Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Weirdly, the only hose under the hood that doesn't look brand new is the evap purge hose - it's basically a grease stain at this point (it flakes apart if you breathe on it, and your hands get this weird rubbery smear on them if they get within an inch), and the quick connect is broken at the purge solenoid, but if I glare at it just right, I don't get any evap codes. I'm starting to get a random rough idle + CEL, CEL goes back off the next time I drive it. I'm assuming it's a dying coil, but my OBD2 dongle isn't donging anymore.

All of the other hoses either look brand new (cooling system stuff is all OEM AFAIK, but looks new) or replaced with bulk hose (oil cooler, trans cooler). I'm afraid to touch the hose from the intake to the heater core, even though it has the Dorman manifold. I'm still wondering why it got a Dorman intake when the coolant crossover issue was fixed on the OEM intake; maybe just a "replace stock intake manifold when you see one" policy? Supposedly the Dorman manifold actually costs you a little bit of power vs the stock manifold; at least the p/n on the intake is for the later models (so hopefully modeled after a PI version, not the NPI). Radiator looks original, and I get the slightest whiff of coolant around the front of the car, but the surge tank is still dead on the full mark, with no signs of leakage . :iiam:

From what I understand from when I replaced my intake, Dorman’s is their pre-PI intake modified with PI flanges, which is why is costs HP. Conversely, the early non-PI Dorman intake on the matching engine is *better* than factory.

It’s entirely possible that your intake was replaced for the same reason mine was. Ford fixed the coolant crossover in the front, but made the incredibly idiotic decision to leave the heater nipple in the back plastic! That’s where mine soiled itself. I think you know that, given the above reference to not touching the heater hose. Just so dumb.
I kept my original intake. I may fix it some day when I get a wild hair, since the Motorcraft replacement has the same potential problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey, that same heater hose nubbin is why I had to replace my manifold, too! Mine broke off during the engine swap at 13 years / ~120k miles.

Sadly, it's also plastic on the Ford Racing part. I figure I at least bought myself / the next owner a few years of peace.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
I picked up some new to me tires and rims for my Hornet to replace the ancient JCPenney brand tires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That looks like the (what I assumed was fake) pattern on toy car tires!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Hey, that same heater hose nubbin is why I had to replace my manifold, too! Mine broke off during the engine swap at 13 years / ~120k miles.

Sadly, it's also plastic on the Ford Racing part. I figure I at least bought myself / the next owner a few years of peace.

Mine just popped on a, er, spirited deprature from a stop light.
It lasted 13 or 14 years, presuming it was original, so, yeah, a few more years.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Swiller of Beer posted:

I picked up some new to me tires and rims for my Hornet to replace the ancient JCPenney brand tires.

Might be worth keeping one just for the novelty. Not on the car, of course.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Mini's trunk is exactly one toilet sized.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Arishtat posted:

And it’s the perfect size for a driveway basketball hoop.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Arishtat posted:

Barely enough room for that tach.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
did somebody say hornet? :justpost::posthaste:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Darchangel posted:

But it's perfect for a Volvo, yes?
yes!

Raluek posted:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I want to hate it and I do. It's awful. How dare you.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Today I tore apart an entire spare glovebox I bought on the internet to get two tiny plastic locking inserts so my glovebox doesn't fall open every time I go over a harsh bump. Of which there are many on every road where I live.

I tore it apart because the thing came in the post locked, but with no lock cylinder so it was essentially locked shut.

And then I didn't take a single picture of it like a buffoon.

Works though, glovebox is secure. :dance:

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

A 1970 Hornet. 199 six/auto. As noted by the JCPenney tires it's been sitting a while.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Red on red is such a hype combination. Just the strongest colour inside and out. :allears:

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Red on red is such a hype combination. Just the strongest colour inside and out. :allears:

Yeah I still don’t know how I feel about the interior yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Swiller of Beer posted:

You feel that the interior is rad as hell and fully 100% awesome :colbert:

Don't be a putz

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Swiller of Beer posted:

i do :okpos:

you really can't gently caress with classic american iron for hideous but amazing fever dream colors

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The red interior will be awesome right after the carpet goes from filthy gray/beige to black.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

honda whisperer posted:

The red interior will be awesome right after the carpet goes from filthy gray/beige to black.

Lol carpet. This was the poverty spec model with a vinyl floor covering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

You feel that the interior is red as hell and fully 100% awesome :colbert:

Don't be a putz

FTFY

Clean that fucker up, polish the turd, but leave it exactly as it is, and it'll be awesome more awesome.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The flywheel and torque arm insert differences shouldn’t feel the same; the light flywheel is good for faster gain and loss in revs, and the torque arm insert just reduces the slop in the drivetrain and shifting really.

