Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

They sell Miyoko's vegan butter here even at Trader Joes and local grocers, which is pretty good. https://miyokos.com/collections/vegan-butter

the best vegan cheeses I've had have been from local vegan butcher/deli shops that make it inhouse. Costco sells a giant bag of vegan moz for a good price which works alright; it had kinda a vaguely strange aftertaste so I wasn't a super fan but it was fine on homemade pizzas with enough toppings. I preferred Trader Joes cashew cheese.

there was a vegan pizza shop that opened during early in the pandemic but sadly closed up earlier this year. it was really really loving good pizza though god drat, i actually preferred it over dairy-pizza. I wish I could get that 'moz.

is cashew cheese actually much better than cow cheese in terms of resource consumption? (not emissions, but one could also consider the emissions from its being shipped worldwide)

it’s certainly worse in terms of immediate human suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Also I mean, idk where the $7500 came from. I read 20-40k plus $1k/ year payment for ever (HOA? loving probably).

Even at 20k...you could easily make your own bunker. Just rent a backhoe and a concrete contractor and put it in your yard.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

is cashew cheese actually much better than cow cheese in terms of resource consumption? (not emissions, but one could also consider the emissions from its being shipped worldwide)

it’s certainly worse in terms of immediate human suffering

weird, they dont have this as part of the product story on the package

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Basic Poster posted:

Also I mean, idk where the $7500 came from. I read 20-40k plus $1k/ year payment for ever (HOA? loving probably).

Even at 20k...you could easily make your own bunker. Just rent a backhoe and a concrete contractor and put it in your yard.

Can't, HOA bylaws prevent bunker construction. Growing food for that matter too.

America is a free country. That's why we have laws dictating what type of grass is to be planted in your yard, what length it must be (with minimum and maximum lengths), and that you must grow it at literally all costs. We will be coming by with a ruler to measure the grass length. :911:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

I didn't mean talk about it in terms of personal or goon based practicality...more in terms of lol...what are the predictions on a business boom of a bunch of doomsday profiteers selling these all over to a bunch of insurance salesmen or anyone else making 6+ figures that are dumb enough to think it's a wise investment to carry on their fat and skill-less progeny

oh, sure. I was just commenting that north daktoa above ground bunkers was dumb and that they should be advertising secret hidden iowa bunkers

My plan is to setup in some of the more elaborate cave systems. Way better ambiance than a bunker. It's like you are living in the non-vault parts of Fallout/Skyrim

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

fits my needs posted:

weird, they dont have this as part of the product story on the package

cashews high iron content is provided by the workers blood as they get the cashews out, its like a free nutritional bonus

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I like how that map has population centers marked for nuclear destruction, and not the silos and bases dotted around in the northern midwest.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'm 3/4 through Ministry of the Future, there's a lot of finding out going on, Indian terrorists, after a heatwave kills 20M, just go out and murder the richest people on earth, good poo poo.

Then Blockchain is put up as a solution to income inequality lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't find the source now but I remember reading that the idea of silos in the mid-west being targets was overblown because the Russians (probably wisely) figured they'll be launching nukes at empty fields that had likely long since fired off their missiles and that unless they got a direct strike they probably wouldn't disable a silo anyway. I think by the 80s nuclear strategy was largely to just to try and kill as many of the other team's civilians as possible so they couldn't rebuild as fast as you could.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1438920582331047948
https://twitter.com/Grady_Booch/status/1438983046758236161
https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1438962527648559110

One of the few upsides to the death of civilization is that this ideology will die with it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I can't find the source now but I remember reading that the idea of silos in the mid-west being targets was overblown because the Russians

This is real true. All the in ground atlas silos have pretty much been abandoned anyways in favor of nuke armed subs.

There are some pretty good sized ammo storage depot's dotted around the landscape that predate real good satellite imagery so now they are easily findable. Those are a strategic target I bet in foreign scenarios. The one in Hawthorne us built a top a major fault line (lol).

