Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Is there an imperial measure for electricity. How many groats and farthings to a kilowatt hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I remember being shouted down ITT repeatedly both before and after the referendum whenever I mentioned wage suppression (and certain posters' biggest criticism of Corbyn being him suggesting it existed too).

Mister Fantastic
Oct 25, 2007
Fallen Rib

the sex ghost posted:

Is there an imperial measure for electricity. How many groats and farthings to a kilowatt hour

There is the btu or British Thermal Unit (not valid anywhere outside of Britane) :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And America, who use it more than Britain does. That's more of an imperial calorie though.

the sex ghost posted:

horsepower-hour or pound-foot

1 hp⋅h is 1,980,000 lbf⋅ft or about ¾ kWh

e: kWh isn't SI though, because hours use the Babylonian system, so Newton-meters would be a more correct measure of electricity usage, 1 kWh is ~3.6 MN⋅m

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 24, 2021

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

As I said the EU can do whatever it wants, I do not expect it to do anything to benefit me, my point is that I don't really see rejoining the EU as a worthwhile goal, instead I would prefer if we attempted to build an actual better society that doesn't rely on the lovely parts of the EU to paper over its failings.

The problem with this line of thinking is that we are currently around 40 or so years into a huge project which has basically removed the UKs ability to function like this. We just simply don't have the correct levels of local industry and a trained workforce to be appropriately self sufficient, and the amount of time it would take to restore that while having any real quality of life in the meantime isn't feasible. It would be truly a fantastic thing if we could wean ourselves off cheap European labour and Chinese manufactured goods, but how severe would the cost of that be in the meantime?

And regarding the EU, it really should come as no shock to anyone that there is a level of animosity present after the UK so publicly turned their nose up at it. It sucks for those of us called this stuff in advance but I cant say I wouldn't be feeling rather smug if the shoe was on the other foot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Fantastic posted:

There is the btu or British Thermal Unit (not valid anywhere outside of Britane) :britain:

Though, actually, used outside of Britain, in America for example. Benefits of once having been Top Dog Nation, innit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember being shouted down ITT repeatedly both before and after the referendum whenever I mentioned wage suppression (and certain posters' biggest criticism of Corbyn being him suggesting it existed too).

It's a tricky question, sure wages are higher when there is an acute shortage right now, but that has a lot of knock-on effects too.

Ultimately you could do the same thing for any profession by limiting how many people can do it such that there is a worker shortage, immigration or not. It doesn't necessarily make it good for everyone else.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Is this even possible as an isolated island full of terfs and tories?

An island that came within a few thousand votes of electing a Corbyn government in 2017? An island, which by all survey results, has only been getting more accepting of transgender people over time?

Politics moves in ebbs and flows, and a year feels like an eternity when you are in it. But that doesn't mean the conditions for progress don't exist - just that it won't be soon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Though, actually, used outside of Britain, in America for example. Benefits of once having been Top Dog Nation, innit.

Pretty sure the US would have amended to something like American Thermal Cups.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Freedom Heat Cups.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's an Alaskan bra manufacturer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Couple of years ago the Brits vote to keep the immigrants out, and now people itt

You realise these aren't the same people, shithead. We didn't vote for this.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Except that one guy

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
the Brits are a hivemind, you see, the queen being the primary synapse node. all votes are made unanimously, all actions have full support of every single drone unit. thusly every single brit is personally responsible for this clusterfuck. it is known

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

FiftySeven posted:

The problem with this line of thinking is that we are currently around 40 or so years into a huge project which has basically removed the UKs ability to function like this. We just simply don't have the correct levels of local industry and a trained workforce to be appropriately self sufficient, and the amount of time it would take to restore that while having any real quality of life in the meantime isn't feasible. It would be truly a fantastic thing if we could wean ourselves off cheap European labour and Chinese manufactured goods, but how severe would the cost of that be in the meantime?

Is this not a bit "everything is piss, nothing can ever be improved so let's carry on doing all the broken poo poo forever" though?

Read the Guardian article Guavanaut linked - the problem in many of these industries is not the lack of potential employees, it's that completely unfettered access to transient migrant labour has driven working conditions down to the point that only transient migrant labourers are capable of taking the jobs on.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Nothingtoseehere posted:

An island that came within a few thousand votes of electing a Corbyn government in 2017? An island, which by all survey results, has only been getting more accepting of transgender people over time?

Politics moves in ebbs and flows, and a year feels like an eternity when you are in it. But that doesn't mean the conditions for progress don't exist - just that it won't be soon.

Yeah sorry I was being flippant about the Tories and Terfs, although I'm not sure Corbyn almost winning but losing due to Labour's willingness to sabotage itself should be viewed a positive, particularly post Brexit and post 2019 GE. They are already trying to stop that ever happening again with the leadership rule change, and even if that fails I can't see another outright leftist getting to be leader within the short to medium term needed to fix this place.

I'm absolutely no fan of the EU, I just wonder if the global nature of various markets makes fixing Normal Island almost impossible as an isolated nation outside the EU. It certainly won't be done under the Tories and a Starmer Labour party won't either.

e: have an upbeat story about Bolsanaro saving Christmas https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gort posted:

Except that one guy

Did Tess abandon forums at some point?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

And America, who use it more than Britain does. That's more of an imperial calorie though.

horsepower-hour or pound-foot

1 hp⋅h is 1,980,000 lbf⋅ft or about ¾ kWh

e: kWh isn't SI though, because hours use the Babylonian system, so Newton-meters would be a more correct measure of electricity usage, 1 kWh is ~3.6 MN⋅m

That doesn't sound right at all. Newton meters is a measure of torque, I think you're missing a "/s" from your kWh to hp.

