Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shabadu posted:

Moder with 4 other players with wolves and golems aggroing out of nowhere was a suitably chaotic and challenging (and fun) experience whereas the other 4 were either too boring or easy or cheeseable or unfinished.

See Moder was the easiest for me. I just burned him down with arrows. No prep work other than “have a lot of arrows”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rhymenoserous posted:

See Moder was the easiest for me. I just burned him down with arrows. No prep work other than “have a lot of arrows”

She literally has eggs all around the map that you gather to summon her.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't like portals but I'm a weird rear end in a top hat that beat Witcher 3 without fast traveling and only walking when in a town, including Novigrad. That's how I like it, but I think a lot of people want fast travel.

Modern games need fast travel to hide their 98% empty worlds that they made to brag about how large it is

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
If you want to move ores quickly. Logout to another seed. Dump ores in container. Log back to original seed. Portal to intended destination. Logout and log back with your ill gotten ores you lazy git.

e: or just install a mod for it ofcourse.

Ikonoklast fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 23, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blaise330 posted:

Modern games need fast travel to hide their 98% empty worlds that they made to brag about how large it is

It's pretty funny the Yakuza map is 45 seconds wide and still has fast travel

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blaise330 posted:

God, yes.

Case in point: Even though I just said all that about portals and W3, I'm currently playing through Assassins Creed: Valhalla and I started enjoying the game a lot more when I began focusing almost exclusively on the main quest and liberally fast traveling. Like you say, the open world in that game is so hollow that ignoring it makes a dramatic improvement.

On the other hand, Ghost Recon breakpoint, played on harder difficulty and with few UI aids, is a legitimately good stealth/action game and, interestingly, the open world isn't any more detailed than Valhalla but, because the game play is based on stealth that can devolve into punishing firefights and there are unique mechanics like hiding from drones, the overland travel still feels meaningful. But also, Breakpoint's fast travel locations are more like staging areas; you never teleport to exactly where you need to be, it's always a secluded camp that you have to move out from, which made much more likely to use them. Underappreciated game.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 23, 2021

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I finally found some tar and used it all to make a big roof. It's alright I guess, looks cool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've also been using Terraheim and Epic Loot to spice up the game, which were also included in this modpack called Valheim Reforged that came out yesterday and I ended up downloading since it felt fairly lightweight. Even alone the game feels so much fun and I have many more fiddly bits like magic weapons to play around with. I might revert the mod allowing metal teleportation just because I do legitimately enjoy building new outposts and hauling freight between them.

Hopefully the modder working on Valheim Reforged gets around to integrating the new monster mods from before while keeping Magic Overhaul out, or at least letting it be disabled. I dunno why Do or Die needs Magic Overhaul to work, I just don't care for the class system it adds.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I think portals in their current incarnation would be perfectly fine if you didn't need hundreds of pounds of metal to make a loving helmet.

In fact a lot of my problems with the game would be solved if that weren't the case.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jabarto posted:

I think portals in their current incarnation would be perfectly fine if you didn't need hundreds of pounds of metal to make a loving helmet.

In fact a lot of my problems with the game would be solved if that weren't the case.

Yeah the weights are completely messed up. It takes 240 pounds of iron ingots to make a 15 pound shirt of mail. The belt that increases max weight capacity helps but then you're down one of your precious inventory slots.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My favorite is combining tin and copper into bronze, which weighs as much as copper.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rarbatrol posted:

My favorite is combining tin and copper into bronze, which weighs as much as copper.

You’re right, it should weigh as much as both combined!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

After the adjustment, I'm liking the food system changes a lot more than I thought I would or expected to given the discourse around them. My current group and I started a new world and I stood up a dedicated server and we've been having a blast figuring things out (shout out to that docker image by lloesche by the way - as a non computer toucher I got an old Mac mini running Ubuntu and that image in my basement, wired in to my router, in around 2 hours, much of which was spent downloading things). We did bring our gear and our spare metal, but have had to get more of all of them for various things. It can be confusing learning what food is optimal effort/reward and how to balance stamina and health, and starting on a new server our farm was much smaller at first and that's made getting good stamina food a lot harder. That said, now we're reliably producing enough turnips and onions for our group, things are feeling better and I'm looking forward to bread way more than I thought I would be.

Situated ourselves on a little island with the elder and a small and entirely tamed slice of plains for farming in the southwest of the map, Bonemass east across the water, a huge mountain west across the water with some visible towers where fingers crossed there could be a vegvisir. I'm really looking forward to getting our gear up and trying yagluth with this group.

We have a builder in the crew who doesn't want us to kill elder until he finishes his great hall because of invasions, so I built a big stake wall and trench and am hoping he'll come around to us progressing the bosses - we brought our metals and gear to the new world and are basically ready to kill Moder except for this holdup and I want to put all the barley and flax I've farmed to use. Hunting lox and tar in unupgraded silver armor is fun, but it's tough. I suppose I should go farm out some more silver from one of the like five or six nodes I've discovered but I'm too busy exploring to deal with shipping.

