Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

empty whippet box posted:

yea, here it'll get 10 other people to come in and gleefully call you slurs while going on multi paragraph diatribes about why it's fine for them to use slurs and you should quit complaining.

really funny that the same forum that has a stick up its rear end about having the moral high ground on dnd also can't stop obsessively begging to be allowed to use slurs with the excuse 'we simply can't stop, people won't stop no matter what, so you should just give up and let it happen'

lift the word ban. then let’s see. at least that takes any moral high ground of making a point about the euphemisms. let people be their real lovely selves if they want. and conversely let them be their real human selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

yea, here it'll get 10 other people to come in and gleefully call you slurs while going on multi paragraph diatribes about why it's fine for them to use slurs and you should quit complaining.

really funny that the same forum that has a stick up its rear end about having the moral high ground on dnd also can't stop obsessively begging to be allowed to use slurs with the excuse 'we simply can't stop, people won't stop no matter what, so you should just give up and let it happen'

Respectfully, I think people yell at you because you’re perpetually indignant and difficult to be around, not because they love saying slurs and would be dropping n-bombs all day if you weren’t around.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the mods will lose funding if their probe metrics go down from no more probing usage of the word because the bad word bingo list requires no judgment and is easy to enforce and gives the appearance that modding is necessary

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

Respectfully, I think people yell at you because you’re perpetually indignant and difficult to be around, not because they love saying slurs and would be dropping n-bombs all day if you weren’t around.

:hai:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

fr0id posted:

Like, a person I know telling me “hey man your use of that bothers me” is gonna do way more than an arbitrary authority telling me I got caught breaking the rule and get a probe would.

aren't certain words banned because enough people have already said that?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

no one is mad about "not being allowed to say slurs" lmao what deranged mind came up with poo poo

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I am

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the larry word

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

this account was created shortly after How Are U caught a 6er. interesting

like it is very transparently How are u, one of the worst fedposters on the forums

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

no one is mad about "not being allowed to say slurs" lmao what deranged mind came up with poo poo

I think this line of thinking should be given the benefit of a doubt. like there are people like that. but I think most CSPAM posters just hate word police and want to spit at them. if it becomes the r slur forum then I dunno ban those posters on sight outside the forum, shut it down, or stop caring. word policing one word isn’t doing anything though.

edit: mods have always had, and should have, the power to ban or probate someone for just being a complete rear end in a top hat. if someone is just constantly dropping the r slur, it’s simple enough to say they’re an rear end in a top hat, ban them, and if folks complain on qcs just say “sorry they’re an rear end in a top hat and I kept seeing them saying the slur and otherwise being an rear end in a top hat.” no one who has malicious intent is going to ONLY post the slur with no other hint of being lovely. they will always out themselves otherwise.

fr0id has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Sep 25, 2021

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

It seems to me that the best way to figure out if somebody is a bigot or crypto-whatever is just to interrogate their social/political beliefs rather than using arbitrary shibboleths ie do they say the bad word that we all decided is bad. This would probably not fly though in the threads where being leftist means posting heckin tweeets, trmolp memes and cattes so it stands to reason that it’s become an issue.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

TheSlutPit posted:

It seems to me that the best way to figure out if somebody is a bigot or crypto-whatever is just to interrogate their social/political beliefs rather than using arbitrary shibboleths ie do they say the bad word that we all decided is bad. This would probably not fly though in the threads where being leftist means posting heckin tweeets, trmolp memes and cattes so it stands to reason that it’s become an issue.

also if, let’s say, the entirety of the leftist forum hated the person and wanted them gone. I wonder if there’s anyone like that, say on the first page…

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

posters: also free Larry

mods: well actually we would like to do that but our hands are tied. it was in fact the decision of the forum admins

jeff: yes I made that decision unilaterally

posters: ok then why did three mods and an admin say it was the decision of the cspam mods when it was brought up in qcs, and also that their hands were similarly tied?

(silence)
posters: also why the gently caress are you forum banning someone because you got sick of people whining at you to do it - why not simply ignore those people?

(silence)

"you have one more try to be funny"

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Gulping Again posted:

like it is very transparently How are u, one of the worst fedposters on the forums
yeah why isn't that alt getting perma'd along with the original account it's pretty loving obvious what's going on there and iirc ban evasion is a perma-able offense

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
it's only an offense if a mod bothers to find out if its occuring you see

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

moron and idiot are arguably more problematic since those were terms used when the diagnosis meant immediate sterilization and/or internment.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
language is arbitrary / contextual / a mistake

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fr0id posted:

lift the word ban.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

yeah why isn't that alt getting perma'd along with the original account it's pretty loving obvious what's going on there and iirc ban evasion is a perma-able offense
If it was HAU, I would be chain probing them, but it's not

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Can't believe Larry died :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheSlutPit posted:

Yeah. A lot of drama and accusations of posters holding heinous beliefs/doing heinous poo poo seems to stem from people being unable to recognize that the conflicts they're in stem from a clash of personalities/people disliking them as a poster, so they default to assuming the conflict is an ideological struggle where their opponent is on the wrong side of everything. When in fact, it's just a matter of people thinking your posting is tedious beyond belief.