I think the last big thought was that the Russians best play would be to throw Tzar Bomba at Yellowstone and let nature do the rest. So again, lol at putting safe spaces in the Dakota's

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

This is real true. All the in ground atlas silos have pretty much been abandoned anyways in favor of nuke armed subs.

There are some pretty good sized ammo storage depot's dotted around the landscape that predate real good satellite imagery so now they are easily findable. Those are a strategic target I bet in foreign scenarios. The one in Hawthorne us built a top a major fault line (lol).

I think the last big thought was that the Russians best play would be to throw Tzar Bomba at Yellowstone and let nature do the rest. So again, lol at putting safe spaces in the Dakota's

the map does show the main us missile bases, but they yeah just get a small red dot for each nuke lol. versus the massive yellow death zones of riots

also that map does "show" the yellowstone erruption on it :v:

its that slightly darkened area completely localized around yellowstone, no larger impacts on the surrounding states at all you see!

1 yellowstone erruption = 1 chicago sized riot

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i remember buying vegan jerky by accident and it was a terrible mistake.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

same and it even had to be refrigerated wtf

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Unless posted:

finally got around to adding this to Plex and AW YEA PUT THAT BRUTAL CRITICISM IT IN MY VEINS

If anyone hasn't seen this it's on Youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ironic that american genetic diversity will also just turn into a corncob

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if the red dots are nukes then north dakota is gonna get hit with more nukes than it has people

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
EVERYTHING SUCKS SO MUCH LMAO

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just picture Al Pacino screaming "GATTACA" over and over again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1438920582331047948

One of the few upsides to the death of civilization is that this ideology will die with it.

FdB has spent a lot of time writing about this very predictable problem. the thing is, white liberals love upholding a neoliberal meritocracy and refuse to do social action that would mitigate inequality by pretending inequality doesn't exist; it's opportunity. they scream that genes actually don't matter. but they do. yet libs say they don't which taken to it's logical liberal conclusion means, so why does it matter if rich people do this if it doesn't matter?

quote:

The rude thing is… I just don’t believe people, on this issue. When they say that they think all people have the same innate ability to perform well in school or on other cognitive tasks, that any difference is environmental, what I think inside is, I don’t believe that you believe that. When researchers in genetics and evolution who believe that the genome influences every aspect of our physiological selves say that they don’t believe that the genome has any influence on our behavioral selves, what I think inside is, I don’t believe you. I think people feel compelled to say this stuff because the idea of intrinsic differences in academic ability offend their sense of justice, and because the social and professional consequences of appearing to believe that idea are profound. But I think everyone who ever went to school as a kid knew in their heart back then that some kids were just smarter than others, and I think most people quietly believe that now. Like I said, it’s rude. But I can’t shake it.

What liberals don’t like, they mock. What they cannot refute, they ridicule.

Within 50 years, perhaps within 30, rich parents will routinely pay to have children whose genomes have been manipulated or selected for higher intelligence and other attractive qualities. I do not know what specific technologies will enable this to happen, but I do know that it will happen. And when the monetary elite uses genetic science to further strengthen the unearned dynastic advantages of their progeny, locking in the privileges that they already enjoy and pass down through inheritance, DNA, and our rotten system … what will the people attacking Paige have to say about it? What arguments will they be able to muster, against genetic engineering for those who can afford it, after decades of denying that genes matter in human behavior at all? What smarmy little jokes will the liberal gene denialists tell then? Saying “eugenics” won’t ward off that future. Saying “Gattaca” won’t ward off that future. Saying “Charles Murray” won’t ward off that future. Nothing can prevent a future in which our technological capacity to manipulate the genome has ever-increasing social consequences, almost certainly very bad ones.

