Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
between the haves not giving a poo poo about the price and the number of people willing to take out a 14 years note on a status vehicle, price gouging isnt really a problem for dealers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Sounds like the talk of a car enthusiast boomer. “look at all these car enthusiast millennials ruining car enthusiasm”

Nah it's more like "Look at these idiots paying twice the MSRP for a Bronco that can probably be had for at or even under MSRP in a few years"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nah it's more like "Look at these idiots paying twice the MSRP for a Bronco that can probably be had for at or even under MSRP in a few years"
There are already dealers doing deals at under MSRP.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of which, how stupid is it for me wanting a maverick on it's first model year? The hybrid is a new type, not exactly like the one they're using for the escape, right?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Isnt there a shred of hope that they will work out a way to have the Hybrid and AND Turbo together at some point?
Up until Ford said whoops its only hybrid in the base, I totally thought that was going to be a thing. Id kick myself id I got the base and that existed in a year or 2.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'd be more chuffed if they released a phev version on year 2.

Anyway, I was wondering more about it from a reliability perspective.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 24, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Franco Caution posted:

Isnt there a shred of hope that they will work out a way to have the Hybrid and AND Turbo together at some point?
Up until Ford said whoops its only hybrid in the base, I totally thought that was going to be a thing. Id kick myself id I got the base and that existed in a year or 2.

Extremely unlikely but they'll probably make a Maverick Raptor for 3 times the price after a year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kunabomber posted:

Speaking of which, how stupid is it for me wanting a maverick on it's first model year? The hybrid is a new type, not exactly like the one they're using for the escape, right?

I'm a huge Ford homer. I think I've owned 11 Ford vehicles so far in my life. My first brand new car was a 2000 Ford Focus. 8 of those 11 cars were purchased/leased brand new.

I do not recommend buying a first model year Ford vehicle. At all. The sweet spot on Ford vehicles is to buy after the mid cycle refresh when they've worked all the poo poo out. My 2013 Taurus, fantastic car. The 2017 Explorer we had was much better than the 2012 and 2014 Explorers we had. We have a 2020 Expedition right now (was new for 2018 model year) and it seems pretty solid so far, 2022 is the mid cycle refresh though.

Obviously I don't really keep my cars very long, so I can't tell you how they hold up for 120K miles. I've had my SHO over 7 years now, which is the longest period of time I've ever owned a car, but I started WFH about 4 years ago so it only has 76K miles on it and is in perfect condition. It's hard to justify spending money on something you don't use very often, so it's paid off just chilling in the garage.

Give them a year to work their poo poo out. Ford's track record the last couple of years has been trash. 2020 Explorers had issues, Lincolns have had issues, (there's a goon around here somewhere who almost had to lemon law his Lincoln, but he got out of it). Mach E is having issues. Mostly it's software from what I've seen, but the track record these last few years is just trash.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The general rule is to never buy a first model year vehicle if you can help it, and it sounds doubly true for Fords. A mid or end cycle model has all the fixes/upgrades too.

I'm waiting to see if they put out a PHEV or performance Maverick personally.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

I know the electric motor is a new in house Ford design. Surely they can't screw up an electric motor. (They absolutely can). The engine is probably solid, but I'm not sure what all is different in the CVT compared to the previous Ford hybrids. I am incredibly pessimistic when it comes to Fords transmissions; I was burned badly by the powershift, and the 6f35 in my Fusion is a pretty garbage performer.

That being said, if there's an AWD hybrid in 2 years when I'll be new car shopping I would seriously consider it after much research on how the initial ones fare.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab669 posted:

I saw a friend for the first time since the Before Times and he's apparently upgraded from some older Regal to a RC 350 in Infrared, and dang that's a nice red. It was quite overcast and gross yesterday and even still it looked spectacular.

There is some black RC parked on my street and I always thought it looked nice, but I've never really thought about it more than "Yea that looks pretty decent". But seeing it in a cool color made me really appreciate the shapes and everything. Made me miss owning a coupe :v:

When it's finally time for me to get a car, I'm going to take a serious look at the new Lexus sedan. V8 dadcar seems pretty fun.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skipdogg posted:

I do not recommend buying a first model year Ford vehicle. At all.

this is no poo poo. my mother's 2016 MKX was such a loving disaster that she drove a loaner for almost the entire two months she owned it before the dealer took it back and gave her another.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

When it's finally time for me to get a car, I'm going to take a serious look at the new Lexus sedan. V8 dadcar seems pretty fun.

If Lexus ever offers a hotter version of the IS500, it's going to be amazing. Although, even the new IS500 F-Sport with an aftermarket twin screw would be properly rowdy and still "subtle".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GS-F is cool

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this is no poo poo. my mother's 2016 MKX was such a loving disaster that she drove a loaner for almost the entire two months she owned it before the dealer took it back and gave her another.

