Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean yeah, for Order 66 was a major hit but didn't get them all. The Purge itself lasted years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Order 66 was significant enough to topple the entire order, and Jedi remnants being hunted by Vader with his Inquisitors is cool for storytelling.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How many thousands of Jedi were there when Order 66 came down? Not every single one was working with the clones and I doubt all the rest were in the temple. It makes perfect sense to me that a bunch of Jedi probably slipped the net and either died or were underground by the time of the original trilogy.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Resistance any good?

If you drink a couple beers while watching it and just accept it's a kids' show. I watched it mostly for the environments, anyway.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Resistance has a really sweet look, I loved the shaded CGI. It just never reaches the highs of any of the other CG shows. Its not bad though, it can be fun. One of my favorite episodes has Poe Dameron contending with a derelict ship full of kowakian monkey lizards aka salacious crumbs which was really funny.

The show had a cool location and some interesting stuff going on (showing why someone might join the first order) but otherwise is forgettable. I would never say its terrible, but its definitely on the kid side of the animated series and never became more like all the others. Rebels started out weak and grew into maybe the strongest of the 3D shows. Resistance never gets close.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Veotax posted:

How many thousands of Jedi were there when Order 66 came down? Not every single one was working with the clones and I doubt all the rest were in the temple. It makes perfect sense to me that a bunch of Jedi probably slipped the net and either died or were underground by the time of the original trilogy.

Around ten thousand.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Watching the extras and lol the directors are not shy about how they left their shorts with a big "to be continued...?" ending on purpose. Lot of them want to continue the stories :allears:

I hope it happens, these shorts would make rad series or OVAs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The BTS stuff is great

The log ride in The Duel was meant to evoke Anakin and Obi-Wan's lava river duel, and the bit with the waterfall was an homage to Qui-Gon and Maul in the Reactor hallway

I'm glad they were able to have fun with it

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Took the advice of someone in this thread and started letting the episodes breathe for a day or so before watching the next.

Ninth Jedi is pretty great. Definitely the best twist so far. I still don't know why some folks are so desperate to fit these stories into the greater Star Wars canon when I thought it was pretty obvious they were just going to be balls-out crazy anime one-offs. Then I saw there's going to be a comic based on The Duel, so...

But still, Ninth Jedi has a good potential for expansion if they decide to go that route (no goofy samurai sword sabers, no ties to existing canon), so who knows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I personally could care less if these anthology short films are canon or not. I just want to explore more of what I experienced in the stories that I really liked through an expansion anime miniseries, manga, or whatever.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Yea, the old EU and new Disney story group are far too obsessed with canon. When disney announced that ALL properties, books/comics/etc would be "canon" I groaned because cmon, thats a huge loving chore to regulate and they've already basically renegged on tons of stuff that was comic or books only. Just give us good star wars stories and let the movies work together.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They've already kind of split into "screen canon" and "everything else". The chuds on youtube swear that The Mandalorian is going to retcon the sequel trilogy out of existence too, but they're about as reliable as always so... sure, any day now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

They've already kind of split into "screen canon" and "everything else". The chuds on youtube swear that The Mandalorian is going to retcon the sequel trilogy out of existence too, but they're about as reliable as always so... sure, any day now.

yea theyre in for a surprise as im pretty sure the mandalorian is laying the groundwork for snoke cloning... but I definitely think Disney is gonna avoid the ST era, but they arent gonna replace it I don't think.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, and the comics have all been laying down "how the empire got into cloning" but keep in mind it's also a good way to bring back characters you love with an extra vowel in their name

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And thus the invention of the stranger

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Waiting for inevitable they find Luke alive situation

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cage Kicker posted:

I would love how stupid that would be.

"So the Luke at Ach To was a clone?!"

"Yes.'

"But Yoda's ghost talked to him!"

"That was the ghost of a clone of Yoda who knew the clone Luke."

""But this Luke clone ghost appears with the real Leia ghost after Rey buries their lightsabers!"

"Yep, it's weird huh!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cage Kicker posted:

Not Luke, Bigger Luke. The truth can finally be revealed.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Cheesus posted:

"Yes.'

""But this Luke clone ghost appears with the real Leia ghost after Rey buries their lightsabers!"

"Yep, it's weird huh!"

Luke was Ben Reilly all along!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Luuke

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cheesus posted:

"Yes.'

"Yep, it's weird huh!"

leia was a clone too obviously

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Biiger Luke

Bigeer Luke

Big Ear Luuke

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you say Biggie Luke three times in a mirror does his force ghost show up?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SolarFire2 posted:

Luke was Ben Reilly all along!
Now I legitimately want to see a trolling suggestion in the Obi Wan series that Luke was cloned.

