Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Godzilla series as a shared universe is a different vibe from the modern expression of that idea as well. They just started throwing characters together in a similar way that the Universal Monsters did, but it wasn't to build some sort of grand interconnected continuity. Continuity itself wasn't really a strong priority and there were no teases for sequels or set up for later entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This is kind of why I have really enjoyed both Shin Godzilla and Singular Point far more than I have any other G material in, well, years. It's doing away with continuity and just trying new ideas out. It's still "Godzilla" (especially Shin) but free from a lot of constraints.

We will get a new Toho Godzilla movie eventually and I'll welcome the hell out of it, but it's nice to try some things out in the meantime.

Speaking of Ultima, I've been having fun painting him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really need to get around to watching Singular Point. I don't actually have a Netflix subscription at the moment so it feels like an extra bit of effort to get through the signup. I also need to watch the three anime movies because hearing they are poo poo is only a limited deterrent to a Gojiraboo.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I really need to get around to watching Singular Point. I don't actually have a Netflix subscription at the moment so it feels like an extra bit of effort to get through the signup. I also need to watch the three anime movies because hearing they are poo poo is only a limited deterrent to a Gojiraboo.

The Netflix anime movies are poo poo because they're boring, not because they're full of cheesy SFX or any of the other reasons people hate on the Godzilla series. (Disclaimer: I'm basing this solely on having watched the first one and a little of the second one.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The sheer density of mad scientists in Singular Point is remarkable.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Netflix anime movies are poo poo because they're boring, not because they're full of cheesy SFX or any of the other reasons people hate on the Godzilla series. (Disclaimer: I'm basing this solely on having watched the first one and a little of the second one.)

The worst live action Godzillas are really boring too and that's never stopped me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The biggest problem I had with the Netflix G anime trilogy is the fact that there were a huge amount of wild and neat ideas and cool aesthetics and I just feel they left a lot of that just sitting there not doing it's potential.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

The worst live action Godzillas are really boring too and that's never stopped me.

The main thing is that the lead character might be the worst lead in any Godzilla media

But I will say this- the first movie is easily the best of the three. I'm not sure how that worked out but do with it what you will

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the Netflix anime films are utter dreck. Not even enjoyably bad, just deeply, truly dull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Netflix Godzilla trilogy is alright.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Netflix Godzilla trilogy is alright.

Boo this man! BOOOO!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least the anime trilogy gave us fan-made fights against MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vinylshadow posted:

At least the anime trilogy gave us fan-made fights against MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah

That's anime as hell :rock:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

1994 Godzilla
There's a few parts that aged terribly, like the joke about... Godzilla causing 9/11

um what

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Vinylshadow posted:

Holy poo poo I'd never seen that Ghidorah one before. That's absolutely insane. Like watching two primordial black holes duke it out. Goddamn.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

I feel like I don't see eye-to-eye with a lot of godzilla fans and am glad that I'm not the only one who thought Singular Point was insanely boring.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really liked Singular Point, but I do feel that Godzilla itself was an afterthought.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like I don't see eye-to-eye with a lot of godzilla fans and am glad that I'm not the only one who thought Singular Point was insanely boring.

I was talking about the trilogy of anime movies on Netflix that came out prior to Singular Point. Those just didn’t grab me at all, whereas SP at least had some interesting concepts and visuals even when it got bogged down in the science.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The anime trilogy isn't great overall, but The Planet Eater has some of the best stuff the franchise has put out in decades.

Mazer
Feb 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really liked Singular Point, but I do feel that Godzilla itself was an afterthought.

Yeah it could have been any generic kaiju in that role. I enjoyed it just don't think it needed Godzilla. Just felt like all he did was walk to the city and stand there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of arrivals :woop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Awwwww yissssss

Mutha

Fukkin

Pretty Hedorah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm gonna have to try for that Hedoh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Awhile back I mentioned that I had ordered the movie Day of Destruction from SRS Cinema because it was in their Kaiu section despite the trailer and synopsis having no reference to a kaiju. It turns out is a kaiju movie, because there is a small kaiju in it, for a single brief shot. But people do a lot of talking about it. They wish that the kaiu that none of them have ever seen would go away. The best comparison would be to Neo Ultra Q.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know this has already been touched on several times ITT but it’s always a good time to say that the sheer scale of these creatures has never been shown better than it was in the 2014 Godzilla.

