Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston landed their biggest recruit in a long, long time in 4* forward Terrence Arceneaux. #1 player in the Houston area, top 30 or 40 nationally. Also sounds like UH has a good shot at 5* forward Jarace Walker but will be fighting 4 SEC teams and the G League. Then there's a whole lot of interest from the 2023 class; at least four 4*s on the radar.

Just crazy to see this after so many years of being a dead program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Houston was always a sleeping giant and being in the Big 12 now can't hurt.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Minnesota's elite left-the-state recruit crop decided to murder the since-departed Ricky Pitino this week for no apparent reason:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshcobbler_/status/1440368213083103232
https://mobile.twitter.com/kin_wright25/status/1441125760866029581
https://mobile.twitter.com/HurtMatthew/status/1441176927276961792
https://mobile.twitter.com/tyterry05/status/1441127190180122625

Awaiting word from Tre, Tyus, and Chet :lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lmao

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
woo

https://twitter.com/elijahsaunders_/status/1441545627834322945

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

It's for Dejuan Wagner's kid, who is a big recruit.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT beats out Louisville for 4* CG Rodney Rice's commitment. Woo! Third highest rated commit of all time for the program, and also gently caress Louisville.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Nur_Neerg posted:

VT beats out Louisville for 4* CG Rodney Rice's commitment. Woo! Third highest rated commit of all time for the program, and also gently caress Louisville.

:hmmyes:

Speaking of, Louisville got an amendment to their NCAA violations for lack of institutional control on Chris Mack. Supposedly a ruling is coming in March. I'm not sure how much more a program on probation has to do to get absolutely hammered, but if there's no death penalty here, which I think is unlikely, I'm not sure it will ever be used again.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Depressed by this list populated with teams who mostly I just wish would disappear forever. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-10-05/8-mens-basketball-final-four-dark-horses-2022-ncaa-tournament-according-andy

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Big Ten preseason poll

T1-Michigan, 373 (13)
T1-Purdue, 373 (12)
3-Illinois, 320 (3)
4-Ohio State, 316
5-Maryland, 269
6-Michigan State, 262
7-Indiana, 219
8-Rutgers, 208
9-Iowa, 150
10-Wisconsin, 149
11-Nebraska, 105
T12-Northwestern, 81
T12-Penn State, 81
14-Minnesota, 34

Here are the currents rankings in Torvik:

5 - Illinois
7 - Michigan
8 - Purdue
11- OSU
22 - MD
28 - MSU
30 - Indiana
49 - NW
54 - Wisc
59 - RU
61 - Iowa
66 - Neb
80 - PSU
146 - Minn

Computers like NW a bit as a sleeper. Don't really see that. The team I could see surprising is Nebraska based on Hoiberg's history.

The preseason reports from Rutgers have been very encouraging, but they did lose a lot, I'm not that frustrated if they project to the NIT right now. If Baker was affected by being hurt last year, and/or Cliff Omoruyi and Jaden Jones improve a lot, they could be in the mix, guess we'll see! It's probably a 7 bid league unless one of RU, Iowa, or Wisc is better than expected.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

No idea why anyone considers Northwestern a sleeper, they lost their beat player to Indiana and the entire bench is Freshman guards.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Last year you were #77 by Torvik, and compared to other teams, didn't lose a ton. They had NW as a good defensive team last year. KenPom says they had awful luck, #328 out of #357.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
While Myles is a big big loss, if Rutgers doesn't make the tourney again with all their best scorers coming back (and Piekell teams always play decent D) that would be pretty disappointing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Last year you were #77 by Torvik, and compared to other teams, didn't lose a ton. They had NW as a good defensive team last year. KenPom says they had awful luck, #328 out of #357.

they lost 11 games in a row

e: also chris collins is a terrible coach

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mcmagic posted:

While Myles is a big big loss, if Rutgers doesn't make the tourney again with all their best scorers coming back (and Piekell teams always play decent D) that would be pretty disappointing.

