Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sagacity posted:

Well, I assume it's not literally the text "client" and "secret"?

But isn't it the same when you use a key for accessing the Google Maps API from your website?

When I wrote that it's a base64 representation of literally "client:secret", I meant that yes, it is literally the text "client" and "secret":

I believe this API does have other controls for access, so you can't use this API "key" as you'd like and the account you're using also needs the API role enabled on their end, but still, this is the key I was given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Haha okay. Serves me right for overestimating the competence of third parties. Lesson learned!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tei posted:

Writing bad code is like spitting straight up. It may feel good for a second, but then the spit lands on your face again.

Writing bad code would be like get asked to wear adult diapers with poo poo in it, and then travel like that from New York to San Francisco.

Is real bad for your mental health.

Can't you find a thread in gbs or pyf to post your kinks in?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Can't you find a thread in gbs or pyf to post your kinks in?

You mean me? or for your pleasure?

I was trying to say that in other job, like... making food, if the food is horrible, too bad, you don't have to eat it, but when you are writing a program, you will have to read and work for it for a long time, and if is a hellscape, is going to lower your quality of life for a long time.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hammerite posted:

Everyone has a certain number of lines of bad code in them that they have to write before they can write good code

For some people it is more and for some people it is less but everyone has to get the bad code out of their system before they can start producing good code. I sincerely believe it

Believing that you can "get the bad code out of your system" is how you get into this thread.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Xarn posted:

Believing that you can "get the bad code out of your system" is how you get into this thread.

The goal is to get bad code out of my system and in to their systems.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I need to contribute to this thread. I'll have to see if I can dig some code up from early on.

Like writing a bot for a chat site and hardcoding my credentials into it, which I then uploaded to GitHub, rather than, say, a JSON stored locally only.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Xarn posted:

Believing that you can "get the bad code out of your system" is how you get into FOSS maintenance.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Xarn posted:

Not believing it is how you become unemployable at 40.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My code probably sucks. The best I can do is make sure it does what it's supposed to do now, that it makes sense to me, and that I structure+document it well enough that it will make sense to whoever has to deal with it later, including future me.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Our project is like working on the bus in Speed. I've submitted some of my worst code to it, but hey if that wheel didn't get replaced we wouldn't have been able to take that turn.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
  • identified a minor issue with a part of Azure DevOps's web interface and decided to request an improvement
  • googled "azure devops bug"
  • found this page: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/support/devops/
  • clicked the link that says "report an on-premises bug"
  • the link takes me to a Bing search page
  • tried a shortened form of the URL. that doesn't send me to the Bing search page, but instead results in this:

quote:

Sorry, but we’re having trouble with signing you in.

AADSTS50020: User account 'myname@mycompany.com' from identity provider 'https://sts.windows.net/some-guid/' does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft' and cannot access the application 'some-other-guid'(RedirectionUxProd) in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account.

loving hell. never mind

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
a thing that is ungoogleable: how to file a bug in the bug-tracker for a piece of software that itself features bug-tracking functionality

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Gödel’s incompleteness theorem, but for bug trackers

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hammerite posted:

• identified a minor issue with a part of Azure DevOps's web interface and decided to request an improvement
  • googled "azure devops bug"
  • found this page: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/support/devops/
  • clicked the link that says "report an on-premises bug"
  • the link takes me to a Bing search page
  • tried a shortened form of the URL. that doesn't send me to the Bing search page, but instead results in this:

loving hell. never mind

I have never like how Microsoft does things. It appears the systems are a bunch of disjointed products every one build by different people, nobody really care about the user. The global experience is bad because the systems separate enough you can fall in the cracks, to be never seen again.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 24, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tei posted:

I have never like how Microsoft does things. It appears the systems are a bunch of disjointed products every one build by different people, nobody really care about the user. The global experience is bad because the systems separate enough you can fall in the cracks, to be never seen again.

I have bad news for you about every software company

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Volmarias posted:

I have bad news for you about every software company

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hammerite posted:

identified a minor issue with a part of Azure DevOps's web interface and decided to request an improvement

Don't bother, Microsoft's investment on Azure DevOps is basically zero at this point other than keeping the lights on. The bulk of their development team has shifted to GitHub.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
One of my friends who is a designer just messaged me, thought I'd share.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

DaTroof posted:

Not believing it is how you become unemployable at 40.

??

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

I was being overly reactionary to a statement that I felt was overly defeatist.