That said, I’m not sure the Abarth is a forever car for me, but I do love driving that little hilarious shoe. I don’t always have good luck with Chrysler either…

The difference between the stock and aftermarket flywheel is the OEM has a cush system to help absorb a lot of load shifts. Going aftermaret means a solid (and in this case also lightened) flywheel, so there is certainly a more direct engagement of the motor to the driveline.

Another thing I've noticed more recently is the gear rollover noise. It gets worse when the A/C is running, and goes away if the clutch is depressed or with a little pressure on the gear selector.

I do love the dumb go-cart car. Just living with all the quirks.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

No. 6 posted:

The difference between the stock and aftermarket flywheel is the OEM has a cush system to help absorb a lot of load shifts. Going aftermaret means a solid (and in this case also lightened) flywheel, so there is certainly a more direct engagement of the motor to the driveline.

Another thing I've noticed more recently is the gear rollover noise. It gets worse when the A/C is running, and goes away if the clutch is depressed or with a little pressure on the gear selector.

I do love the dumb go-cart car. Just living with all the quirks.

Ahh gotcha. I didn’t know about that difference in the OEM and aftermarket flywheels on these. All the flywheels I’ve ever done have just been solid.

I took my other stupid go kart to the dealership to get the power steering recall from 2015 fixed. I was there a total of 90 minutes for a new PS pump and “health check” during which they found the following:

It wasn’t a hard sell situation but I can get aftermarket side markers for like $20.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 23, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I uninstalled, tested, then reinstalled my starter because I forgot to check the relay first. The valuable lesson I learned is that Im a dumbass

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Swiller of Beer posted:

I am both terrified and then yet again terrified of those tires, congrats!

I got attacked by wasps installing a battery charger on the dock to feed the boat, and was rewarded with the news that I get to buy two new batteries.

Also the wiring is a nightmare.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

trouser chili posted:

Also the wiring is a nightmare.

What do you mean we have a phantom drain somewhere? What a mess.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Am I looking at the wrong sticker or is that battery from 2005?

Definitely need a bus bar or fuse block or literally anything but that mess of ring terminals.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Ranzear posted:

Am I looking at the wrong sticker or is that battery from 2005?

Definitely need a bus bar or fuse block or literally anything but that mess of ring terminals.

That round sticker says "G5". I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure these dudes were installed in 2015, they old. Ironically the battery that was on the old "Battery Tender 800" is the one that ate poo poo, although looking at that mess attached to it tells a story. The other battery is isolated via a switch that was preventing it from charging (and being drained) when the boat was stored. It's still reading 12.8V, but the one with the spaghetti attached can only muster 10.2.

Anyway, I've got two new batteries settin' here and more parts on the way. I should have this cleaned up by end of weekend and a new charging setup that actually charges both batteries when the boat is stored. Just gotta find a place to install a busbar. This boat is older than I am, lives in salt, the gelcoat is trash, it's been repowered more times than I know, and it's all been cowboys throwing the tools about. Surprises await.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

trouser chili posted:

That round sticker says "G5". I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure these dudes were installed in 2015, they old. Ironically the battery that was on the old "Battery Tender 800" is the one that ate poo poo, although looking at that mess attached to it tells a story. The other battery is isolated via a switch that was preventing it from charging (and being drained) when the boat was stored. It's still reading 12.8V, but the one with the spaghetti attached can only muster 10.2.

Anyway, I've got two new batteries settin' here and more parts on the way. I should have this cleaned up by end of weekend and a new charging setup that actually charges both batteries when the boat is stored. Just gotta find a place to install a busbar. This boat is older than I am, lives in salt, the gelcoat is trash, it's been repowered more times than I know, and it's all been cowboys throwing the tools about. Surprises await.

boat life

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally did plugs on Canadian Bacon.

Went OEM instead of NGK. Came prepared with new boots (wound up not needing them, everything was in good shape, so they're going back to Amazon):

Someone's been in here before. Antiseize slathered everywhere (yet they were gutntite - pain in the rear end breaking them loose one handed). Motorcraft plugs, but for the flex fuel and CNG engines (double platinum instead of single, and one heat range cooler). A bit worn. Serviceable, but worn. A little carbon, but they all looked the same, and the gap was definitely a lot wider on them vs the new ones.

Haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it fires off easier. That rear plug on the passenger side can go gently caress itself, but it's not as bad as on an F-150; managed to get to it by testing the nipple from the intake to the heater core hose (shoved the hose back behind the evap purge valve). Took all my wobble extensions for the plugs, and one coil bolt is a bit of a pain (under the throttle body motor); probably would have saved time just pulling the throttle body, but meh, I turned that fucker 1/4 turn at a time with an open ended wrench. :sigh: All the others were more accessible than I expected, just had to unplug a few things in the process.

I'll fill it up and reset the PCM tomorrow; hopefully my mileage goes up a little with the correct heat range plugs in it. It's been throwing misfire codes occasionally for a couple of weeks, hopefully that clears up too. All of the coils look original; if they're not, they're at least all OEM parts. None were cracked, all the boots looked good too. Gap was pretty drat wide on the old plugs vs the new ones..

e: just looked up the inspection history... P71s call for spark plugs every 60k; this hit 60k in 2011 (has 127k now). So potentially the wrong plugs for 10 years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like the same mechanic who worked on my old WJ before I bought it. Copper antiseize everywhere, plugs were the hotter ones for the base 4.7L instead of the 4.7HO.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

These were cooler, so I think more than anything it's going to be carboned up a bit. The plugs had more carbon than I'm used to seeing, anyway.

Gonna have to give it a few Italian tuneups. :getin:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Boat is butter

Seat was hosed and falling apart into three distinct pieces. I kinda unfucked it and it's definitely in one piece again, which is nice. Perhaps I should clean it.

Had to ditch one of the teak covers to accommodate the starboard battery box, but I feel it's a lot safer this way. These sealed batteries do explode sometimes and the one I removed with the spaghetti-fest on top of it is all puffed up while reading 10.2v. I moved all those bullshit ring-terminal connections to a busbar I mounted to the back of the new starboard battery box. I really should have re-terminated them with new rings that properly fit the new busbar, but I wasn't super exited to do all that knowing I'm going to find out half of them aren't even supposed to be there today. Seriously I keep finding old wiring were they just cut it and walked away.

I'm guessing I'm going to find out in time that the attrition rate of the components you put into an ocean-going boat is to the point you're just like "fuckit, it's workin' I ain't loving doin' no more", cause that's how it appears every repair or addition to this boat was done.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put a solid 25 miles on the Binder. Made a round trip to wash the windshield and rinse it off, got lunch, and back home where it died as I was reversing it. IR temp gun had the fuel bowl at a toasty 145° F. I picked up a starter heat shield and put it between the carburetor and the thermostat/upper rad hose neck and things seem to be better, I put the bulk of the miles on after that. I was in a lot of conditions that have caused it to die in the past, warmed up and hot and then stopped at a light for a while using little gas where the bowl just boils off, and I got home without issue.

I also took a minute to check the carb settings, I had the dash pot way too low, idle was being set by the fast idle cam, not the dash pot where it should. Then I set the idle again, then set the fast idle cam and straightened a section out that had bent and it wasn't lining up. Tuned the mix screws according to the vac gage. Having the dash pot set right does make a noticible difference when I drive, it's a bit smoother when I let off the pedal.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Are you still running the OE Holley? 2210?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I did this.

I am also nowhere near done doing this. gently caress previous owners forever.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

WTFBEES posted:

I did this.

I am also nowhere near done doing this. gently caress previous owners forever.

I do not envy you. I replaced the harness in the Nova but it was pretty much all factory. There was a poorly installed radio harness but that was easy enough to yank.

Did some pretty minor stuff to the Nova today, actually. The fabric on the console has been kind of peeling back at the seam running down the front and inside the storage part so I got that rectified with some strategically placed staples. It feels good to knock out little stuff like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

These were cooler, so I think more than anything it's going to be carboned up a bit. The plugs had more carbon than I'm used to seeing, anyway.

Gonna have to give it a few Italian tuneups. :getin:

Annnnd yeah, this thing has plenty of carbon. Pings like a motherfucker once it gets heat soaked now that it has the right plugs in it.

Gave it a decent Italian tuneup on a toll road on the way home, not hearing audible pinging anymore. Figure I'll have to do that a couple of times..

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Can you run a can or two of seafoam through a vacuum line, and then another can or two in the fuel tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

Annnnd yeah, this thing has plenty of carbon. Pings like a motherfucker once it gets heat soaked now that it has the right plugs in it.

Gave it a decent Italian tuneup on a toll road on the way home, not hearing audible pinging anymore. Figure I'll have to do that a couple of times..

I don't know if tht configuration of the motor has the same EGR issues my pickup did, but it would ping like a MF, especially on "winter gas", under load until I pulled off the upper intake and hammered the carbon out of the EGR passages on what seemed like a yearly basis. (it was probably longer than that, but I owned that truck for a long time)