Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
we should have virtual districts instead of geographical ones. then we don't need some dumb new system or formula. people can just pick the district they want. all the communists go to one virtual district and make it theirs so they get a seat and so on for each party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

Regardless of who would form government, 17 PPC members of parliament would be great entertainment.

i'd rather not have our own marjorie taylor greens and lauren boeberts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

i'd rather not have our own marjorie taylor greens and lauren boeberts

say what you will about marjorie taylor green, she fights for her constituents a lot better than AOC or bernie sanders

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

yellowcar posted:

changing hands from canadian capitalists to american capitalists: is there a really a big difference?

but that's not what that private member's bill was about and never was, it was strictly xenophobic brained "foreign influence" about CHYNAH
I actually agree with this, to be fair, insofar as the board of directors for places such as Postmedia would continue to be awful and reactionary whether the investment money came from wall street* or bay street. Technically speaking, the problem is capital rather than the US.

But, that being said, in TYOOL 2021, I also think it's impossible to productively distinguish problems of capital from problems of specifically American capital and imperialism/foreign influence.

yellowcar posted:

our own supposed independent media peddles the same imperialist narratives from washington all on their own without foreign media influence or even directives from the yanks themselves because this is who we are. we are part of the imperial core. we're going along with it willingly because we want what the americans want.
I don't entirely agree with the first highlighted statement even though I agree with the second one. I mean, yeah, sure: CBC does this. I think the NDP bitching about us joining AUKUS tells you everything you need to know about the window of acceptable political discourse in this country and "who we are."

But there are still smaller and "more" independent media outside the mainstream that shouldn't be brushed aside. I think the new Passage is doing some pretty good stuff, such as this depressing collection of our media's election endorsements that was making the rounds on twitter again:

lol liberals in the 90's

Smaller, but People's Voice is the communist party newspaper and it's obviously not going to peddle imperialist narratives. Its circulation is going to be fairly small, and obviously you're not going to get larger outlets doing much to criticize imperialism because capital ain't gonna spend a bunch of capital to criticize capital.

But I also think it's wrong to act like decent, independent media doesn't exist, because that will create a self-fulfilling prophecy; they do exist, and they should be supported.

As a side note, I'd add that I am kinda surprised just how openly conservative our media is. Like the liberals are also not going to do jack poo poo that'll actually hurt capital, and yet... you look at the image above, and even they are considered too "left" for Postmedia. And then you read stuff like this on wikipedia:

quote:

In October 2018, it was reported that CEO Andrew MacLeod had declared the company "insufficiently conservative." That resulted in Kevin Libin, who had played an active role in defeating a union drive at the paper earlier that year,[26] taking charge of all political reporting and analysis in Postmedia newspapers to ensure the newspapers became more “reliably conservative."[27]
Like, holy gently caress, in the US, at least places like MSNBC or the New York Times pretend.

____
* speaking figuratively. A few seconds on wikipedia tells me apparently one of the US firms is actually based in New Jersey? (lol)

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

All capitalist (and even some non capitalist) states are nominally one big ultranationalist self sustained entity imo. I agree capital is the issue with irresponsible media ownership not "foreign" ownership

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I'm surprised that with the media slobbering over the Tories, the Liberals domination of Canadian politics is as hegemonic as it is. Why is that? And also why would the Montreal Gazette back the Conservatives? I thought that Anglos in Montreal are the most hardcore of Liberal party supporters, and there's also the fact that the Conservatives in the 80s had Quebec Nationalists as a big party of their coalition.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Conservative outrage sells more papers

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Thr left knows they aren't getting a real version of the world from capital backed media, conservatives want their preconceptions and anger justified in easy headlines, to expand on that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rutibex posted:

we should have virtual districts instead of geographical ones. then we don't need some dumb new system or formula. people can just pick the district they want. all the communists go to one virtual district and make it theirs so they get a seat and so on for each party

Honestly, I would love if this was the case but it would mean that 80%+ of representatives come from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Calgary. Rurals would not be happy with the underrepresentation and they'd have a point.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

oh wow.

:discourse:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

if images could be thread titles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

if images could be thread titles

put it in the OP at least.

also the CanPol OP

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

put it in the OP at least.

also the CanPol OP

i have no power in D&D but it is now the welcome mat this thread deserves

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rutibex posted:

say what you will about marjorie taylor green, she fights for her constituents a lot better than AOC or bernie sanders

when your actual base is petty bourgeois car dealership owners and realtors, you're doing politics on easy mode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

i have no power in D&D but it is now the welcome mat this thread deserves

o7 thank you for your service, vyelkin

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

layton was a centrist sack of poo poo, bernie is still commie-god

looking back on the first page and lmao.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

looking back on the first page and lmao.

show me the lie

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Bernie's the same, it's the supporters that changed (to hating him)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rutibex posted:

does she

does she really

what has she accomplished

yes yes she's a big maga troll and if your point is that that's all they care about fine i guess but i think this is dumb

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

does she

does she really

what has she accomplished

yes yes she's a big maga troll and if your point is that that's all they care about fine i guess but i think this is dumb

she helped a violent mob get into the capitol building. its not her fault they had no follow through, she delivered :shrug:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I hope people here of all places aren't lying awake at night thinking about how January 6 was a big scary revolution or whatever

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is the Hitler Trudeau real because if it is lmao

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Is the Hitler Trudeau real because if it is lmao

It's a photoshop

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's a photoshop

yeah he was actually dressed up like a world war i soldier i think

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah it was for a Passchendaele reenactment

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.macleans.ca/multimedia/photo/the-mr-dressup-prime-minister/

Seems to cover most of them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

more like trudope amirite

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

L loving mao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
:barf:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1441567912721063938

our precious michaels are coming home!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a photoshop, right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i hope csis fires these guys for being such lovely spies

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pamela Springstein posted:

I know right. Libs and cons would take turns being PM in coalition governments.

in ireland the two big centrist neolib parties which've been opposed since the civil war got together to keep sinn fein out of government in the recent election

that said the ndp isn't nearly as threatening as sinn fein, they'd be more like the lib dems in the UK and cave to the liberals on most things so

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/pirasathk/status/1441568225737646081

imagine giving a poo poo about either of these guys

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

They should get on that Havana syndrome gravy train for their troubles

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/csiscanada/status/1441571942721593345

lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1441587536313389056

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you don't have to hand it to them, but that's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao