Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Every single trans person, once they are aware they are trans, has tons of moments of looking back on their life and going 'lol that was so stupid that I didn't realize it yet.' Yes, other people experience alienation. The particulars of the alienation and how the most constant 'I am the bad guy' villainous thing that Smith does is deadname Neo to deny his self indentification is trans as gently caress.

Person who is not (knowingly?) trans: I don't see any gender dysphoria here! It is the trans people who are wrong.

drat I guess Alex Haileys Roots was also about trans people all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shiroc posted:

Sex for egg trans people can also be really uncomfortable and weird. I think that's less of a discussion of theme of the movie (since its so limited) but more of stating why the Wachowski's might not have really thought about it and when it does come up its all kind of off.

80s-90s action movies generally always found a place to put a sex scene and titty other than something like Commando, which is instead wildly homoerotic.

They made bound before the matrix, I don’t think the sisters W were uncomfortable or awkward writing, filming, or thinking about sex pre transition

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Noob Saibot posted:

drat I guess Alex Haileys Roots was also about trans people all along!

dipshit snarky 'joke' aside yes they are the same basic concept of self actualization and not being bound by how others think you should exist

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Trans stuff
:glomp:

Y'know, much like these flicks, we're not that complicated and people still don't seem to understand.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DeimosRising posted:

They made bound before the matrix, I don’t think the sisters W were uncomfortable or awkward writing, filming, or thinking about sex pre transition

I haven't seen Bound so I can't fully comment on it and might be entirely wrong but also Wikipedia has this:

Wikipedia posted:

The sex scenes were choreographed by feminist writer and sex educator Susie Bright. The Wachowskis were fans of Bright and sent her a copy of the script with a letter asking her to be an extra in the film. Bright loved the script, particularly as it was about women unapologetically having and enjoying sex. Disappointed by the lack of description in the sex scenes, she offered to be a sex consultant for the film, and they accepted.

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, much like these flicks, we're not that complicated and people still don't seem to understand.

I think that while disagreement with someone like SMG is more about how we're approaching film criticism for this movie and trans vs. cis experience, a lot of people's problems stems from really, really not wanting their adolescent power fantasy to be contextualized as super duper queer.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is a bunch of gen z’ers who were born after the matrix trilogy that want to tell gen x and millianials what the matrix is “really all about”.

I like the one dude above me who got his whole argument shut down because he never heard of bound and is now using google and Wikipedia to try to justify his stance. Lol nice try

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I was the exact age that I took an actual real life college class on the matrix when I was in college

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Noob Saibot posted:

This thread is a bunch of gen z’ers who were born after the matrix trilogy that want to tell gen x and millianials what the matrix is “really all about”.

I like the one dude above me who got his whole argument shut down because he never heard of bound and is now using google and Wikipedia to try to justify his stance. Lol nice try

This is a fuckin weird post

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol this whole time I thought by trans you all meant the transition between human and program, not gender identity

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is a fuckin weird post

Real loving weird given that I'm a woman, in my thirties, who watched the Matrix when it first came out VHS from Blockbuster.

Really it seems like it proves this comment real hard if nothing else

Shiroc posted:

a lot of people's problems stems from really, really not wanting their adolescent power fantasy to be contextualized as super duper queer.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 25, 2021

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just watched the Matrix sequels and the plot completely lost me. I didn’t understand what was going on or what they were trying to say lol

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Real loving weird given that I'm a woman, in my thirties (which I posted in here), who watched the Matrix when it first came out VHS from Blockbuster. I had a side comment that I recognized might be wrong when people brought up Bound. I found the Wikipedia bit interesting given that the sex being choreographed by someone else entirely could explain why its apparently less awkward than what's in the Matrix?

It explains why the sex scene is considered a cut above other similar scenes and is so well known, but I don't think the consultant can be given all the credit, considering the movie oozes sex outside of that scene. Concerning the lack of sex in The Matrix (at least the first movie), I think the point already raised about the film's pacing makes more sense than trying to psychoanalyze the filmmakers. They just judged it as something not necessary to tell the film's story.

Also, The Matrix, a sci-fi action spectacle, exists within a very different generic framework than Bound, an erotic crime thriller, and they are built with different audiences in mind. The Matrix keeps sex and queer identity, much more obviously visible in Bound, in its subtext, making it more palatable for mainstream audiences and, importantly, easier to get a Hollywood studio to bankroll it. This is probably the bigger factor in why The Matrix is so much less sexy than Bound or Sense8 and its psychic orgies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sponges posted:

I just watched the Matrix sequels and the plot completely lost me. I didn’t understand what was going on or what they were trying to say lol

There is a cyclical plan by the machines to keep humanity in a state of rebellion against the dystopia that is the Matrix, which is apparently the only way humans can even accept being in the Matrix, because otherwise they reject it and die. The implication is that humans need something to struggle against or they basically cannot live. This rebellion can't be won in the traditional sense, because even the One is a mechanism designed/anticipated by the machines as part of the cycle. Eventually every cycle ends with an apocalypse on Zion, and the One choosing to start the Matrix over rather than end everything.

Instead of continuing this cycle, Neo makes a choice out of love to apparently end everything and doom the Matrix/humanity, and out of a seemingly forlorn hope that there is a third option. The architect is puzzled by this as it is all human feelings, and admits that humans have an unpredictability to them that it has been unable to adequately solve for.

Apparently the Matrix is now doomed by Neo's love, but Smith becoming a virus in the system has also not been anticipated, and is screwing up the planned apocalypse/the future of the Matrix.

While the defenders of Zion fight a battle that can only be a delaying action to preserve the city, Neo negotiates a fragile peace between Zion and the machines by promising to defeat Smith. Neo does this by unifying with him, as Smith is his equal. The machines keep their agreement and relent from destroying Zion.

Man and machine now look forward to some new future.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

I haven't seen Bound so I can't fully comment on it and might be entirely wrong but also Wikipedia has this:

I think that while disagreement with someone like SMG is more about how we're approaching film criticism for this movie and trans vs. cis experience, a lot of people's problems stems from really, really not wanting their adolescent power fantasy to be contextualized as super duper queer.

That’s definitely the case with a lot of folks, but my issue is that the film doesn’t go radical enough.

Like I said earlier, this is specifically a libertarian adolescent power fantasy where Trinity kills cops (whatev) but also famously hacked the IRS. Why specifically the IRS?

Knowing the siblings’ biographical details does provide additional context for the deadnaming, but the famous “my name is Neo!” is specifically a callback to the interrogation scene, where:

“In one life, you’re Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company, you have a social security number, you pay your taxes, and you help your landlady carry out her garbage.”

When it comes to the life Neo rejects, all emphasis is on being a taxpayer. He’s like “gently caress taxes! gently caress social security! I want to be a computer criminal.” And Trinity evidently shares that view.

So that’s two separate references to taxes that contextualize Morpheus’ ultimate claim that government robots are stealing his vital energies (as opposed to the aforementioned truth that the machines are expending energy to keep these billions from starving to death in the postapocalypse). “Deadnaming is bad” is a concept in the text, but it’s fine print at the bottom of a lengthy manifesto.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s definitely the case with a lot of folks, but my issue is that the film doesn’t go radical enough.

Like I said earlier, this is specifically a libertarian adolescent power fantasy where Trinity kills cops (whatev) but also famously hacked the IRS. Why specifically the IRS?

Knowing the siblings’ biographical details does provide additional context for the deadnaming, but the famous “my name is Neo!” is specifically a callback to the interrogation scene, where:

“In one life, you’re Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company, you have a social security number, you pay your taxes, and you help your landlady carry out her garbage.”

When it comes to the life Neo rejects, all emphasis is on being a taxpayer. He’s like “gently caress taxes! gently caress social security! I want to be a computer criminal.” And Trinity evidently shares that view.

So that’s two separate references to taxes that contextualize Morpheus’ ultimate claim that government robots are stealing his vital energies (as opposed to the aforementioned truth that the machines are expending energy to keep these billions from starving to death in the postapocalypse). “Deadnaming is bad” is a concept in the text, but it’s fine print at the bottom of a lengthy manifesto.

I think that's legitimate but still trades off the different things we're prioritizing when we're analyzing the text. I've met so many people who got into various forms of radical politics because of their general disaffection with the system and then also realizing they're trans along the way. Its egg theory with the trappings of dumb 90s end of history politics. A hypothetical 201x version of the Matrix would probably start from DSA kind of stuff. The two sequels broke away from the 'gently caress the man!' trappings by showing its limits in Reloaded and Neo is trying to create some kind of collective cooperation in Revolutions, while also dramatically de-prioritizing Morpheus. Ideally Matrix 4 addresses that position also wasn't sustainable and that queerness isn't on its own a revolutionary act, since it can be so easily captured by neoliberalism.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 25, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

lol this whole time I thought by trans you all meant the transition between human and program, not gender identity

Lol it works though, doesn't it? I think you figured out the metaphor

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There is a cyclical plan by the machines to keep humanity in a state of rebellion against the dystopia that is the Matrix, which is apparently the only way humans can even accept being in the Matrix, because otherwise they reject it and die. The implication is that humans need something to struggle against or they basically cannot live. This rebellion can't be won in the traditional sense, because even the One is a mechanism designed/anticipated by the machines as part of the cycle. Eventually every cycle ends with an apocalypse on Zion, and the One choosing to start the Matrix over rather than end everything.

Instead of continuing this cycle, Neo makes a choice out of love to apparently end everything and doom the Matrix/humanity, and out of a seemingly forlorn hope that there is a third option. The architect is puzzled by this as it is all human feelings, and admits that humans have an unpredictability to them that it has been unable to adequately solve for.

Apparently the Matrix is now doomed by Neo's love, but Smith becoming a virus in the system has also not been anticipated, and is screwing up the planned apocalypse/the future of the Matrix.

While the defenders of Zion fight a battle that can only be a delaying action to preserve the city, Neo negotiates a fragile peace between Zion and the machines by promising to defeat Smith. Neo does this by unifying with him, as Smith is his equal. The machines keep their agreement and relent from destroying Zion.

Man and machine now look forward to some new future.

i like this literal take, too!

Edit: holy poo poo this thread is getting sick! 5 golden manbabbies 4 lyfe

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 25, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I watched matrix + reloaded recently and man the dip in story quality is so much more severe than I remembered

Also I can’t tell if the rave scene is better or worse than I remembered

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I feel like the movie is (intentionally, probably) vague enough that both anti-authority reading and a trans-allegory reading can be seen as valid. It's a neat trilogy like that.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

It's not an either/or thing; the story of Matrix 1 is that literally the entire population of Earth is going through what Neo is going through. "Billions of people just living out their lives."

No, because most of the vast majority of earth are happy to continue plodding along, living their lives. It's just the main characters (all the zionites, really) who are completely disaffected and they don't know why, until they "crack out of their egg" and discover who they've truly been the whole time.

Noob Saibot posted:

Try reading the thread? This is a real lovely post. And like.. if Shiroc was Gen Z, she would have been 9 when she registered for SA? Impressive.
But please tell us more how Morpheus is like Donald Trump or Andrew Yang or whatever, real enlightening stuff.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 25, 2021

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Epic cis posts itt

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

stratdax posted:

No, because most of the vast majority of earth are happy to continue plodding along, living their lives. It's just the main characters (all the zionites, really) who are completely disaffected and they don't know why, until they "crack out of their egg" and discover who they've truly been the whole time.

If that's the only issue, that a relative handful of people are subject to uncomfortable errors in the (sex/gender) software, then the goal is reintegration into the matrix with better virtual bodies. And that means Cypher is right. Leaving aside the rude murder stuff, Cypher's goal is to receive treatments (from the government!) that will let him plod along and live his life, work a job, pay taxes, etc. - without the discomfort.

So why is that bad? Well, as Morpheus says, being a part of society and receiving taxpayer-funded healthcare will leave Cypher "hopelessly dependent on the system." And he's clearly not talking about the capitalist system.

"When you’re inside, you look around. What do you see? Business people, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy."

Morpheus specifically says that he's trying to save everyone - not just the disaffected metaphorically-trans characters. But he's also saying, like "gently caress carpenters! gently caress teachers!" He doesn't see the working classes as allies.

So this is where we need to expand out from the basic 'journey of self-actualization' thing. After all, even Smith is trying to 'self-actualize' because his true form is not a man but some kind of agendered robot. (The sequels reveal that, when freed, Smith's literally a fluid! Then everybody teams up to kill them.) We've gotta get more progressive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yadda yadda death of the author and multiple valid interpretations and whatnot, sure--but as a pretty recently out trans person who just recently rewatched the trilogy.....these movies are trans as gently caress. Especially the first two. Neo's who journey in the original is an awakening story. For Neo, it's literally waking up out of the pod. But he spends all that time getting told what his name really is and what is life is supposed to be, and he has to work up to saying "gently caress that, my name is Neo"

I'm Jaina. I wasn't born with that name, I wasn't given it by my parents. I chose it for myself because it fits better than the one I had. Last night, I was dressed up all cute and it was finally cool enough to layer a cardigan with a dress, and the guy at quick trip who rang me up called me sir. Sigh. Then I show up to game night and my DM's 6 year old turns to his friend and says "he thinks he'a a girl" to "explain" me wearing a dress. That poo poo hurts. Neither one of those people were deliberately trying to hurt me, but it's a sign of how there's an expected way for us to be, to look, to present, to live.

Smith's lines in the interrogation room to Neo "you pay your taxes, you help your landlady take out her garbage" etc, is the system we're supposed to live in and be comfortable in. When Neo first goes back into the matrix after waking up, we get one of the most humanizing moments out of him..."I used to eat there. They have the good noodles". Other than Cypher in his betrayal meeting, you never see any lead characters just...living in the matrix. Eating food, partaking in recreation. Even the Merovingian's restaurant in Reloaded is all artifice. Neo has woken up, and he can't just go sit down and enjoy the good noodles. I can't go to favorite restaurants without having a plan in place if staff or another patron gets lovely toward me. I have to pee at home because I'm legitimately worried about using the "wrong" public restroom and getting assaulted. "The good noodles" is now a simple pleasure that takes care and planning and forethought to enjoy.

"I can't go back, can I?" asks Neo. I've asked that question. I've given serious thoughts to flushing my pills, donating my clothes, and going back to being Jason again. But I can't. "Even if you could, would you want to?" Responds Morpheus, responds the other part of my brain. Can I throw away how happy I am being Jaina? Would I want to go back to neglecting my body and my happiness? Absolutely not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s cool about the matrix is no matter who you are the film is so good it makes your day better.

I love it.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I watched matrix + reloaded recently and man the dip in story quality is so much more severe than I remembered

Also I can’t tell if the rave scene is better or worse than I remembered

I think the matrix trilogy over all tells an interesting story but reloaded is still one of the dumbest movies I've seen in my life.

"Oh look it's Smith, back again with multiple clones. Sure I could just fly away with my flight powers but I'm going to stay on the ground and pointlessly fistfight them for 10 minutes THEN fly away. Why would I do this? I don't know I'm bored and just need a virtual workout I guess."

"Look at that guy, he just stopped all our bullets! Let's use our feet, fists, and maybe some weapons that move thousands of times slower and will impact him with far less force than our bullets could! That will get him!"

It was all just too dumb to enjoy as simple spectacle. I get that this is an example of a sequel having to play to audience expectations for action sequences in the "Well the first movie was known for its choreographed fight sequences so we need to have them littered throughout these ones!" sort of way but the first movie goes out of its way to indicate that Neo no longer needed to do any of it because has the power of the One.

One of the things that the new matrix trailer seems to indicate is that at least for neo ( possibly due to the age of the actor ) they're dropping the pointless kung fu fighting and giving him the powers he SHOULD have been using after the he was revealed as 'the one' in the first matrix.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

If that's the only issue, that a relative handful of people are subject to uncomfortable errors in the (sex/gender) software, then the goal is reintegration into the matrix with better virtual bodies. And that means Cypher is right. Leaving aside the rude murder stuff, Cypher's goal is to receive treatments (from the government!) that will let him plod along and live his life, work a job, pay taxes, etc. - without the discomfort.

So why is that bad? Well, as Morpheus says, being a part of society and receiving taxpayer-funded healthcare will leave Cypher "hopelessly dependent on the system." And he's clearly not talking about the capitalist system.

"When you’re inside, you look around. What do you see? Business people, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy."

Morpheus specifically says that he's trying to save everyone - not just the disaffected metaphorically-trans characters. But he's also saying, like "gently caress carpenters! gently caress teachers!" He doesn't see the working classes as allies.

So this is where we need to expand out from the basic 'journey of self-actualization' thing. After all, even Smith is trying to 'self-actualize' because his true form is not a man but some kind of agendered robot. (The sequels reveal that, when freed, Smith's literally a fluid! Then everybody teams up to kill them.) We've gotta get more progressive.

I think the heart of our difference is that while I think you are generally an extremely good political thinker in movies, you don't seem to really have any interest with trans theory so you're missing what is blaring queer text in the movie that trans people are picking up and prioritizing Morpheus over everyone else. I don't think your Morpheus led reading is wrong on its standing but you're applying the trans stuff in an extremely cis way. I apologize if you're not cis but that's the impression I've gotten from this and other times when you've dipped into trans discussions.

The history of trans people has been incredibly fraught with officials and gatekeepers trying to push us one way or another. The book from Jules-Gill Peterson, Histories of the Transgender Child is relatively short but extremely good at explaining how cis doctors try to place themselves and their opinion in the way of trans people and how trans people have needed to fight with and subvert the system in order to access the care they want. Morpheus being both the provider of the pills and a well meaning but self righteous blowhard with strong opinions isn't at all in conflict.

The paranoia of not being able to trust 'anyone' fits entirely because of how often, even in the most radical leftist spaces, trans people get abused and treated like poo poo for trying to assert our right to exist at all.

Even without the more explicit calls to gender and queer that would be more obvious to cishets, the movie is still rolling on text and subtext that's pure egg and queer.

jivjov posted:

good post

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Noob Saibot posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shut up bitch

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Noob Saibot posted:

This post is distinctly bad because it doesn't discuss anything and has a very poor perspective, which is that if you're born after a movie comes out you can't "understand" it, or even that there's a true interpretation of a movie in the first place. Just bad thinking all around.

I'm going to discard you being a bad-faith jerk who is accusing people of being ignorant young'uns even though you are literally being told by people in this thread their age, and there's no reason at all to doubt them.

If you don't like what people are posting about, it's never constructive to start getting negative, throwing out blanket accusations, and making GBS threads on them in their own thread. Do what all the cool kids are doing - go to Discord and whine about it. ;)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh good still on trans chat so I can quote this thing from the previous page

Noob Saibot posted:

People are reading way too much into this stuff and there’s a ton of revisionist history going on. Yes there are some elements of the trans experience in The Matrix (Switch, the red pill, living two lives,etc) but at the end of the day it’s a film about questioning authority, systems of control, nonconformity, rebellion, and individualism.
:thunk:

Also lol @ the woke Gen Z kids ruining The Matrix take. I'm a millennial and I can assure everyone that The Matrix is about all of the things I just quoted, and also about being trans, and about psychedelics, and Buddhism, and capitalism, and the elective philosophy courses you took in sophomore year of college and can't remember because you were busy baking your noodle. That's why it's good as hell. Half that poo poo is the same thing anyway.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 26, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

I think the heart of our difference is that while I think you are generally an extremely good political thinker in movies, you don't seem to really have any interest with trans theory so you're missing what is blaring queer text in the movie that trans people are picking up and prioritizing Morpheus over everyone else. I don't think your Morpheus led reading is wrong on its standing but you're applying the trans stuff in an extremely cis way. I apologize if you're not cis but that's the impression I've gotten from this and other times when you've dipped into trans discussions.

The history of trans people has been incredibly fraught with officials and gatekeepers trying to push us one way or another. The book from Jules-Gill Peterson, Histories of the Transgender Child is relatively short but extremely good at explaining how cis doctors try to place themselves and their opinion in the way of trans people and how trans people have needed to fight with and subvert the system in order to access the care they want. Morpheus being both the provider of the pills and a well meaning but self righteous blowhard with strong opinions isn't at all in conflict.

The paranoia of not being able to trust 'anyone' fits entirely because of how often, even in the most radical leftist spaces, trans people get abused and treated like poo poo for trying to assert our right to exist at all.

Even without the more explicit calls to gender and queer that would be more obvious to cishets, the movie is still rolling on text and subtext that's pure egg and queer.

We don’t appear to be disagreeing at all here, except on very particular details. Systems of oppression obviously exist in the Matrix as well as real life. It’s very understandable that characters like Morpheus and Switch are distrustful of the government, being literally black and trans (respectively). We also agree, it seems, that Morpheus’ paranoid libertarianism isn’t great as a reaction; there are obvious ideological limitations, questionable tactics, etc.

So, where do we disagree?

One point of disagreement is that I am placing an emphasis on Morpheus’ leadership that you think is undue. But Matrix 1 is, unavoidably, The Morpheus Show. Neo begins the film with a fascination with Morpheus, is recruited by Morpheus, Morpheus explains his worldview and plans in exhaustive detail, and then the entire last act of the film - with all the memorable actions scenes - is Neo expressing a decision to die for Morpheus. Nearly every character is either a follower of Morpheus or specifically fighting to destroy Morpheus - and the followers don’t voice any distinct worldviews. (The closest thing to disagreement from a “good guy” is when Trinity forces herself to hide her love for Neo out of devotion to the cause, but feels bad about it.) Morpheus is everything.

The other point, the big one, concerns the form of the metaphor. Your assertion is that the matrix is specifically a metaphor for transphobic healthcare systems, while I argue that it’s more generally the symbolic order (from lacanian psychoanalysis). I can kinda see the ‘healthcare’ reading because, yeah, the robots are providing a life-support system for humanity and some would prefer to opt out. But that doesn’t really work when we go into greater detail. Morpheus lays it out pretty clearly:

The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us, even now in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.”

(Note yet another reference to taxation.)

Morpheus then goes on to explain that everyone is a prisoner. It’s very clear that he’s not referring to healthcare, or anything analogous to it. “It is all around us, even now in this very room.”

So the issue is that you’re not wrong: given that the matrix effectively ‘is’ reality, this includes transphobic ideologies. It’s just not limited to that. It also includes racism and so-forth. So I am not intending to be dismissive of the particular struggles faced by any people. The overall point is, quoting Zizek, that:

“The very domain of the multitude of particular struggles, with their continuously shifting displacements and condensations, is sustained by the ‘repression’ of the key role of economic struggle. The leftist politics of the ‘chains of equivalences’ among the plurality of struggles is strictly correlative to the abandonment of capitalism as a global economic system--that is, to the tacit acceptance of capitalist economic relations and liberal-democratic politics as the unquestioned framework of our social life.”

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 26, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Lol it works though, doesn't it? I think you figured out the metaphor

i like this literal take, too!

Edit: holy poo poo this thread is getting sick! 5 golden manbabbies 4 lyfe

Yeah I'm not getting much into the philosophy there. This is more or less literally what happens.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I think your continued assertions of Switch being trans because of entirely cut content is weird, don't think the Matrix is solely about tranphobic healthcare systems and would argue that Morpheus diminishes in importance through the movie relative to Trinity but I think we're about as close as we're going to get given our particular outlooks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'm seeing a bunch of these "Keanu is playing himself or Neo is a movie star, the matrix exists as a movie, the ~going back to the matrix~ guy in the trailer is his film agent" ideas going around lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrhWGLUkZ4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

I think your continued assertions of Switch being trans because of entirely cut content is weird

I maintain that there are traces of that intention in the completed film. Specifically, in the name.

With all of the characters, we can presume roughly the same story as Neo. “Tom Anderson” chose a random hacker alias without really thinking about - because it sounded cool or whatever. But then, only later, Neo interpreted (and re-interpreted) the name until deciding that the truth of the name is “I am and always have been The One”.

So, like, maybe Switch was into skateboarding before becoming a computer criminal and increasingly drawn to ur-hacker Morpheus’ libertarian rhetoric. But, the character eventually decided “my name is Switch and I have always been Switch.” The concept of switching is extremely important to them, and presumably reflected in the androgynous style of their “residual self-image”.

You’re totally right that Switch, if we view the film purely in a vacuum, is really ambiguous. Is Switch gay, trans, and/or just a big Laurie Anderson fan? We don’t and can’t ‘know’ because they’re a very minor character with like three lines.

But, because the character is so minor, my stance when the director says “they’re trans and the name refers to gender reassignment” is, like, “ok, sure. Why not?” It’s not really crucial to the interpretation of the film, because the film is primarily about Morpheus’ curious brand of multicultural libertarianism. Switch fleshes out Morpheus’ crew, but ultimately has less characterization than Mouse.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I maintain that there are traces of that intention in the completed film. Specifically, in the name.

With all of the characters, we can presume roughly the same story as Neo. “Tom Anderson” chose a random hacker alias without really thinking about - because it sounded cool or whatever. But then, only later, Neo interpreted (and re-interpreted) the name until deciding that the truth of the name is “I am and always have been The One”.