The way I interpret "getting the bad code out of your system" is that there are certain rookie mistakes that most programmers will make at the beginning of their careers, and the only reliable way to get past that hump is with practical experience. I don't take it to mean that anyone will reach a point where their code is 100% unimpeachable.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You never get the bad code out of your system. You just get better at making your bad code standards-compliant.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Presto posted:

You never get the bad code out of your system. You just get better at making your bad code standards-compliant.

I write the organization's standards such that my bad code is compliant by default. :smug:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Tei posted:

Yeah I had to do something with Azure for a quick five minute thing and once I saw the mess that is the management pages I think I had a stroke.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Tei posted:

Conway's Law, ftw.

If you read old the Joel Spolsky blog you learn that the Excel team was so independent they maintained their own C compiler.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

One of my friends who is a designer just messaged me, thought I'd share.

This reminds me when at my old place devs put in a system that would strip out javascript comments using regexp - everything beginning with // to end of line and everything between /* and */. Unfortunately this meant that hardcoded urls like http://foo.bar would be stripped out and http: would be left to be loaded. The solution? Replace hardcoded url with http:\/\/foo.bar.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
TFW you write an email to a person named Jason and you nearly address them as "JSON"

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

canis minor posted:

This reminds me when at my old place devs put in a system that would strip out javascript comments using regexp - everything beginning with // to end of line and everything between /* and */. Unfortunately this meant that hardcoded urls like http://foo.bar would be stripped out and http: would be left to be loaded. The solution? Replace hardcoded url with http:\/\/foo.bar.

That reminds me of an old version of the Oracle Managed Data Access (.NET) client that stripped out comments (for unknown reasons) by removing everything after a "--" in a given line with absolutely zero SQL syntax parsing and also stripping out all /* */ comment blocks.

The first had the hilarious consequence of obviously breaking queries such as this:
SQL code:
  SELECT foo 
    FROM bar 
   WHERE xyz = '-- Some Text --'
ORDER BY foo
Which was then executed as:
SQL code:
  SELECT foo 
    FROM bar 
   WHERE xyz = '
ORDER BY foo
The second one made it so you were actually unable to include query optimizer hints, which are - you might've guessed it - placed inside queries via comment blocks a la:
SQL code:
  SELECT /*+ HINT_GOES_HERE */ foo 
    FROM bar
Presumably those would've also broken queries if /* was placed inside a string literal, but I can't remember if I ever tested that.

I think they later "fixed" this by only removing comments when they were placed at the start of the line (so it might still partially happen if you format queries including optimizer hints in a certain way). Why they do this to begin with I have no idea. Maybe some people include kilobytes worth of comments in ad-hoc queries that they attempted to strip out to save network bandwidth?? In either case, just futzing around in a query like that with zero regards for syntax is truly amateur hour level poo poo. Maybe they made the interns code their .NET client, who knows.

Another thing I remember is that some regex they execute on the query had (maybe still has?) terrible performance if you happened to include a bunch of consecutive whitespace anywhere in it. I found that out because some query processing code of a third party framework that we use for supporting our old legacy application (that was machine-ported from a now long dead application language to .NET) happened to strip certain custom pseudo-SQL syntax by overriding it with spaces instead of removing it from the string - probably to not chance loving up any converted code that relied on precomputed string indices, so technically a wise choice. The result of that was that a query including e.g. 500-1000? spaces anywhere inside it took like 4 seconds of 100% CPU time on one core doing nothing but processing that regex. Granted, that's something I fault Oracle less for as that's a really weird scenario to begin with. But then again why do they insist on doing so much "client-side" processing at all? Just let the friggin Oracle server deal with that poo poo, so you don't unnecessarily eat CPU on every query you execute.

Oh yeah and the hilarious default behavior to not bind DB parameters by name but by index instead. You heard right, by default the order you add the parameters to the command must match the order they appear in the query in. That sure was a headscratcher why random queries suddenly broke after converting from the native to the managed client. Thankfully that was easily fixed with a single setting. The reason they do that btw is that they don't know what hash lookups are and if your query contains a larger amount of DB parameters (e.g. the generated insert statement for a wide record) then their internally executed linear array lookups to find the parameter by name will start taking up a significant amount of time when you do repeated inserts. So to avoid that let's just default to index instead, problem solved. If you use names it's your own drat fault. Oh but of course instantiating a dictionary for fast lookup when needed would be such a huge overhead... better save that so we have more time executing multiple regexes per query to do who-knows-what.

