looper or about her motivation. She didn't feel a little bit guilty about her role in things, but she was pretty indifferent back then though so it tracks. I guess she still feels something even in Bern mode, but she's definitely no Keiichi when it comes to this stuff.

The second half got a little too fantastical for my tastes with the DBZ battle and time warping stuff. I'd prefer things be kept at least somewhat grounded. I actually kind of expected that sort of thing to happen considering how much Umineko meta nonsense has leaked into this series, but I figured it would take place in the sea of fragments at least.

Eua's whole "I wonder what will happen" spiel at the end had me half expecting her to turn straight to the camera to break the fourth wall and say "I can't wait to see what happens next week!" Will we actually get an explanation for how Hanyuu is a part of her or will we be forced to live with "something something memory device" as an explanation? Maybe the part of her that hates humanity split when Rika was born?

One of my blue truths regarding the sword actually panned out. Seems only Rika and Satoko could see it.

Eua said "certainty." Eua is Lambda confirmed.

Apparently everyone who said Satoko's motivation was that she hates studying was right if this is anything to go off of. Too bad for those of us who thought R07 still cared about any depth these characters once had.

Anyone still think this will go another season? I'm not sure how Rika and Satoko will resolve things but I really want to see Satoko's good self make another appearance, come to some realization and get them both to stand down. I suspect Rika will end up going to St Lucia without Satoko but they'll resolve to remain friends. Hopefully Hanyuu can erase their memories somewhat because man are they ever broken. The new club member designs everyone was waiting for will show up briefly in the epilogue minus the whole sinister filter.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 23, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Episode 14: Well, that was totally ridiculous. On the one hand it's very good to see actual plot happening and Rika and Satoko finally talking but on the other I can't help but be let down. They really did focus on the stupid goddamn studying thing like that was the core of the issue instead of the betrayal and lies.

The fight between Satoko and Rika in the first half was incredible. Fantastic creativity and camera work. The energy fight was.... not as good.

I do like that Satoko 'lost' in the end because she had a gay moment. Although it is a bit odd since this is still supposed to be the ruthless and evil as gently caress Witch Satoko.

J-Spot posted:

Eua's whole "I wonder what will happen" spiel at the end had me half expecting her to turn straight to the camera to break the fourth wall and say "I can't wait to see what happens next week!" Will we actually get an explanation for how Hanyuu is a part of her or will we be forced to live with "something something memory device" as an explanation? Maybe the part of her that hates humanity split when Rika was born?

Apparently everyone who said Satoko's motivation was that she hates studying was right if this is anything to go off of. Too bad for those of us who thought R07 still cared about any depth these characters once had.

Anyone still think this will go another season? I'm not sure how Rika and Satoko will resolve things but I really want to see Satoko's good self make another appearance, come to some realization and get them both to stand down. I suspect Rika will end up going to St Lucia without Satoko but they'll resolve to remain friends. Hopefully Hanyuu can erase their memories somewhat because man are they ever broken. The new club member designs everyone was waiting for will show up briefly in the epilogue minus the whole sinister filter.

I don't think it's possible to twist it into anything other than Eua = Featherine and Hanyuu = Featherines piece from the original Higurashi. The latter has long been semi-canon and everything being established in Sotsu seems to want to cement it. I don't see how it can be anything else anymore.

I hate it. Instead of talking about anything meaningful Satoko just complained that she doesn't want to study and Rika just insisted she'd make her do it anyway. It's easily the pettiest part of the whole conflict so focusing on it really just makes Gou/Sotsu look even more dumb than it was before. I agree that Rika didn't end up looking better than Satoko in this. She's just as committed to forcing Satoko to go to St. Lucia as Satoko is to forcing her to stay in Hinamizawa.

Unfortunately no. It's really looking like they are going to wrap it up in the next episode. It figures that they'd spend an agonising amount of time on the petty bollocks about showing step by step how Satoko killed everyone but speed right through the part everyone was waiting to see. The only way they can do another season now is to have Satoko lose and season 3 be all about saving her from the Rika-less timeline. Or do 'Lambda and Berns Looping Adventures' where they team up and go bannana's across the timelines.

I feel like Hanyuu is going to merge herself with Eua, just like how the sword and shard merged and she's become One Whole Featherine and stop the fight because Hanyuu gave her a teeny tiny bit of empathy.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 23, 2021

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
At least we got to see Rika bonk Satoko with Chair-kun

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Yeesh. So we finally reached the fireworks factory, only to find it already up in flames with only a handful of firecrackers left for any meager satisfaction.

Instead of all the other far more viable reasons Satoko could have that were built up over the entire series... we seriously just went with "wahhhh I don't wanna study"? I'm sorry, but come the gently caress on, R07. I get that normal children would be obstinate about something so petty, but both Satoko and Rika have long since stopped being "normal"; I'm not buying "because they're children lol" as an excuse for these characters having no depth. It might be believable in Satoko's case, but absolutely not Rika's.