No way they'll be as bad as the Yankees were this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Strangely enough on the Kansas front neither Remi Martin nor Joseph Yesufu has won the starting point guard job. Apparently Dajuan Harris, from Columbia MO no less, is the most improved player on the court according to Self and locking down the point. Remi and Yesufu will play certainly. Just interesting since he seemed to be more of a distribution guy but I guess his shot has come a long way. All three guards will play a ton though, considering the Jayhawks run a combo guard system.

And I read we'll be hearing from the NCAA soon about, you know.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You didn't cooperate and are a blue blood, nothing that's going to meaningful impact the team will happen.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Never thought I would live to see this
https://twitter.com/CClemente__/status/1447951103312732160

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
auburn??? basketball school ????????

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Kenpom ticked over to 2022 preseason numbers, so the season is basically underway. (Games start Nov. 9)

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Haven't managed to see a VT basketball game since I was a student back in like 2007. Booking a two or three day layover in Charlotte to catch VT-St Bonaventure, and thinking about taking a week to see the ACCT in Brooklyn. Feels good :D

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

AP Poll

1 Gonzaga (55) 0-0 1,562 1
2 UCLA (8) 0-0 1,459 NR
3 Kansas 0-0 1,427 12
4 Villanova 0-0 1,332 18
5 Texas 0-0 1,315 9
6 Michigan 0-0 1,255 4
7 Purdue 0-0 1,213 20
8 Baylor 0-0 992 3
9 Duke 0-0 963 NR
10 Kentucky 0-0 894 NR
11 Illinois 0-0 861 2
12 Memphis 0-0 831 NR
13 Oregon 0-0 775 NR
14 Alabama 0-0 713 5
15 Houston 0-0 694 6
16 Arkansas 0-0 673 10
17 Ohio State 0-0 581 7
18 Tennessee 0-0 563 NR
19 North Carolina 0-0 547 NR
20 Florida State 0-0 381 14
21 Maryland 0-0 294 NR
22 Auburn 0-0 267 NR
23 St. Bonaventure 0-0 238 NR
24 UConn 0-0 161 NR
25 Virginia 0-0 125 15

Others receiving votes: Michigan State 87, Indiana 41, USC 30, Arizona 26, Virginia Tech 25, Oklahoma State 25, Xavier 22, Texas Tech 17, Richmond 13, Rutgers 11, Colorado State 11, LSU 7, Belmont 7, San Diego State 5, St. John's 5, Mississippi State 5, Syracuse 5, Drake 4, Colorado 4, BYU 3, Notre Dame 3, Louisville 3

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is going to put Tubby Smith's name in the rafters of Rupp when High Point comes to play in Lexington on Dec 31. Very cool honor for him. I know some fans were happy he left, but the reaction seems mostly positive so far. I at least am happy for him.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Kentucky is going to put Tubby Smith's name in the rafters of Rupp when High Point comes to play in Lexington on Dec 31. Very cool honor for him. I know some fans were happy he left, but the reaction seems mostly positive so far. I at least am happy for him.

I'm really happy Tubby gets to go up, he deserves it, and he gets the honor while coaching his alma mater which is neat. There will be a ton of revisionist history written about it, but unfortunately a LOT of UK fans were very thinly veiled or outright direct in saying that Tubby being black is why they wanted him gone.

He won a national title, "hurr durr but he did it with Pitino's players." Who the gently caress cares? He was the coach with an entirely new system and won it all, you go and do that. There were a couple of teams that were a break or two away from going to the Final Four, he won the SEC & SEC Tournament five times each, he is a drat good coach.

When he left Kentucky for Minnesota, I believe it was as much a personal/family decision as a professional one, and the right one for Tubby and his family. Like I said, a very vocal faction of the fanbase was outright hostile towards him.

During the Pitino years, I knew Kentucky winning was good, the first year of basketball I really remember was the "Comeback Cats" the year Tubby won it. The house I grew up in is just a couple of miles from the UK campus, I can remember being on the front stoop and being able to faintly hear the crowds on campus.

