Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Sandweed posted:

Sometimes I wonder how it feels to be a person who goes I want things to be better, but not to much you know, and votes for corporate dems. They probably still thinks of themselves as good people too.

They don't want things to be better, they just want nothing to change thier already quite nice lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

tylertfb posted:

They don't want things to be better, they just want nothing to change thier already quite nice lives.

You know, maybe becoming the joker isn't that bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I went to a local BLM protest. It was heartening to see so many people come out in the middle of rural Virginia. But one of the main speakers kept emphasizing "Today we march, in November we vote!" and way too much of it was just channeling all that energy toward voting for Dems.

Sandweed posted:

Sometimes I wonder how it feels to be a person who goes I want things to be better, but not to much you know, and votes for corporate dems. They probably still thinks of themselves as good people too.
They want things to be better because they want to feel good about themselves. They're an overwhelmingly white cohort of upper-middle-class people, and being affluent in the empire makes them feel guilty when they read news about bad things happening to the less fortunate. For them, politics is church and voting is communion. It's why they make politicians into celebrities, and why they have a venomous hatred for the Left--the very existence of anyone to the left of them, especially someone they can't write off as a fringe loony, upends their entire worldview.

(Plus, a lot of the time their own material interest is genuinely aligned with the Republicans against the Left, though they'll never admit it. They don't want to pay more taxes, they don't want low-cost housing bringing their property values down, and they definitely don't want to pay more for labour or goods.)

Speaking of which, anyone else enjoying Hell of Presidents as much as I am? Among many other threads, Matt traces how the Democratic Party shed labour activism to become a party of affluent professionals that isn't really a political project in any meaningful sense.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Sandweed posted:

You know, maybe becoming the joker isn't that bad.

I mean, the people living in the rich and semi-rich liberal neighborhoods in my city (San Diego) are living some of the nicest, most pleasant, materially easy lives ever experienced by humans in the entire history of this dumb planet. Even right now, in 2021!!! Why would they want to risk upending that in any way? And this is the same for every 'Blue' enclave in this country. All they are looking for is some outlet to assuage their guilt and voting Dem fits that bill perfectly.

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 23, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I went to a local BLM protest. It was heartening to see so many people come out in the middle of rural Virginia. But one of the main speakers kept emphasizing "Today we march, in November we vote!" and way too much of it was just channeling all that energy toward voting for Dems.

They want things to be better because they want to feel good about themselves. They're an overwhelmingly white cohort of upper-middle-class people, and being affluent in the empire makes them feel guilty when they read news about bad things happening to the less fortunate. For them, politics is church and voting is communion. It's why they make politicians into celebrities, and why they have a venomous hatred for the Left--the very existence of anyone to the left of them, especially someone they can't write off as a fringe loony, upends their entire worldview.

(Plus, a lot of the time their own material interest is genuinely aligned with the Republicans against the Left, though they'll never admit it. They don't want to pay more taxes, they don't want low-cost housing bringing their property values down, and they definitely don't want to pay more for labour or goods.)

Speaking of which, anyone else enjoying Hell of Presidents as much as I am? Among many other threads, Matt traces how the Democratic Party shed labour activism to become a party of affluent professionals that isn't really a political project in any meaningful sense.

Theres been waves of conservatives running for local office all over the country and actually winning, that same energy is not matched by the democrats or leftists.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What the gently caress

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Lol holy poo poo at the guest

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

hahaha how the gently caress

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1441215125579395077?s=20

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
laskjfl;asjdflakjflaskjdfa;lvjkal;dv

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

:sickos:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
two hours and nineteen minutes

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1441216875078189060?s=21

holy poo poo

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
lmao what

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
:whoptc:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Felix is the best

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wow i wish i still had premium

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

wow i wish i still had premium

If you've got an android device you dont even need a pirate RSS feed. Theres a full one just in the google podcasts app.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I am literally subscribing just for this. Felix, you've made it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ok I take back what I said before lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lmao

"Can you swear on this podcast?"

"Oh you can say whatEVER you want."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Blagojevich loving owns. I’m buying what he’s selling.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I can never hear Blago's name without Jon Stewart's pronunciation of it but thank u Felix for making my grass cutting session tomorrow utterly enjoyable in advance

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Felix should've interviewed KSR instead of Will. Too bad he doesn't like sci fi

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i love how felix's chicago accent comes out just a little bit when he's with his kind

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m grinning from ear to ear. Just cheesing out listening to Rod

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

lmao

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

just, lmao

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tweezer Reprise posted:

i love how felix's chicago accent comes out just a little bit when he's with his kind

That’ll happen. My Wisconsin comes out when I’m with my Wisconsin side of the family and vice versa with my Illinois side.

Ope.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It keeps happening.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
if you listen to this ep as a leftist and you don't get anything out of it, you might be intentionally tonedeaf

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Not a great episode for the "Felix argues with the guests" crowd, but it's not like an adversarial interview would've accomplished anything.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Tweezer Reprise posted:

if you listen to this ep as a leftist and you don't get anything out of it, you might be intentionally tonedeaf

Some of the stuff Rod said in the interview (Felix did a good job on clarifying Chelsea Manning's situation to him though), you can take with a grain of salt.

I think at the very least he was sincere about how the Dem Leadership treated him during his investigation, arrest, and indictment along with his evolved views on how Prosecutors and the Justice system treat people. You can tell he was an excellent retail politician in his day and him and Felix gabbing about Illinois politics in the 2nd hour was a lot of fun.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Crunchy Black posted:

I can never hear Blago's name without Jon Stewart's pronunciation of it but thank u Felix for making my grass cutting session tomorrow utterly enjoyable in advance

Same. Stewart cursed his name in my brain forever now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Felix has such an eye for capturing the very specific banality of Chicago suburb culture, what a king.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What a whirlwind of 2+ hours.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Is this episode considered Blago-house? (That’s a real mid 2ks joke there for ya)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Famethrowa posted:

Felix has such an eye for capturing the very specific banality of Chicago suburb culture, what a king.

Chicago has such a fascinating political history. The Daley machine was amazing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do Cushvlogs get audio only uploads anywhere? I'm so behind on them because I can't find time to play anything on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

rachel ray romano posted:

Not a great episode for the "Felix argues with the guests" crowd, but it's not like an adversarial interview would've accomplished anything.

He pushes back on a lot more than Will did when Kim Stanley Robinson started praising billionaires