Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d be down to raid again but I don’t have the regular schedule or raw number or hours to play like that anymore. drat kids and job and home ownership...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm only considering it in FFXIV cuz it's 8-man with single boss encounters, personally. I watched a couple vids of people raiding MC in classic WoW and :laffo: no way I'd do that poo poo ever again.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kaysette posted:

I’d be down to raid again but I don’t have the regular schedule or raw number or hours to play like that anymore. drat kids and job and home ownership...

Pretty much this. Everyone in our MMO-playing generations has time sinks of their own now (family, career, home).

Meanwhile, everyone in younger generations has been raised on different poo poo (e.g. MOBAs and battle royales).

There’s many reasons MMOs are a dying genre, but one big factor is that the people who have time don’t like MMOs, and the people who like MMOs don’t have time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.lotro.com/en/getready

If anyone's interested in checking out LOTRO, all the quest packs are free right now.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Final Fantasy 14's 'Alliance Raids' are the best except for the people gaming it to always get the lowest level easiest ones.

3 parties of 8 so the field looks like a clusterfuck, but the stakes are incredibly low and one competent party could carry a whole fight while the other two are mostly dead. Everything looks nuts but (aside from some rare mechanics) you can almost never wipe or horribly screw up the entire raid.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I did the latest FFXIV expansion's raid content raiding 2-4 hours per week, which felt about the correct amount of raiding for a non-NEET in their 30s, at that point it's not really much different from a weekly hobby and I somehow find time for those. That said though I only did what's called extreme trials and savage raids, which are the bread-and-butter hard 8-person content. That schedule does not include any of the 3 Ultimate fights currently in the game, which are particularly hard challenge fights.

On top of the raid schedule I'd spend maybe a scattered hour or two over the course of the week doing stuff like running the easier endgame content in pick-up groups or other poo poo for endgame currency, which would also generally bankroll me the small amount of gil needed to pay for raid consumables.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.lotro.com/en/getready

If anyone's interested in checking out LOTRO, all the quest packs are free right now.

:siren:this is an insane deal:siren:

If you like lotr or the hobbit at all, I strongly encourage you to check this out. It’s really amazing to see Tolkien’s world come to life. It has some old MMO warts but it’s worth it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

looked at burglars and they have a skill that just makes people sneeze for no reason and that rules. dunno if i have time to actually play it but im picking that up

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My last attempt to play lotro fizzled out but I'm gonna grab all this stuff as soon as I get home because goddamn

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

quote:

Skirmishes can be played solo or with up to 11 friends and AI Soldiers which are customizable characters that can aid you in battle and range from archers and healers to damage dealers and defenders.

Are the AI soldiers like gw1 henchmen? Or more like heroes?

Edit: thought I should clarify; do the ai soldiers allow you customize their abilities/rotations/gear or are they more just grab and go?

Keegers fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 24, 2021

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Keegers posted:

Are the AI soldiers like gw1 henchmen? Or more like heroes?

Edit: thought I should clarify; do the ai soldiers allow you customize their abilities/rotations/gear or are they more just grab and go?

You can customize abilities and appearance. I haven’t done skirmish stuff in a while but here’s how the soldiers work: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Skirmish_Soldier#Customization

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What grindy mmos play well with a controller? I have pinched an arm nerve and am trying to limit my keyboard/mouse time to work hours. I just want something that I can zone out and listen to audio books, but it turns out the only PC arpg with controller support is torchlight 3, which, ugh.

I know ff14 has controller support, and bdo. Are there any others worth knowing?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I think ESO has fairly good controller support.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Kaysette posted:

:siren:this is an insane deal:siren:

If you like lotr or the hobbit at all, I strongly encourage you to check this out. It’s really amazing to see Tolkien’s world come to life. It has some old MMO warts but it’s worth it.

I can't find where to redeem the code? I made an account but the website only lets me see.my payment options.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I put it into the in-game store.

Of course now it won't accept my card for the discounted stuff which is annoying...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

30.5 Days posted:

What grindy mmos play well with a controller? I have pinched an arm nerve and am trying to limit my keyboard/mouse time to work hours. I just want something that I can zone out and listen to audio books, but it turns out the only PC arpg with controller support is torchlight 3, which, ugh.

I know ff14 has controller support, and bdo. Are there any others worth knowing?

Grim dawn has controller support. FF14 is the best with controller. I think Torchlight 2 has controller support on PC?

FF11 if you’re into weirdo poo poo that seemed dated and esoteric as gently caress at launch, controller works just fine in that one and with the XIVhotbar mod it’s supposed to be real easy going. But I can do a bunch of drugs and level up in that game for hours and not feel bad about it one bit.

Diablo 3 is good with controllers if you have a switch or PS or something.