Thank you Tubby, you deserve it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Not accusing anyone here of this but there has definitely been a sort eye roll inducing trend amongst a lot of UK fans to pretend that Tubby has always been a beloved figure and not a guy who was run out of town and generally treated pretty horribly for the bulk of his tenure. But I do hope he enjoys it and it's a cool honor for him

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Not accusing anyone here of this but there has definitely been a sort eye roll inducing trend amongst a lot of UK fans to pretend that Tubby has always been a beloved figure and not a guy who was run out of town and generally treated pretty horribly for the bulk of his tenure. But I do hope he enjoys it and it's a cool honor for him

Oh he was most definitely run out of town, I hated it for him then, and I totally agree that some fans will conveniently forget that. Especially the ones that were most complicit. The big hit is he only had one Final Four, and that one was Pitino's players. People forget, and even forgot by the end of his tenure, how good the 2003 team was that ran into Dwyane Wade in the Elite 8, or that he was a double overtime loss to Michigan St. from another Final Four.

Part of the revisionist history is how hated Pitino has become among the UK fan base so they're more willing to give Tubby credit now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Oh he was most definitely run out of town, I hated it for him then, and I totally agree that some fans will conveniently forget that. Especially the ones that were most complicit. The big hit is he only had one Final Four, and that one was Pitino's players. People forget, and even forgot by the end of his tenure, how good the 2003 team was that ran into Dwyane Wade in the Elite 8, or that he was a double overtime loss to Michigan St. from another Final Four.

Part of the revisionist history is how hated Pitino has become among the UK fan base so they're more willing to give Tubby credit now.

Those are two of those games that I'll never forget where I was and who I was with. The Patrick Sparks three and the review, the game that made Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade.

If Keith Bogans hadn't hurt his ankle :qq:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All the UK fans that ran Tubby out of town had a crash course on instant karma when Billy Gillispie was hired and proceeded to drink Bourbon County dry

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Would anyone wanna make a discord too talk about live games somewhere, other than the GDT?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Smashlampjaw posted:

Would anyone wanna make a discord too talk about live games somewhere, other than the GDT?

There's already a SAS discord, and if you get enough folks, or talk enough on your own, it's not hard to get the mods there to create new channels or temp channels.

Although, poo poo's sorta devolved there since last time I stopped in.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 27, 2021

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
lol that the NCAA has to get one last petty shot in

quote:

Illinois star center Kofi Cockburn has been suspended by the NCAA for the first three games of the regular season for selling "institutionally issued apparel and memorabilia" in June, the school announced on Monday.

The sales would have been legal under name, image and likeness legislation in the state of Illinois, which was enacted on July 1, but it was illegal under NCAA rules at the time because it took place in June.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

absolute dumbest poo poo imaginable

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Apparently Okie State is getting a post-season ban because one kid took $300 once, and even paid it back after getting caught. WTF?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Should never cooperate with the ncaa.

https://twitter.com/TDWiederhoeft/status/1455933713917825025

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Apparently Okie State is getting a post-season ban because one kid took $300 once, and even paid it back after getting caught. WTF?

Oklahoma State very stupidly decided not to deny deny deny

Everyone should always remember that North Carolina got out of NCAA sanctions by literally telling the NCAA "no, these dogshit-easy classes that would insult a 5th grader are the sort of thing we offer all our students on all degree paths" and the NCAA had no choice but to accept it because no one broke omerta.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Richard Pitino did a very Pitino thing and run under the assumption that because he gave Matthew Hurt's mediocre brother Michael (I worked in SE Minnesota high schools at the time so I saw both play) a scholarship that Matt would just automatically go to the U of M. He had teams that were repeatedly crushed by injuries, but it doesn't surprise me that some now-pro Minnesotans are teeing off on him.

And most importantly the dude was just 30 when he was hired, so he probably wouldn't have been considered remotely ready to coach a D1 team if it wasn't for his last name.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 4, 2021

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Looks like Houston just got their first one-and-done:

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1456411807615180806

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Really, really loving hate that Liberty gets to climb the conference ranks. C-USA isn’t what it was but it’s still more revenue and more time dealing with their poo poo.

https://twitter.com/conferenceusa/status/1456697933492113409?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

season starts today, whole shitload of games

first tipoff is 3 eastern, highlight games are the MSG double bill of Kansas vs. Michigan State and Kentucky vs. Duke