Epic High Five posted:

Who is saying this. Trump thread posters here just dont want it moved on the grounds that the reasons given are all really dumb
People remember their interactions past a single thread. The last feedback/mod suggestion thread had precisely what I mentioned. Plus a ton of really loving bad posting from trump thread regulars, which probably shifted a bunch of people into the "gas trump thread" camp. Obviously that then encourages pushback from trump thread regulars, and on it goes.

Jazerus posted:

but it's simply historical revisionism to claim that it was never an unusually important thread, which is what the anti-trump-thread posters who are bizarrely aggressive and want to eliminate it tend to do.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. In any case, the historical importance of the trump thread is entirely irrelevant to modern cspam, and shouldn't be brought up as an argument for anything. Whatever it contributed to cspam culture is part of cspam culture as a whole, and thus all of cspam is as much an heir to that legacy as the current version of the trump thread is.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

since you’re the mod and this is the mod feedback thread and you’ve presumably taken on more responsibility than shitposting to legitimate feedback, would you care to elaborate?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

fr0id posted:

since you’re the mod and this is the mod feedback thread and you’ve presumably taken on more responsibility than shitposting to legitimate feedback, would you care to elaborate?

you're never going to trap a mod in a web of logic, nor will you shame them, because they do not give a poo poo about your opinion, nor do they have shame. they dont have to. they have buttons.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
motherfucker i worked hard to know this many words

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
houldn't

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

i know that one too

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Bullshit

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

It's believable that forum staff can't be certain that it is or isn't HAU since apparently de-anonymized sales records aren't available at all? So that leaves IP and I guess maybe some other tools I'm not thinking of, but it's basically all going to be stuff that you can get around if you want to. At least that's my understanding of how it works.

But it's 100% HAU.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I don't think I've ever seen you post anything except yelling about how bullied and attacked you feel. I'm not sure why you keep posting somewhere that makes you so unhappy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i like cspam but the succ thread and greenwald threads can get kinda cringe

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Free Larry

Ban every mod who was a mod during the Larry ban

Make me admin

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

fr0id posted:

I think most CSPAM posters just hate word police and want to spit at them.

Yeah this. My only use of the word retard in all of SA was in the argument about using the word on these forums. I don't see the need to use it myself so
I don't care if it's banned. I don't even really mind it when someone is like "hey can you please not use that word" and it stops there. But when it's loving pages and pages of the argument it's like why the gently caress are we going to all this effort over a loving word?

It strikes me as petty authoritarianism. Like someone getting mad at blasphemy. Especially when it's either against forum rules in which case report and move on, or it's not against the rules so what gives you the right to enforce your own personal posting rules on other posters? Express your discomfort/objection at seeing the word used if you want but let it go if that poster doesn't care. When is it ever going to achieve something to get into a big slap-fight over it? Is ArfJason or whoever gonna be like "oh drat [insert poster here] is real mad about me saying retard I should reflect on my actions and change my ways"? gently caress no. So can we just not go through the whole pointless ordeal?

I don't even dislike empty whippet box, I've enjoyed a number of their posts, but every time I see the complaint over this issue I'm just like for fucks saaaake

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
thank you for making this thread your modesties

look, i cant speak without slurring. and ive only got my grade 10 and i havent had a cigarette since this thread started and im ready to loving snap. so id like to make a request under the peoples freedom of choices and voices act that i be able to slur and smoke. because if i cant smoke and slur im hosed. and so are all these guys

i wont be able to properly express myself and thats bullshit. its not fair and if you ask me i think its a loving mistrial

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

delete d&d

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's believable that forum staff can't be certain that it is or isn't HAU since apparently de-anonymized sales records aren't available at all? So that leaves IP and I guess maybe some other tools I'm not thinking of, but it's basically all going to be stuff that you can get around if you want to. At least that's my understanding of how it works.

But it's 100% HAU.

It's not because he was in the D&D thunderdome, so he's either switching accounts really fast, or this is just someone else trolling.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

cumshitter posted:

thank you for making this thread your modesties

look, i cant speak without slurring. and ive only got my grade 10 and i havent had a cigarette since this thread started and im ready to loving snap. so id like to make a request under the peoples freedom of choices and voices act that i be able to slur and smoke. because if i cant smoke and slur im hosed. and so are all these guys

i wont be able to properly express myself and thats bullshit. its not fair and if you ask me i think its a loving mistrial

make like a tree and fuxk off

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the only feedback is to make a little door so larry can get back in. the slurs argument is beyond worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

free Larry