Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

indigi posted:

molten salt reactors were “figured out” in the 80s in the sense that a few tiny test ones were built and never iterated upon, I don’t think thorium had even been tried until this century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300
Edit: Though it is true that we basically gave up on reactor designs in the years after Chernobyl.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Sep 24, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

genericnick posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300
Edit: Though it is true that we basically gave up on reactor designs in the years after Chernobyl.

yeah but that’s not a molten salt reactor, which is the key design improvement

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

indigi posted:

yeah but that’s not a molten salt reactor, which is the key design improvement

Ah, you mean thorium for molten salt reactors, misread you. Yeah, don't think there was one.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Ah, you mean thorium for molten salt reactors, misread you. Yeah, don't think there was one.

Yeah, it seems a pretty important step, taking both the pressure and uranium fuel out of the system. Honestly, it is probably the closest we are going to get to the safety of fusion with any sort of practically before climate change really makes life difficult.

The question is of course going to be about scale.

—-

So what are the odds that China gets long-distance maglev and molten salt-thorium reactors going before California can built HSR between Bakersfield and Merced?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Sep 24, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s still kind of funny to me that in 2021 with nuclear technology unfathomable to people in the 17th century our main method for generating power is still turning a liquid into a gas which then spins something else

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's physics for you, got to spin stuff to get electricity.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That's how nuclear power works too

e: some of them like Brunswick have the official name "Brunswick Steam Electric Plant"

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Sep 24, 2021

Serf
May 5, 2011

i remember being a kid and thinking that nuclear power like fueled things with radiation somehow and being disappointed when we went to the local nuclear plant on a field trip and they explained that it was just electricity

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OH gently caress OH poo poo

HELL YES

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rutibex posted:

what the hell china has thorium reactors now :psyduck:

chinese scientists are going to announce fusion power is 10 years away, then in ten years they will actually unveil the first power plant

wtf is a thorium reactor and why is it significant?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agrajag posted:

it means china did a shitload of loops around un'goro and got to exalted with the thorium brotherhood, something no other world power is willing to do

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Serf posted:

i remember being a kid and thinking that nuclear power like fueled things with radiation somehow and being disappointed when we went to the local nuclear plant on a field trip and they explained that it was just electricity

Nuclear power on spacecraft kinda work differently, but ultimately it's still "heat up a thing and turn it into a gas"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

But if China bans crypto what are they gonna use all that energy on

When Xi Dah Dah peacefully reunify Taiwan, they will switch most of the fossil fuel consumption to thorium-nuclear electric

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Agrajag posted:

a thorium reactor (of whatever type) is significant because it uses thorium instead of enriched uranium and produces a lot less radioactive waste, one of the (if not the) worst things about nuclear power. a molten salt reactor takes the high pressure out of the cooling/power generation system which removes another of the more dangerous things from nuclear power (potential for explosive failures). combined, it’s pretty much best case scenario for cheap, consistent, abundant power generation

it’s been years since I’ve kept up on this stuff so I can’t really give any technical details or whatever but that’s the important broad strokes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was always lead to believe that we were at a critical juncture like ~70 years ago where we had two options on how to develop nuclear energy. Uranium or molten salts, one of them was safer, had more materials to produce energy for longer periods of time, couldn't be weaponized, etc. Well we chose uranium because it COULD be weaponized despite all the other cons.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was always lead to believe that we were at a critical juncture like ~70 years ago where we had two options on how to develop nuclear energy. Uranium or molten salts, one of them was safer, had more materials to produce energy for longer periods of time, couldn't be weaponized, etc. Well we chose uranium because it COULD be weaponized despite all the other cons.

I’m pretty sure most molten salt reactors have used uranium

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

indigi posted:

a thorium reactor (of whatever type) is significant because it uses thorium instead of enriched uranium and produces a lot less radioactive waste, one of the (if not the) worst things about nuclear power. a molten salt reactor takes the high pressure out of the cooling/power generation system which removes another of the more dangerous things from nuclear power (potential for explosive failures). combined, it’s pretty much best case scenario for cheap, consistent, abundant power generation

it’s been years since I’ve kept up on this stuff so I can’t really give any technical details or whatever but that’s the important broad strokes

man that poo poo sounds amazing

having that sort of nuclear power is an absurd economic game changer wtf

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

indigi posted:

Honestly waste is a red herring. We know how to deal with waste. It's a PR problem, not an engineering one.

