Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wow China must have coincidently come across some exonerating evidence in their cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wow the United States must have coincidently come across some exonerating evidence in their case.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It took them what, months to come up with a charge for two guys they seized before going "Uhhhh, espionage?", then immediately dropping everything when their privileged billionaire tycoon gets to leave the country.

Everyone knew exactly what this was from the start.

Hmmm . . .

https://twitter.com/csiscanada/status/1441571942721593345

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

I doubt Kovrig and Spavor are getting reparations for arbitrary detainment.

Well one of them was convicted and sentenced so that couldn't possibly be arbitrary.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eXXon posted:

Well one of them was convicted and sentenced so that couldn't possibly be arbitrary.

On an espionage charge that has seemingly been dropped almost as if it was completely made up as justification for detaining him in retaliation.

Funny that.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I’m glad the hostage exchange worked out well for all parties.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We should do this more often.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I bet the Conservatives are mad Trudeau didn’t do this during the election so they could accuse him of doing this just for votes.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Arc Hammer posted:

On an espionage charge that has seemingly been dropped almost as if it was completely made up as justification for detaining him in retaliation.

Funny that.

We already knew Michaels and frame jobs went together well.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Crow Buddy posted:

I assume that the Chinese government has assets (perhaps not though) in Canada.

Maybe Huawei, but I assume that would be an order of magnitude tougher to prove.

hahahahha

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Evis posted:

I think Australia are a much closer ally to the US than Canada and have been for some time.

I mean they couped them once, I imagine the US government still wields a very large outsized influence on Aussie politics

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Peace offering from CSPAM

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Arc Hammer posted:

Funny that.

rofl are you people serious?

Canada abducted the daughter of a CEO on request from the US, the most lawless nation in international relations ever. Of course it was a retaliation, but their targets weren't random, the Michaels are valuable, connected intelligence assets.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Canada abducted the daughter of a CEO on request from the US, the most lawless nation in international relations ever. Of course it was a retaliation, but their targets weren't random, the Michaels are valuable, connected intelligence assets.

I wonder if China’s counterintelligence knows who all the five eyes agents are in their country and just feed them bullshit until it’s politically convenient to arrest them the way they did the two Mike’s.
These guys obviously work for CSIS and while I’m glad to see them back Im starting to think the Chinese are kicking all of our asses at the espionage game.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

Welcome to the cold war.

Maybe in 30 years we'll have some more good spy movies.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

lol at "daughter of a CEO", she's a 49-year-old CFO

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
CSIS DAILY MEETING AGENDA
=========================

1.) Devise codename for agents that is not "Michael"
Mike
Mikey
Mikel
Mykal
Maykel
Michel

CSIS DAILY MEETING SUMMARY
==========================

- MICHAEL R ASKS "can't their codename be different from their real name?"
----- MICHAEL R IS SHOT DEAD BY MICHAEL Z, FOUND BROWN GUY TO BLAME AND IMPRISON FOR 14 YEARS
- AGENDA INCOMPLETE
- TASK DEEMED IMPOSSIBLE

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Maigou

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Honest question and not challenging anything, but is there any good sources about the case against the Michaels? Searching online brings up absolutely nothing, just news articles that basically assume from the start that the charges are BS. I'm open to the idea that they were assets, but I honestly haven't heard anyone argue that anywhere other than here, and it's just sort of taken as a given anytime it's brought up here or in C-SPAM.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

enki42 posted:

Honest question and not challenging anything, but is there any good sources about the case against the Michaels? Searching online brings up absolutely nothing, just news articles that basically assume from the start that the charges are BS. I'm open to the idea that they were assets, but I honestly haven't heard anyone argue that anywhere other than here, and it's just sort of taken as a given anytime it's brought up here or in C-SPAM.

There are no good sources because the trials in China and all associated evidence were done behind closed doors. Not even Canadian diplomats were allowed in.

Spavor is the one involved in North Korea (and formally convicted in China). There are Westerners that live and work North Korea, and all of them must be spies. You can safely ignore C-SPAM, they're the type to call random Israelis Mossad (and this is a very common form of antisemitic harassment).

My Canadian friend was involved with a documentary on ice hockey in North Korea: https://www.closingthegaphockey.com/

They're all spies.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Hey remember that time Canada arrested a foreign national at the request of the Trump government in the middle of new NAFTA negotiations and everyone acted shocked when China retaliated, lol

International politics is loving pathetic

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

enki42 posted:

Just their general profile, work at the embassy, careers, and the response from government frankly, everything about them screams 'I work work in intelligence'.

Likely they hadn't actually done anything that directly broke any law directly (or done anything in particular that would make them more 'guilty' than dozens of other people there), but that's what espionage laws are for, it's a vague charge to begin with. But Meng hadn't broken any law the warranted her arrest either, especially one Canada should've been agreeable to enforce. This was a cold war hostage taking, with the US acting somewhat unilaterally under Trump and likely being caught off guard by the response. The last few years has been a lot of US actions being met with resistance or responses they don't expect, they aren't adjusting well to no longer being the only big player.

e: like, there's more than just 2 Canadian nationals in China right now, they didn't just start looking at who was Canadian and pick 2 people at random. In fact the Michaels are probably at some level go betweens, people the Chinese intelligence apparatus deals with on the reg to communicate with Canada unofficially. Despite competition and animosity, its very common for powers not in direct open war to be talking to each other so neither trips up and causes something incidents that balloon into a confrontation neither side really wants.

Like say, kidnapping a CFO.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 25, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

i fly airplanes posted:

There are no good sources because the trials in China and all associated evidence were done behind closed doors. Not even Canadian diplomats were allowed in.