So, like, maybe Switch was into skateboarding before becoming a computer criminal and increasingly drawn to ur-hacker Morpheus’ libertarian rhetoric. But, the character eventually decided “my name is Switch and I have always been Switch.” The concept of switching is extremely important to them, and presumably reflected in the androgynous style of their “residual self-image”.

You’re totally right that Switch, if we view the film purely in a vacuum, is really ambiguous. Is Switch gay, trans, and/or just a big Laurie Anderson fan? We don’t and can’t ‘know’ because they’re a very minor character with like three lines.

But, because the character is so minor, my stance when the director says “they’re trans and the name refers to gender reassignment” is, like, “ok, sure. Why not?” It’s not really crucial to the interpretation of the film, because the film is primarily about Morpheus’ curious brand of multicultural libertarianism. Switch fleshes out Morpheus’ crew, but ultimately has less characterization than Mouse.

I think that my frustration with this conversation is that you have me and several other trans people talking about how Neo in particular and some of the preoccupations of the movie generally resonate very strongly with egg and baby trans experience. None of that seems to be landing with you at all and instead you're insisting that the most legible-to-you thing to be the most important trans part of the movie. I've gotten to the end of how much I really want to keep putting myself out and exposing my actual life in defense of a trans reading of the Matrix. When there are already a ton of trans people in this thread, telling you about their lives, we really, really don't need someone else explaining 'actually the trans story is this because it makes the most sense to me.' You can just not include it in your reading or be more willing to listen to the people right in front of you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I haven't rewatched the Matrix recently but I don't think Morpheus including taxes and carpenters in his summation of what's dangerous about the matrix actually positions him as a libertarian conspiracy theorist. It is in fact true IRL that even a teacher or carpenter can become a revolutionary's deadly enemy in the blink of an eye; it's just that instead of morphing into an agent at the first sight of seditious activity, either might pick up a phone and dial 911 despite being workers who the summoned police are tasked with repressing. If the matrix is the hegemonic symbolic order, that means patriarchy is inscribed in it as one of the forces constitutive of modern capitalism, and forcing you to live out your life as whoever you've been arbitrarily assigned to be rather than as whoever you feel most comfortable being is an important part of maintaining that hegemony. Then the sequels gesture at the way the modern status quo has evolved to encourage, capture, and ultimately ground out acts of rebellion.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 26, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Following on to Ferrinus and tying it to the trans metaphor, a lot of the anti trans bills being proposed over the past year include things like obligating teachers, guidance counselors, doctors psychologists and the like to out any children showing anything that could be interpreted as queer or trans. They would be getting conscripted into enforcing the norms, willing or not, like the people turned into Agents.

The biggest flaw with Morpheus' position is the overall vagueness and spaces to for reactionary thinking to get into it. He identifies enough that he gets a crew of women, PoC, queers and others who are actually oppressed under existing real world system. But he also gets Cypher, who seems to read entirely as a cishet white guy. Cypher seems most motivated by getting power and status for himself over others, instead of the self actualization or universal revolution or whatever motivates the others. Instead he gets pissed that he isn't being given that and doesn't even get to gently caress Trinity like he clearly thinks he deserves, instead she's into Neo (who is trans). So Cypher betrays what solidarity the crew had for promises from Smith that the viewer doesn't really have a reason to think he can or cares to deliver on. The Wachowskis somewhat predicting the later misuse of the movie within it.

Liek Ferrinus has above, that's why the sequels end up getting so much more complicated, largely reject the straightforward gently caress the man reading available in the first movie and Morpheus gets largely sidelined since everything has developed past him. He seems to understand this which is why he offers the support he can and defers to others instead of being The Guy like he was for the first half of Matrix 1.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The conceit of anyone becoming an evil G-Man the moment they see an agitator or anything that breaks the illusion of the Matrix is just too, too perfect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The conceit of anyone becoming an evil G-Man the moment they see an agitator or anything that breaks the illusion of the Matrix is just too, too perfect.

I never put that together til now--it's so loving true though. All the Karens calling the cops on birdwatchers or whatever...that's an Agent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hugo Weaving's portrayal of Smith is kinda burned into my memory so much that when I hear about people in an alphabet agency investigating something or doing some backroom thing, I think of Smith disdainfully paging through his binder of another Person of Interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What were the other agents name? I think the second in command was Johnson?