TL;DR Oracle is poo poo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tei posted:

The thing that gets me about Microsoft is how often it seems like the different products aren't just made by totally disconnected groups, but by groups that are actively hostile to one another. The wild swings in the direction of Windows feels like the result of some crazy pre-unification Japan style civil strife.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The thing that gets me about Microsoft is how often it seems like the different products aren't just made by totally disconnected groups, but by groups that are actively hostile to one another. The wild swings in the direction of Windows feels like the result of some crazy pre-unification Japan style civil strife.

From everything I hear about the internal politics of Microsoft, this is literally exactly what's happening, and it's on purpose. Teams are encouraged to compete with each other, because your individual success depends on your team doing "better" than other teams. This is even true for different feature teams on the same product. I don't know how they've ever shipped anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think that officially that's less true than it used to be, but a lot of long-time employees still have that mentality.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I think that officially that's less true than it used to be, but a lot of long-time employees still have that mentality.

Perhaps they're like European nations, different cultures being friendly across borders hammered out with blood.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ola posted:

Perhaps they're like European nations, different cultures being friendly across borders hammered out with blood.

Looking forward to Excit

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SirViver posted:

That reminds me of an old version of the Oracle Managed Data Access (.NET) client that stripped out comments (for unknown reasons) by removing everything after a "--" in a given line with absolutely zero SQL syntax parsing and also stripping out all /* */ comment blocks.

The first had the hilarious consequence of obviously breaking queries such as this:
SQL code:
  SELECT foo 
    FROM bar 
   WHERE xyz = '-- Some Text --'
ORDER BY foo
Which was then executed as:
SQL code:
  SELECT foo 
    FROM bar 
   WHERE xyz = '
ORDER BY foo
The second one made it so you were actually unable to include query optimizer hints, which are - you might've guessed it - placed inside queries via comment blocks a la:
SQL code:
  SELECT /*+ HINT_GOES_HERE */ foo 
    FROM bar
Presumably those would've also broken queries if /* was placed inside a string literal, but I can't remember if I ever tested that.

I think they later "fixed" this by only removing comments when they were placed at the start of the line (so it might still partially happen if you format queries including optimizer hints in a certain way). Why they do this to begin with I have no idea. Maybe some people include kilobytes worth of comments in ad-hoc queries that they attempted to strip out to save network bandwidth?? In either case, just futzing around in a query like that with zero regards for syntax is truly amateur hour level poo poo. Maybe they made the interns code their .NET client, who knows.

Another thing I remember is that some regex they execute on the query had (maybe still has?) terrible performance if you happened to include a bunch of consecutive whitespace anywhere in it. I found that out because some query processing code of a third party framework that we use for supporting our old legacy application (that was machine-ported from a now long dead application language to .NET) happened to strip certain custom pseudo-SQL syntax by overriding it with spaces instead of removing it from the string - probably to not chance loving up any converted code that relied on precomputed string indices, so technically a wise choice. The result of that was that a query including e.g. 500-1000? spaces anywhere inside it took like 4 seconds of 100% CPU time on one core doing nothing but processing that regex. Granted, that's something I fault Oracle less for as that's a really weird scenario to begin with. But then again why do they insist on doing so much "client-side" processing at all? Just let the friggin Oracle server deal with that poo poo, so you don't unnecessarily eat CPU on every query you execute.

Oh yeah and the hilarious default behavior to not bind DB parameters by name but by index instead. You heard right, by default the order you add the parameters to the command must match the order they appear in the query in. That sure was a headscratcher why random queries suddenly broke after converting from the native to the managed client. Thankfully that was easily fixed with a single setting. The reason they do that btw is that they don't know what hash lookups are and if your query contains a larger amount of DB parameters (e.g. the generated insert statement for a wide record) then their internally executed linear array lookups to find the parameter by name will start taking up a significant amount of time when you do repeated inserts. So to avoid that let's just default to index instead, problem solved. If you use names it's your own drat fault. Oh but of course instantiating a dictionary for fast lookup when needed would be such a huge overhead... better save that so we have more time executing multiple regexes per query to do who-knows-what.

TL;DR Oracle is poo poo.

I literally wrote my thesis on solving the problem of properly stripping comments out of SQL Queries.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

I literally wrote my thesis on solving the problem of properly stripping comments out of SQL Queries.

Wow, right here in our little thread this whole time was a real-life world renowned expert in getting shoved into lockers

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Uh, that shouldn't surprise you

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mycoliza/status/1446238022949695521

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oh, that Travis again.