Lawyer neighbor, same story.
He bought a first year Aviator and I swear at one point I just assumed he worked out a deal to purchase the vehicle with "Dealership Name Loaner" on the rear window, because it was in his garage so much.
My wife didnt believe his car was actually silver and just assumed the red loaner was his car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

GS-F is cool

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Franco Caution posted:

You can drive a Honda Mythbusters project: https://www.motortrend.com/news/hot-rod-honda-cr-z-motor-mythbusters-make-hybrid-turbo/

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks guys. I'll hold off on the Mav for now, and see if I can get a decent used truck to hold me over for the time being. Maybe I'll get a deal --- holy poo poo I'm hosed! :stare:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

The gouging comes around because there are people who don't care about how much something costs if it means having it first.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

That’s not even about getting it “first”. G-Wagon allocations are few and far between and you are not getting an AMG one unless you are best friends with the dealership already.

Because of this the used market is always nuts on them. That isn’t gouging, that is just the market.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

50 minute interview with the chief engineer of the new best truck

https://youtu.be/w5InMb0kEt8

That TRD Pro lightbar is going to look so sick taking up your entire rear view mirror

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is extra bad right now because AMG is not doing any V8 models for 2022 because of emission rules. So all x63 models are affected including this.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

skipdogg posted:

The sweet spot on Ford vehicles is to buy after the mid cycle refresh when they've worked all the poo poo out.

Sage advice. I had a second year (2012) Focus with the loathsome DPS6 powershift and it was such a pile of poo poo for that transmission. It was a fantastic car in every way except that goddamn transmission. I later had a 2017 Focus (post mid cycle refresh) and all the issues were worked out, and it was a very good car. I have a 2014 F150, which was the last year before the next generation aluminum F150 came out and it's been super solid. My wife has a 2019 F250 6.2L gas and it's been solid as a rock and tows horse trailers like nobody's business.

The take away is that Ford can make great vehicles, but production gets ahead of QA in every manufacturing process (I'm in QA at my shop) and the FTR is always where you work the kinks out and figure out what works, what doesn't, and where the continuous improvement can be made. I'm down to get a maverick, but I'll be waiting a little while. Also the one I want is $31k and that seems a bit steep for what amounts to an escape with a pickup bed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I got a 2019 Nautilus....which is just the updated MKX and I really like it. But I have had it at the dealership quite a bit as well. First.....the headliner had a rattle. They said it was the magnetic clips....so they replaced the entire thing and now it's good. But when I got the vehicle returned.....I started getting tire pressure monitor errors.....so I had to bring it back in to have them "recalibrate it". I've had three different loaners in the eight months I've had the vehicle. I mean....none of those issues were all that severe. Otherwise it's really nice. But the dash is outdated looking for a car that expensive. They completely redid the dash in the 2021s and I am jealous.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I just hit 1000 miles on my 2021 hybrid F-150 and no real issues so far. I'm just eagerly awaiting the BlueCruise update so I can try that.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wheeee posted:

50 minute interview with the chief engineer of the new best truck

https://youtu.be/w5InMb0kEt8

That TRD Pro lightbar is going to look so sick taking up your entire rear view mirror

Then all they need is one of the rear facing lightbars too so they can 'forget' to turn it off and blind everyone behind them. Love those.

I really wish anyone gave a poo poo about all the cars running around blinding people, either from light bars, lovely HID modzz, or headlights way out of adjustment.

Way more dangerous than someone going 5 mph over the limit or whatever in a 65. I should make some equipment that automatically tells you if the car passing you has any of that poo poo and sell it to law enforcement. Might as well put them to work actually solving an issue that's dangerous to everyone.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zero One posted:

I just hit 1000 miles on my 2021 hybrid F-150 and no real issues so far. I'm just eagerly awaiting the BlueCruise update so I can try that.

Insert ominous music

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Then all they need is one of the rear facing lightbars too so they can 'forget' to turn it off and blind everyone behind them. Love those.

I really wish anyone gave a poo poo about all the cars running around blinding people, either from light bars, lovely HID modzz, or headlights way out of adjustment.

Way more dangerous than someone going 5 mph over the limit or whatever in a 65. I should make some equipment that automatically tells you if the car passing you has any of that poo poo and sell it to law enforcement. Might as well put them to work actually solving an issue that's dangerous to everyone.

Yeah, you really feel this driving on undivided highways at night. I dont mind driving at night but I sure as hell don't like driving at night with miniature sun's in my face.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I got a 2019 Nautilus....which is just the updated MKX and I really like it. But I have had it at the dealership quite a bit as well. First.....the headliner had a rattle. They said it was the magnetic clips....so they replaced the entire thing and now it's good. But when I got the vehicle returned.....I started getting tire pressure monitor errors.....so I had to bring it back in to have them "recalibrate it". I've had three different loaners in the eight months I've had the vehicle. I mean....none of those issues were all that severe. Otherwise it's really nice. But the dash is outdated looking for a car that expensive. They completely redid the dash in the 2021s and I am jealous.

