Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/amp/

Lab grown meat is a investment scam says scientist that got their internal industry reports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Cloks posted:

i don't think there is a way for Americans to eat sustainably at this point

Each other.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cloks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45B5_VHQy64

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cloks posted:

the number of people globally who can eat sustainably right now is basically a rounding error

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cloks posted:

Basic Poster posted:

What if we just eat the babies

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's intrinsically stupid because if your kid also does this you're setting up khan to have 0% of your crap bag genes anyway. A better gene will eventually be found for every gene you passed on.

Which doesn't matter, but these people are apparently trying to cement inequality in a future world which doesn't even contain residual traces of themselves, except their ideology.

Simultaneously supremacist and also destroying the race.

don't worry, I'm sure their skin will be white

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

IAMKOREA posted:

yeah but we have spent thousands of years genetically selecting for plants that create huge amounts of protein that we can digest. they're called beans. and if your climate change induced famine is so bad that you can't grow beans then you also aren't going to be growing crops for chicken feed (which is what they feed farmed crickets) either.

yeah but the conditions will change and it’s more likely the kinds of plants that will grow will be not-immediately nutritious natives

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Cloks posted:

we should eat our own poo poo

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Sep 24, 2021

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
The first polygenetic screening baby (or a baby who has a father of the same name and lives in the same area) is named after, not one, not two, but three Game of Thrones characters.

https://georgerrmartin.com/grrm_fromfans/nymeria-daenerys-cersei-smigrodzki/

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

The first polygenetic screening baby (or a baby who has a father of the same name and lives in the same area) is named after, not one, not two, but three Game of Thrones characters.

https://georgerrmartin.com/grrm_fromfans/nymeria-daenerys-cersei-smigrodzki/

always cringed when i went to the the local zoo and saw the komodo dragons with GOT names derived from internet polls but yikes

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
How much food do you really need to eat? How much water do you really need to drink? How warm do you really need to be? How much air do you really need to breath? How much smoke is bad for you, really? Do you really need shoes with soles? Do you really need sweaters with sleeves? Do you really need to see your dying relatives? Do you really need to choose where you live? Do you really need to travel? Do you really need an education? Do you really need a pet? Do you really need to hike? Do you really need to be compensated for socially useful labor? Do you really need sunlight? Do you really need more living space than a bedroom?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

0:15 is metal af

https://twitter.com/diariodeavisos/status/1441420056030814210

here is the volcano now

https://twitter.com/diariodeavisos/status/1441529148179103746

here is where we got to go

https://twitter.com/monofer08/status/1439719624489193478

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

is there a word for something that would be incredibly funny yet soul-crushingly horrific

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

is there a word for something that would be incredibly funny yet soul-crushingly horrific

lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

dear god please let this happen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there was a history channel show 20 years ago about that mountainside sloughing off and destroying america so im already at peace with it.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Flyover state supremacy lmao

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Koirhor posted:

dear god please let this happen

Like the animation gets all metal and purple and resides leaving the freedom dick unscathed that fuggin sucks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
on the plus side (lol) la palma is spewing 10000 tonnes of so2 into the air per day so we might drop a tenth of a degree or two for a couple of years. (lmao)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The tsunami would hit a ton of other places beyond USA, that kinda sucks

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

EVERYTHING SUCKS SO MUCH LMAO

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

is wiping out florida worth it? not so clear to me

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actually its fine and good

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Sadly that tsunami thing is fake news :'(.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 3000 foot tall version people are sharing online is fake but there could well be a tsunami of less interesting size

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Unfortunately for disaster fetishists, there aren't many tsunami generators in/around the Atlantic. Aside from the unlikely sloughing-off of the "loose" face of Cumbre Vieja, the only other spots where subduction can take place are in the Caribbean, and they're not as active or as dangerous as those in the Pacific or Indian Oceans.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unfortunately for disaster fetishists, there aren't many tsunami generators in/around the Atlantic. Aside from the unlikely sloughing-off of the "loose" face of Cumbre Vieja, the only other spots where subduction can take place are in the Caribbean, and they're not as active or as dangerous as those in the Pacific or Indian Oceans.