Spavor is the one involved in North Korea (and formally convicted in China). There are Westerners that live and work North Korea, and all of them must be spies. You can safely ignore C-SPAM, they're the type to call random Israelis Mossad (and this is a very common form of antisemitic harassment).

My Canadian friend was involved with a documentary on ice hockey in North Korea: https://www.closingthegaphockey.com/

They're all spies.

Incredible that you somehow brought up antisemitism here

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
China!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just their general profile, work at the embassy, careers, and the response from government frankly, everything about them screams 'I work work in intelligence'.

Likely they hadn't actually done anything that directly broke any law directly (or done anything in particular that would make them more 'guilty' than dozens of other people there), but that's what espionage laws are for, it's a vague charge to begin with. But Meng hadn't broken any law the warranted her arrest either, especially one Canada should've been agreeable to enforce. This was a cold war hostage taking, with the US acting somewhat unilaterally under Trump and likely being caught off guard by the response. The last few years has been a lot of US actions being met with resistance or responses they don't expect, they aren't adjusting well to no longer being the only big player.

e: like, there's more than just 2 Canadian nationals in China right now, they didn't just start looking at who was Canadian and pick 2 people at random. In fact the Michaels are probably at some level go betweens, people the Chinese intelligence apparatus deals with on the reg to communicate with Canada unofficially. Despite competition and animosity, its very common for powers not in direct open war to be talking to each other so neither trips up and causes something incidents that balloon into a confrontation neither side really wants.

Like say, kidnapping a CFO.

Don’t you mean a daughter of a CEO?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why do people care so much about a billionaire CFO that they need to come into this thread every time there's news about her? If Elena Ford, Chief Customer Experience Officer at Ford Motor Company, were arrested in Mongolia or Vietnam, at China's request would any of us give a poo poo? I wouldn't. I also don't give a poo poo about the spies. All the people involved in this suck and all of their luxurious suffering is still too good for them. Countries should be arresting more CEOs and CFOs, not less, and if the path to do that is countries arresting each other's business leaders then that's all good by me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

are you serious

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

We should do this more often.
'I was detained as part of an international game of chicken and all I got was this stupid t-shirt' coming soon to airport giftshops.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The same people who made fun of Chinese Canadians bringing gifts to Meng Wanzhou's home will donate to a go fund me for the Michaels as soon as they can

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We should be arresting more CFOs, not less imo

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Alctel posted:

We should be arresting more CFOs, not less imo

Start with the lovely Canadian ones then. Loblaw and any oil company.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why do people care so much about a billionaire CFO that they need to come into this thread every time there's news about her?

I'm a temporarily embarrassed billionaire CFO and I'm worried about the same thing happening to me one day.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I've never cared about any of this but it's always in the loving news

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

yes? Arresting Meng was loving insane! The reasoning for it was ludicrous, it was transparently a hostage taking for the US

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why do people care so much about a billionaire CFO that they need to come into this thread every time there's news about her? If Elena Ford, Chief Customer Experience Officer at Ford Motor Company, were arrested in Mongolia or Vietnam, at China's request would any of us give a poo poo? I wouldn't. I also don't give a poo poo about the spies. All the people involved in this suck and all of their luxurious suffering is still too good for them. Countries should be arresting more CEOs and CFOs, not less, and if the path to do that is countries arresting each other's business leaders then that's all good by me.

this is because you think business and government are seperate spheres. they really aren't, especially with transnationals or major firms. This Fiasco was a major incident at high levels between US and China with Canada as the proxy. It doesn't matter at all to the everyday lives of people on the ground but in the halls of power this was an extremely important event.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

this is because you think business and government are seperate spheres. they really aren't, especially with transnationals or major firms. This Fiasco was a major incident at high levels between US and China with Canada as the proxy. It doesn't matter at all to the everyday lives of people on the ground but in the halls of power this was an extremely important event.
Oh wow, really? Rich people care about other rich people and are uncomfortable when one rich person gets arrested because it makes the world one tiny drop less safe for them? Rich people in the US are tightly connected with those who pull the levers of power, just as the rich people in China are connected with those in the Chinese government?

This is a shocking piece of information I would never have realized before this incident! My eyes have been opened!

I know drat well why the governments involved have gone through this whole charade. I'm asking why I should give a poo poo and why you, as a human being who I presume is neither a transnational executive nor a government mover and shaker nor a spy, gives a poo poo?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
lot of angry words to say you don't care

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Oh wow, really? Rich people care about other rich people and are uncomfortable when one rich person gets arrested because it makes the world one tiny drop less safe for them? Rich people in the US are tightly connected with those who pull the levers of power, just as the rich people in China are connected with those in the Chinese government?

This is a shocking piece of information I would never have realized before this incident! My eyes have been opened!

I know drat well why the governments involved have gone through this whole charade. I'm asking why I should give a poo poo and why you, as a human being who I presume is neither a transnational executive nor a government mover and shaker nor a spy, gives a poo poo?

oh, well, no reason. Like you, personally, yeah don't worry about it.

It's international politics directly involving Canada so I'm interested due to my brain defect that makes me follow all this crap even as it is totally irrelevant to my life. If you have this brain problem its quite engaging and fun to watch.

e: which I guess I just assumed us why we are all here

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Canada never should have arrested Meng Wanzhou and we shouldn't be participating in the American belligerence against China and Iran anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

Canada never should have arrested Meng Wanzhou and we shouldn't be participating in the American belligerence against China and Iran anyway.

Ideally but what would happen if we hadn't

The cusma was signed literally the day before she was arrested lol