Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Read in a book about Bowe Bergdahl how American troops happily set up in a cemetery. When told it was a cemetery by local, they didn't leave, at least not until they desecrated some graves. Even peeing on one IIRC. This was in Matt Farwell's book on Bergdahl (and by extension Afghanistan)

Panfilo posted:

I've been seeing a lot of stuff now of people trying to frame Afghan war vets in the same category as Vietnam War vets. Along that line, how much of the "we were spit on and called baby killers" really happened to Vietnam War veterans returning home?

Do mercenaries get called veterans? Because US troops were just mercenaries for oil and lithium concerns as well as cover for ludicrous amounts of money laundering and embezzlement in the DOD.

I mean, ask them why they joined. Most are gonna say the GI bill or otherwise make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Panfilo posted:

So the vets insisting it happened to them are just lying? Is this like how it is with alien abduction stories, where back to a certain point in time nobody talked about getting abducted by aliens then when it happened to one person coincidentally many other people had similar stories?

Yes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

vets being called baby killers and spat on at airports was just the era's version of the culture war. it's the same as right wingers today swearing up and down that they saw single black moms with 8 kids buying steak with food stamps and driving a cadillac

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Ken Burns Vietnam War mom who claimed an anti war activist asked her to join the cause because the war killed her son and she threatened to kill the activist definitely happened I bet sure thing.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

vets being called baby killers and spat on at airports was just the era's version of the culture war. it's the same as right wingers today swearing up and down that they saw single black moms with 8 kids buying steak with food stamps and driving a cadillac

I don't care, still wanna spit on those vets

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Panfilo posted:

So the vets insisting it happened to them are just lying? Is this like how it is with alien abduction stories, where back to a certain point in time nobody talked about getting abducted by aliens then when it happened to one person coincidentally many other people had similar stories?

A large part of UK Boomers think they fought in WW2.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

A large part of UK Gen-Xers think they fought in WW2.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

genericnick posted:

The thing about the 'spitting' incidents is that they are impossible to verify either way. Pretty simple to prove some gammon couldn't have possibly served during WWII. But how would you prove that a bunch of veterans never actually had pigs blood thrown on them when leaving the airport in their uniform?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

The Ken Burns Vietnam War mom who claimed an anti war activist asked her to join the cause because the war killed her son and she threatened to kill the activist definitely happened I bet sure thing.

im certain like 90% of the poo poo every american interviewed in that doc series said is bullshit, especially the Hal Kushner parts. transparently made up bullshit

half of them are guys who have been getting cheques for retelling the same stories since the 80s, including the guy who admitted to raping a young girl with his buddies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixOyiR8B-8

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nonsense posted:

lol I remember her

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bedpan posted:

A large part of UK Gen-Xers think they fought in WW2.

I can't wait until I'm old enough to have fought in ww2

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

they were paying for that ????

Yeah it's a good job if you can get it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Communist Thoughts posted:

I can't wait until I'm old enough to have fought in ww2

I can't wait until I'm young enough to fight in WW3

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i call vets baby killers all the time i hope those stories were true

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What did veterinarians ever do to any of you or your babies

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

What did veterinarians ever do to any of you or your babies

they cut my cats something out so it could never have more cats.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Conspiratiorist posted:

Vietnam vets were drafted.

Afghan vets, at best, joined because of "economic anxiety".

what a weird way to spell "murderous rapey psychopathy"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL that was no accident

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

“guess who gets to be the stay-behind crew? it’s your lucky day!”

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

petit choux posted:

LOL that was no accident

In the grim dark future of TYOOL 2021, imperial dogs are still surprised they get sold out by their handlers whenever convenient

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That's right.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Huh, the more you know

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

What the absolute gently caress. McCain was a war hero and the ace of the North Vietnamese air force.

ridiculous to call him 'the' ace, unlike the americans the north vietnamese had a ton of aces

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

“guess who gets to be the stay-behind crew? it’s your lucky day!”

For people not familiar with VOA, it's basically a propaganda arm of the US government/State Department with many stations being directly funded by the CIA.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3648&context=lcp

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I've been seeing a lot of stuff now of people trying to frame Afghan war vets in the same category as Vietnam War vets. Along that line, how much of the "we were spit on and called baby killers" really happened to Vietnam War veterans returning home?

That was a talking point that was spread throughout the US without any evidence at all, regardless of whether it happened. I was a small child when Vietnam ended and I remember my mother telling me that story and even then it was anecdotal, no specific instance of it happening. TBF it probably did happen more than once, as US soldiers were killing lots of babies, mostly from the air, and some Americans disapproved strongly of killing babies.

Corollary: this is why there are so many religionists in the air force. They have a lot of blood on their hands and need the big father in the sky to assuage their guilt.

petit choux has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Sep 24, 2021

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Panfilo posted:

If you signed up for active duty during the time of the US occupation of Afghanistan then you chose to go kill poor people in a country you didn't belong. Anyone who made that choice deserves to hear about it forever. There was no protecting of America. There was only pain and death as part of a jobs program set up by loving monsters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

petit choux posted:

That was a talking point that was spread throughout the US without any evidence at all, regardless of whether it happened. I was a small child when Vietnam ended and I remember my mother telling me that story and even then it was anecdotal, no specific instance of it happening. TBF it probably did happen more than once, as US soldiers were killing lots of babies, mostly from the air, and some Americans disapproved strongly of killing babies.

I think most of the meltdown by military was how similar to cops they have meltdown when they don't get the worship treatment and get called out what their real job responsibilities.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

etalian posted:

I guess they will end up in UAE next?

