Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
45 INT is a noticeable (~10%) advantage over 40 only if you are using Logan’s catalyst. 50 is also a marginal (~5%) advantage over 45 but only if you are using the tin crystal catalyst. Leveling beyond 50 is never worth it no matter what catalyst you use. The only other reason to go to 50 is if you want to cast white dragon breath.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Think of WDB as an AoE version of heavy soul arrow. It rips the phalanx in Ariamis to shreds. If you're interested in farming them.

Don't, btw.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Phobophilia posted:

Think of WDB as an AoE version of heavy soul arrow. It rips the phalanx in Ariamis to shreds. If you're interested in farming them.

Don't, btw.

Yeah. Don't. Whichever bigass Fireball does this just as well, and requires WAY less investment, soulswise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

midrange bombs?

lol
The first time I played a Sorcerer, I beat Gwynn in 3 casts of Dark Bead
And I didn't even know about Power Within at the time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is weight capacity harder to get up in DS3? I feel like I put a considerable amount and I am still only at like 64 capped. (not home to verify)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Is weight capacity harder to get up in DS3? I feel like I put a considerable amount and I am still only at like 64 capped. (not home to verify)

I think it gives you 1 equip weight per point both in 1 and 3, no? Only difference is that it's its own attribute in DS3
E: 99END in 1 and 99VIT in 3 will both give you 139 max equip load

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 23, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Havel's Ring+Ring of Favor+Prisoner's Chain are mandatory rings if you want to use the really heavy poo poo, even after dumping dozens of souls into Vitality.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Horace Kinch posted:

Havel's Ring+Ring of Favor+Prisoner's Chain are mandatory rings if you want to use the really heavy poo poo, even after dumping dozens of souls into Vitality.

Yeah I've got these (plus the first two in their +3 forms) and am at like 85% with Drakeblood armor, Fume Ultra Greatsword, Havel's Shield and an Arbalest. e: oh and like 40 vitality.

Tanking some bosses is possible with the greatshield, like Gael. But big monster fights are a lot less fun.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 23, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GrossMurpel posted:

:wtc:
Wait are you talking about 1 or 3? Because in 1 it's the designated boss nuke class

What thread are you in?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
After many years of 'wanting to be the sort of person who actually played a souls game' and having a few false starts (losing to gundyr, obviously) I finally managed to finish the game and even do NG+, I mean, I did summon dudes from the onlines for a few bosses cause... I don't know you can try fighting the dancer for 30 times in order to try to prove that you're not a noob scrub but at some point you just gotta admit that you are a noob scrub. I enjoyed the game a lot, I tried to get good and learn how to parry things but generally it seems I can only consistently parry against non-champion gundyr, I tried to play DS2 and it felt too slow and clunky compared to 3 and I'm not sure I'm really down for that, I'm undecided whether I want to buy Sekiro or just wait for Elden Ring.

Tried some PVP but it generally seemed like either it was pretty random playing against guys who were scrubs like me or otherwise I'd play against folks who'd completely wipe the floor with me, or some guys who'd use cheesy stunlocking techniques which was pretty annoying.

I tried starting a new play through to see if I actually got good but I got killed by Gundyr's second form like 5 times so I guess the answer is no. oh well.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 23, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What kind of build? Maybe you'd have more fun with spells rather than trying to learn how to melee everything?

I had more fun on my sorcerer than my dex/luck build. I'm not great at melee, which is why my SL1 boss attempts are numerous.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
First playthrough I just used a lothric long sword + medium shield and hefty armor, then in NG+ I switched to vordt's hammer and it was more satisfying, now in the new run I started as assassin and tried to play naked for the fast roll, I'm trying to use the uchigatana for the weapon art parry but I really can't pull it off consistently even against simple dagger or sword hollows, I got dunked on by Sir Hodrick multiple times last night. Felt bad.

I think the most fun I had was in NG+ when the margin of error is much higher, soul of cinder was generally very easy the second time around and many bosses can be defeated pretty easily with a heavy attacks as long as you roll until you see a very obvious opening.