I was willing to give this the benefit of the doubt, but that's probably the last nail in the coffin for me. Unless the last episode does something insane, pulls the "Lambda and Bern begins" card, or both, I'm about a step away from pretending that Gou/Sotsu never happened.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 23, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I still don't think the studying is supposed to be the real main issue, but it's hard to ignore how much time they spent focusing on it like it was.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

eh the studying thing is fine by me because if there's one thing witches ain't, it's well-reasoned and rational. i actually really liked how satoko just goes hard on that as her excuse and rika just does not even care for a second, it felt very Lambda vs Bern

it's pretty clear where the whole animating budget for this season went

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stay in school, kids.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

This episode loving sucked lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sorry upon a closer watch I realized I was incorrect. The episode was really loving stupidly awesome

however it was so gross I felt sick at a few points maybe tone that down please guys

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 24, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You know, if I didn't come into this show with any expectations I'd probably think this episode was brilliant. The extremity of the violence contrasted against the pettiness of their argument was kind of hilarious now that I think about it.

Also one genuinely funny moment was Keiichi asking if Satoko attacking Rika was a part of the dance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Today's episode:

"Hey stop stabbing me." :mad:
"*giggles* Oh you! *stabs* :allears:

I wonder if this is kinda a commentary for the whole scorpion and the frog aesop,

"Hey I can carry you across, so maybe don't kill me?"
"Why would I do that, that's so dumb."
*stings frog to death*
"WHY DID YOU THAT!?"
"Because I wanted to."

And basically Rika and Satoko flip flip between being the frog and being the scorpion to each others perspective. Rika not helping Satoko is Rika betraying Satoko to her eyes, Satoko of course doing the whole repeat murders thing is also a similar betrayal to Rika's eyes but all she still wants to do is carry Satoko across no matter how many times she's stung. And they repeat this ahem dance over and over because of their conflicting natures.

Maybe its a commentary on co-dependency?

Last half started to get a little absurd and I dunno how to feel about it because it isn't clear to me at what point did their fighting cease to be literally killing each other and resuming in a new loop at a different random points along the timeline (or just hilarious maybe Rika trying to avoid Satoko for literally years in some cases only to get bonked at some point) to transforming into some spiritual metamorphosis metaphorical subconscious or extraplanar journey thing for DBZ battles.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

the gore was really nasty and I was glad when they both activated their dbz super modes and had an umineko-esque laser swordfight instead (this is the only time i will relate sotsugyou to umineko)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
As soon as I saw the frying pan I knew something awful was about to happen.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I still ruminate on thoughts, here's something different:

The latest volume of the Gou manga came out. It's been noted to have diverged in places to this point, and now it's looking to head in a different direction.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Jun is the next part of the manga - an answer arc different from the TV version.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

As soon as I saw the frying pan I knew something awful was about to happen.

The violence has been so over the top in the last few episodes that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually watching Happy Tree Friends :v:

Episode started out great and then became so dumb that it wrapped around to amazing. I'm hoping we get some actual payoff next episode, though.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hogama posted:

The latest volume of the Gou manga came out. It's been noted to have diverged in places to this point, and now it's looking to head in a different direction.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Jun is the next part of the manga - an answer arc different from the TV version.

Huh. "Patrol, go around". Combined with Gou: "Provincial tour" (jungyou). That makes for an interesting comparison to "Graduation" (sotsugyou).

Maybe the anime ends with Rika's win and desired world ("graduation", going to St Lucia's), and the manga with Satoko's ("provincial tour", staying in Hinamizawa)?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hogama posted:

Weird. My joke about the manga being a fake adaption was actually right. Maybe this is what R07 meant about Satoko naming Eua in another world.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Speaking of new Higurashi manga, this news has been making the rounds:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1441440252053364736?s=20

When R07 said he had an idea for a story starring Keiichi's kid this must have been what he meant.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I got around to watching episode 14. The entirety of Sotsu should have been like this. It would still be a bad show, but at least it would have been a stupidly entertaining Jerry Springer-esque brawl instead of a stupidly boring recap fest. There was literal honest-to-god Looney Toon physics going on: Satoko shoving an entire fork through her neck, or her going Donkey Kong with the drum, or her chasing down and hitting Rika before she hits the ground... If this was a less gory show, it would have been a Studio Trigger production. I could do nothing besides laugh this entire episode.

It felt really bad that they focused on Satoko's refusal to study instead of anything else going on with her motivations. I know they only have 22 minutes per episode and only 15 episodes this series, but it would have been more organic if they had allotted more time to this arc and not 12 episodes of repeated material.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

please think of the profit margins though, they'd have to make more original material

marumaru
May 20, 2013

how much scene reuse was there, actually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

marumaru posted:

how much scene reuse was there, actually?

I think somebody on Reddit checked at the end of Tatari and found like 20 minutes of reused scenes. Episode 12 probably had more than any other and 13 had a lot too, but considering this season had 15 episodes compared to the anime standard of 12 they really just stretched their dollars further rather than saving any.