E: joules are the correct SI unit.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

nurmie posted:

the Brits are a hivemind, you see, the queen being the primary synapse node. all votes are made unanimously, all actions have full support of every single drone unit. thusly every single brit is personally responsible for this clusterfuck. it is known

poo poo, what happens when she croaks? :ohdear:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did Tess abandon forums at some point?

They posted in this thread a couple of days ago

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

peanut- posted:

Is this not a bit "everything is piss, nothing can ever be improved so let's carry on doing all the broken poo poo forever" though?

That's a fair criticism but its a problem to which a solution could be worked upon while also being back in the EU in the meantime. As it stands right now, the UK is diving head first into an ever deepening crisis, and I honestly have no idea what the solution is but "toughing it out" in the meantime isn't going to help the people who are in the worst positions.

I wish I had any sort of suggestible solution, no matter how silly but I don't think that "well, we made our bed and now we have to lay in it" is in any way the best path.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I’m not sure how it’s the EU’s problem that Priti Patel would rather see this country starve than issue the visas needed to let in any Eastern European HGV drivers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That doesn't sound right at all. Newton meters is a measure of torque, I think you're missing a "/s" from your kWh to hp.

E: joules are the correct SI unit.
Same difference:

International System of Units posted:

Joule (unit of energy or work). — The joule is the work done when the point of application of 1 MKS unit of force [newton] moves a distance of 1 metre in the direction of the force

Joules/s is Watts

That's why the imperial equivalent of a joule is a foot-pound (pound force, not pound mass), which is still relevant in UK law governing the maximum muzzle energy of an air rifle before you need a FAC, and why the imperial equivalent of a watt is the amount of energy a draft horse can turn a mill wheel in an hour, unless you're talking boiler horsepower or tax horsepower, which are different, because imperial is a very logical system.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I never understood how they accounted for the relative motivation of the horse in question. And what if it was a foreign horse?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Yeh I’m not sure how it’s the EU’s problem that Priti Patel would rather see this country starve than issue the visas needed to let in any Eastern European HGV drivers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I never understood how they accounted for the relative motivation of the horse in question. And what if it was a foreign horse?
Send the buggers back :hampants:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

Same difference:

Joules/s is Watts

That's why the imperial equivalent of a joule is a foot-pound (pound force, not pound mass), which is still relevant in UK law governing the maximum muzzle energy of an air rifle before you need a FAC, and why the imperial equivalent of a watt is the amount of energy a draft horse can turn a mill wheel in an hour, unless you're talking boiler horsepower or tax horsepower, which are different, because imperial is a very logical system.

Huh you're right, but use of Nm for energy is apparently "discouraged" precisely because of this confusion! That explains why I'd never heard of it despite having (ages ago) studied various bits of mechanics in maths. Except maybe as a "don't do this" I guess.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone feeling particularly :tinfoil: should check out the air traffic over London today on Flightradar24.

A photo-surveillance aircraft doing repeated passes over east London (taking it through the takeoff route from London City, repeatedly), a shitload of "No callsign" helicopter traffic going straight through the Westminster restricted airspace (including single-engine choppers which aren't normally permitted over London at all other than along the river - and *no* chopper traffic is supposed to enter London without ATC clearance) and at one point three different literal black helicopters buzzing around between Westminster and the area the surveillance aircraft was flying over.

*Something* is going on but I really don't know what.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is Liz doing another helicopter jump?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Huh you're right, but use of Nm for energy is apparently "discouraged" precisely because of this confusion! That explains why I'd never heard of it despite having (ages ago) studied various bits of mechanics in maths. Except maybe as a "don't do this" I guess.
The imperial solution is to use foot-pound for energy and pound-foot for torque, thereby preventing confusion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone feeling particularly :tinfoil: should check out the air traffic over London today on Flightradar24.

A photo-surveillance aircraft doing repeated passes over east London (taking it through the takeoff route from London City, repeatedly), a shitload of "No callsign" helicopter traffic going straight through the Westminster restricted airspace (including single-engine choppers which aren't normally permitted over London at all other than along the river - and *no* chopper traffic is supposed to enter London without ATC clearance) and at one point three different literal black helicopters buzzing around between Westminster and the area the surveillance aircraft was flying over.

London Bridge Is Down

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Good on Gibbo for getting a helicopter licence.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sounds spicy

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

happyhippy posted:

London Bridge Is Down

Has Gibbo said anything?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

London Bridge Is Down

I literally had a dream about that last night and had to double-check the BBC site this morning to check it was actually just a dream.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I literally had a dream about that last night and had to double-check the BBC site this morning to check it was actually just a dream.

Lathe Of Heaven was the only thing that could take Liz out

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

happyhippy posted:

London Bridge Is Down

Can we have the rest of the day off if it is? Today's dragging

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lathe Of Heaven was the only thing that could take Liz out

God I hope I don't have that sort of power because the night before I dreamed about a clumsy German policeman shooting me in the bollocks by accident when he was showing me his gun wasn't loaded.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bastani trying to get Tim Shipman'd

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1441365045951143944?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All of the choppers seem to have buggered off, but now there's a Spitfire heading towards south London which makes my dreams of German brutality suddenly much more real