Anyway, game good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Also when you melt down scrap iron into an ingot it gains 2 pounds/kilos/whatever the unit is.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Welp, I just got mauled by wolves, then respawned into a troll invasion, then died again to a 1-star wolf that didn't despawn overnight and mauled right through my bronze gear.

I really hope we get some kind of softcore mode that doesn't drop items (or at least not equipped items) on death because "corpse runs" are loving godawful chores than never should have outlasted Everquest 1.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Jabarto posted:

Welp, I just got mauled by wolves, then respawned into a troll invasion, then died again to a 1-star wolf that didn't despawn overnight and mauled right through my bronze gear.

I really hope we get some kind of softcore mode that doesn't drop items (or at least not equipped items) on death because "corpse runs" are loving godawful chores than never should have outlasted Everquest 1.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1068

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still think Boat Stuff that isn’t fighting sea serpents could be a good answer to portal woes. The issue isn’t just that portals don’t move metal but that the only way to move metal is a potentially long boat ride where preferably nothing happens. Who knows what is actually possible to execute in the game but giving Vikings nothing to do on the ocean but move from point to point is my biggest peeve with the game. We could fish/trawl, whale hunt, maybe there could be floating wrecks to find, literal ghost ships, I’m going to guess swimming will never ever be a thing but on the outside chance it might be we could dive for treasure.

Wait gently caress I just made Black Flag.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They did say that an update they want to do is expanding sea-based stuff.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I've been doing another playthrough with the Hearth and Home update. This time, I've gotten more invested in farming and breeding animals, even captured a 1-star wolf to tame.

Obligatory base photos:

first house and smithing pagoda

first house, from front

kitchen

workshop and storage

smithing pagoda

tiered farm, no plants currently

wolf pen

wolf kennel (with fire and deer pelts so they can be cozy)

boar pen

a WIP throne room and bedroom, still looking for enough tar to finish the roof

throne room (also WIP)

bedroom

overall

bonus: swamp base on top of crypt

I am extremely pleased with the new 1x1 walls and the upside down side roof pieces. The new wall pieces have allowed me to make aggressive use of curved corners in the base, and I'm solving the problem of "square roofs only" with some cute beam placement. I'm hoping to experiment more with the new dark wood pieces as I come across more tar, we'll see how the base continues to develop.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Has anyone had trouble taming boars this patch? I found a two-star one that spent all of its time huddled in the corner of my pen, and once it was tamed it immediately bolted out the door and went back to the runestone where I found it and eventually died when a gray dwarf attacked it.

I found two others and managed to tame those, but they just won't breed. I keep tossing in raspberries and they keep eating them, but no offspring.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Jabarto posted:

Has anyone had trouble taming boars this patch? I found a two-star one that spent all of its time huddled in the corner of my pen, and once it was tamed it immediately bolted out the door and went back to the runestone where I found it and eventually died when a gray dwarf attacked it.

I found two others and managed to tame those, but they just won't breed. I keep tossing in raspberries and they keep eating them, but no offspring.

It works for me? I was successfully capturing and breeding newly caught 2-star boar today. They like raspberries and everything as usual. Were any of the boar panicked?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

It works for me? I was successfully capturing and breeding newly caught 2-star boar today. They like raspberries and everything as usual. Were any of the boar panicked?

I don't think so, else they wouldn't have ever gotten tame. Only thing I can think of is that the boars that spawn around the runestone that tells you how to domesticate them behave differently in that regard.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Do you have a fire of any kind (including torches) near them? Boars are dumb and are terrified of fire, even if it's behind a wall

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

the only way to move metal is a potentially long boat ride where preferably nothing happens. [...] We could fish/trawl, whale hunt, maybe there could be floating wrecks to find, literal ghost ships, I’m going to guess swimming will never ever be a thing but on the outside chance it might be we could dive for treasure..

I will absolutely not dive for treasure with 150 iron in my boat, in fact I will beach the longship the moment the weather becomes slightly inclement if I have to account for ghost ships or whales.

otoh I played that Raft survival game for a bit a while back and that was kind of cute, I don't expect Valheim to let me construct a floating viking fortress but a bunch of ship upgrades to passively soak up resources while traveling and maybe the odd floating, harpoonable treasure chest might make it more enticing.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My biggest wish for boats is a cabin and storage so you can live on a boat to a greater extent. I’m playing our new world as a sorta boat nomad, mostly settling for short periods in the ruined buildings I find along the coast, most spaced a day’s sail from each other. No portals or anything so I gotta plan my trips and manage my cargo.

It’s incredibly relaxing. Not a lotta real threats to kill me, just sailing down the coast and fixing up little huts to sleep for the night. Might settle somewhere eventually but I can’t resist the itch to explore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

My biggest wish for boats is a cabin and storage so you can live on a boat to a greater extent. I’m playing our new world as a sorta boat nomad, mostly settling for short periods in the ruined buildings I find along the coast, most spaced a day’s sail from each other. No portals or anything so I gotta plan my trips and manage my cargo.

It’s incredibly relaxing. Not a lotta real threats to kill me, just sailing down the coast and fixing up little huts to sleep for the night. Might settle somewhere eventually but I can’t resist the itch to explore.