The only thing you can do is to have an honest conversation about the fundamental fact of our species, that life is not fair, and a corollary of that fact, that we are not all equal in our abilities. You can then hope that the conversation sparks social action that mitigates, in whatever way possible, that ubiquitous unfairness.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Sep 24, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Homeless Friend posted:

there's maybe 2 good vegan jerkys and a million disgusting ones

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BIG HEADLINE posted:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Xaris posted:

FdB has spent a lot of time writing about this very predictable problem. the thing is, white liberals love upholding a neoliberal meritocracy and refuse to do social action that would mitigate inequality by pretending inequality doesn't exist; it's opportunity. they scream that genes actually don't matter. but they do. yet libs say they don't which taken to it's logical liberal conclusion means, so why does it matter if rich people do this if it doesn't matter?

Eh, the genes don't really matter that much for behavior.

What the problem is, is a repeat of what we have done to the natural world, but our already shallow gene pool.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:lmao:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

StratGoatCom posted:

What the problem is, is a repeat of what we have done to the natural world, but our already shallow gene pool.

imagine learning about things like french winery collapse and banana blight and then deciding to do the same to our kids lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there also seems to be an underlying assumption that their genes are superior and that filtering them out will only increase the gap between their child and nonwhites. not sure if that’s gonna hold up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StratGoatCom posted:

They absolutely do. Many neurosis/behaviors are inheritable even when isolated from being raised by biological parents. alcoholism/addiction, anxiety, depression, autism, whatever you name it. the basic drive for most of our brain functions arises out of various dopamine/serotonin/size of adrenal glands/etc and the brain is just another organ; just like anything like maculate degeneration is inheritable. it's never a for sure thing but it's a strong statistical predictor. that is not a bad thing that it is such -- infact, it's fine. there's also other factors like pollution that also matter (boomer lead brains), but generally been proven that a lot of the human genome and outcomes carry some predictability. that's precisely the problem with genetic engineering is that it does matter and we live in a society where inequality is used for exploitation and only further entrenching the elite power. absent destruction of the biosphere, it isn't that far-fetched that rich people could one day turn into a lite-form of peter watt's vampires.

gene pools isn't a real problem: its only going to be gatekept for the wealthy 1% anyways and they will need many slaves in the future to work their dystopia neofeudal plot. and human race has been substantially smaller many times over (and will be small again sometime in the future).

fortunately the biosphere is collapsing so we don't have to worry

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

there's maybe 2 good vegan jerkys and a million disgusting ones

true of all vegan things, not just jerkys, unfortunately

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mawarannahr posted:

there also seems to be an underlying assumption that their genes are superior and that filtering them out will only increase the gap between their child and nonwhites. not sure if that’s gonna hold up.

It's intrinsically stupid because if your kid also does this you're setting up khan to have 0% of your crap bag genes anyway. A better gene will eventually be found for every gene you passed on.

Which doesn't matter, but these people are apparently trying to cement inequality in a future world which doesn't even contain residual traces of themselves, except their ideology.

Simultaneously supremacist and also destroying the race.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
What if we just eat the babies

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzNMqqKCi8&t=23s

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
don't let my posting about eating bugs fool you, i'm eating people at a the drop of a hat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

fortunately the biosphere is collapsing so we don't have to worry

This is also why I stopped caring about AI, automation etc. It's not going to happen because we will literally die before it does. Also good luck doing any of that without chips lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Basic Poster posted:

that's what ive been saying!!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I signed up to be a bone marrow donor like 10 years ago and they have never called, so yeah right like I'm gonna join the bunker candidate pool, my luck at skill/bio makeup based bingo is trash I'll be out here laying my super rich genetically engineered baby traps (I bait them with glitter, fancy liquors and ground up Adderall)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

someone that signs up to have the inside of their bones extracted for a stranger are deffo getting a cot in the bunker but one day they may want all your bones

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

have you considered

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eating is literally sustenance so eating sustainably is tautology

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nuts, avocados, dairy.

Sustainable :shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i don't think there is a way for Americans to eat sustainably at this point