Oooh! I have a '21 Nautilus, which was a swap from my lemon' 20 Corsair. I'm only a few months into the Nautilus but it's been problem-free so far. The local Lincoln dealer sucks, and not having to see them monthly has been great.

Edit - I'm the lemon law goon. Corsair lost its wiper arms in a rainstorm. Arms on indefinite backorder, Lincoln bought me out of the lease and into an equivalent Nautilus for the same monthly payment. Losing the wipers was the cherry on top of a turd. Which is a shame because the Corsair was great when it wasn't in the shop.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 26, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Give them a year to work their poo poo out. Ford's track record the last couple of years has been trash. 2020 Explorers had issues, Lincolns have had issues, (there's a goon around here somewhere who almost had to lemon law his Lincoln, but he got out of it). Mach E is having issues. Mostly it's software from what I've seen, but the track record these last few years is just trash.

My wife was all in on the mach E and I've been telling her this. No way we are getting the first model year, probably not the second either until I hear that all the issues have been worked out.

Now she has set her sights on the Audi E Tron god help me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Police here regularly set up during rush hour when traffic is is locked up not moving for long minutes at a time before creeping forward a bit and parking again, they hide behind trees and poo poo and watch for people to pick up or reach to their phones, then pull them over and give them a $360 ticket with points on their license. Next day the police crow to the local media about the hundreds of citations they handed out keeping our roads safe.

I honestly don’t even think that poo poo, or the speed traps always set up exactly where people will be speeding due to the limit being lower than expected for the road conditions or suddenly changing, is done out of malice to generate revenue so much as stupidity and laziness. Actually actively participating in traffic and watching for unsafe driving is hard and doesn’t let you brag about handing out 400 tickets in an afternoon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair tho, it's probably a lot harder to see people on their phones when they're doing 65-80

But yeah still a bastard maneuver

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There was a period of time over here when cops would sit on the upper level of buses and peer down into cars to catch people on their phones.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Meanwhile shitbrain Harley guys ride around with straight pipes unimpeded

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife was all in on the mach E and I've been telling her this. No way we are getting the first model year, probably not the second either until I hear that all the issues have been worked out.

Now she has set her sights on the Audi E Tron god help me
Big Mach-E recall today on windshields and roofs coming unglued, leaking, popping out.

That makes 3 product launches where Ford can't install a windshield on the first try (Explorer/Aviator, F150, Mach-E).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Goober Peas posted:

Oooh! I have a '21 Nautilus, which was a swap from my lemon' 20 Corsair. I'm only a few months into the Nautilus but it's been problem-free so far. The local Lincoln dealer sucks, and not having to see them monthly has been great.

Edit - I'm the lemon law goon. Corsair lost its wiper arms in a rainstorm. Arms on indefinite backorder, Lincoln bought me out of the lease and into an equivalent Nautilus for the same monthly payment. Losing the wipers was the cherry on top of a turd. Which is a shame because the Corsair was great when it wasn't in the shop.

I'll swap for a newer Nautilus in a few years. That's if they are still making it. I feel like I read that they are not continuing it.....which wouldn't make any sense to me. Maybe an Aviator next.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Meanwhile shitbrain Harley guys ride around with straight pipes unimpeded

This has been bugging me more and more lately. Absolutely never ever enforced probably because the cops have the same stupid thing in their garage.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'll swap for a newer Nautilus in a few years. That's if they are still making it. I feel like I read that they are not continuing it.....which wouldn't make any sense to me. Maybe an Aviator next.

2022 or 2023 is the last year for it. It and the Edge are the last things Ford sells here on the Fusion platform.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

opengl128 posted:

This has been bugging me more and more lately. Absolutely never ever enforced probably because the cops have the same stupid thing in their garage.

LoUd PiPeS sAvE LiVeS *doesnt wear a helmet or leathers*

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Is it getting worse or were american cities always this loud?

I live close to a freeway on-ramp which means I get the best of straightpipe douchenozzles of all sorts. The bikers are by far the worse because they also have overpowered sound systems playing at max. It’s reverberates louder in my living room than I would feel comfortable setting my own home theater. My only solace is knowing they will be deaf in a few years, but that type probably doesn't need to hear anyone else anyways.

It makes me want to go back to Tokyo where somehow the biggest super-city in the world is still quieter than SF which I thought was a hippy town???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

LoUd PiPeS sAvE LiVeS *doesnt wear a helmet or leathers*

Even if it were true, and it's not, it would be irrelevant. Loud pipes on vehicles are horrendous noise pollution with distinctly harmful effects on people within a large radius. My gf has hearing damage from concerts when she was younger and a piece of poo poo on his babydick Harley riding by two blocks away can set off her tinnitus.

They are vermin and should be removed from the road entirely.