how much TNT would that require……IN MINECRAFT

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

yeah we have to settle for the west coast being destroyed by a 500ft wave when south shore big island falls into the ocean

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How bout you disaster my tsunami hole

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I am sorry, I rescind my previous comment in favor of saying:

Slough my cumbre, you active Atlantic

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
No it's "loose my fetishists, you subduction space!¡!!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol this video is more than a year old? someone linked it here i'm not finding the post to quote it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

the first part of this is amazing, the part mainly about how solar is fake. the end is all about how "biomass" is a huge scam. billions of subsidies stolen to massively incentivize doing tree agriculture to burn the trees. the scene with the cow and the horse i could have gone without seeing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
someone should buy jeff gibbs an account. he deserves it

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

kater posted:

lmao you can’t search for nature abhors a dome on YouTube?

it shows up as result one for me! thankfully

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

the 3000 foot tall version people are sharing online is fake but there could well be a tsunami of less interesting size

i knew some people extremely worried about that in 2011 or 2012 whenever there was some increased seismic activity but my understanding from all of their ranting was that it had to be some specific and complicated sounding kind of volcanic eruption that was so explosive and deep that it caused the island to break apart enough to slide entire mountains into the water when it erupted. Everyone was just watching seismographs and talking about krakatoa or something splitting the island in half and causing the tsunami.

Neither I nor they are volcanoologists though but I thought a regular volcano eruption wasn't a problem. It seems like a lot of people are worried about a landslide now but I don't know how much of that is actual risk compared to people dredging up the fantasy scenarios of a Canary Yellowstone causing a tsunami that crosses from Africa to the United states without actually looking into it and going "Canary Islands = Tsunami."

however if Florida is wiped off the map by this dribbling volcano then I will be extremely pissed off if alligators ride a tsunami inland.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Dying crops, spiking energy bills, showers once a week. In South America, the climate future has arrived.

The Panaras River.

The Urus del Lago Poopó Indigenous community sits along the salt-crusted former shoreline of Lake Poopó in Punaca, Bolivia. Bolivia's second-largest lake dried up six years ago. 

Rime has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Sep 25, 2021

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/halftroll/status/1441734323082698758?s=21

quote:

Florida’s version of the American dream, which holds that even people of relatively modest means can aspire to live near the water, depends on a few crucial components: sugar white beaches, soft ocean breezes and federal flood insurance that is heavily subsidized.

But starting Oct. 1, communities in Florida and elsewhere around the country will see those subsidies begin to disappear in a nationwide experiment in trying to adapt to climate change: Forcing Americans to pay something closer to the real cost of their flood risk, which is rising as the planet warms.

While the program also covers homes around the country, the pain will be most acutely felt in coastal communities. For the first time, the new rates will also take into account the size of a home, so that large houses by the ocean could see an especially big jump in rates.

Federal officials say the goal is fairness — and also getting homeowners to understand the extent of the risk they face, and perhaps move to safer ground, reducing the human and financial toll of disasters.

The government’s new approach threatens home values, perhaps nowhere as intensely as Florida, a state particularly exposed to rising seas and worsening hurricanes. In some parts of the state, the cost of flood insurance will eventually increase tenfold, according to data obtained by The New York Times.

Because federal law prohibits FEMA from raising any homeowner’s flood insurance rates by more than 18 percent a year, it could take 20 years before some current homeowners are charged their full rates under the new system.

For example, Jennifer Zales, a real estate agent who lives in Tampa, pays $480 a year for flood insurance. Under the new system, her rates will eventually reach $7,147, according to Jake Holehouse, her insurance agent.

And that is prompting lawmakers from both parties to line up to block the new rates, which will be phased in over several years.
“We are extremely concerned about the administration’s decision to proceed,” Senator Bob Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, and eight other senators from both parties, including the majority leader, Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York, wrote in a letter on Wednesday to Deanne Criswell, the administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

bowser has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Rime posted:

Dying crops, spiking energy bills, showers once a week. In South America, the climate future has arrived.

The Panaras River.

The Urus del Lago Poopó Indigenous community sits along the salt-crusted former shoreline of Lake Poopó in Punaca, Bolivia. Bolivia's second-largest lake dried up six years ago. 

still a big fat lake on the google maps so 4 pinoccios to you sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006