The heads that would explode at:

"That boy was our last hope."

"No, there is another..."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ninth Jedi was real good but Ethan was utter crap and I don't think even listening to him in Japanese would change how pointless his character is. The only thing he added was part of the fakeout and after that nothing.

Give me more of Kara and the Margrave, but gently caress Ethan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ethan was fine for what he was which was a pure hearted idiot being taken for a ride. The character with an actual arc was Kara

Not to mention her being the literal namesake of the Short as the "9th Jedi"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dexo posted:

Ethan was fine for what he was which was a pure hearted idiot being taken for a ride. The character with an actual arc was Kara

Not to mention her being the literal namesake of the Short as the "9th Jedi"

Oh I know she's the protagonist I just really don't like Ethan and I think any further exploration of this setting would be better without him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh I know she's the protagonist I just really don't like Ethan and I think any further exploration of this setting would be better without him.

You need that bumbling but earnest character to compliment the main hero who is badass and dope and does cool poo poo as a foil. Because then it'll be tragic when that bumbling character dies saving everyone. :haw:

The makeup for that group at the end is like the big bruiser/brute (purple lightsaber alien), the old sage (Margrave), the hero (Kara), and like the bard or whatever lol (Ethan), and then the plucky droid sidekick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teagone posted:

You need that bumbling but earnest character to compliment the main hero who is badass and dope and does cool poo poo as a foil. Because then it'll be tragic when that bumbling character dies saving everyone. :haw:

Yeah but you could at least make that character somewhat competent. To use another Production IG show Ethan is the equivalent to Togusa except Togusa is awesome and capable while also being the earnest go getter.

Of the shorts so far this one has the most potential to go further so far. The Duel and The Village Bride are more of your usual "swordsman comes to town and fixes the locals problems" each week while The Ninth Jedi has an opportunity to go off in a wholly different direction. The visual changes of the lightsabers based on emotions and alignment would be neat to explore further, especially since it seems that the Jedi in this short weren't able to sense ill intent through the Force to give away darksiders.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 26, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just give me the kara, lop, astroboy show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not big on the EU but does Lop’s species have a name out of curiosity or is this the first time something like her has shown up in any Star Wars media?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Larryb posted:

I’m not big on the EU but does Lop’s species have a name out of curiosity or is this the first time something like her has shown up in any Star Wars media?

She's a Lepi, the same species as Jaxxon from the old Marvel Star Wars comics.

https://twitter.com/JoinTheSchwarz/status/1441555799403220993

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Was the furry guy in Ninth Jedi also a bunny-person?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Was the furry guy in Ninth Jedi also a bunny-person?

For some reason he reminded more of a bird than a bunny.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

teagone posted:

For some reason he reminded more of a bird than a bunny.

It was probably the big red eyebrows that gave you that feel :lol:. I think the guy had like big floppy ears but hidden under his robe. I'm trying to find his character sheet but no luck. I guess is just random furry alien :shrug:

By the way, I love how they made all Sith look like archetypes of good people. There was even a literal white Jesus look alike in there. That was a smart move.

Edit:

This is the best I could find, it looks more like tentacles than ears. :v: Oh my god, It looks like that bird Pokemon lmao I love it!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 26, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What was with that one dude that was like "feels more like the darkside here"

Just having a laugh?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What kind of alien was the big bruiser dude with red eyebrows who eventually stopped being evil for Reasons? (bottom right in the above image)

Probably a personal thing, but I really hated the lightsabers-as-mood-rings concept. I always have-- It just reeks of the annoying young-adult-novel/Divergent/Harry Potter thing where your character fits neatly into a category so you don't have to bother developing since you've already been color-coded into an archetype. I kind of liked it better when, like in the older pre-NJO novels, they just kind of built sabers and whatever crazy color the blade was when they turned it on was what they got.

I dunno-- it just kind of ruins the mystery of the Jedi when you can just look at a dude's lightsaber color and immediately know his stat sheet. But like Nanigans said a few pages ago, that's all no longer canon where you get a saber color based on your lifelong job assignment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean it's not canon so I wouldn't worry about it too much

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The United States posted:

The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, and the comics have all been laying down "how the empire got into cloning" but keep in mind it's also a good way to bring back characters you love with an extra vowel in their name

What is that first picture from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t think people realize “the twins” is a parody of the sequel trilogy.

The scene of the guy on the xwing using the lightsaber in hyperspace is even based on an unused concept for episode VII (which you can see in the art of force awakens book)