Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

If I wanted to get into the Yakuza series, or at least take a look at if I actually like it, would Yakuza 0 be a good starting point?

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tarquinn posted:

If I wanted to get into the Yakuza series, or at least take a look at if I actually like it, would Yakuza 0 be a good starting point?

Yes. It goes for $5 almost every steam sale though, so wait for that if you can.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tarquinn posted:

108% yes

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks, guys! :tipshat:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Look before you buy on this one. It seems to be a mobile port.

Novasol was streaming it, and the new music seems fine, but everything moves weird in platformer mode, and sim mode has clutter and poor visual clarity.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 24, 2021

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Absolutely do not give Square any money for Actraiser: Renaissance. It is irredeemably terrible. Take it from someone who has powered through most of it by now and do not make the same mistake I did.

Donnerberg posted:

Look before you buy on this one. It seems to be a mobile port.

From the stream I checked, the new music seems fine, but everything moves weird in platformer mode, and sim mode has clutter and poor visual clarity.

Hello, familiar face!

EDIT: I looked into it and this is the dev who made this. They mostly do railroad and cooking sims, they were 100% not prepared for this game at all.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 24, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Extremely.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Novasol posted:

Absolutely do not give Square any money for Actraiser: Renaissance. It is irredeemably terrible. Take it from someone who has powered through most of it by now and do not make the same mistake I did.

Hello, familiar face!

EDIT: I looked into it and this is the dev who made this. They mostly do railroad and cooking sims, they were 100% not prepared for this game at all.

Heya! Sorry, I didn't recognize your name from the forums at first.

At least there's Smelter until someone makes a proper Actraiser sequel.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Actraiser's sprites look so bad. They remind me of how they used to make spritesheets out of pre-rendered 3D graphics like in Donkey Kong except worse.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tarquinn posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes. It goes for $5 almost every steam sale though, so wait for that if you can.

Steam keys are $3.99 on Newegg right now which brings you out to a pretty drat agreeable 7 cents/hour dollars to entertainment ratio if you spend as much time with the game as I did lol.

edit: Actually that link may not work, try this one https://www.newegg.com/sega-yakuza-0/p/N82E16832203319

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for the 8bitdo 2 recommendations from a couple pages ago, it's a good feeling controller. Good gamefeel. Feelgood gaming. Any recommendations for a USB headset, ideally with a detachable mic?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tarquinn posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so used to dumb posts that are like, "I'm getting into Yakuza, I'm going to start with Yakuza 4" that someone actually doing the logical thing is quite a shock

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is the Sega sales page on Steam bugged for anyone else? It only shows like 8 games but clearly there are a lot more on sale, but I don't wanna like...think of Sega titles and search one by one.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

Steam keys are $3.99 on Newegg right now which brings you out to a pretty drat agreeable 7 cents/hour dollars to entertainment ratio if you spend as much time with the game as I did lol.

edit: Actually that link may not work, try this one https://www.newegg.com/sega-yakuza-0/p/N82E16832203319

Ah, it seems Newegg is unable to ship steam keys to Yurop.

Gort posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so used to dumb posts that are like, "I'm getting into Yakuza, I'm going to start with Yakuza 4" that someone actually doing the logical thing is quite a shock
Well, my question might have been dumb after all; turns out we have a Yakuza thread that answered it in the OP. :v:

Anyway, pulled the trigger on Y0. Let's see what this is all about.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 24, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
yeah i haven't seen a single message on Kind Words that was even borderline offensive or inappropriate. it's pretty amazing actually. :3:

also i'm gonna go ahead and say that Dicey Dungeons is the best DD game since Darkest Dungeon, definitely as good as Desktop Dungeons

man these people gotta get some more creative names lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Inscryption demo is out. Full release on October 19th, even sooner than I expected! Was guessing Halloween.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
what was the game that was a single payer Among Us/Werewolf? not the visual novel one, i mean one where you actually play the game with AI citizens or whatever??? and it has a story

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

what was the game that was a single payer Among Us/Werewolf? not the visual novel one, i mean one where you actually play the game with AI citizens or whatever??? and it has a story

Maybe Gnosia? I really liked it on Switch, didn't realize it was getting a Steam release but that's cool.

edit: No release date except "2021" but it looks like they just added Steam trading cards for it so I'd imagine pretty soon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tarquinn posted:

It’s the most Yakuza of them all. Just so much stuff in it. It’s great.

It was basically the last game they made in that engine so it has allllll the minigames except I think golf.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Novasol posted:

Hello, familiar face!

