Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I'm sure that most of the channel know this, but my favourite Combs thing is that he has this incredibly recognisable voice, and it's not his real speaking voice, it's his "acting voice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No talk about how Mariner really did gently caress Boimler over with the assignment?

That was some goddamn bullshit on her part.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No talk about how Mariner really did gently caress Boimler over with the assignment?

I bet they will bring it back. They seem to build on stuff like this and use it over time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well on the Titan they would have used it by now :colbert:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

she did get shot for it

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I must have missed a detail or something, but what was the result of the data upload to the padd? Did I miss something or is that a sequel hook? Because more of that particular guest voice is more than welcome and if this a way to bring him back....

Or I just missed something. More likely.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: ^^ it's how the AI got the record it showed Boimler. Yeah I assumed that 'upload' meant what you thought it meant too but that's the reasonable chain of events.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So I've hit the 'Mariner is an awful person' drum a lot but I think that if you are going to do that kind of character then this episode was the way to do it - this wasn't like other episodes where Mariner Causes The Problem because she's being zany and immature, she has a believable motive, is called out for it and the show uses that to move the relationship between Mariner and Boimler forward a bit and in an interesting way ('you are sabotaging me because you hate the fact that I'm moving past you' - that's true!), and the episode establishes for the audience that she's wrong about Boimler.

I still think there needs to be a reckoning for Mariner because the other characters should have long been finished with her poo poo.

I liked this episode a lot for the same reasons others have given; when it isn't trying to force unfunny jokes and is riffing off the absurdity of Trek stories without having characters shout the explicit references at the screen then it's very watchable. I didn't think it was laugh-out-loud funny but I had a smile on my face for pretty much the whole time.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 24, 2021

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ it's how the AIgot the record it showed Boimler. Yeah I assumed that 'upload' meant what you thought it meant too but that's the reasonable chain of events.

Ahh, that's logical, but somehow flew over my head. But that's fine, I was sitting with a poo poo eating grin listening to Coombs ham it up the entire time and that was more important.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phylodox posted:

Could have been worse. Could have been black licorice, salty, Dutch.

That's the best kind, this aggression against innocent licorice will not stand :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Humans: Samanthan, Bradward, Andarithio.

Kzinti: Taylor. Andorian: Jennifer.

Wait, where was it said that Taylor was the Kzin's name?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

galenanorth posted:

hahaha, good catch

I'm partial to bottom-center, that one looks pissed off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just rewatching the episode.

How does anyone ever survive a shuttle crash when you’re sitting in a big easy chair with no seatbelts.

“Brace for impact” more like “brace for your face imminently impacting the front of the shuttle”

yes yes it’s TV i’m over it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't plan to attempt to explain the particulars but I imagine something something inertial dampeners something something artificial gravity

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ it's how the AI got the record it showed Boimler. Yeah I assumed that 'upload' meant what you thought it meant too but that's the reasonable chain of events.

So I've hit the 'Mariner is an awful person' drum a lot but I think that if you are going to do that kind of character then this episode was the way to do it - this wasn't like other episodes where Mariner Causes The Problem because she's being zany and immature, she has a believable motive, is called out for it and the show uses that to move the relationship between Mariner and Boimler forward a bit and in an interesting way ('you are sabotaging me because you hate the fact that I'm moving past you' - that's true!), and the episode establishes for the audience that she's wrong about Boimler.

I still think there needs to be a reckoning for Mariner because the other characters should have long been finished with her poo poo.

I liked this episode a lot for the same reasons others have given; when it isn't trying to force unfunny jokes and is riffing off the absurdity of Trek stories without having characters shout the explicit references at the screen then it's very watchable. I didn't think it was laugh-out-loud funny but I had a smile on my face for pretty much the whole time.

Yea the only major change I’d make to this episode is to get rid of the dumb zany lines that are dated today and doesn’t track with the Star Trek future. Lines like the one from the slutty larper who wants to bang the dragon prince thing.

The show is okay when it’s not trying to be funny.

Edit - like, making the concept of virginity humorous is weird. Star Trek, a universe where we have explicit things about baldness not mattering because while we could reverse it, except by then nobody would care to. Same thing for virginity, though? Why would anybody give a poo poo about it one way or the other in the enlightened humanity? It’s not funny it’s just... sad that the writers think it’s funny. It’s not egregious it’s just really low hanging fruit.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 24, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

I agree. This was Mariner sincerely believing she was protecting her friend from getting in over his head and absolutely being wrong and loving it up.

Boimler's finally turning into an actual Star Fleet officer and she needs grow the hell up. This was a level beyond her tendency to self-sabotage so she never needs to move forward and leave everyone behind and into the realm of actively holding her friends back so they stay with her.

Not to downplay just how serious a move it was on Boimler's part, but one phaser blast isn't going to cut it to have that 'reckoning' that is long past due.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Crusader posted:

she did get shot for it

Yeah, it really comes down to this. Getting stunned and Boims going on to solve the problem himself is Mariner's comeuppance for this particular scenario, while her underlying vulnerability is a wider character arc thing with a resolution beyond the scope of this episode, that feels more like season finale or next season's premiere material. One more line with the attaboy fist bump or in the runabout at the end maybe could've helped, but they have time, I don't think they need to rush this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The few virginity jokes are entirely in service of the overall plot and incredibly minor. Also the concept is played a lot straighter than you make it seem - I don't think anybody on the ship is shown to be anything but totally supportive of it.

And goofily overwrought horniness is like a Trek staple, I really don't see a problem here

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The few virginity jokes are entirely in service of the overall plot and incredibly minor. Also the concept is played a lot straighter than you make it seem - I don't think anybody on the ship is shown to be anything but totally supportive of it.

And goofily overwrought horniness is like a Trek staple, I really don't see a problem here

What I noticed is that the show seemed embarrassed to be making the jokes in the first place. They were reluctant and the voice acting was cautious, as if they knew they didn't know how to make the joke work without looking bad. Rick and Morty would have leapt in with both feet on the 'so you are a virgin because otherwise you'll have to be kind of a planet, heh' and then worked around in the end to 'oh actually I guess that's a pretty dumb way to select your next ruler'. As it is LDS just ends up not really having anything to say about it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Until the end for sure. Just the end with Rutherford made it really weird. “He loves his virginity!” Is the kind of line I hear and think wow these writers have never seen, heard, or thought anything funny in their lives.

Virginity as an aspect of their larper society would totally track. Rutherford and the soft dick joke didn’t.

Being supportive of it is still calling attention to it. Back to the baldness. Guinan says she likes bald men. If there were jokes about how Picard loves his baldness so much he cried in Unification til Guinan saved him by ripping the wig off. This example isn’t as thought out as it seemed when I thought it initially, and actually could be funny, but it just really misses for me.

Making jokes about the situations is fine. Making jokes about their values is... less than. Even if they’re supportive, addressing virginity as a concept especially making a character they’ve had solely as the target of our laughter up to this point felt like it was bullying people who abstain from sex.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

Edit - like, making the concept of virginity humorous is weird. Star Trek, a universe where we have explicit things about baldness not mattering because while we could reverse it, except by then nobody would care to. Same thing for virginity, though? Why would anybody give a poo poo about it one way or the other in the enlightened humanity?

"It's the utopian future and here's a culture based around a renfair with incredibly stupid rules around succession which they take incredibly seriously, forcing the po-faced Starfleet to also take them seriously" is a solid setup for humour, you unbelievable dingus.

Also it's a nice flip to have a character who very explicitly doesn't want to have sex and everyone except the antagonists is totally cool with it. Not a single "hurrrr virgin" joke is made, the jokes are about the absurdity of the system, not the chief engineer's feelings.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

a character they’ve had solely as the target of our laughter up to this point

You talking about Billups?

Because I don't think that's true at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh cool, it’s that part of the week where gimmickposters swoop in to poo poo all over an otherwise totally fine episode because it made a couple jokes and/or references they didn’t like.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

What I noticed is that the show seemed embarrassed to be making the jokes in the first place. They were reluctant and the voice acting was cautious, as if they knew they didn't know how to make the joke work without looking bad. Rick and Morty would have leapt in with both feet on the 'so you are a virgin because otherwise you'll have to be kind of a planet, heh' and then worked around in the end to 'oh actually I guess that's a pretty dumb way to select your next ruler'. As it is LDS just ends up not really having anything to say about it.

I agree, but with the caveat that I don't think it really needs to say anything about it. "You have to stay a virgin or you become king" is no less goofy than "our court musician's lute is also a comm jammer" or "we call them Dragonfire Engines."
As it stands, the jokes are somewhat reluctant and fewer because it is (and should be) treated as an incidental bit that doesn't need further examination. You can have a subplot that involves someone being a virgin without having to make a statement on whether that is OK or not.

e: honestly I had an entire 2nd part of this post responding to SD but Big Mean Jerk is 100% right and it's the same loving story every week and I'm tired of engaging

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also it's a nice flip to have a character who very explicitly doesn't want to have sex and everyone except the antagonists is totally cool with it. Not a single "hurrrr virgin" joke is made, the jokes are about the absurdity of the system, not the chief engineer's feelings.

yeah, I think a weaker writing team would've had Freeman be congratulatory instead of solemn when receiving Billups' resignation, or Billups would've been regretful of the opportunity he was about to lose instead of exuberant when Rutherford rescued him

it's very much a "Starfleet takes a planet-of-hats culture seriously" plot

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

"It's the utopian future and here's a culture based around a renfair with incredibly stupid rules around succession which they take incredibly seriously, forcing the po-faced Starfleet to also take them seriously" is a solid setup for humour, you unbelievable dingus.

Yeah that's how I felt about it too.

Also Billups rules

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

It’s a setup for humor in a Judd Apatow movie. Why is it so hard for people to respect rules of the universe established? It’s the most important aspect of sci-fi and horror writing. The Star Trek universe has pretty good rules established on the values of humanity.

As it is, if this show handled The Outcast instead of Riker trying to help Soren get what they wanted (I guess she for portions of the episode. Pronouns are complicated especially when considering the end of that episode) we’d see Mariner abduct a random J’naii to tell them to just pick a gender. Maybe I’m overstating but that’s legitimately how it feels this show handles itself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I was going to reply then I saw who it was

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me ten times, go gently caress yourself you colossal chode

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I agree, but with the caveat that I don't think it really needs to say anything about it. "You have to stay a virgin or you become king" is no less goofy than "our court musician's lute is also a comm jammer" or "we call them Dragonfire Engines."
As it stands, the jokes are somewhat reluctant and fewer because it is (and should be) treated as an incidental bit that doesn't need further examination. You can have a subplot that involves someone being a virgin without having to make a statement on whether that is OK or not.

So I said (to you?) in the other thread that the theme of this season's episodes seems to be 'learn to be content where you are' and Billups' story this episode absolutely played into that.

e: actually I'll modify that, it's 'learn to be content with yourself'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 24, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh, agreed 100%

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was the Medieval planet a TAS thing or did they make that up for this show?

Made up, though Berengaria has been mentioned before as a planet with dragons so now there are two.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny that the cute cartoon show makes Disco’s character development and depth look like amateur hour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, where was it said that Taylor was the Kzin's name?

Oh, yeah, it hasn't been said in show

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1441208490685386752

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think "Ren Faire planet" is really much of a stretch considering stuff like "Ye Olde Scottish Village planet" and the like. I do appreciate that they use modern technology, they just call it goofy Ren Faire-type stuff

I agree with HD Dad - they scaled back the jokes and references in this one and let the writing breathe a little more and it's one of the best episodes yet. Kind of reminds me of The Orville in that way, though I think S1 of LDS beats out S1 of Orville taken as a whole.

I also really like that they took a well-used archetype (mostly Lwaxana TNG episodes but I think there's a few more 'parent of bridge crew' episodes?) and did a fun and pretty original take on it.

Personally I think it is only a matter of time and a couple of media empire takeovers until Orville is canonized as an alternative Trek timeline or universe. Probably has already happened by accident in some extra-expanded universe novels/comics.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
AI prison lmfao. Which plots do we count as "A" plots? Ones with Mariner or Boimler? Or external/internal plot? In like, overall sense.
LDS is best trek period.

HD DAD posted:

It’s funny that the cute cartoon show makes Disco’s character development and depth look like amateur hour.

It's a stretch to call a switch from drama queen to cry every scene queen a "character development", IMO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Erulisse posted:

AI prison lmfao. Which plots do we count as "A" plots? Ones with Mariner or Boimler? Or external/internal plot? In like, overall sense.
LDS is best trek period.

It's a stretch to call a switch from drama queen to cry every scene queen a "character development", IMO
The Mariner/Boimler plots tend to be the A plot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Interview with Jeffrey Combs: https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-icon-jeffrey-combs-describes-the-deliciousnes-1847731738

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The woman playing the Queen was Paul Sheer (Billups)'s real life wife
Which is quite weird!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Huh, okay.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would say it's 50/50 that's a joke, McMahan seems like the kind of person who would say that as a joke, but also seems like the kind of Trek fan that would actually give the weird red cat alien a boring human name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would say it's 50/50 that's a joke, McMahan seems like the kind of person who would say that as a joke, but also seems like the kind of Trek fan that would actually give the weird red cat alien a boring human name.

There's also the matter of whether or not he knows that names for the Kzinti are a whole thing. I assume he does, which means that they're probably lining up a joke for some point down the line.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 24, 2021