The bigger thing is non-proliferation. Uranium solid fuel reactors are step one in making a nuclear weapon, which means the "We have the bomb and you don't" crew doesn't like dirty non-bomb-havers building reactors.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Honestly waste is a red herring. We know how to deal with waste. It's a PR problem, not an engineering one.

The bigger thing is non-proliferation. Uranium solid fuel reactors are step one in making a nuclear weapon, which means the "We have the bomb and you don't" crew doesn't like dirty non-bomb-havers building reactors.

burying it in bunkers isn’t what I’d call “knowing how to deal with it” but even in that case I agree that it poses very little danger to humans (barring unforeseen natural disaster or some absurd level of terrorism)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m pretty sure most molten salt reactors have used uranium

I meant thorium molten salt reactors. I went back and read about it and yeah, off by a few years but we had a running experimental reactor in the mid 60s, so the actual scientific theory was probably written up in the 50s. And this is a note from someone that knew the guy championing thorium over uranium at the time:

quote:

Weinberg realized that you could use thorium in an entirely new kind of reactor, one that would have zero risk of meltdown. ... his team built a working reactor ... and he spent the rest of his 18-year tenure trying to make thorium the heart of the nation's atomic power effort. He failed. Uranium reactors had already been established, and Hyman Rickover, de facto head of the US nuclear program, wanted the plutonium from uranium-powered nuclear plants to make bombs. Increasingly shunted aside, Weinberg was finally forced out in 1973

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
lmao looks like crypto nerds are losing their poo poo on reddit and theyre coming up with weird conspiracy theories

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

indigi posted:

burying it in bunkers isn’t what I’d call “knowing how to deal with it” but even in that case I agree that it poses very little danger to humans (barring unforeseen natural disaster or some absurd level of terrorism)

unless you have a way to accelerate radioactive decay by a thousand fold, burying it is how to deal with it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unless you have a way to accelerate radioactive decay by a thousand fold, burying it is how to deal with it

one weird trick to dealing with nuclear waste is not to create it in the first place

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just make reactors that work off nuclear waste, ez

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

indigi posted:

one weird trick to dealing with nuclear waste is not to create it in the first place

oh you have a carbon free energy cycle that can meet modern energy demand then?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Just make reactors that work off nuclear waste, ez

actually could you just shoot neutrons at the waste until its all non-radioactive daughter particles?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually could you just shoot neutrons at the waste until its all non-radioactive daughter particles?

You have essentially just described nuclear fuel reprocessing. The problem there is the same though. It makes bomb food.

So the old "dig a big hole" strategy is still the easiest.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Right now we build giant concrete and steel casks to hold the material onsite. An entire storage yard (isfsi) that holds a lifetime of waste might take up 2-5 acres.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i thought reprocessing was just digging through fuel rods for uranium atoms that didn't get hit by neutrons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh you have a carbon free energy cycle that can meet modern energy demand then?

yeah put a big mirror in front of a glass bottle of water and boil it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i thought reprocessing was just digging through fuel rods for uranium atoms that didn't get hit by neutrons

how would one accomplish this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

indigi posted:

how would one accomplish this

well the ones that didn't get hit are still uranium so you can chemically separate them

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A very small shovel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

brugroffil posted:

Right now we build giant concrete and steel casks to hold the material onsite. An entire storage yard (isfsi) that holds a lifetime of waste might take up 2-5 acres.

but hackers can turn that into a dirty bomb

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's chemically separating the spicy atoms from the non-spicy. Then you can feed the leftover spicy boyz into a breeder reactor and generate more power. In the end you're left with a tiny amount of waste for an insane amount of energy.

It's all quite expensive though and someone might make a bomb, so instead we're just dumping megatons of radioactive waste into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol that the threat of Communism justified the accumulation of nuclear weapons over progress in nuclear energy, and that this leads to falling behind Communism in this area decades later.