Strikingly negative opinion. Any details for someone who didn't see the stream? I've played half an hour of the game, and so far it seems flawed-but-OK at worst; does it worsen in some way?

sad question
May 30, 2020

Artelier posted:

Is the Sega sales page on Steam bugged for anyone else? It only shows like 8 games but clearly there are a lot more on sale, but I don't wanna like...think of Sega titles and search one by one.

There are almost invisible arrows on the side of the page that let you scroll through the sale items.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

goferchan posted:

If anyone in the EU/UK is curiuous, it's also on sale at fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/y...cj_aid=13797872

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

am i missing something. im eu and yakuza 0 is 75% off on steam anyway for like a week lol

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gort posted:

To be fair, I started on 4 since I heard 3 was bad and 4 was the newest one at the time, and I had a great time. I don’t think there’s a genuinely awful place to start in the main series.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To be fair, I started on 4 since I heard 3 was bad and 4 was the newest one at the time, and I had a great time. I don’t think there’s a genuinely awful place to start in the main series.

Dead Souls

E: ugh you said main series, just let me shitpost dad

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Inscryption demo verdict: Want. Full. Game. Now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

6/Kiwami 2 are great games but a bad place to start IMO since you won’t really get the full scope of poo poo to do like the old games but the new engine is so much smoother going back is difficult.

7 is at least different enough you won’t find yourself missing QoL features or 6’s faster combat.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

goferchan posted:

Maybe Gnosia? I really liked it on Switch, didn't realize it was getting a Steam release but that's cool.

edit: No release date except "2021" but it looks like they just added Steam trading cards for it so I'd imagine pretty soon.

yep that one, weird i thought it had already come out on PC dang it

the Steam Thread: the thread knows games better than you do

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got gifted Hunt: Showdown

Let's see how frustrating it is

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ymgve posted:

I suck at and kinda dislike card roguelites but I freaking loved The Hex so I'm really torn on this. I loved the demo too

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lakbay posted:

I suck at and kinda dislike card roguelites but I freaking loved The Hex so I'm really torn on this. I loved the demo too

Not sure if it was in this thread or some other, but someone complained about the previous games (The Hex, Pony Island) not having much of a "game" inside the metagame framing. Feels like this is fixed here, and the card game seems well fleshed out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

Yeah, it's a really neat demo, I am going to buy the full game after playing that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Simone Magus posted:

Shrouded Isle?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Humble has a new bundle with Trailmakers in it. Has anyone played it? It looks like the kind of thing my five year old would totally love... is it kid friendly?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yakuza has the weird issue where until 0 came out and everything got ported to PC most people said that 4 was the best one, but nobody made a point of also clarifying that it was by far the least approachable without prior context.

Oddly enough, it's also the game that I think suffered the most from its links to the other stories. Don't get me wrong, 4's great, but all I wanted from that game was 30 hours of Akiyama's Dumb Real Estate Money Laundering Adventure, and 30 hours of Prison Break starring Saejima. Tanimura was flat and unlikable by comparison, and even though I was hype to switch over to Kiryu, I think that 3 was the perfect ending for him and not letting him retire and run his awesome orphanage was a big mistake.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 25, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've been really enjoying MGS V. The second overlong unfun mission in it is the one where you get Emmerich. I don't know how long I spent. I finally got the guy, and made my way out, then you have a big enemy who you have to run away from. The point of this scene is that Snake is running away from this enemy. They told me to find a good place to hide, so I ran for one--outside of bounds. "Warning: approaching edge of mission area" then I tried to turn around but literally could not turn around fast enough and a voice says:

quote:

Hold it. We're doing this again, from the top.

I didn't stress. I had a checkpoint. They couldn't mean from the top. They couldn't.

Even the cruelest games I've ever played would not dream of deleting my save file for a mistake. An unavoidable mistake. THEIR mistake! They... deleted my file.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but my plan now is to crucify myself, upside down, in Kojima's garden so his family finds my body.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mescal posted:

I don't want to sound dramatic, but my plan now is to crucify myself, upside down, in Kojima's garden so his family finds my body.

As you die and your vision goes black, the words "A Hideo Kojima Production" appears in the corner of your eye and you realize your entire life was actually the pre-intro cutscene for a Kojima game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Love that mission lol

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh I guess that Castlevania Collection came out on Steam too. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Don't want to spoil anything but if you've played The Hex you can probably go into the full game with some expectations for the amount of gameplay variety present. Plenty of cards though, no question there.