Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huxley posted:

You mean graveyard recursion or the "cast a bunch of little spells for a big payoff" decks?

I think the move toward Arclight style payoffs is them hitting on a sort of quasi-replacement for Storm. It scratches that same itch in people's brains without having its win condition be quite so binary. It feels more like an actual game, both playing it and playing against it, than just "can I kill them before they go off?" or "did they thoughtseize my payoff?"

"Cast a lot of little do-nothing bullshit cards, whoops now you're dead." Feels good. Feels a little like cheating in the same way all good and interesting cards do in this game.

I mean, look, I get WHY people like it. It just is an itch that I 100% do not have bugging me to scratch and it's on the same tier as "casting Teferi 5" for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Having the best thing to be doing in standard be a vehicle is kinda problematic because they are just not easy to interact with.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Having the best thing to be doing in standard be a vehicle is kinda problematic because they are just not easy to interact with.

Eh, they're easier to interact with than an a regular artifact or enchantment. They just screw over wrath strategies.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mcmagic posted:

The turns deck without creatures is way better.

Got a list in particular you'd recommend?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I mean, look, I get WHY people like it. It just is an itch that I 100% do not have bugging me to scratch and it's on the same tier as "casting Teferi 5" for me.

That's how I feel about midrange. There are people who can play midrange mirrors all day long and it just tickles them to no end. I want every game over by Turn 7. That means I'm mostly an aggro guy, but even when I queue up control, I want to have made some kind of move by T7 that guarantees the game is over.

Absolutely no interest in the 15th card of my deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Chariot will get banned because any time anything cat-related is good in Magic it gets banned. I take it personally.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what was the last good cat card?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Brimaz.

(maybe something after that but RIP king)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Felidar Guardian took a bullet because it was easily abused due to its timing but I don't think it's a good card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

goferchan posted:

Got a list in particular you'd recommend?

https://twitter.com/pironekogift/status/1441006279971905539

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yeah I got turbofucked by this deck playing R/G aggro, they just had a counter every turn and then all of a sudden they just won.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I got turbofucked by this deck playing R/G aggro, they just had a counter every turn and then all of a sudden they just won.

It's a T1 deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

Lurrus

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

Felidar Guardian took a bullet because it was easily abused due to its timing but I don't think it's a good card.

Wild Nacatl
Cauldron Familiar
Lukka (sort of, the deck it was playable in got banned)
Felidar Guardian (Standard and then Pioneer I think?)
Lurrus

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There are more broken cats than I realized

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you want to see the future of Magic, imagine a Treefolk token staring down a Goldspan Dragon, forever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That looks really annoying, I'll check it out. Surprised I haven't seem to run into it yet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played against decks just like that twice yesterday. Irritating af

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Y'all have been hugely spoiled if you think fuckin Chariot is worthy of a ban, lmao.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Like, give the format a few weeks to loving breathe until you start clamoring for bans, because i can guarantee that everyone will be sick to death of loving UB Delver decks once an optimal build shakes out, and chariot/wrenn won't be poo poo when your opponent is running 12+ counterspells and a bunch of good, cheap removal/bounce to get your poo poo out of the way

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played against decks just like that twice yesterday. Irritating af

how can anyone tell what the cards in that deck are?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ShaneB posted:

You should get your eyes checked out.

Also familiarity playing the format, but for real the names of the cards are legible in that picture.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ShaneB posted:

It's probably this list

Deck
3 Fading Hope
1 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jwari Disruption
2 Negate
3 Cathartic Pyre
2 Cinderclasm
2 Galvanic Iteration
4 Divide by Zero
4 Memory Deluge
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Alrund's Epiphany
3 Battle of Frost and Fire
8 Island
8 Mountain
3 Hall of Storm Giants
1 Frostboil Snarl
4 Riverglide Pathway

Sideboard
1 Suspicious Stowaway
2 Malevolent Hermit
3 Mind Flayer
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Burning Hands
1 Cinderclasm
2 Environmental Sciences
1 Teachings of the Archaics
2 Mascot Exhibition

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Very legible is overstating the case.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah it's hard to read but I couldn't find anything better lol.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Lurrus

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gramps posted:

It's probably this list

Deck
3 Fading Hope
1 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jwari Disruption
2 Negate
3 Cathartic Pyre
2 Cinderclasm
2 Galvanic Iteration
4 Divide by Zero
4 Memory Deluge
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Alrund's Epiphany
8 Island
8 Mountain
3 Hall of Storm Giants
1 Frostboil Snarl
4 Riverglide Pathway

Sideboard
1 Suspicious Stowaway
2 Malevolent Hermit
3 Mind Flayer
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Burning Hands
1 Cinderclasm
2 Environmental Sciences
2 Mascot Exhibition

It's this. Just for the love of god don't play the Snarl.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Gramps posted:

It's probably this list

Deck
3 Fading Hope
1 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jwari Disruption
2 Negate
3 Cathartic Pyre
2 Cinderclasm
2 Galvanic Iteration
4 Divide by Zero
4 Memory Deluge
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Alrund's Epiphany
8 Island
8 Mountain
3 Hall of Storm Giants
1 Frostboil Snarl
4 Riverglide Pathway

Sideboard
1 Suspicious Stowaway
2 Malevolent Hermit
3 Mind Flayer
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Burning Hands
1 Cinderclasm
2 Environmental Sciences
2 Mascot Exhibition

Whats the wincon of this deck, just beating people to death with the birds from Alrund's Epiphany when you get a bunch of turns?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Whats the wincon of this deck, just beating people to death with the birds from Alrund's Epiphany when you get a bunch of turns?

manland beats with Hall of Storm Giants mostly. It's SUPER loving frustrating to play against cause they just counter/bounce/nuke your threats and durdle forever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mike N Eich posted:

and the blue creature land yeah, there's the Flashback copy spell that lets you crank out lots of turns

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's funny because my only experience with this standard is watching my friend play the Chariot deck and he said the thing that was disgusting in that deck was the interaction between W7 and Felidar Retreat. He actually didn't get a chance to copy W7's token in the matches I saw, and really I feel like if the opponent can answer either W7 or Chariot it's not the particular combination between them that actually breaks anything. Retreat + W7 is what makes it so you start a turn with 2 creatures and end a turn with 45 power on board.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

You end up just taking all the turns by casting epiphany and copying it with Galvanic Iteration so the actual wincon is trivial. It's either birds or Hall of Storm Giants.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Played a few games with it now and it's pretty fun. After never seeing the deck before now I ran into the mirror on like my third go lol. It was honestly pretty intense because a lot of your plays are pretty counter-spell resistant, between making copies of stuff and Galvanic Iteration itself having flashback.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What, historically, has been the strategic approach to counter or deal with or beat blue decks that just counter everything you do, draw shitloads of cards, and eventually win by not letting you play?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Go first and go under them, cast more than 2 spells a turn or pack a threat that's uncounterable like shifting ceratops or a man land, or a threat that's instant speed so you can force them to spend mana on their turn and then play unopposed on yours. How good those types of strategies are tend to be based on how effective those things are at actually applying pressure back at them. This is a little different than something like mono U tempo which wants to protect a creature with a curiosity effect so it's not quite as easy to deny with instant speed removal since this deck basically just wants to stall until you can't take another turn.

imweasel09 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

What, historically, has been the strategic approach to counter or deal with or beat blue decks that just counter everything you do, draw shitloads of cards, and eventually win by not letting you play?

Get off to a real fast start and mudhole stomp em, put out more threats than they can answer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leperflesh posted:

Counter spell costs 2 and a 2/1 costs 1.
Some creatures can come back from the GY.
Leyline of Lifeforce if you're desperate.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

I bought a prerelease kit and built a sealed deck with it for playing at home, and Poppet is really fun. Probably not good enough for any constructed format because it needs to survive a whole turn, but in UB tokens in limited, they priced decayed tokens so cheap that it's easy to get a lethal amount of 3/3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I bought a prerelease kit and built a sealed deck with it for playing at home, and Poppet is really fun. Probably not good enough for any constructed format because it needs to survive a whole turn, but in UB tokens in limited, they priced decayed tokens so cheap that it's easy to get a lethal amount of 3/3s.

Yeah, I'm not sure. My gut says that getting at minimum 3x 3/3s on your Epiphany turn(s) (something like six if you're copying it, right? Two from the casts, four from the Epiphany) is pure win-more, but that does basically just close any game out instantly. It also gives you enough punching power that you can turn a Hall into an Island. I'll probably do a fun or two of even if it's strictly worse than what I took out to fit them in. I think long term even if it does lose me a game here or there the equity from not having PTSD flashbacks of winning Nexus games by swinging with a 1/1 army token over and over will work out.

EDIT: 3 toughness on the stitcher does let it block a lot of annoying early game poo poo...

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 24, 2021