But really, I enjoyed it, despite dying a lot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Zesty posted:

What thread are you in?

The one that just talked about DS1 sorcs and pyros for the last day or so :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vintersorg posted:

They progressively got more and more restrictive (or if you prefer, properly balanced :v:) when it came to weight management as the series went on. You have to invest pretty deep into Vitality even with all the rings that boost it to get away with lugging around the really heavy poo poo. The pacing of level ups is also a bit different in 3, which makes it feel even slower to inch that number up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

3 has almost exactly the same level costs as 1 and BB, and DeS for that matter. DS2 is the outlier.

How leveling the equip load stat actually relates to equip load amount might have changed I guess, idk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

After some reading it seems they upped it to 70% for normal rolls here vs 50% in DS1. So while harder to get up - you can get away with a little more.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

After some reading it seems they upped it to 70% for normal rolls here vs 50% in DS1. So while harder to get up - you can get away with a little more.

Rolling with 69.9% in DS3 is better than rolling with 25.1% in DS1. Same i-frames, lower stamina cost

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

3 has almost exactly the same level costs as 1 and BB, and DeS for that matter. DS2 is the outlier.

How leveling the equip load stat actually relates to equip load amount might have changed I guess, idk.

Yeah, but what about how many souls enemies and soul items give?

Plus, y'know, the pretty fundamental change of splitting equip weight off of Endurance.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GrossMurpel posted:

The one that just talked about DS1 sorcs and pyros for the last day or so :)

and the guy I was replying to was clearly talking about DS3. Sorry it's hard for you to keep up. :shrug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I tried to play DS2 and it felt too slow and clunky compared to 3 and I'm not sure I'm really down for that

You need to dump your first 20 levels or so into Adaptability to get you Agility up.

Nothing in game tells you to do this, but agility regulates stuff like how fast you evade, chug estus and how many invincibility frames you get while rolling.

DS2 will feel a lot faster. Play DS2, it’s weird and good.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

emanresu tnuocca posted:

After many years of 'wanting to be the sort of person who actually played a souls game' and having a few false starts (losing to gundyr, obviously) I finally managed to finish the game and even do NG+, I mean, I did summon dudes from the onlines for a few bosses cause... I don't know you can try fighting the dancer for 30 times in order to try to prove that you're not a noob scrub but at some point you just gotta admit that you are a noob scrub. I enjoyed the game a lot, I tried to get good and learn how to parry things but generally it seems I can only consistently parry against non-champion gundyr, I tried to play DS2 and it felt too slow and clunky compared to 3 and I'm not sure I'm really down for that, I'm undecided whether I want to buy Sekiro or just wait for Elden Ring.

Tried some PVP but it generally seemed like either it was pretty random playing against guys who were scrubs like me or otherwise I'd play against folks who'd completely wipe the floor with me, or some guys who'd use cheesy stunlocking techniques which was pretty annoying.

I tried starting a new play through to see if I actually got good but I got killed by Gundyr's second form like 5 times so I guess the answer is no. oh well.

Holy poo poo if you liked (the idea of) parrying and things to be not clunky then get Sekiro immediately

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing about parrying in DS3 is that it's inherently risky. If you miss you take a good chunk of health and stamina damage. It roots you to the ground, and therefore leaves you vulnerable to backstabs. And the parrying animation lasts almost a second, again leaving you vulnerable.

I'm of the opinion that parrying in DS3 is only useful in certain situations, against opponents with a ton of poise and predictable attack animations. So Gundyr and Pontiff Sulyvahn. Cathedral Evangelists. Cathedral and Lothric Knights. Harald Knights, maybe. Some of these guys can be reaction parried, others can be prediction parried.

Similar with Bloodborne, gun parries are most useful against mid-to-small enemies. And much less risky, you can space out an enemy so that you're not even vulnerable to the attack they're throwing out. And even if you were in range, the brief hitstun from the bullet is often enough for you to dodge away. And you can literally bait out prediction parries, for instance, R1 a Church Servant, and they will most likely counterattack with a stave strike, which you immediately prediction parry by pressing L2.

