Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never buy chicken breasts. When I get a whole chicken, we eat the thigh/leg/wing and use the breast for tacos or chicken salad or whatnot.

Thighs: the thinking person's breast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, but the birds are all coming from the same stock, so you'll get a woody one sooner or later.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Chicken breast is the shittiest part of the bird anyway compared to legs, and the supreme meat thighs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Commercial chicken breast sucks. Good chicken breasts are on 2 year old roosters that are mostly tenderloin and taste like how chicken soup smells.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What is "Woody Breast Syndrome?"

If it just means "Nasty rear end Chicken" then I get it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

What is "Woody Breast Syndrome?"

If it just means "Nasty rear end Chicken" then I get it.

It's a harmless but weird mutation in a good percentage of factory birds that gives their chest muscles a weird, tough, fibrous texture. Like if big chunks of the breast meat were made of cartilage or something.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Halloween Jack posted:

Did they just throw whole frozen chicken breasts in the wok? I can see that.

They honestly might've done, I peaced out at that point from what I remember. I think it was partly psychosomatic, knowing just how cheap the chicken was, and partly a load of teen mothers attempting to cook for the first time in an enclosed space.

I did sometimes used to cook a really good stew and dumplings, with rosemary and chicken thighs, but I just couldn't find any locally that I felt good about buying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Imagined posted:

It's a harmless but weird mutation in a good percentage of factory birds that gives their chest muscles a weird, tough, fibrous texture. Like if big chunks of the breast meat were made of cartilage or something.

I know exactly what you’re talking about!

Not eating 99% of chicken isn’t missing out on anything. As a bird lover, I sleep a little better at night as well.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Could only get a pic of her leaving, but Karen keeps walking in the drat house like she owns the joint.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lol

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mustache Ride posted:

Could only get a pic of her leaving, but Karen keeps walking in the drat house like she owns the joint.

She owns the joint now. Once our hens managed to access the kitchen, there was no going back. Even now when we keep the kitchen door nearly closed, Molly has learned to push against the door to open it (and then they all troupe in and get treats 'cos that's what we do here).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Joburg posted:

I’d guess molting. Sometimes they do a stealth molt and it’s hard to tell. We had Dorothy in the house the other night for observation and she lost a bunch of under feathers. I can’t tell she’s molting unless I look pretty closely though.

Starting to see feathers scattered around the garden, so they've either started moulting, or pit-fighting!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/KEUyMlx

Chickens we're questioning of being roosters in question, they're so wonderful and we'd hate to have to get rid of one to replace our current rooster that is tearing our girls up.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

https://imgur.com/a/KEUyMlx

Chickens we're questioning of being roosters in question, they're so wonderful and we'd hate to have to get rid of one to replace our current rooster that is tearing our girls up.

They look like roosters to me. Look at the long saddle feathers.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just the right amount of rain and then sunshine today:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Algorithm decided to show me this ad today:

https://www.lookhuman.com/design/404866-chimkin-derpy-chicken/97200-athletic_royal-md

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

spookygonk posted:

Just the right amount of rain and then sunshine today:

This looks like some kind of summoning ritual

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

quote:

Product Story
Am chimkin, plz gib seed feed! I poop breakfast and make tasty nuggets. I'm derpy, chunky, and produce delicious food!

Dear god, that's terrible.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

spookygonk posted:

Haha I didn't see that part.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

spookygonk posted:

The hoodie is an A+.

The captain is a D-.

I enjoy birb-speak as much as the next person. But all that was just a mess.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

not enough malice in its eyes

i think Lil' Pep might be broody, after laying all of 6 eggs. i found her in the run, sitting on the ground and she gave me the warning trill when i got close. everyone else was out in the yard. i tried to put her in the coop in a nest box but she ended up standing on the ramp so i left. i came back later and she was off by herself where everyone else had been in the yard, and they were all in the run :shrug:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
a new little dude has arrived in the coop! :h: his name is kestrel. he's never been handled in his life - the guy i got him from said he got picked up once to go from the incubator to the brooder, then from the brooder to the aviary, and never touched by human hands aside from that - and is completely terrified of me.

i was warned he is an "alpha male", and both his eyes are scarred, with one looking like he almost lost it at some point. when i put him in the coop yesterday, he jumped frantically on scrubby and egret, but then moose bashed him up and he went off and hid in the corner. now everything is peaceful. when i gave them their breakfast this morning and he was hiding, scrubby wandered over and pecked him on the head, and he followed her to where the crumble was and they ate together. i think he's going to fit in.

pictured: an alpha male

perepelki fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 27, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

kestrel's previous keeper was an older gentleman who wasn't really up to the task of chasing escaped quail. i carried kestrel out to the car, he popped out of my hands and landed on the ground, and the guy just immediately went in the most resigned voice "oh well! if he goes, he goes!"

(i caught him)

perepelki fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 27, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

he's adorable

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

he's been chilling in the same spot all day, behind the grass, out of sight of the hens. i think having personal space is a new experience for him :unsmith:

i thought he and the hens hadn't had time to bond, but then i put them in the other cage and he screamed until i brought them back. pepree!

perepelki fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 27, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

pictured: an alpha male
So sweet. Scrubby has taken pity on the new boy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Karen decided to join me for breakfast

This was taken immediately before I had to shoo her away from her fried child

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

chicken breakfast is the best :3:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

City of Glompton posted:

chicken breakfast is the best :3:

:emptyquote:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Lil Pep laid her egg in the chicken tractor run today and somebody ate it :(

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 3 days!)

City of Glompton posted:

Lil Pep laid her egg in the chicken tractor run today and somebody ate it :(
:negative:

Mustache Ride posted:

Karen decided to join me for breakfast

This was taken immediately before I had to shoo her away from her fried child
:yayclod:

home is where the hen is

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 7, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

There’s poop everywhere!

All the chicks arrived alive and they are in really good shape. The Meal Maker free chick is a Cream Legbar pullet according to the website. The black and yellow Jersey Giant chicks are soooo cute! They all move too fast for an in-focus picture though.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Joburg posted:

There’s poop everywhere!
hahaha look at all that poop! the chicks look really healthy and their digestive systems are obviously working well :allears:

next week i'm buying three day-old quabies from the people i got kestrel from. this year i'd decided not to incubate any more eggs myself, but i was informed about these chicks when they were already mid-incubation, so of course i couldn't resist. i'm slowly rebuilding the flock - this will take the number up to seven, a nice lucky number.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

So much poop

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

There’s poop everywhere!

All the chicks arrived alive and they are in really good shape. The Meal Maker free chick is a Cream Legbar pullet according to the website. The black and yellow Jersey Giant chicks are soooo cute! They all move too fast for an in-focus picture though.

:kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOzdYxnGgM

The little guy with the pink and blue leg bands is the cream Legbar cockerel. The yellow leg bands are the Penesenca pullets. Black with white bums = Jersey Giant. The rest are the lakeshore eggers and the one cream Legbar pullet. So far no pasty butt :neckbeard:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

*peeping intensifies* :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Joburg posted:

All the chicks arrived alive and they are in really good shape.
Meyer Hatchery?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What a perfect pack of pooping little peepers! :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007