If you really want a fun time running around slaying a billion dudes, Ys is a good ARPG series that’s as anime as it is fun and it is very fun and it is very anime.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

My last attempt to play lotro fizzled out but I'm gonna grab all this stuff as soon as I get home because goddamn

Update: This is taking a weirdly long time to download so maybe it'll be tomorrow that I grab all this stuff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is an old game that is almost as bad as DDO for patching.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
steam downloads most of the game for you, then the patcher finishes the last couple hundred megs, so use that imo. since it's f2p you just need to click play on the steam store

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

jokes posted:

Grim dawn has controller support. FF14 is the best with controller. I think Torchlight 2 has controller support on PC?

FF11 if you’re into weirdo poo poo that seemed dated and esoteric as gently caress at launch, controller works just fine in that one and with the XIVhotbar mod it’s supposed to be real easy going. But I can do a bunch of drugs and level up in that game for hours and not feel bad about it one bit.

Diablo 3 is good with controllers if you have a switch or PS or something.

If you really want a fun time running around slaying a billion dudes, Ys is a good ARPG series that’s as anime as it is fun and it is very fun and it is very anime.

T2 has the same support that like PoE has (steam controller config can simulate button and mouse clicks with a weird degree of intelligence) except it has a workshop so people have made workshop mods to put the buttons into the UI. But it still sucks rear end to try and play using "controller support" that swipes your mouse around and clicks all over the place. As you might imagine there are a lot of loving edge cases that make it obnoxious to use.

I'll check out Ys and Grim dawn.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I went out of the house for a while so it was done downloading when I got back, but thanks for the tips anyway!

I snapped up all the expansions and quest packs except for, I guess, the most recent two, since they're not 99 Tolkien Tokens (also, why did they not call the cash shop currency "Tolkien Tokens"???? :colbert:)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tolkens

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If grindy KMMOs are your jam, Black Desert and Tera both support them (both work a bit better on console than PC but it's fine). Blade and Soul usually does but they skipped it for the UE4 update and are working on it now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For LOTRO, my email account is used for a Dungeons and Dragons Online subscription but I cant seem to use it for LOTRO to log in, or add on LOTRO to the existing account. Is there a good way to do this easier?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I had that issue awhile ago and I don't remember if I found an issue at all. I think I ended up making another account.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh dang I need to grab that LOTRO deal, last thing I had was Mines of Moria.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I spent summer 2020 doing everything from Mirkwood through Minas Ithil. It has its ups and downs but it’s a shitload of content and it feels so good to escape to middle earth. I also just really love my lore master.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im feeling like getting lotro and just like, level capping myself at each zone and just exploring the stories and stuff, i love lotr, but i dunno if the game writing holds up

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Is anyone planning on trying out Book of Travels? It opens for early access today in a few hours: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/

However, I pre-ordered so I was able to play a bit beforehand, and the game seems interesting and different. A bit slow so far, but I only messed around a bit for a few hours because I didn't realize that backers had early access.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It sounds pretty neat, I'll try it out for sure.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was planning on trying it out.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I learned about it a couple of months ago and have been curious what it’s like, looking forward to reading what people think about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its not explicitly an mmo but has anyone tried riders republic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pragmatica posted:

Is anyone planning on trying out Book of Travels? It opens for early access today in a few hours: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/

However, I pre-ordered so I was able to play a bit beforehand, and the game seems interesting and different. A bit slow so far, but I only messed around a bit for a few hours because I didn't realize that backers had early access.

im planning on trying it out, it looks like a different experience at least

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whos gonna make the goon guild that collapses within a week

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Book of Travels? I already have that game, it's called New World.

queeb posted:

whos gonna make the goon guild that collapses within a week

Well, it won't be the person who USUALLY makes them, that's for sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadget posted:

Book of Travels? I already have that game, it's called New World.

are you saying you don't love picking up a quest and travelling a quarter of the way across the world to kill 5 mobs and then going back to turn it in

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

eonwe posted:

are you saying you don't love picking up a quest and travelling a quarter of the way across the world to kill 5 mobs and then going back to turn it in

how do i get a blue name

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
hah, i will make a thread if i end up sticking to it if no one else does. we will see if it captures me at all first.

this weekend when i was reading through more of the info on it (when i realized i could play early, ugh) there was an NDA not to stream or release any content. that should be lifted today, so i might try to stream some this week when i have time. its very different and doesn't have guilds or things like that, servers are very small with only a few people on them.

so, if goons did want to play together, we would probably need to find a way to coordinate getting on the same server together. i am not really sure how all that works yet with their weird system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

30.5 Days posted:

Bless Unleashed (don't laugh).

Native controller support, including UI and everything, and unlike FF14 it is an action MMO with combat actually suited to a controller.

(Disclaimer: I have only tried it briefly yesterday. From what I hear it's not a very good game)