Never.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The CGI G to me didn't capture my imagination as much as some of the suit and miniature stuff.

Anno is great at visuals for sure though, Gunbuster was good stuff. And the American one does look pretty cool, I concur. Took me a moment to remember that 2014 wasn't Shin.

I'd say, for me, surreal as it may be, GMK is the most I've believed it. As far as scale, a monster in a city etc. Got to see it in theaters too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That Godzilla v Gamera fan youtuber just released a teaser, looks like they'll be uploading a video which is several minutes long on October 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbDvmKUOzU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finally unrolled it so I could get a framing cost estimate. 5.5’ long and just shy of 3.5’ tall.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 6, 2021

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Binged Singular Point over the weekend, loved it.
Could've had more Godzilla, but I think they got the perfect amount of Jet Jaguar action

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

F O L K S

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1445848593756082179?s=10

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Kind of annoying that Alamo Drafthouse gets all these cool exclusives considering the nearest one is a five-hour drive from me. Ah well, whatever.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It'll be funny when they screen Biollante in the US but then still don't release it on bluray again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Covid killed the Alamo in my state. :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I got lovely seats for G vs Hedorah, but everything else was sold out. At least I finally get to see one of my favorite Godzilla films on the big screen finally :unsmith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, yesterday I decided to read the script of the cancelled 1994 Godzilla. This was supposed to be Tristar bringing Godzilla to the West. Jan de Bont (Twister, Speed) was ready to direct and there are some cool monster designs out there for it. Toho was on board, everything seemed to go smooth, and then the studio pulled the plug because they thought the film would be too expensive. They gave the project to Roland Emmerich, who ended up spending even more money and tossed everything out the window to replace it with his own ideas.

It's a shame, because the script is really cool. It strikes a nice balance between classic Godzilla (alien monsters, massive fights) and nineties disaster flicks. They came up with a strong original monster (the Gryphon, a freakshow combination between a mountain lion and a bat with snakes for tongues), cool set pieces (human characters dangling from a helicopter to blow up a restraining device that holds Godzilla back while hell breaks out around them, a small desert town being tormented by seemingly biblical plagues before its wiped of the map by a giant monster) and manage to strike a nice balance between Godzilla as a hero and a terrifying presence, by making him a dinosaur who is tasked with protecting the world from aliens who is too large to notice humans at all.

There's a few parts that aged terribly, like the joke about a pilot eying up a fifteen year old girl and Godzilla causing 9/11, but what mostly struck me is how much of this script got used in the MonsterVerse films. The ancient civilization, Godzilla crashing the Golden Gate Bridge, the scientist mother who is almost consumed by revenge, her calmer, rebellious daughter and a final fight where Godzilla decapitates his opponent by blasting them in the mouth are all iconic elements from the newer films that are present here.

It also confuses me why Emmerich decided to trash the entire script, because it has all the themes that he loves to work with. Ancient aliens, a slow moving apocalypse, natural disasters and secret military bases and shadowy government operatives are supposed to be his bread and butter, way more than "lizard lays eggs in New York City".

A lot of the Roland Emmerich stuff is gone over in the History of Godzilla (98) video and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II has some info about the unmade 94 movie. All of his videos are pretty good once he gets into the long form stuff starting with Return of Godzilla. What a mess that movie ended up being though. I had no idea about any of that cause I was only nine when it came out and the internet wasn't what it was now, but I was super excited when it was coming out and made my dad take me to go see it. I was really mad when we left the movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_fIJSzMPJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFaRgTHc0xg&t=171s

Couple pages late but the Heisei movies for me are easily the best of the bunch

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4o5ZzbZDsc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finally a release date for that movie about cleaning up a kaiju corpse

https://twitter.com/daikaijyu_movie/status/1448408203797037057?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Toho hauled the '04 Godzilla and Hedorah costumes out of storage and filmed a battle on a brand new set for the 50th anniversary of "Godzilla vs. Hedorah", which will be screened at Godzilla Festival 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSgeUsVj2J4

The entire festival will be livecast free on Youtube on November 3!