The failson hired a DC lobbyist team so I'm guessing he'll be hitting the alt right grifting circuit next (Liberation funds)
I'd give pretty good odds he'll be on Twitter with Don Jr. at least once.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

petit choux posted:

I'd give pretty good odds he'll be on Twitter with Don Jr. at least once.

The photo of that newspaper saying "He has a good chance of winning / inspiring leader!" on the same front cover showing a majority of Panjshir had
already been captured by the Taliban was pretty hilarious.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Which means Tony Blair is considering bio terror as an option.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tony blair looks like ron paul in that picture

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

no cmon man! :doh:

think! :mad:

war on christmas, we gotta take the imperialism and turn inwards domestically duh :raise:

You joke but how else could this go? The war machine needs fodder and we have spent too much time making GBS threads where we eat. And our police think of their citizens as enemy combatants. Are we going to "liberate" Mexico now? Canada?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

petit choux posted:

Corollary: this is why there are so many religionists in the air force. They have a lot of blood on their hands and need the big father in the sky to assuage their guilt.

it’s actually because a mega-church is literally next door to the college they send all their officers through

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s actually because a mega-church is literally next door to the college they send all their officers through

More of a chicken or the egg proposition really

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A Bakers Cousin posted:

its going to be the literal same as Vietnam

Oh we (the military, America, my unit, the SEALS) didnt lose, it was X (the afghan army, government, American support, Obama, whatever)

LOL one of the reasons I quit my last job was I had to spend a lot of time working with an old superior who was a celebrated Vietnam hero. He was constantly bragging about his service and what a tough guy he'd been, and told me a few times that he was from the old guard, the original guys that were sent to Vietnam and it wasn't until the next generation of conscripts, who smoked marijuana, that the war started going badly. He always had me figured for a potsmoker, which given that I wasn't smoking dope at the time was pretty canny, I have to say. He made it clear numerous times that it was people like me who were responsible for the US losing in Vietnam and that he didn't like the looks of me. Incidentally I never mentioned marijuana and never got high at that time. I do now.

He always made a point of telling me I resembled that generation of failsons that were responsible for losing the war. He also told me I looked like a pilot he knew then who drank on the job all the time, concluding with chuckle and a "He got kilt," always in an increasingly menacing tone LOL. Incidentally, I didn't smoke weed or drink on the job and I was an infant during Vietnam.

When work ends all the colleagues, most of whom are retired deputies or state troopers, all gather round to eagerly listen to him tell what a badass he was back in the day. He's almost too feeble to speak clearly throughout the day in work but he always perks up when it's time to regale the colleagues with what a hero he was. It's always the fault of the weak and impure that we lose and only the heroes inside the fortress that know that. Our brave leaders never betray us but those weaklings we're sacrificing our lives for do all the time. They don't even deserve us.

His son is a career soldier and celebrated Iraq/Afghanistan hero and his dad is grooming him to be the next superior in that county.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

petit choux posted:

LOL one of the reasons I quit my last job was I had to spend a lot of time working with an old superior who was a celebrated Vietnam hero. He was constantly bragging about his service and what a tough guy he'd been, and told me a few times that he was from the old guard, the original guys that were sent to Vietnam and it wasn't until the next generation of conscripts, who smoked marijuana, that the war started going badly. He always had me figured for a potsmoker, which given that I wasn't smoking dope at the time was pretty canny, I have to say. He made it clear numerous times that it was people like me who were responsible for the US losing in Vietnam and that he didn't like the looks of me. Incidentally I never mentioned marijuana and never got high at that time. I do now.

He always made a point of telling me I resembled that generation of failsons that were responsible for losing the war. He also told me I looked like a pilot he knew then who drank on the job all the time, concluding with chuckle and a "He got kilt," always in an increasingly menacing tone LOL. Incidentally, I didn't smoke weed or drink on the job and I was an infant during Vietnam.

When work ends all the colleagues, most of whom are retired deputies or state troopers, all gather round to eagerly listen to him tell what a badass he was back in the day. He's almost too feeble to speak clearly throughout the day in work but he always perks up when it's time to regale the colleagues with what a hero he was. It's always the fault of the weak and impure that we lose and only the heroes inside the fortress that know that. Our brave leaders never betray us but those weaklings we're sacrificing our lives for do all the time. They don't even deserve us.

His son is a career soldier and celebrated Iraq/Afghanistan hero and his dad is grooming him to be the next superior in that county.

military mythology is the funniest goddamned thing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

military mythology is the funniest goddamned thing

Even more if you study the actual history of wars the US lost like the Vietnam War.

The US never had a edge either on strategic or tactical level even with the massive amount of spending in the war plus a attempt for troop surge to win one last major battle.

The US used the same amount of bombs at Khe San as in all of WWII but still ending losing the war decisively.

The NVA/Vietcong by comparison on a military level did everything right in terms of overall strategy, goals, leadership and troop motivation.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

Even more if you study the actual history of wars the US lost like the Vietnam War.

The US never had a edge either on strategic or tactical level even with the massive amount of spending in the war plus a attempt for troop surge to win one last major battle.

The US used the same amount of bombs at Khe San as in all of WWII but still ending losing the war decisively.

The NVA/Vietcong by comparison on a military level did everything right in terms of overall strategy, goals, leadership and troop motivation.

but muh "we weren't serious enough that time" rhetoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Palladium posted:

but muh "we weren't serious enough that time" rhetoric

its true that we weren't serious enough about it in that we didn't invade the north, instead we invaded random other countries.

now, invading the north could've involved attacking the soviets leading to a nuclear war but are you serious or not?