Deflecting in Sekiro is not just non-risky, it's outright optimal. The animation is brief, and even if you mistime it, you fall back into a block state.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
BTW managed to nail NG3+ Nameless King on my first try this session. I've learnt two tricks for spacing him out. When King of the Storms circles around you, just run right, effectively circling him, and the lightning spear he throws at you will miss. When he does his followup dive, just run backwards, and the spear strike will miss. And this will position you almost perfectly for a punishment strike against his head.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phobophilia posted:

just run backwards

This works against so much poo poo, it's hilarious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vintersorg posted:

it's harder to get the number up as high but it's still way more lenient because you only need to be under 70% for a good roll and going beyond that has very middling results for most builds

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

This works against so much poo poo, it's hilarious.

This works on a lot of DS/Bloodborne bosses. On BB's DLC, when Ludwig does the stomp attack (high jump that will likely put him out of the camera), just run in a straight line in any direction and it'll miss.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
soulsborne pro tip 1: run passed enemies to avoid dying

soulsborne pro tip 2: to avoid dying to bosses, run backwards

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

For Bloodborne I found dodging towards bosses was way more effective. Backing away seems to get punished a whole lot more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bloodborne is all about Beyoncé.

To the left.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I kept getting hit by Dancer's lovely grab hitbox until I had the genius idea to circlestrafe clockwise rather than counter clockwise

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GrossMurpel posted:

I kept getting hit by Dancer's lovely grab hitbox until I had the genius idea to circlestrafe clockwise rather than counter clockwise

This is the #1 thing that trips me up. I get locked into dodging a certain way and then oops, here's an enemy that's incompatible with that way why am I dying all of a sudden???

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Some bosses just have optimal circling directions.

Vordt: roll right
Dancer: roll left
Demon: roll right
Pontiff: roll left
Dragonslayer: roll right
Lorian: roll right
Nameless King: roll right
Soul of Cinder: roll left
Gael: roll right

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I suppose it should be obvious based on where their most dangerous attacks are coming from, but I'm just so used to dudes with shields that I habitually strafe right. Hell, I kept doing it in Sekiro even until I told myself to stop it cause it kept making me miss Mikiris

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Phobophilia posted:

Soul of Cinder: roll left

Weird, I naturally tend to dodge left or back and in my recent NG+ run I died to SoC like five times before I forced myself to dodge right, at which point it could not touch me anymore. It was especially noticeable vs the thrust attacks iirc, I got nailed by those every time when going left, might be specific to those.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
OK fine, Soul of Cinder tip is kind of bad advice because his moveset is so diverse. Also, most of his attacks from his right have narrow arcs, while attacks from his left tend to have wide arcs, so yeah, I suppose dodging right may be a better idea.

BTW, I need tips for Demon Prince, phase 2. I feel like I'm so close to beating him SL20 +2 weapons. However, there is one move that keeps Getting Me. That move where he leaps into the air and slightly backwards, and just loving chaos dunks me into the own zone. I just can't work out the roll timing, and I don't know how to space it. Like can I run in one direction and avoid it? Should I lock on so I have a better view of when he approaches the ground? And is there a good tell for when he starts to do that move? I think he starts flapping his wings and lifting himself off the ground when he initiates that attack, but I can't be sure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God I love this loving game.

Also the loving Irithyll Dungeon jump scares still got my heart racing. I can't wait to get a PS5 and see if Tower of Latria still fucks me up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I read the other day that DeS remake is coming to that PlayStation service that lets you play on PC so that's loving amazing, however that works

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What are the casting speed breakpoints for dexterity, and is there a point in which you have enough Dex that the cast speed ring doesn’t do anything?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Absolutely.

Base: Casting cap 50 dex
Sage Ring +0: Casting cap 20 dex
Sage Ring +1: Casting cap 15 dex
Sage Ring +2: Casting cap 10 dex

Don't get dex as a caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku