Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This is easily my favorite C&H strip Watterson ever did.
Same. Back when I was a kid/teen the snowmen were always my favorite but this a close second. These days as I'm pretending to be an adult they've switched places. :3:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 25, 1947)

Ah, this strip. We have a reminder that Val wanted leniency for his former enemies because they were "of his own race," the assumption that a handful of people could "dominate" a native tribe in this way, an uncomfortable redface panel, and the appropriation of the Beothuck people's identity for a throwaway name gimmick. From my recollection this strip is the most awkward and unpleasant by modern standards in the whole America storyline.

The Beothuck were a First Nations people from Newfoundland who no longer exist. These are (one of?) the peoples the vikings referred to as "skraelings." As Foster suggests, they apparently avoided contact with Europeans when they could, but contact obviously was unavoidable and they were screwed like so many others by being pushed completely off their land by European colonists. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a lot of information about them. Apparently researchers aren't even sure what family their language is from, although it seems like Algonquian is a plausible answer. Foster's suggestion that they "disguised their fair skins with red paint" seems to be based on a cultural practice of wearing body paint made from red ochre.

Also, I think Beothald may have taken a slight detour to see this landmark.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billingsly learned "blerd" huh

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

To be fair, the earless, tailless cat does appear to be some sort of weird goblin creature, but that might be due to it being coloured in a uniform shade of fleshy brown. And I don't think it's meant to be hairless.

If it was, say, a tuxedo cat, I don't think it would be so unsettling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Drimble Wedge posted:

Both of those men were famous baseball players.

More specifically, Satchel Paige was probably the greatest pitcher in the history of the Negro Leagues (and one of the best pitchers in baseball history period, Joe Posnanski ranked him 10th on his list of the 100 best baseball players), pitched effectively in the Majors well into his 40's (or 50's, uncertainty about his age was part of Satch's legend), and was, without a doubt, the source of the most tall tales in baseball history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cezveXv-Q

Larry Doby meanwhile was the first player to break the color barrier in the American League, making his debut with Cleveland shortly after Jackie Robinson did the same in Brooklyn. He was also an excellent ball player (won a World Series, elected to the hall of fame), but his place in baseball history has always been a footnote compared to Robinson.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 15-16, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

i appreciate spuds commitment to the joke

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I was not prepared for Kitten Puck. Amazing design.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Oh, uh-oh. We're not gonna see Broch Bronson and the cavalcade of MWF superstars, are we?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Ah, this strip. We have a reminder that Val wanted leniency for his former enemies because they were "of his own race," the assumption that a handful of people could "dominate" a native tribe in this way, an uncomfortable redface panel, and the appropriation of the Beothuck people's identity for a throwaway name gimmick. From my recollection this strip is the most awkward and unpleasant by modern standards in the whole America storyline.

Yeah, this one is certainly not the strip's finest hour, but it might easily have been SO much worse.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

JethroMcB posted:

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Oh, uh-oh. We're not gonna see Broch Bronson and the cavalcade of MWF superstars, are we?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Kevin's dad did not buy these tickets. Kevin's Mom did, and arranged everything so that all Kevin's dad had to do was show up, and spend a couple hours with the kids at the wresting show, and Kevin's dad acquiesced to the arrangement.

Odds of him showing up are probably low.

Edit: Wrote "Kyle's Dad" when I meant "Kevin's Dad", though every indication is that they're the same person.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 25, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maltesh posted:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Kyle's dad did not buy these tickets. Kyle's Mom did, and arranged everything so that all Kyle's dad had to do was show up, and spend a couple hours with the kids at the wresting show, and Kyle's dad acquiesced to the arrangement.

Odds of him showing up are probably low.

I suspect this is the case, but they still end up going

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

Spoilered for non-explicit-but-clearly-a-sexbot implications including robot boobs. The weird statue is a Billiken statue, a little bit of well-loved traditional Osaka kitsch.

I did not know about these Billiken statues, but here in Chicago we have the annual Bud Billiken Parade! Inspired by the same fictional character from KC,MO, the Chicago Defender developed a comics character for the supplementary Junior Defender, adding the first name “Bud.” Starting in 1929, the Black population on the South Side began holding the parade, which has happened every year since (except 2020, for obvious reasons). It’s really become a celebration of Black achievement, with a big rear end cookout in a park after the parade. How cool to see the character’s evolution on the other side of the world!

Classic Zits

Sylvia

I love the DOGS FROM HELL so much.

100 Demons: The Visitor

I think it’s an interesting detail that he’s playing *her* guitar.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I suspect this is the case, but they still end up going

We just set up that Miles' mom also likes wrestling and getting caught in the frenzy (and wants to see those big muscles). I could see her taking them and having a fun time with the boys, and then we can get a pouty dad joke out of miles' dad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Kyle loves Miles' mum already. It could kill him.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Did he forget to restock?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This is getting weird, in the flashback Phantom's bleeding profusely, but in the current moment, nothing?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

holy poo poo...................baby Puck.....

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

And so the entire José case was solved off-screen. In this case the comic actually tried to expand his role, since the book doesn't have a scene with José and Lady Egmont in the inn, or him stalking Paul. It's just Lady Egmont appearing and telling Paul about a murder plot she has learned, and then Ester coming to tell that the situation was resolved.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 27, 1999)

OMG that tail! :3

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wilbur is a disaster but Pierre is a good boy as all dogs are. :3:

Grando with the "I could execute you now but that'd be unsporting" criminal code I see. I get that the first story in the old Mandrake strips was his brother having an interesting crisis of conscience but I guess everyone else with Mandrake powers is just too god drat stupid to quietly become rich and powerful with their limited but absolute sensory control.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

100 Demons: Scent

decided to go back and read 100 Demons and: it's excellent, incredible comics work going on here, thank you for posting it!!

is there a panel or two missing between these two though? Or does air freshener lady just Exist from that previous panel?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

riderchop posted:

decided to go back and read 100 Demons and: it's excellent, incredible comics work going on here, thank you for posting it!!

is there a panel or two missing between these two though? Or does air freshener lady just Exist from that previous panel?

Oh my gosh, you’re absolutely right! Good catch! I’ll go edit it in, but for now here’s the missing panel:

And thanks so much, I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! It’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever read and I’ve really been enjoying the storytelling work of posting it (except when I randomly miss a panel, of course).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yay, a Nancy that ISN'T just some kid and their rambling thoughts!

I'm also loving 100 Demons and am very glad that it's being posted here.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 23, 2021

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online: Animals of the Abyss

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 17, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 5, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 5, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 7, 1936

Mopsy June 10, 1937

Up Front July 19, 1944

Dark Laughter October 23, 1948

Those Were the Days May 10, 1956

Wee Pals December 28, 1965

Dogbert June 1, 1966

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "276 - Jucika And The Lifeguards"

"277 - Jucika In The Wave"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

And thanks so much, I’m so glad you’re enjoying it! It’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever read and I’ve really been enjoying the storytelling work of posting it (except when I randomly miss a panel, of course).

It's real good. And now I know it's Tagalog!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side is weird again. Sorry.

Pickles

Zits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True November 5, 1918

gently caress off, Everett, you beat the poo poo out of some dude because you were mad they weren't speaking English properly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tired: kitten puck
wired: young elvis' kickin' haircut

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Soooooo the latest Northern California wildfire is uncomfortably close and while I'm not in the evacuation zone (yet), it's near enough that I'm sweating. To make this comics related, I'm still loving pissed at Batiuk about the story arc he did about California wildfires that one time.

Anyway, speaking of things that are too hot to handle here's today's Luann:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "276 - Jucika And The Lifeguards"

Nobody loves a fat bald man!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: click and listen while reading for full effect (September 22-28, 2003)

Last appearance: Danielle Kindle. So long, Danielle.

First appearance: Danielle Kendall. Welcome, Danielle.

Oh yes, we're absolutely doing this, and I've been waiting for this moment. Now the crazyness can start in earnest.

(Click for big)

Guys and gals and nonbinary pals: strap your seatbelts and :getin:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I haven't really been keeping up with the K&K archive binge but if that chart gets wide enough to scale down on a 2560x1440 screen I'm going to be upset