Something like that is next on my list of “perhaps unrealistic wants.” I would compare it to the Cyclops in Subnautica but less self-sustaining.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I imagine what you mean by a cabin is a bed spot for respawning, as well as the rp reasons.

With how much mobs want to destroy boats I don't know if I see that working. I regularly have them ignore me just to try to kill my boat if they're within eye-shot of it.

imo mobs should never attack your boats unless you're in it. They obviously have something to tell if you're in/on it other than just being at the rudder because you can unfurl the sails and be traveling while walking on the deck, but as soon as you go overboard the boat instantly stops.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Add “re/detachable rafts” to the my dream big boat so I can park it further away from shore.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Alternatively, single-use boats. As soon as you beach it and exit, it bursts into flame to prevent cowardly retreat.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Floppychop posted:

With how much mobs want to destroy boats I don't know if I see that working. I regularly have them ignore me just to try to kill my boat if they're within eye-shot of it.

Thats because they love you so much, they just cant bear to see you leave them.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I love this game, I love the H&H update, I've spent so much time just noodling around with everything. My biggest gripe of the game is that if you have a dedicated server and some people are progressing through the bosses faster everyone gets hit with the higher level invasions and gets wrecked. Has anyone found a good work around for this?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Once you have the materials to burn, making like 8 karves on the fringes of a shore base is probably a good way to turn every siege into a shooting gallery as all the mobs ignore you and you stand on a tower whistling and shooting them down while they attack the boats.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

gently caress Man posted:

I love this game, I love the H&H update, I've spent so much time just noodling around with everything. My biggest gripe of the game is that if you have a dedicated server and some people are progressing through the bosses faster everyone gets hit with the higher level invasions and gets wrecked. Has anyone found a good work around for this?

You don't know how happy I am for the Hearth to snap to other blocks and finally have normal dimensions (2×1.5). :allears:

I don't know that there's a solution to your problem, but it makes you wish that invasions only spawned in appropriate areas rather than everywhere (especially the Troll and Fuling ones)

Maybe the invasions could be specific to whatever equipment was nearby, like say having the Trolls only spawn next to the anything (e: I mean smithing whoops haha) bench, etc

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

You don't know how happy I am for the Hearth to snap to other blocks and finally have normal dimensions (2×1.5). :allears:

:hf: I'm right there with you, makes building things out of stone way less annoying.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Vanadium posted:

I will absolutely not dive for treasure with 150 iron in my boat, in fact I will beach the longship the moment the weather becomes slightly inclement if I have to account for ghost ships or whales.

otoh I played that Raft survival game for a bit a while back and that was kind of cute, I don't expect Valheim to let me construct a floating viking fortress but a bunch of ship upgrades to passively soak up resources while traveling and maybe the odd floating, harpoonable treasure chest might make it more enticing.

There are ghost ships?

I enjoyed Raft as well. Then I got to the part of the game where you have to fight enemies that actually fight back besides a predictable shark. Kind of rage quit after dying because it just seemed prohibitive to rebuild everything I lost.

However, I do like the idea of scooping up goodies out of the ocean. Wish there was more reasons to travel around by ship.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'd like a modular longship. Pick and choose cargo slots, portal, crafting bench, fishing nets, more sale. But if wishes were fishes, as they say.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I don't know that there's a solution to your problem, but it makes you wish that invasions only spawned in appropriate areas rather than everywhere (especially the Troll and Fuling ones)

Maybe the invasions could be specific to whatever equipment was nearby, like say having the Trolls only spawn next to the anything bench, etc

That's a good solution. I think it makes sense for them to happen in solo games, but when there are multiple people per server say two hardcore gamers and two chill builders it really mucks things up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This Epic Loot mod kicks a lot of rear end, but it did end up making me OP when I would kill like 4+ star Oozers in swamps and they'd drop legendary silver items without any risk whatsoever because poison-resist meads just shut them down completely. Thankfully there's config options to prevent this.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There’s a bounty mod (nexus only I think, not thunderstore) that I tried yesterday and it’s pretty cool. Basically turns the trader into a gambler + bounty board. I burned my 3k coins on gambling and now I’m running around the world doing procgen bounties.

I’m still barely into Iron. I really should progress a bit.

edit: speaking of which, I will most likely do Bonemass at some point today. I almost always use a Bow so I understand I'm basically hosed. Will the Staghammer do the trick or should I go about getting a fancy Iron Mace? Obviously also going to use the best food and mead and so on, just not sure about the combat aspect.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Vasudus posted:

There’s a bounty mod (nexus only I think, not thunderstore) that I tried yesterday and it’s pretty cool. Basically turns the trader into a gambler + bounty board. I burned my 3k coins on gambling and now I’m running around the world doing procgen bounties.

I’m still barely into Iron. I really should progress a bit.

edit: speaking of which, I will most likely do Bonemass at some point today. I almost always use a Bow so I understand I'm basically hosed. Will the Staghammer do the trick or should I go about getting a fancy Iron Mace? Obviously also going to use the best food and mead and so on, just not sure about the combat aspect.

Bonemass is basically a giant blob, use this knowledge to your advantage.